Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***NFL Draft Talk***

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Señor Trumpo

***NFL Draft Talk***

Post by Señor Trumpo »

How sweet would this be for the Vikings?
salamander

Re: ***NFL Draft Talk***

Post by salamander »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:57 pm
:shock:
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

This rumor is stupid on its face. There is no way that the CommanderSKins have already made this determination at this point in the draft evaluation process. ZERO chance. And there is no way they would make that decision sans a head coach being hired.

Does anyone really believe this?
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:55 pm This rumor is stupid on its face. There is no way that the CommanderSKins have already made this determination at this point in the draft evaluation process. ZERO chance. And there is no way they would make that decision sans a head coach being hired.

There is a reason why everyone is bailing on that job. Maybe the owner Snyder 2.0
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Post by Da Gas Man's Ghost »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:55 pm This rumor is stupid on its face. There is no way that the CommanderSKins have already made this determination at this point in the draft evaluation process. ZERO chance. And there is no way they would make that decision sans a head coach being hired.

It makes sense when you think about it.

The people in Washington have seen plenty of Nix as he played for Oregon. Although, you would think they would prefer Penix Jr. as he played for Washington.

;)
Pronouns: They/him/hers

Hopeful Member of the Crique.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

this guy?
Spoiler:
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:22 pm
this guy?
Spoiler:
LIke I have said earlier, Caleb Williams is a fucking idiot to do that. Chicago WORSHIPS its sports heroes and has a huge endorsement market. It is a major sport city and a major city of the world, despite it being turned into a shithole by their liberal mayors. Where does he want to go? L.A? Maybe the Giants will Eli Manning him which is a possibility but a long shot one.

If you are Caleb Williams you should WANT to go to the Bears and be part of the Jordan-Ditka-Bobby fucking Hull-Jim McMahon-Scottie Pippen-Ernie Banks etc etc lists of heroes. Chicago sports teams are followed all across the nation and there are an inordinate number of Chicago sports themed restaurants and sports bars all over the US.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:45 pm
this guy?
Spoiler:
LIke I have said earlier, Caleb Williams is a fucking idiot to do that. Chicago WORSHIPS its sports heroes and has a huge endorsement market. It is a major sport city and a major city of the world, despite it being turned into a shithole by their liberal mayors. Where does he want to go? L.A? Maybe the Giants will Eli Manning him which is a possibility but a long shot one.

If you are Caleb Williams you should WANT to go to the Bears and be part of the Jordan-Ditka-Bobby fucking Hull-Jim McMahon-Scottie Pippen-Ernie Banks etc etc lists of heroes. Chicago sports teams are followed all across the nation and there are an inordinate number of Chicago sports themed restaurants and sports bars all over the US.
the thing is he didn't do that. this guy is just throwing shit out there.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:00 pm
mlhouse wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:45 pm

this guy?
Spoiler:

the thing is he didn't do that. this guy is just throwing shit out there.
Ah yeah, it's nonsense, as is the "Bo Nix taken 2nd" garbage. I laughed out loud on that one. :lol:
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:47 pm
Great pick as an early 2nd round guy.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:51 pm
He's a top 20 prospect. Super disruptive and only 20 years old.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:51 pm
Good prospect. DOn't see him as a top 20 guy in the NFL draft because he lacks a bit of length being only 6-1. He could be a steal in the 2nd round though for the right team. He would for sure be on my radar in the second round and I can see Flores wanting him enough to make sure the VIkings got into a spot to take him.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:59 pm

Good prospect. DOn't see him as a top 20 guy in the NFL draft because he lacks a bit of length being only 6-1. He could be a steal in the 2nd round though for the right team. He would for sure be on my radar in the second round and I can see Flores wanting him enough to make sure the VIkings got into a spot to take him.
100%

He's a really good prospect who will help any team he plays for.

But he's not Aaron Donald or Kevin Williams or anything like that. If we pass on a QB and take him at 11, we're setting him up to fail.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
salamander

Post by salamander »

I'm really interested in where Harrison Jr is going to go. If the Bears love Fields he could be the #1 overall pick or he could slide back to the later single digits.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

salamander wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:24 pm I'm really interested in where Harrison Jr is going to go. If the Bears love Fields he could be the #1 overall pick or he could slide back to the later single digits.
Arizona will take him at #4 if he is still there. I can't see him out of the top 5.
rtb

Post by rtb »

i don't like this type of thinking for the nfl (not saying your post, more that nfl teams do indeed think this way)- what is the difference between a steal in the second and being properly valued at 20? if a guy can play well for your team for the next 5-7 years at an important spot i don't see why he needs to be slotted into a specific "draft value" area. take him when you can get him. not necessarily saying the vikes should grab this guy at 11 (i want a qb) but teams like pittsburgh, the ravens and more recently detroit have built some pretty damn good teams by just always taking a guy they know will be a very good player for them, regardless of perceived "draft value." gotta hit on all of those early picks.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

rtb wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:42 pm

i don't like this type of thinking for the nfl (not saying your post, more that nfl teams do indeed think this way)- what is the difference between a steal in the second and being properly valued at 20? if a guy can play well for your team for the next 5-7 years at an important spot i don't see why he needs to be slotted into a specific "draft value" area. take him when you can get him. not necessarily saying the vikes should grab this guy at 11 (i want a qb) but teams like pittsburgh, the ravens and more recently detroit have built some pretty damn good teams by just always taking a guy they know will be a very good player for them, regardless of perceived "draft value." gotta hit on all of those early picks.
While there might be some truth to what you are saying, overall it isn't correct for a couple of reasons.

First, the most important reason why there is a difference is that there are players with much more value available. There is no way I would take Murphy, using this specific value, ahead of many of the players available at 11.

Second, drafting is a decision made under uncertainty. Even absolute stars in college football can be complete busts. One guy that was a college football star, and I thought could translate to the NFL was Laquan Treadwell. He was one of the most dominant NCAA D-1 receivers I have ever reviewed. While not a total total bust, he was a bust as a first roound pick. At the same time, some players have a potential upside that makes them better than many players selected ahead of him.

If the Vikings selected Murphy with the 11th overall pick they are letting dumbshits run their draft. If that is the guy you truly have targeted, trade down. But personally I thik the way to improve the defense this year is free agency. IF we draft a guy in the 2nd, let him work his way into the lineup rotationally.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

If you believe current rumors, he's going in the top 15.

The new CBS mock today has him going 5th overall.

Aaron Donald and Ed Oliver are also 6'1".
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:33 pm

Good. That could push down another prospect. I would consider that a major reach in the draft although he has generally improved his ranking on most 'sites' from the 40-50 range into the first round.

And I get the playstyle comp to Ed Oliver, but then Ed OLiver had 53.5 TFLs in 3 years (and he missed 1/3 of his final college season). Byron Murphy has 15.5 career TFL, a down season for Oliver.

Going up a notch, Aaron Donald had 66.5 TFLs in his career and 29.5 sacks. Byron Murphy has 8.0 career sacks.

While I will anticipate that college stats need to be taken with a grain of salt, but when you are an interior defensive lineman piling up the TFLs that Oliver and Donald created you are making huge impacts on the game. Murphy just didn't to that in his career.

Would I take him in the 2nd. If he is there he would be on my radar. I for sure as hell am not taking him in the top 15.

The guy that really intrigues me is LSU Maason Smith. 6-6, 315. Absolute freak athlete who has run (apparently) a 4.8 40 and has touched 11 feet on his vertical. I think his draft stock is heavily discounted because of injuries that have impacted his college production. Like I said of him in previous posts, he is an absolute home run swing with a pick but I think the threat of injury, he tore his ACL in literally the first series of his sophomore year. My upside comp on him is RIchard Seymour. I would love to slot in the second and take him.
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

I think he could be drafted in the top 10.

He is arguably the top DT in the draft...young, violent hands, plays mean, disruptive, non-stop motor, ferocious swim move, etc..
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:57 pm
Ouch. I've seen mocks where Nix goes in the first round.

Hard pass.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Butch Bradford wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:41 pm

I think he could be drafted in the top 10.

He is arguably the top DT in the draft...young, violent hands, plays mean, disruptive, non-stop motor, ferocious swim move, etc..
Then he should be more dominant
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Jeremiah current mock has us selecting him at 11. I’m intrigued by him. He’s a bit undersized, but he’s noted as having a great speed/strength combo. Check out what Jeremiah says in his first top 50. He currently ranks Murphy as the 22nd best overall prospect.

Murphy is a very explosive, nimble and instinctive defensive tackle. He is a dynamic disruptor against the pass game. He explodes out of his stance and can roll his hips on contact, creating instant push. He consistently gets underneath blockers and prevails in the leverage battle. He has quick hands to win with swipe moves, a push/pull maneuver or a violent club. Once he feels a blocker leaning left or right, he has elite change-of-direction quickness. Against the run, he can utilize his quickness to penetrate and create negative plays. He also has incredible balance to take on blocks while going to one knee before uncoiling and making plays. (I haven't seen anyone else use this technique before, but it's very effective.) He has plenty of range to make plays laterally. Overall, Murphy might lack ideal size, but he's a leverage machine who makes an impact on all three downs.

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremia ... nkings-1-0
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Butch Bradford wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:50 pm
Hoop Dreams wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:57 pm
Ouch. I've seen mocks where Nix goes in the first round.

Hard pass.
He had a better day today and made some nice play with his ball placement. Penix is the one to move off. He’s too inconsistent with his accuracy.
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

I’m honestly not all that impressed with the tier 2 QBs.

Nix has the weakest arm of all the QBs being considered for day 1. His deep ball did not impress anybody this week, but he has shown good accuracy on the short/intermediate passing game.

Penix is inconsistent as a passer. He has displayed good arm strength, but there are clear accuracy issues. He needs to clean up his mechanics if he wants to be a pro.

JJ isn’t in the senior bowl, so nothing to report here. About the only QB worth mentioning after these guys is Spencer Rattler who displayed some serious arm talent this week, but he was also inconsistent on accuracy as well.

Edit: I should mention that the QB who showed off the best arm at the Senior Bowl was Joe Milton. Dude has a cannon for an arm, but he’s got to polish up on everything else. Still, if you looking for a QB in the later rounds, he’s the type of guy to keep and develop.
Last edited by Beetlejuice on Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Bored as shit right now.

For non-qb players you can officially add Latu as a player to want at 11. He stood out this week and displayed his first round talent by consistently beating OT prospects that have day 1 potential.

Tre’Vonte Sweat’s weight/conditioning is already in question after these practices. When he was on, no one could stop him in drills but it sounds like some scouts believe that he wore out too quickly. If you want a monster NT, this is the guy to watch.

Another guy to keep an eye on for later selections is Norte Dame CB Cam Hart. He was a standout this week at practice. He’s 6’2 and he consistently showed that he can use that tall frame to his advantage.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:14 pm
salamander wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:24 pm I'm really interested in where Harrison Jr is going to go. If the Bears love Fields he could be the #1 overall pick or he could slide back to the later single digits.
Arizona will take him at #4 if he is still there. I can't see him out of the top 5.
You're most likely right, but if you're the GM & HC in Arizona with the 4th draft pick are you happy with Kyler Murray?
Outside of 2021 he hasn't looked like an elite QB.
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »