Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***NFL Draft Talk***

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Beef Supreme

Re: ***NFL Draft Talk***

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:52 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:48 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:17 pm

It is possible they can be back if they hit that star rookie QB on his first deal but that’s a pretty big long shot picking at #11, wouldn’t ya type?

You are going to have to get into that top 3 for that to happen imo.
Look at the top QBs in the game. They’re almost all first round picks, but very few are actually top-3 picks. Burrow and who else?

Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Rodgers, Jackson, etc., all later picks.

Here’s the list of NFL quarterbacks currently playing who were picked 1-3 in the draft (so not counting a guy like Lance who is on the bench)

Burrow
Lawrence
Young
Stroud
Stafford
Goff
Mayfield
Z. Wilson (made 11 starts, so I guess he counts even though the Jets didn’t intend him to)
Murray
Richardson

Of them, one Super Bowl win (Stafford) and two appearances/losses (Goff and Burrow). Obviously, for a number of them it’s too early to tell, but it clearly shows that the path to the Super Bowl does not require a top-3 pick on a QB. But as other analysis has shown, it does almost always require a really good one. Find that guy and develop him.

If they don’t hit on a quarterback, they’re not going to win anything meaningful anyway. It’s a virtual prerequisite and it’s time this team treated it as such.
I viewed all of those guys higher at that time than I do JJ, Penix, Nix etc.
Well that’s like, your opinion, man…

I really wonder about this draft. We’re all so sure 4 QBs go in the first 5 picks or whatever because we have QB on the brain. It will be interesting to see if it actually plays out like that. Drafts are weird. We’ll see.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:53 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:48 pm

Look at the top QBs in the game. They’re almost all first round picks, but very few are actually top-3 picks. Burrow and who else?

Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Rodgers, Jackson, etc., all later picks.

Here’s the list of NFL quarterbacks currently playing who were picked 1-3 in the draft (so not counting a guy like Lance who is on the bench)

Burrow
Lawrence
Young
Stroud
Stafford
Goff
Mayfield
Z. Wilson (made 11 starts, so I guess he counts even though the Jets didn’t intend him to)
Murray
Richardson

Of them, one Super Bowl win (Stafford) and two appearances/losses (Goff and Burrow). Obviously, for a number of them it’s too early to tell, but it clearly shows that the path to the Super Bowl does not require a top-3 pick on a QB. But as other analysis has shown, it does almost always require a really good one. Find that guy and develop him.

If they don’t hit on a quarterback, they’re not going to win anything meaningful anyway. It’s a virtual prerequisite and it’s time this team treated it as such.

I really wonder about this draft. We’re all so sure 4 QBs go in the first 5 picks or whatever because we have QB on the brain. It will be interesting to see if it actually plays out like that. Drafts are weird. We’ll see.
I don’t think JJ goes anywhere near top 5.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
D_H

Post by D_H »

lol

JJ McCarthy:

Sluggish getting through progressions and can get stuck on first read. Modest arm strength might be magnified by windup in his delivery. Ball placement on tape belies completion percentage on the stat sheet. Threw 3 terrible interceptions against a bad Bowling Green defense.

Comparison: Chad Henne

Na I’ll pass lolololo
Last edited by D_H on Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:58 pm

Nowhere near the top five like Jason McIntyre said on the herd show, this is strictly hype put out by JJ McCarthy‘s camp
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

D_H wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:34 pm

Nowhere near the top five like Jason McIntyre said on the herd show, this is strictly hype put out by JJ McCarthy‘s camp
The one saving grace if Cousins is back might be not drafting this guy.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
D_H

Post by D_H »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:20 pm

I can’t imagine the Vikings are in enamored with him at all. He looked totally lost against a very bad bowling green team with three interceptions and even looked to be over his skis in the national championship against Washington. If you throw three interceptions against Bowling Green, you’re not NFL starting material. He was confused that game, imagine what defensive coordinators in the NFL can do to him.
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

D_H wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:59 pm

I can’t imagine the Vikings are in enamored with him at all. He looked totally lost against a very bad bowling green team with three interceptions and even looked to be over his skis in the national championship against Washington. If you throw three interceptions against Bowling Green, you’re not NFL starting material. He was confused that game, imagine what defensive coordinators in the NFL can do to him.
:lol:
D_H

Post by D_H »

Butch Bradford wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:38 pm

I know it’s pathetic bowling Green made him look like a junior college quarterback!

JJ McCarthy is Chad Henne 2
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

D_H wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:40 pm
Butch Bradford wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:38 pm

I know it’s pathetic bowling Green made him look like a junior college quarterback!

JJ McCarthy is Chad Henne 2
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:14 pm
Beetlejuice wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:45 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:09 pm Man I was just checking the draft picks for all North teams and the Packers and Bears are STACKED with picks this year.

The Lions also have like 60 million in cap as of right now. :shock:

We are completely fucked for awhile. Find that QB Kwesi, it’s the only chance at pulling out of this hole we are in all so we could win a playoff game over the last 6 seasons. Yikes.
Check the salary cap commitments and lack of dead cap for 2025. Hit on the QB for this draft and this team is back, baby .
This is exactly right and why I want them to go all in this year. Let 2024 be a down year. They could be back for real in 25. All this nonesense about being three years away is just stupid. Eat some cap penalties and invest in the next franchise QB this year. Unleash hell in 2025.

Part of why I’m okay if we let Kirk walk. First, we’ll get a comp pick in 25. Also, in 25, he’ll be 37.
There’s a great deal of talent on the offense with JJ, Addison, Hock, Darrisaw, and O’Neil. The offense has been invested in and all that’s needed is a QB. Any other hits you have on offense should come from the mid rounds of the draft.

Pick your QB in this draft and do what you gotta do to get them. Once you do that, you start investing in the defense with what ever draft capital you got and FA. If you hit on the QB, then you got a five year window to make a run for the Superb owl.
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

This one came from the Vikings camp

Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Still no news on Hunter. I’m expecting that he won’t return.
D_H

Post by D_H »

I’m hearing the Vikings are only enamored with one quarterback in this draft who they cannot get. They will re-sign cousins and visit the quarterback situation in two years.
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

D_H wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:18 pm I’m hearing the Vikings are only enamored with one quarterback in this draft who they cannot get. They will re-sign cousins and visit the quarterback situation in two years.
That would be dumb if that is the case, but nothing will surprise me about this organization
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Beets updated post day 1 FA draft needs:

1) QUARTERBACK - It happened! I am legitimately shocked that Kwesi and co pulled the trigger and for better or worse, I’m proud to have a GM with balls of steel. There is no way they don’t use that first rounder on a quarterback. The only question is who and what could it take to get them.

2)Defensive Line - with the edge positions settled with the new guys and Hunter leaving, it’s time to pump some talent into the DL. Since this draft will be about rolling the dice on a QB, why not add a second roll with Tre’Vonte Sweat. Let’s go boom or bust on this bitch!

3) Running Back - team missed out on all the good RBs and all that’s left is Aaron Jones and Derek Henry. Both backs are past their prime, so the Vikings will need to grab a guy day 2.

4) Cornerback - I hate putting this so high, but with Edge and LB addressed and knowing that Flores is a big corner guy too, it’s hard to rule out the possibility of another CB being drafted high.

5) Wide Receiver - depth is rather lacking in this area. I think it’s most likely that they will sign a guy or two during FA. Until then, a 3rd receiver is needed.

6) Edge - can never have too many quality pass rushers and Van Ginkel is no spring chicken. Still, the recent additions does buy team time in needing to address this position immediately. They can look at day 3 for some guys to develop.

7) Interior Oline - There were combine reports that the Vikings were kicking the tires on some interior Oline prospects. Where there is smoke, there is fire.

8) Linebacker - combine reports were rather lacking here and the addition of Cashman probably makes it likely the team will look towards the end of the draft for bodies.

All other positions are basically depth moves since the team has the top of the depth chart set. TE is a wild card simply due to how long T.J. could be out.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

D_H wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:38 pm New Mock Today

https://www.fantasypros.com/2024/03/nfl ... -2024/amp/
This draft shows that the Vikings wouldn’t even have to trade up JJ McCarthy will be there at 11
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
D_H

Post by D_H »

Bob Wiley wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:24 pm
D_H wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:38 pm New Mock Today

https://www.fantasypros.com/2024/03/nfl ... -2024/amp/
This draft shows that the Vikings wouldn’t even have to trade up JJ McCarthy will be there at 11
No one is taking JJ McCarthy in the first round lol

The guy threw three interceptions against Bowling Green for crying out loud, and was totally lost against Washington in the national championship game who had an average defense at best. Lol

He was great at handing off the ball however, and very good at check downs in the third-quarter when his team was up 27 to 7.
D_H

Post by D_H »

New mock out today

11. Minnesota Vikings (Carmen): QB Michael Penix Jr., Washington

I decided to make things interesting here. I think the Vikings realistically move up and grab one of the top three quarterbacks, but since we aren't making trades, why not throw Penix Jr. in the mix early? He's an incredibly accurate passer who sees the field well and can pick apart defenses. It's a bet on a high-floor guy Minnesota will likely need to start right away.
Fattymcgee

Post by Fattymcgee »

Anybody know how many picks JJ McCarthy threw against Bowling Green?
Fattymcgee

Post by Fattymcgee »

Fattymcgee wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:51 pm Anybody know how many picks JJ McCarthy threw against Bowling Green?
Does anyone know how many interceptions he threw the rest of the season?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Fattymcgee wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:52 pm
Fattymcgee wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:51 pm Anybody know how many picks JJ McCarthy threw against Bowling Green?
Does anyone know how many interceptions he threw the rest of the season?
lol must have forgot to log in as another bit. :shrug:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

D_H wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:52 pm New mock out today

I decided to make things interesting here. I think the Vikings realistically move up and grab one of the top three quarterbacks, but since we aren't making trades, why not throw Penix Jr. in the mix early? He's an incredibly accurate passer who sees the field well and can pick apart defenses. It's a bet on a high-floor guy Minnesota will likely need to start right away.
None of the guys after the top 3 intrigue me that much. That whole tier 2 guys are 2nd rd talents that some teams are probably going to reach on.

I rather draft best D player available at #11 and take which ever is left in rd #2 out of JJ, Penix and Nix.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
witljon

Post by witljon »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:55 pm

None of the guys after the top 3 intrigue me that much. That whole tier 2 guys are 2nd rd talents that some teams are probably going to reach on.

I rather draft best D player available at #11 and take which ever is left in rd #2 out of JJ, Penix and Nix.
They all intrigue me, but none of the guys after the top 3 have me convinced.
D_H

Post by D_H »

witljon wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:45 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:55 pm

They all intrigue me, but none of the guys after the top 3 have me convinced.
The Bowling Green tape is indeed alarming to say the least . When he has his usual 7 seconds to pass he’s just fine but when he had a typical NFL pocket where he had process information quickly, and use correct footwork he was absolutely atrocious. Let’s be perfectly frank, He was in over his skis against a bad Washington D in the national championship game. He also fumbled the ball against Bowling Green, and could’ve very easily thrown two more interceptions.

https://youtu.be/5oLnTKHlMAw?si=N09B6im0qoe_46fe
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

D_H wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:33 pm lol

JJ McCarthy:

Sluggish getting through progressions and can get stuck on first read. Modest arm strength might be magnified by windup in his delivery. Ball placement on tape belies completion percentage on the stat sheet. Threw 3 terrible interceptions against a bad Bowling Green defense.

Na I’ll pass lolololo
Chad Henne had a strong arm coming out of college. Injury in the NFL made it flacid.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

William Munny wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:58 pm

JJ McCarthy:

Na I’ll pass lolololo
Chad Henne had a strong arm coming out of college. Injury in the NFL made it flacid.
They make pills for that… OH… Ya boys ain’t talkin his BONA.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

JJ McCarthy:

Na I’ll pass lolololo
Wow, all wrong.
J.J. McCarthy is a toolsy, young quarterback with a good ceiling and floor. McCarthy can win within and outside of the offensive structure. He is a good and fluid passer of the football. I appreciate his ability to throw with different speeds and with control. He can layer the football well with appropriate touch and air underneath the pass. McCarthy’s arm is more than NFL-caliber. He drives throws in the middle of the field with good velocity and zip. He is capable of fitting passes into tighter windows versus both man and zone coverages.

He has flashed as a quick decision-maker in the passing game. Whether off hard play-action, RPOs, or true dropback, McCarthy can operate quickly. He thrives and lives in the middle of the field, between the hashes as a three-level passer. I came away impressed with his ability to quickly identify the blitz and find his “hot” route. Against the blitz this season, he completed nearly 70% of his passes for 1,156 passing yards with six touchdowns and three interceptions. He is willing to take whatever the defenses give him. McCarthy checks the ball down to his open outlets after surveying down the field.

McCarthy is a plus-athlete. He is a real threat to hurt defenses with his running ability.
https://thedraftnetwork.com/2024/01/17/ ... draft-2024
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

If we could trade down a little and still get him, that would be ideal.

Huge arm
Medicals came back clean
NFL ready
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
D_H

Post by D_H »

William Munny wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:11 pm

JJ McCarthy:

Na I’ll pass lolololo
Wow, all wrong.
J.J. McCarthy is a toolsy, young quarterback with a good ceiling and floor. McCarthy can win within and outside of the offensive structure. He is a good and fluid passer of the football. I appreciate his ability to throw with different speeds and with control. He can layer the football well with appropriate touch and air underneath the pass. McCarthy’s arm is more than NFL-caliber. He drives throws in the middle of the field with good velocity and zip. He is capable of fitting passes into tighter windows versus both man and zone coverages.

He has flashed as a quick decision-maker in the passing game. Whether off hard play-action, RPOs, or true dropback, McCarthy can operate quickly. He thrives and lives in the middle of the field, between the hashes as a three-level passer. I came away impressed with his ability to quickly identify the blitz and find his “hot” route. Against the blitz this season, he completed nearly 70% of his passes for 1,156 passing yards with six touchdowns and three interceptions. He is willing to take whatever the defenses give him. McCarthy checks the ball down to his open outlets after surveying down the field.

McCarthy is a plus-athlete. He is a real threat to hurt defenses with his running ability.
https://thedraftnetwork.com/2024/01/17/ ... draft-2024
Lol

Tape don’t lie son. He was horrible against basically a division two team in BG lol Kurt Warner does not have him in his top 5 QB coming out. Lol

https://youtu.be/5oLnTKHlMAw?si=qOmjMgAm0AZQZkRb