Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***NFL Draft Talk***

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Beetlejuice

Re: ***NFL Draft Talk***

Post by Beetlejuice »

Yeah, I feel like there’s some subterfuge going on here. McCarthy is being talked up, while news about Maye has been negative since the combine.

You got guys like Kiper and Pauline who are pushing the JJ talk and articles like this.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles ... 9_40073655
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Beetlejuice wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:02 pm Yeah, I feel like there’s some subterfuge going on here. McCarthy is being talked up, while news about Maye has been negative since the combine.

You got guys like Kiper and Pauline who are pushing the JJ talk and articles like this.

And you have some here eating it right up beet.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
D_H

Post by D_H »

Michael Penix Jr.’s Draft Stock Soars in Minnesota, Kevin O’Connell is rumored to be in love with him after the combine.

It should be known that fans of the Vikings are torn about what to do at the top of their 2024 NFL Draft class. Among teams drafting in the first round, the Vikings fans are wary of what to do and are selecting defensive tackles, quarterbacks, and cornerbacks almost equally with their first-round picks.

With his elite performance at the 2024 NFL Combine scouts were surprised how much better he looked in person, even more so than he looked on tape. The ball just explodes out of his hand with an effortless motion many scouts spoke about off the record.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Beetlejuice wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:02 pm Yeah, I feel like there’s some subterfuge going on here. McCarthy is being talked up, while news about Maye has been negative since the combine.

There was talk on the Herd show the other day that the JJ McCarthy camp is responsible for the extra hype he’s been getting not NFL scouts. The same thing happened when Drew Locks camp went on the same kind of overhyped praise years ago and got him over drafted.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

D_H wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:49 pm

There was talk on the Herd show the other day that the JJ McCarthy camp is responsible for the extra hype he’s been getting not NFL scouts. The same thing happened when Drew Locks camp went on the same kind of overhyped praise years ago and got him over drafted.
We get this every year. They had Levis in top 3 discussions last year at this time.

McCarthy is a LONG shot to become anything special.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

cdr2529 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:48 pm I will be glad when cousin is gone and I think we will stay at 11th
Take BPA at 11 unless one of the good QB's they Iike is there. Then sign a journeyman QB who can make throws at minimum to appease the Offensive playmakers. Try again next year. Just don't draft the wrong QB by reaching, or overpay a QB they're unsure of (Wilson, Flynn, Kolb).
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:10 pm
cdr2529 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:48 pm I will be glad when cousin is gone and I think we will stay at 11th
Take BPA at 11 unless one of the good QB's they Iike is there. Then sign a journeyman QB who can make throws at minimum to appease the Offensive playmakers. Try again next year. Just don't draft the wrong QB by reaching, or overpay a QB they're unsure of (Wilson, Flynn, Kolb).
This sounds pretty good. Only willing to make a move up if one of the big 3 are there, if not? Draft BPA and look at getting a QB in rd #2 if possible.

Find a QB in FA that is younger and has potential to be made better by our staff. I like a guy like Darnold. If you have your own guy in mind, fine but not someone 30+. Would be happy if we could get Fields for a 3rd.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:26 pm
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:10 pm
This sounds pretty good. Only willing to make a move up if one of the big 3 are there, if not? Draft BPA and look at getting a QB in rd #2 if possible.

Find a QB in FA that is younger and has potential to be made better by our staff. I like a guy like Darnold. If you have your own guy in mind, fine but not someone 30+. Would be happy if we could get Fields for a 3rd.
I miss the old RT....wonder if he'll ever be back? :cry:
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
witljon

Post by witljon »

They could be right, but he definitely didn’t show it in most of his college games. He was more of a game manager.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

witljon wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:59 pm

They could be right, but he definitely didn’t show it in most of his college games. He was more of a game manager.
JJ is the exciting name, because he’s the unknown. He’s in that second tier and the so called experts think he’s the best of the three in that tier of McCarthy, Nix, and Penix.

I’ve heard multiple commentators say the QB intrigue starts with him, because there are a bunch of teams after the top 3 that need a QB and someone is gonna overpay to move up for him.

The top 3 guys are pretty much solidified at this point.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:17 pm

We get this every year. They had Levis in top 3 discussions last year at this time.

I hope you’re right RT
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Man I was just checking the draft picks for all North teams and the Packers and Bears are STACKED with picks this year.

The Lions also have like 60 million in cap as of right now. :shock:

We are completely fucked for awhile. Find that QB Kwesi, it’s the only chance at pulling out of this hole we are in all so we could win a playoff game over the last 6 seasons. Yikes.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

I predict 6 QB in top 20. I count 14 teams in top 20 that could take one.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:17 pm

Agree the late hype is coming from the JJ McCarthy camp not NFL scouts
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Just a quick one….

Told the Vikings love Bo Nix.

Maye is their hope if they can move up but I’m told they could “Pivot” to Bo Nix in rd #2.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:06 am Just a quick one….

Maye is their hope if they can move up but I’m told they could “Pivot” to Bo Nix in rd #2.
Not good!
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

:lol:
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

For the kids not keeping track, da boob has now "heard" or "gotten a call" or "is being told" that we want, or are targeting, or will settle for Maye, Daniels, JJ, Nix and Penix.

I bet he ends up being right. :lol:
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

cdr2529 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:30 am

Not good!
What don’t you like about Nix? Just curious
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

Oregon quarterback (QB) Bo Nix seems to be trending up draft boards into the first round of the 2024 NFL draft.

However, Nix is not a first-round pick with his lack of leadership and inability to be at the helm of an NFL complex offense.

He was a highly regarded prospect coming into the college football rankings as a 4-star recruit by both ESPN and 247Sports.

Nix committed to play football at the University of Auburn where his career there was inconsistent and stagnant before transferring to Oregon.
In his 3-year career at Auburn, he displayed poor accuracy with a 59.5% completion percentage that must not be forgotten during the evaluation process.
2023 Review:
In 2023 (pending the bowl game), Nix has displayed an outstanding season statistically in SOME categories. Here are some of the stats that are not being discussed which are red flags when evaluating quarterbacks.

Completion % on throws of 20+ yards: 52.3%
Average depth of target: 6.7 yards
YAC (Yards After Catch) for QBs: No. 1
SOS (Strength of Schedule) No. 62
He lacks progression skills and feels more comfortable checking down or throwing slips where his wide receivers have to contribute to the workload.
Overview: Bo Nix
6-foot-2, 217 pounds
40 Time: 4.75 (nfldraftbuzz.com)
2022 Stats: 294/409 (71.9%) 3,593 yards (8.8 avg) 29 TDs and 7 INTs
Level of Competition: Medium
Colton Edwards Grade: Third-Round

2024 NFL Draft Scouting Report:
A prototypical build at 6-foot-2, 217 pounds. Combines his size with arm talent, positioning himself as an intriguing draft prospect for some. Nix excels in the RPO (Run-Pass-Option) style of offense due to his pocket mobility, consistently evading the pass rush. He can extend plays under duress, making off-schedule plays when things break down within the pocket. He displays versatility in his release, changing arm angles to throw around defenders while maintaining velocity. He’s best with accuracy in the short to intermediate throws. Nix has a good awareness of where he can capitalize on scrambling lanes while consistently keeping a downfield passing mentality. His agility in the pocket enables him to sidestep pressure, reset, and deliver downfield if needed.

Weaknesses: Nix has developed after transferring from Auburn to Oregon, but inconsistencies still exist. His footwork can become “happy feet” when under pressure, resulting in erratic throws. He needs refinement in his processing skills. This Ducks’ QB can get to his primary read, but his hesitancy during receiver breaks and the lack of scanning the full field can lead to missed opportunities. This also happens to deep routes, where despite having the arm strength, he often hesitates which has resulted in turnovers in his career and a low competition percentage in deep ball targets. Lacks LEADERSHIP.

Summary:
Nix brings the physical traits that will intrigue NFL scouts due to his arm talent and creation capacity. The biggest concern is the transition from the current scheme in Oregon to a more complex offense within the NFL. As we know, Oregon’s offense relies a lot on RPOs, screens, check-downs, and the occasional go-ball against a certain coverage. This means he consistently depends on sideline cues before snaps which makes me raise the question about his ability to helm and lead a complex NFL offense independently. This also means he doesn’t have a lot of experience in a straight and consistent drop-back in the pocket style of offense. Finally, his on-field IQ needs polishing, struggles with progression, and lacks eye discipline and poise. Those keys need to be developed.
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:09 pm Man I was just checking the draft picks for all North teams and the Packers and Bears are STACKED with picks this year.

We are completely fucked for awhile. Find that QB Kwesi, it’s the only chance at pulling out of this hole we are in all so we could win a playoff game over the last 6 seasons. Yikes.
Check the salary cap commitments and lack of dead cap for 2025. Hit on the QB for this draft and this team is back, baby .
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
hategreenticemase

Beetlejuice wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:45 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:09 pm Man I was just checking the draft picks for all North teams and the Packers and Bears are STACKED with picks this year.

Check the salary cap commitments and lack of dead cap for 2025. Hit on the QB for this draft and this team is back, baby .
Pssst, thar isn't helpful for his narrative. :lol:
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:01 am

For the kids not keeping track, da boob has now "heard" or "gotten a call" or "is being told" that we want, or are targeting, or will settle for Maye, Daniels, JJ, Nix and Penix.

I’ve heard nothing on Penix and I haven’t heard anything on JJ other than he might be the only guy available to us after the big 3.

I’ve heard nothing about these two from my sources.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:49 am

No, that’s what most of us are hopeful for… You know, cleaning up this cap for 2025 and our new QB.

If you had your say, the cap won’t be cleaned up and we will giving Cousins and other old pieces money to try and keep this thing a 8/9 win WC team every year. :lol:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
hategreenticemase

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:49 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:49 am

No, that’s what most of us are hopeful for… You know, cleaning up this cap for 2025 and our new QB.

If you had your say, the cap won’t be cleaned up and we will giving Cousins and other old pieces money to try and keep this thing a 8/9 win WC team every year. :lol:
No, of I had my way, everyone here would understand the cap more like the long time good rubes do and less like super psycho did. Sky is falling! We are in cap hell! Every fucking year. :lol:
hategreenticemase

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:45 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:01 am

I’ve heard nothing on Penix and I haven’t heard anything on JJ other than he might be the only guy available to us after the big 3.

I’ve heard nothing about these two from my sources.
:lol:
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

This is exactly right and why I want them to go all in this year. Let 2024 be a down year. They could be back for real in 25. All this nonesense about being three years away is just stupid. Eat some cap penalties and invest in the next franchise QB this year. Unleash hell in 2025.

Part of why I’m okay if we let Kirk walk. First, we’ll get a comp pick in 25. Also, in 25, he’ll be 37.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:14 pm

This is exactly right and why I want them to go all in this year. Let 2024 be a down year. They could be back for real in 25. All this nonesense about being three years away is just stupid. Eat some cap penalties and invest in the next franchise QB this year. Unleash hell in 2025.
It is possible they can be back if they hit that star rookie QB on his first deal but that’s a pretty big long shot picking at #11, wouldn’t ya type?

You are going to have to get into that top 3 for that to happen imo.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:17 pm

It is possible they can be back if they hit that star rookie QB on his first deal but that’s a pretty big long shot picking at #11, wouldn’t ya type?

Look at the top QBs in the game. They’re almost all first round picks, but very few are actually top-3 picks. Burrow and who else?

Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Rodgers, Jackson, etc., all later picks.

Here’s the list of NFL quarterbacks currently playing who were picked 1-3 in the draft (so not counting a guy like Lance who is on the bench)

Burrow
Lawrence
Young
Stroud
Stafford
Goff
Mayfield
Z. Wilson (made 11 starts, so I guess he counts even though the Jets didn’t intend him to)
Murray
Richardson

Of them, one Super Bowl win (Stafford) and two appearances/losses (Goff and Burrow). Obviously, for a number of them it’s too early to tell, but it clearly shows that the path to the Super Bowl does not require a top-3 pick on a QB. But as other analysis has shown, it does almost always require a really good one. Find that guy and develop him.

If they don’t hit on a quarterback, they’re not going to win anything meaningful anyway. It’s a virtual prerequisite and it’s time this team treated it as such.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:48 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:17 pm

Look at the top QBs in the game. They’re almost all first round picks, but very few are actually top-3 picks. Burrow and who else?

Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Rodgers, Jackson, etc., all later picks.

Here’s the list of NFL quarterbacks currently playing who were picked 1-3 in the draft (so not counting a guy like Lance who is on the bench)

Burrow
Lawrence
Young
Stroud
Stafford
Goff
Mayfield
Z. Wilson (made 11 starts, so I guess he counts even though the Jets didn’t intend him to)
Murray
Richardson

Of them, one Super Bowl win (Stafford) and two appearances/losses (Goff and Burrow). Obviously, for a number of them it’s too early to tell, but it clearly shows that the path to the Super Bowl does not require a top-3 pick on a QB. But as other analysis has shown, it does almost always require a really good one. Find that guy and develop him.

If they don’t hit on a quarterback, they’re not going to win anything meaningful anyway. It’s a virtual prerequisite and it’s time this team treated it as such.
I viewed all of those guys higher at that time than I do JJ, Penix, Nix etc.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master