Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***NFL Draft Talk***

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
mlhouse

Re: ***NFL Draft Talk***

Post by mlhouse »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:45 pm
mlhouse wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:37 pm
Beetlejuice wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:16 pm Keep in mind that Schefter is also quoted saying that his gut tells him that the Giants will not trade up or select a QB at 6. Matt Miller of ESPN had an article that was paywalled for me that said that he talked to a high ranking Giants official, who basically said Daboll and co are feeling the heat in terms of their employment with NYG. That official said he doesn’t believe the Giants will take a QB if Nabers or MHJ are available.
How do those receivers become available if there is a QB available?

Basically if there is one of the top 4 QBs available for the Giants to pick the draft would go WIlliams-Daniels-Maye/McCarthy-Harrison-Nabers---> Giants? Right?

IF they have the opportunity to draft Nabers or MHJ at 6 that means the draft went QB-QB-QB-QB-WR-------> Giants

I think in scenario 1, with McCarthy or Maye available, they go QB. THey just take what the draft brings to 6 and sometimes that is by far the best move.
Maybe Jim “Captain O-Line” Harbaugh takes Alt at 5?

IDK…
I would not doubt that the Chargers go WR in round 1 and 2. They have more than a quarter of ONE BILLION dollar quarterback and jettisoned four critical skilled player that were targeted 350 times last season and almost 400 times the previous (Ekeler, Williams, Allen, and Everett).

Their current wide receivers are Josh Palmer, an adequate receiver, Q Johnson who struggled as a first round pick last season, his former TCU teammate Derius Davis who is mainl a return guy, and practice squad Simi Fehoko.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:27 am

I would not doubt that the Chargers go WR in round 1 and 2. They have more than a quarter of ONE BILLION dollar quarterback and jettisoned four critical skilled player that were targeted 350 times last season and almost 400 times the previous (Ekeler, Williams, Allen, and Everett).

Their current wide receivers are Josh Palmer, an adequate receiver, Q Johnson who struggled as a first round pick last season, his former TCU teammate Derius Davis who is mainl a return guy, and practice squad Simi Fehoko.
It just depends on how strongly you believe in what matters most. Especially when you take over a team from scratch.

I remember when the Vikings had the #3 overall pick and the chat was over WR or Olineman at the time. Neither of the players in Blackmon or Kahlil really worked long term and ideally you just take a guy that works bottom line.

With that said there is a real debate to be made about producing a fierce offensive line and what that can do for the overall team. Without a decent one your probably chopped liver. With an elite one who can really stop you from imposing your will? It really is powerful to be strong on both side of the trenches.

Football is the ultimate team sport but the longer the show goes on the easier it is the see that if you can't win the trenches it's gonna be hard to be consistent and compete at the highest level in the playoffs.

So many other pieces do go into it and at the end of day it's really about how Jim feels about what is on the roster. Based on recent comments this dude is foaming at the mouth for the chance to build another Oline. That kinda crap make me giddy and he's not even our coach.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:20 pm

By the time this is over we will hear everything under the sun but it's probably true they will go different routes.

How much do you believe Drake Maye can handle getting through his inconsistencies and do you like to work with him every day? How do you think Daniels could hold up year after year with his build?

I still think the smartest thing is to stick and pick. To many solid options to put in a decent situation and even better one if you put a talent around them at 23 or vice versa.

I'll never cry about it though if they give up two extra first round picks for a Franchise QB of 10-15.
witljon

Post by witljon »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:30 am I still think the smartest thing is to stick and pick. To many solid options to put in a decent situation and even better one if you put a talent around them at 23 or vice versa.

I'll never cry about it though if they give up two extra first round picks for a Franchise QB of 10-15.
I think that’s where I’m at. I’d be fine with Penix at 11 and the best available player at 23. Someone like Murphy, Newton, Latu, Verse, Mitchell, Arnold, DeJean, or a good offensive lineman should be available. But if we can trade up and hit on a stud QB, that’d be great. I’m just a bit leery of getting the 4th best QB who doesn’t pan out.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
witljon

Post by witljon »

Beetlejuice wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:10 pm It’s official. The Vikings choices will be Maye or McCarthy for a trade up. Schefter basically confirmed Washington is taking Daniels.
I’m thinking the Vikings will not have to trade up to select McCarthy because he will be there at 11.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

witljon wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:31 pm
Beetlejuice wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:10 pm It’s official. The Vikings choices will be Maye or McCarthy for a trade up. Schefter basically confirmed Washington is taking Daniels.
I’m thinking the Vikings will not have to trade up to select McCarthy because he will be there at 11.
If we do not have to trade up for a QB, it’s fair to question if we should have made the trade for 23.

Is it worth giving up next years #2 to move up 19 spots in the draft if acquiring a QB is not part of that maneuver?
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I agree.

The Giants are not drafting a QB and the Broncos are not going to trade picks after just trading a bunch for Wilson to move up to get someone like JJ.

You trade for one of the top 3 and you take whatever is left if they are tone at #11.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
PurpleValhalla

Post by PurpleValhalla »

If we trade up for a top 3 QB the draft is a success.

If we trade up for JJ or any of the other non top 3 QBs it's a fail.

I won't be super mad if we get JJ but only if we let him fall to 11
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:45 pm
If we do not have to trade up for a QB, it’s fair to question if we should have made the trade for 23.

Is it worth giving up next years #2 to move up 19 spots in the draft if acquiring a QB is not part of that maneuver?
A lot of Viking fans have developed cold feet in recent days, so this has become a talking point. It’s understandable, but the moves they’ve made have been done, so they can get the QB they want and are willing to stake their employment on.

I fully believe Maye is the target. He’s the one they’re willing to give the bag for. McCarthy is an option, but I think there’s a cap as to what they will give up for him.

Drafting Penix or Nix at 11 is no different than drafting Ponder. These guys aren’t top 15 prospects because they don’t process youth and/or a top end trait. The reason why McCarthy is so intriguing is because he processes a plus arm and athletic ability and is only 21 years old. Nix is 24 and Penix is 23. They should be more developed than McCarthy.
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beetlejuice wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:40 pm

A lot of Viking fans have developed cold feet in recent days, so this has become a talking point. It’s understandable, but the moves they’ve made have been done, so they can get the QB they want and are willing to stake their employment on.

I fully believe Maye is the target. He’s the one they’re willing to give the bag for. McCarthy is an option, but I think there’s a cap as to what they will give up for him.

Drafting Penix or Nix at 11 is no different than drafting Ponder. These guys aren’t top 15 prospects because they don’t process youth and/or a top end trait. The reason why McCarthy is so intriguing is because he processes a plus arm and athletic ability and is only 21 years old. Nix is 24 and Penix is 23. They should be more developed than McCarthy.
With the way Maye played the last half of the season, I can't see how he would be more of a target than McCarthy. I prefer McCarthy.

AS far as sitting, that would be the ideal. But the ideal lacks certainty. Denver isn't the only team sitting behind us that wants a QB. Oakland. New Orleans. Seattle. I think in many scenarios the Giants will take a QB. I think in many scanrios the Jets will take a QB. If you want a franchise QB, what is the margin of error you want to accept in not getting that quarterback?

And, again, it would be different if the alternative was a chance to draft a high end player at 11 at a position of need. Maybe Terrion Arnold turns out to be the greatest CB in the game, but do you believe he is based on the information we have right now? NOPE (If you claim otherwise you are stupid).

And while this is the time to do it, it there is a cap on what we should offer: #11, #23, and either 2025 or 2026 first is the absolute maximum. IF we can get by with less, great.
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:52 pm
With the way Maye played the last half of the season, I can't see how he would be more of a target than McCarthy. I prefer McCarthy.

AS far as sitting, that would be the ideal. But the ideal lacks certainty. Denver isn't the only team sitting behind us that wants a QB. Oakland. New Orleans. Seattle. I think in many scenarios the Giants will take a QB. I think in many scanrios the Jets will take a QB. If you want a franchise QB, what is the margin of error you want to accept in not getting that quarterback?

And, again, it would be different if the alternative was a chance to draft a high end player at 11 at a position of need. Maybe Terrion Arnold turns out to be the greatest CB in the game, but do you believe he is based on the information we have right now? NOPE (If you claim otherwise you are stupid).

And while this is the time to do it, it there is a cap on what we should offer: #11, #23, and either 2025 or 2026 first is the absolute maximum. IF we can get by with less, great.
Well, he had the worst supporting cast outta the QB group. I’d imagine he’d look a lot better if he had JJ’s type of supporting cast. It’s not a rip at JJ btw. But unless Maye is some sort of prima donna, I don’t see why he can’t be coached up.

It’s just my opinion and I have no issues with yours. All I know this is that everything has been done to get the guy they want. Only question left is can they get them.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beetlejuice wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:02 pm
mlhouse wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:52 pm

Well, he had the worst supporting cast outta the QB group. I’d imagine he’d look a lot better if he had JJ’s type of supporting cast. It’s not a rip at JJ btw. But unless Maye is some sort of prima donna, I don’t see why he can’t be coached up.

It’s just my opinion and I have no issues with yours. All I know this is that everything has been done to get the guy they want. Only question left is can they get them.
I do believe he can have his footwork issues corrected and is a top 4 picks in the draft. So ya.
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

As far as the Houston trade goes, it’s simple. Houston knew Kwesi wants to trade up to get a qb, so they made him an offer to add another first rounder to his arsenal. While Houston was doing that, they were probably in negotiation with Buffalo over Diggs. After all that, Houston used its first round pick to get Diggs and a second rounder next year.

They get an A+ from me. That’s some nice work they did.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Beetlejuice wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:15 pm As far as the Houston trade goes, it’s simple. Houston knew Kwesi wants to trade up to get a qb, so they made him an offer to add another first rounder to his arsenal. While Houston was doing that, they were probably in negotiation with Buffalo over Diggs. After all that, Houston used its first round pick to get Diggs and a second rounder next year.

I think they use the pick to move up.

I’m saying that IF they don’t, I think it’s fair to question whether giving up their 2 next year is worth moving up 19 spots in this draft. By 23, you’re well outside the elite player range.

I suppose if the plan is to move up and for whatever reason they can’t, there’s nothing stopping them from trading back from either 11 or 23 to recoup the picks they gave up.

- Isaac Asimov
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:55 am
Beetlejuice wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:15 pm As far as the Houston trade goes, it’s simple. Houston knew Kwesi wants to trade up to get a qb, so they made him an offer to add another first rounder to his arsenal. While Houston was doing that, they were probably in negotiation with Buffalo over Diggs. After all that, Houston used its first round pick to get Diggs and a second rounder next year.

I think they use the pick to move up.

I’m saying that IF they don’t, I think it’s fair to question whether giving up their 2 next year is worth moving up 19 spots in this draft. By 23, you’re well outside the elite player range.

I suppose if the plan is to move up and for whatever reason they can’t, there’s nothing stopping them from trading back from either 11 or 23 to recoup the picks they gave up.
It all depends on their value chart. Maybe they feel there will be talent at 23 that’s significantly higher than what’s available at 42.

I don’t necessarily disagree with you in regards to their plan of moving up. I just don’t feel super confident in Kwesi’s ability to negotiate trades, so I don’t know that he will be able to move up. Teams know that he was fleeced in the past on multiple occasions, so they can take the stance of starting at the top and playing hardball. GMs probably believe that Kwesi will cave and over pay.

He needs to learn to walk away sometimes to ensure that future trades are more reasonably priced.
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

The problem with this is this thinking is that Chicago will gladly trade with Denver or Las Vegas to jump the Vikings for a QB. At minimum you have to get up to 8.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:10 am
The problem with this is this thinking is that Chicago will gladly trade with Denver or Las Vegas to jump the Vikings for a QB. At minimum you have to get up to 8.
For sure. They might even discount the trade to keep a QB out of the division.

- Isaac Asimov
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

I know "pie in the sky," but it would be great is the NFL punishes the Falcons by making them switch #8 for #11 due to Cousin's tampering. That would shake up the draft.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Getting closer! From here on out I'd assume everything will be smokescreen.

My hope is that we have a trade worked out with the Patriots. My reasoning in why the Pats don't take Maye is that they just took Mac Jones and it failed. Mac Jones had way better college stats Maye had. Both were young. Jones was the 4th quarterback taken in that draft and Maye will be the 3rd.

Mac Jones:
Comp%: 77.4
Maye: 63.3

College Years:
Mac - 3
Maye - 3

Heisman voting rank:
Mac - 3
Maye - 10

Yards in last year of college:
Mac - 4500
Maye - 3608

TD/INT:
Mac - 41/4
Maye - 24/9

Maye has an extra inch on Mac.

If I was New England I wouldn't take Maye. His stats are no where near what Mac Jones' were, and they know how that story ended. In reality Mac Jones' stats were pretty stellar and he still failed as a starter. Maye's stats are pretty low. Even the previous year wasn't that much better. Comp:66%, yards:4321, TD/INT: 38/7

Daniels:
Comp%: 72.2
College years: 5
Heisman: Won
Yards Last year: 3812
TD/INT: 40/4

Williams:
Comp%: 68.6
College years: 3
Yards Last year: 3633
TD/INT: 30/5
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

You can always question, but the more I think about it, there may actually be a pretty big dead spot in that RD2 this year, and it may have made sense to move up even if they didn't have a plan to consolidate up.

Let's just look at the froob draft, here's the five picks before we would have been on the clock as well as the next 10 picks...
Cooper Beebe, Tyler Nubin, Ladd McConkey, Edgerrin Cooper, Peyton Wilson, Kris Jenkins, Michael Penix, Cam Hart, Troy Franklin, Marshawn Kneeland, Spencer Rattler, Xavier Worthy, T'Vondre Sweat, Ennis Rakestraw, Ricky Pearsall, Kamari Lasseter.

Now compare that to the 5 right before 23 as well as the 5 immediately after...
Troy Fautanu, Laiatu Latu, Jackson Powers-Johnson, JC Latham, Chop Robinson, Amarius Mims, Byron Murphy, Cooper Dejean, Jer'zhan Newton, Kool-Aid McKinstry

I think the 1st rd guys are a sizable level above, not to mention the fact that they also are at more immediate needs for the Vikes.
It could work it's way out even if it wasn't part of a larger future transaction.

(Leave Penix out of this discussion as I don 't think he falls that far.)
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

cunningham wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:43 am Getting closer! From here on out I'd assume everything will be smokescreen.

My hope is that we have a trade worked out with the Patriots. My reasoning in why the Pats don't take Maye is that they just took Mac Jones and it failed. Mac Jones had way better college stats Maye had. Both were young. Jones was the 4th quarterback taken in that draft and Maye will be the 3rd.

Mac Jones:

College Years:
Mac - 3
Maye - 3

Heisman voting rank:
Mac - 3
Maye - 10

Mac - 4500
Maye - 3608

TD/INT:
Mac - 41/4
Maye - 24/9

If I was New England I wouldn't take Maye. His stats are no where near what Mac Jones' were, and they know how that story ended. In reality Mac Jones' stats were pretty stellar and he still failed as a starter. Maye's stats are pretty low. Even the previous year wasn't that much better. Comp:66%, yards:4321, TD/INT: 38/7

Daniels:

Williams:
I agree if NE is smart and honest about their current roster they look at what Carolina did last year with the #1 QB on the board and think twice about putting another rookie in that situation. Build your team first and then get your franchise QB. Their roster is terrible and it will take 2-3 years before they are ready for a rookie QB.
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Post by Da Gas Man's Ghost »

cunningham wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:43 am Getting closer! From here on out I'd assume everything will be smokescreen.

Mac Jones:

College Years:
Mac - 3
Maye - 3

Heisman voting rank:
Mac - 3
Maye - 10

Mac - 4500
Maye - 3608

TD/INT:
Mac - 41/4
Maye - 24/9

Daniels:

Williams:
looks like Caleb's stats are worse than Mac Jones. I hope the Bears take note of that.
Pronouns: They/him/hers

Hopeful Member of the Crique.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Mac Jones:

College Years:
Mac - 3
Maye - 3

Heisman voting rank:
Mac - 3
Maye - 10

Mac - 4500
Maye - 3608

TD/INT:
Mac - 41/4
Maye - 24/9

Daniels:

Williams:
Mac Jones played for freaking Alabama.

- Isaac Asimov
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:52 am

Mac Jones:

College Years:
Mac - 3
Maye - 3

Heisman voting rank:
Mac - 3
Maye - 10

Mac - 4500
Maye - 3608

TD/INT:
Mac - 41/4
Maye - 24/9

Daniels:

Williams:
I agree if NE is smart and honest about their current roster they look at what Carolina did last year with the #1 QB on the board and think twice about putting another rookie in that situation. Build your team first and then get your franchise QB. Their roster is terrible and it will take 2-3 years before they are ready for a rookie QB.
Agreed. We like Maye because of his history with McCown and our team is established. We are ready to plug in a rookie and have him thrive and learn. The Pats were ready with Mac Jones, but he just got traded for a 6th rounder. I'm not sold on Maye, but no way we get anywhere near Daniels or Williams. If I were the Pats I'd gladly take 3 first round picks off of the Vikings and push the quarterback decision down the road a year.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

I understand the thought process of wanting to defer a QB decision until you have a more established team, but let's not forget that the Patriots also had $87M in cap space going into this offseason.
If they loved one of the QBs, which they should have known prior to the start of free agency, they easily could have used that cap space in order to make the team more viable, and make the transition easier for the incoming QB.

They either chose not to do that or failed in their attempts to, so I think they can definitely be "criticized" if they use that excuse to move down, and one of the QBs become a stud that they missed out on.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:07 am

Mac Jones:

College Years:
Mac - 3
Maye - 3

Heisman voting rank:
Mac - 3
Maye - 10

Mac - 4500
Maye - 3608

TD/INT:
Mac - 41/4
Maye - 24/9

Daniels:

Williams:
looks like Caleb's stats are worse than Mac Jones. I hope the Bears take note of that.
He regressed as from last year to this year. I never like seeing that with a guy, but Williams has those intangibles that make him a better prospect.

Didn't know that Drake Maye's dad was one of the top quarterbacks to come out of UNC. Played CB for the Bears in the NFL.

Daniels is the hot prospect and the Bears might mess this up like they have in the past with their other first round quarterbacks.

Some of these teams have messed up these top picks for decades. We are probably better off taking the quarterback who the Bears, Commanders, and Pats take at the top of the draft anyway.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

cunningham wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:33 am
Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:07 am

Mac Jones:

College Years:
Mac - 3
Maye - 3

Heisman voting rank:
Mac - 3
Maye - 10

Mac - 4500
Maye - 3608

TD/INT:
Mac - 41/4
Maye - 24/9

Daniels:

Williams:
He regressed as from last year to this year. I never like seeing that with a guy, but Williams has those intangibles that make him a better prospect.

Didn't know that Drake Maye's dad was one of the top quarterbacks to come out of UNC. Played CB for the Bears in the NFL.

Daniels is the hot prospect and the Bears might mess this up like they have in the past with their other first round quarterbacks.

Some of these teams have messed up these top picks for decades. We are probably better off taking the quarterback who the Bears, Commanders, and Pats take at the top of the draft anyway.
Two of his brothers hooped for the Tar Heels too. Athletic family. Athletic and loyal.

Another brother pitched for Florida State. Must be a black sheep.

- Isaac Asimov
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

That shouldn't be a problem considering TN and Atl both seem like good candidates to trade down.
Plus, I'm not all that sure that Ch would want to trade down. They have a shot at the last of the Big 3 WRs or Bowers, but could easily lose both of those by moving down even as low as 12. There's a substantial dropoff for offensive playmakers if you fall out of that tier.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »