Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***NFL Draft Talk***

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Small Hands

Re: ***NFL Draft Talk***

Post by Small Hands »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:19 am
Small Hands wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:13 am
William Munny wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:08 am Albert Breer reports that #1-#3 will not trade picks and use their selections. QB's go 1, 2 & 3. Maye will not be available to the Vikings to select.
Also reporting that AZ has stated that they will not trade their pick until they are on the clock on Thursday night. Smart of AZ to see what they can get for it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZC2dSeNiWs&t=1s[/youtube]
Don’t believe anything you hear until 12 hours before the draft.
you don't have to--but i've never read a post here that makes a convincing argument why the patriots should pass on a QB in a QB rich draft when they're at the three position. sorry, but two extra firsts wouldn't be close to the compensation needed for them to move off that spot imo. you take your shot at three and build around what is hopefully your franchise QB. i've countered with that point a couple of times when someone tries to say that it'd be in the patriots interest to trade out.
I’m not saying they should. I’m just saying anything that reporters say right now is just noise. I would take Maye at 3 and laugh all the way to the bank if I was NE, because I think he’s better than Daniels, but NE is completely void of talent and a rookie QB with a dog shit OLine is a recipe for more disaster.
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

WR Brandon Aiyuk has joined Tee Higgins on the trade block.

Justin Fields will be a FA next year. Steelers declined fifth year option.
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

witljon wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:31 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:12 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:59 pm Somebody talk me off the ledge. I just see all these QBs going early - and perhaps as reaches - and I'm reminded of the 5 QBs who went in the Top 15 three years ago: Trevor Lawrence, Trey Lance, Zach Wilson, Justin Fields and Mac Jones. But I shouldn't worry. We've obviously come a long, long way in the science of scouting QBs since 2021.
What do you want anyone to say? Players bust. So we shouldn't take any?

Here's how I have them ranked as far as overall prospects coming out, if it makes you feel any better. This is/was just my personal ranking:

Caleb Williams
Trevor Lawrence
Drake Maye
Jayden Daniels
JJ McCarthy
Justin Fields
Trey Lance*
Zach Wilson
Mac Jones

As you can see, I wasn't nearly as high on the 21 class as I am on this class. I put an asterisk* by Lance because he was soooo unknown. But I really didn't like Wilson or Jones. I'd put Penix for sure and maybe even Nix above them. I never bought the hype on Wilson and I thought Jones was about as blah as could be.

I did think that Fields was going to be good, though. So I was wrong about that. But maybe if he went somewhere other than that dreadful Chicago team, he would have been better.
I think I’d put McCarthy with Mac Jones. :shrug:
Sure. Thats solid scouting right there.

But I would have put Penix above that 2021 group of Wilson, Lance, and Jones. Probably Nix too.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:19 am
Small Hands wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:13 am
William Munny wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:08 am Albert Breer reports that #1-#3 will not trade picks and use their selections. QB's go 1, 2 & 3. Maye will not be available to the Vikings to select.
Also reporting that AZ has stated that they will not trade their pick until they are on the clock on Thursday night. Smart of AZ to see what they can get for it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZC2dSeNiWs&t=1s[/youtube]
Don’t believe anything you hear until 12 hours before the draft.
you don't have to--but i've never read a post here that makes a convincing argument why the patriots should pass on a QB in a QB rich draft when they're at the three position. sorry, but two extra firsts wouldn't be close to the compensation needed for them to move off that spot imo. you take your shot at three and build around what is hopefully your franchise QB. i've countered with that point a couple of times when someone tries to say that it'd be in the patriots interest to trade out.
Yep, straight up homer take to say that NE should "do the right thing" and trade out of #3 for assets, build the "infrastructure" and then pick a QB in a year or two. Did I get the steam correct?
witljon

Post by witljon »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:35 am

Here's how I have them ranked as far as overall prospects coming out, if it makes you feel any better. This is/was just my personal ranking:

Caleb Williams
Trevor Lawrence
Drake Maye
Jayden Daniels
JJ McCarthy
Justin Fields
Trey Lance*
Zach Wilson
Mac Jones

As you can see, I wasn't nearly as high on the 21 class as I am on this class. I put an asterisk* by Lance because he was soooo unknown. But I really didn't like Wilson or Jones. I'd put Penix for sure and maybe even Nix above them. I never bought the hype on Wilson and I thought Jones was about as blah as could be.

I did think that Fields was going to be good, though. So I was wrong about that. But maybe if he went somewhere other than that dreadful Chicago team, he would have been better.

But I would have put Penix above that 2021 group of Wilson, Lance, and Jones. Probably Nix too.
I just hope the Vikings get it right, whoever it is.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

witljon wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:58 am
mlhouse wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:35 am

I just hope the Vikings get it right, whoever it is.
Ditto.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Bucky Brooks says that most info about the draft is BS up until "Wednesday afternoon/evening." That we will likely start to hear some more truthful steam starting then.
j-one

Post by j-one »

PurpleValhalla wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:23 pm If no one above us will agree to a trade, and the QBs we want are gone at 11, should we trade down or should we take BPA?
It might be plan D or whatever but if we strike out with QB in the draft this year, I'd look to load up some draft equity for next year's draft. Maybe trade away 23 for next year's 1st + something.
SuperFroob

Post by SuperFroob »

William Munny wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:03 am Bucky Brooks says that most info about the draft is BS up until "Wednesday afternoon/evening." That we will likely start to hear some more truthful steam starting then.
I can't wait that long - I think I might explode! :lol:

Might have to go to a bar to watch this year's draft! Sit with some homers so we can all be pissed off together when we miss out on all the quarterbacks and take a corner who won't ever make the starting lineup!

The Darnold era begins.... :beer:
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

SuperFroob wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:56 am
William Munny wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:03 am Bucky Brooks says that most info about the draft is BS up until "Wednesday afternoon/evening." That we will likely start to hear some more truthful steam starting then.

Might have to go to a bar to watch this year's draft! Sit with some homers so we can all be pissed off together when we miss out on all the quarterbacks and take a corner who won't ever make the starting lineup!

SuperFroob

Post by SuperFroob »

William Munny wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:01 am
SuperFroob wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:56 am

:thumbsup: :lol:

Although, hopefully you are from the generation that isn't triggered by those memes! :lol:
BlackDog

Post by BlackDog »

“Your boos mean nothing to me, I’ve seen what makes you cheer!”
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

BlackDog wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 am
One of the best OT drafts in recent memory
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

They are talking about just that on PFF. I also heard somone predict that as many as 10 OL could go in the first round. :shock:
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

William Munny wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am
They are talking about just that on PFF. I also heard somone predict that as many as 10 OL could go in the first round. :shock:
In the froob mock, 10 went in RD1, as well as picks 1,2,5 in RD2.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am
William Munny wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am
In the froob mock, 10 went in RD1, as well as picks 1,2,5 in RD2.
I have a feeling that this year’s mock will be damn close to what actually happens in the first round.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 am
somuchyummy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:59 pm Somebody talk me off the ledge. I just see all these QBs going early - and perhaps as reaches - and I'm reminded of the 5 QBs who went in the Top 15 three years ago: Trevor Lawrence, Trey Lance, Zach Wilson, Justin Fields and Mac Jones. But I shouldn't worry. We've obviously come a long, long way in the science of scouting QBs since 2021.

Caleb Williams
Trevor Lawrence
Drake Maye
Jayden Daniels
JJ McCarthy
Justin Fields
Trey Lance*
Zach Wilson
Mac Jones

so to be clear - this is how you would have rated all these prospects coming out of college - without the benefit of seeing them succeed or struggle in the pros? I just feel like there is sooo much hype and smoke that goes on in the predraft process - beginning early in the college season and obviously often in the years prior. Penix is a good example - and I even kind of like Penix. But I think early in this year's college season, if you looked at early mocks - because of his injury history mostly, he was like a late second/early third rounder. Now people are talking about him as a possibility in the teens? And he's just one of these stories. The hype machinery goes wild on some of these players - and I think JJ is a great example of that. And that is likely what also happened with guys like Lance. How do we think we are somehow immune from getting sucked into the hype vortex this time around?
Yes. I didn’t love the 2021 class in terms of depth. Loved Lawrence and liked Fields and that was it.

I think if you were concerned about Penix due to injury before the season and then he completes the 15-game season injury free that should alleviate some of the injury concerns, don’t you?
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Odds for the Chargers drafting and keeping a QB at #5 went from 100 to 1 down to 6 to 1.
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Charlie Campbell at Waltergoofball is reporting that the Vikings and Cardinals have a deal in place for tomorrow. Not sure how much you guys trust his word.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

William Munny wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:47 am Odds for the Chargers drafting and keeping a QB at #5 went from 100 to 1 down to 6 to 1.
Man this is getting dumb.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

And here we go. I expect these reporters to hit on every angle.

Schultz is saying the Vikings won’t trade up.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beetlejuice wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:10 pm Dane Bugler and Albert Breer just came out and said the Giants will not trade up for JJ McCarthy.
No shit huh?

Now people trying to come up with any team that could jump us.

We will be bidding with ourselves if we trade up for JJ. He’s most likely there at #11 if you want him.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beetlejuice wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:09 pm And here we go. I expect these reporters to hit on every angle.

Schultz is saying the Vikings won’t trade up.
Starting to hear more and more of this. I believe they are trying to pry Maye and if they cant, stay put.

That’s EXACTLY how I would let it play out.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:05 pm
William Munny wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:47 am Odds for the Chargers drafting and keeping a QB at #5 went from 100 to 1 down to 6 to 1.
Schefter reported this morning that it’s virtually impossible that the chargers move off of Herbert. They’d be on the hook for 100 million in dead money
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Small Hands wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:21 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:05 pm
Schefter reported this morning that it’s virtually impossible that the chargers move off of Herbert. They’d be on the hook for 100 million in dead money
Yep, the money would be a large barrier. Honestly, I have no clue what will happen. That is right where they want us. :lol: Gut still saying Maye is target #1 with JJ target #2.
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

"I now feel pretty good that [Drake Maye] will be a New England Patriot." -
@AlbertBreer
on Instagram.
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Something to watch for after the draft due to the Flores connection.

Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:11 pm "I now feel pretty good that [Drake Maye] will be a New England Patriot." -
@AlbertBreer
on Instagram.
Interesting tidbits from Breer

The intrigue will then start at 4, where Cardinals GM Monti Ossenfort has told teams that he won’t move the pick until he’s on the clock, if he chooses to at all. At this point, I’m not convinced that a team is coming with an offer that’ll get him to pass on the chance to land Ohio State WR Marvin Harrison Jr.

Why? Well, as I see it, the Vikings are operating from a position of strength, and could very well call everyone’s bluff on needing to go up for a quarterback. For one, J.J. McCarthy may well make it to Minnesota at 11. For another, their situation is such where Kevin O’Connell and Kwesi Adofo-Mensah have the right to think, with cornerstones such as Justin Jefferson, Jordan Addison, T.J. Hockenson and Christian Darrisaw around the quarterback, that they can win with McCarthy or, say, Michael Penix Jr.

Now, over the last week or so, Minnesota has gotten a little more aggressive on calling around. The Vikings could still move up to 4 or 5 for McCarthy. But I’m not quite as sure that they do that as I was a few weeks ago.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/04/24/2024- ... reddit.com
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:11 pm "I now feel pretty good that [Drake Maye] will be a New England Patriot." -
@AlbertBreer
on Instagram.
Drake Maye's upside is tantalizing. NGL...

But I doubt his dedication will be anything close to JJ's. If I'm a Patriots fan I'm disappointed after seeing Brady for so many years that the team would pass on the guy with superior intangibles for the Call of Duty player.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:35 pm
@AlbertBreer
on Instagram.
Drake Maye's upside is tantalizing. NGL...

But I doubt his dedication will be anything close to JJ's. If I'm a Patriots fan I'm disappointed after seeing Brady for so many years that the team would pass on the guy with superior intangibles for the Call of Duty player.
How the hell do you know how dedicated the kid is? My god