Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***NFL Draft Talk***

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
-VikingsTw-

Re: ***NFL Draft Talk***

Post by -VikingsTw- »

witljon wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:12 pm
-VikingsTw- wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:36 pm If the VIkings get Penix how nice would it be when we're in the playoffs vs the best Dlines in the game and we drafted Jackson Powers and he's an elite interior Lineman?

It's very important they improve there, not only for pass protection but to get this run game going so they can have more balance.
There’s going to be a lot of good players to choose from. We just got to pick the right ones. What if we don’t trade up and someone like Notre Dame’s OL Joe Alt fall in our laps at 11? Should we take him and hope to land a QB at 23? What if someone like WR Malik Nabers or edge Dallas Turner makes it to 11? Do we take the BPA?
I don't know you take Alt but there is a Tackle I believe from Oregon State that is projected to be a Guard. Apparently by far the best run blocker in the entire class of lineman. Some people are saying his tape is a full time highlight. I don't know for sure, there is to much to see in this draft. How much better and for sure prospect is he than Alt?

I believe PFF has him ranked #11. Now for a team looking for a QB taking a guard at 11 sounds wild and might be but when you talk about a very good player ranked fair for the pick and need it's a fit. It's also a position that's very undervalued yet face some of the most explosive athletes that can wreck an offensive game plan and ruin your playoff run. The great guards are starting to become very coveted and paid handsomely.

Also Byron Murphy is a need fit and very good vs both the run and pass, ranked properly for pick #11 and helps the Vikings tremendously.

The Vikings conundrum is the looming QB situation. Frankly I would like to see that get addressed and fixed so it's not an ongoing situation. It's really up to how you feel about Penix and Nix if your willing to chance it for 23. Drafting a guy like Penix means you can't be soft up the middle.

The Guard from Oregon State and Penix in the first round... I like that. I like many options but keep the faith that whatever happens will be best possible outcome.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Small Hands wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:19 pm
-VikingsTw- wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:36 pm If the VIkings get Penix how nice would it be when we're in the playoffs vs the best Dlines in the game and we drafted Jackson Powers and he's an elite interior Lineman?

It's very important they improve there, not only for pass protection but to get this run game going so they can have more balance.
There’s going to be a lot of good players to choose from. We just got to pick the right ones. What if we don’t trade up and someone like Notre Dame’s OL Joe Alt fall in our laps at 11? Should we take him and hope to land a QB at 23? What if someone like WR Malik Nabers or edge Dallas Turner makes it to 11? Do we take the BPA?
Alt won’t be there, but yes… O’Neil has been nicked up the last couple years. I’d take Alt in a heartbeat. He’s going to be a perennial pro bowler.
Agreed that Alt won’t be there. If he was, you probably take him and try to figure it out later. That would be a weird happenstance, though. And it wouldn’t help the product much in the short term. I agree you have to do it and figure it out later, but it would throw a wrinkle into the plans.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:54 pm

I don't know you take Alt but there is a Tackle I believe from Oregon State that is projected to be a Guard. Apparently by far the best run blocker in the entire class of lineman. Some people are saying his tape is a full time highlight. I don't know for sure, there is to much to see in this draft. How much better and for sure prospect is he than Alt?

I believe PFF has him ranked #11. Now for a team looking for a QB taking a guard at 11 sounds wild and might be but when you talk about a very good player ranked fair for the pick and need it's a fit. It's also a position that's very undervalued yet face some of the most explosive athletes that can wreck an offensive game plan and ruin your playoff run. The great guards are starting to become very coveted and paid handsomely.

Also Byron Murphy is a need fit and very good vs both the run and pass, ranked properly for pick #11 and helps the Vikings tremendously.

The Vikings conundrum is the looming QB situation. Frankly I would like to see that get addressed and fixed so it's not an ongoing situation. It's really up to how you feel about Penix and Nix if your willing to chance it for 23. Drafting a guy like Penix means you can't be soft up the middle.

The Guard from Oregon State and Penix in the first round... I like that. I like many options but keep the faith that whatever happens will be best possible outcome.
Fix the QB this year. It’s a legendary QB prospect draft. Most people think next year’s QB class is shit. You never know, but you have to operate on what you see now. JJ McCarthy is QB 4 by most estimations and he’d be the #1 pick in the draft next year. Quinn Ewers would have been fighting for spots in QB 5-8 this year and he went back to school so he can be QB 1-3 next year. Get it done this year.

Whether you end up with Maye, McCarthy, or Penix (or whoever) sit them behind Darnold for a year to learn and let Darnold get beat up behind any IOL weaknesses. Fix your IOL spots next year with your $100M in cap space.

There will always be good IOL and DL available both in the draft and free agency every year. Maybe not all-pros, but good ones. Such is not always true with quarterbacks. We miss here, we don’t know when the next time we’ll have a chance to get a guy this good will be.

- Isaac Asimov
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:20 pm
-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:54 pm

Fix the QB this year. It’s a legendary QB prospect draft. Most people think next year’s QB class is shit. You never know, but you have to operate on what you see now. JJ McCarthy is QB 4 by most estimations and he’d be the #1 pick in the draft next year. Quinn Ewers would have been fighting for spots in QB 5-8 this year and he went back to school so he can be QB 1-3 next year. Get it done this year.

Whether you end up with Maye, McCarthy, or Penix (or whoever) sit them behind Darnold for a year to learn and let Darnold get beat up behind any IOL weaknesses. Fix your IOL spots next year with your $100M in cap space.

There will always be good IOL and DL available both in the draft and free agency every year. Maybe not all-pros, but good ones. Such is not always true with quarterbacks. We miss here, we don’t know when the next time we’ll have a chance to get a guy this good will be.
True. Kwesi has said they’ve been eyeing this QB class for two years. This is the year to take the guy they want.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Not only is this a great QB draft class, at least on the surface, this is probably the best offensive line draft in many many years.

I'm really hoping that if they have to use all the top end picks for QB or, QB and Defense they will still have an opportunity to get a Cooper BeeBee type in the 4th round. It's kind of a crappy time not to have that 2nd and a 3rd rounder or multiple 3rds.

But I agree when you need a QB it is what it is and it's gotta be done. There is just to many unknowns with Darnold and the other QB's.

It's also very risky not to take a QB at 11 for sake of getting sniped.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:44 pm

Not only is this a great QB draft class, at least on the surface, this is probably the best offensive line draft in many many years.

I'm really hoping that if they have to use all the top end picks for QB or, QB and Defense they will still have an opportunity to get a Cooper BeeBee type in the 4th round. It's kind of a crappy time not to have that 2nd and a 3rd rounder or multiple 3rds.

But I agree when you need a QB it is what it is and it's gotta be done. There is just to many unknowns with Darnold and the other QB's.

It's also very risky not to take a QB at 11 for sake of getting sniped.
I don't think there are that many unknowns with Darnold.

- Isaac Asimov
witljon

Post by witljon »

The Big 12 defensive player of the year and Outland Trophy winner T’Vondre Sweat of Texas was booked into jail after being arrested for driving while intoxicated. He was the No.3 defensive tackle on Mel Kiper’s big board.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

witljon wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:03 pm The Big 12 defensive player of the year and Outland Trophy winner T’Vondre Sweat of Texas was booked into jail after being arrested for driving while intoxicated. He was the No.3 defensive tackle on Mel Kiper’s big board.

Wow, so dumb. So damn dumb.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:49 pm

I don't think there are that many unknowns with Darnold.

He hasn't really been on any good teams. That's about it. I think he makes a phenomenal backup QB if you could keep him around for it.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Vikings are having interviews with Byron Murphy and Dallas Turner. There's a lot of smoke this time of year, but this is still interesting. I have a gut feeling they've realized the moving up to #3 is not a realistic option. So it's either move up and take McCarthy (which may take more than people think if there's a bidding war), or get Nix/Penix and BPA available with the other pick.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Tuck ya in wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:18 pm Vikings are having interviews with Byron Murphy and Dallas Turner. There's a lot of smoke this time of year, but this is still interesting. I have a gut feeling they've realized the moving up to #3 is not a realistic option. So it's either move up and take McCarthy (which may take more than people think if there's a bidding war), or get Nix/Penix and BPA available with the other pick.
I wonder how Turner’s visit to Minnesota today went. :thinking:
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

witljon wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:37 pm
Tuck ya in wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:18 pm Vikings are having interviews with Byron Murphy and Dallas Turner. There's a lot of smoke this time of year, but this is still interesting. I have a gut feeling they've realized the moving up to #3 is not a realistic option. So it's either move up and take McCarthy (which may take more than people think if there's a bidding war), or get Nix/Penix and BPA available with the other pick.
Doesn’t matter unless they are trading up for him, he won’t be there at #11.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

He's a beast, wouldn't mind him as our plan B.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:01 pm
9 of the top-10 picks are just about set:

Williams
Daniels
Maye
McCarthy
Harrison Jr
Odunze
Nabers
Alt
Bowers

Turner could round out the top-10. Could be another OT as well.
Last edited by Beef Supreme on Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:59 pm

Williams
Daniels
Maye
McCarthy
Harrison Jr
Odunze
Nabers
Alt
Bowers

I say he goes #8 to the Falcons.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:02 pm

Williams
Daniels
Maye
McCarthy
Harrison Jr
Odunze
Nabers
Alt
Bowers

If we don’t go QB at 11 and pick a defensive player, I think I’d rather go Murphy II or Newton. Our DL is embarrassing. #1 need after QB and it isn’t close. I’ve got Newton, Murphy, and Turner more or less on the same tier as prospects. Give me the lineman.

- Isaac Asimov
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:03 pm

Williams
Daniels
Maye
McCarthy
Harrison Jr
Odunze
Nabers
Alt
Bowers

If we don’t go QB at 11 and pick a defensive player, I think I’d rather go Murphy II or Newton. Our DL is embarrassing. #1 need after QB and it isn’t close. I’ve got Newton, Murphy, and Turner more or less on the same tier as prospects. Give me the lineman.
A beef eater in the middle is a must. But grab the guy who you feel will make the biggest impact.

Take mocks with a grain of salt, but I've consistently seen Turner in the 7-11 range, and Murphy and Newton kind of fluctuating all over the 1st, (10-28). There is separation as prospects go.

But I hear you on a middle guy in being more of a need for us. I would happy with any of the 3, honestly.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Tuck ya in wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:20 pm

A beef eater in the middle is a must. But grab the guy who you feel will make the biggest impact.

Take mocks with a grain of salt, but I've consistently seen Turner in the 7-11 range, and Murphy and Newton kind of fluctuating all over the 1st, (10-28). There is separation as prospects go.

But I hear you on a middle guy in being more of a need for us. I would happy with any of the 3, honestly.
I see that too. But when I view the prospects themselves, I don’t see Turner as a better edge rusher than Murphy is a DT, for example. Generally, EDGE guys go higher as a more premium position, but we have some pass rushers and we got nothing inside. Is Turner on a different tier talent-wise from Murphy and Newton? I say no.

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:26 pm

I see that too. But when I view the prospects themselves, I don’t see Turner as a better edge rusher than Murphy is a DT, for example. Generally, EDGE guys go higher as a more premium position, but we have some pass rushers and we got nothing inside. Is Turner on a different tier talent-wise from Murphy and Newton? I say no.
Yes, Turner is in a different tier imo.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
witljon

Post by witljon »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:40 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:26 pm

Yes, Turner is in a different tier imo.
When I’ve read about these guys, you’re probably right about Turner, but what gives me some hesitation is he didn’t exactly stick out in the few Alabama games I watched.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Murphy is nice, he's not a one dimensional prospect. He's good vs both the run and the pass. High energy effort. Great Flores fit.

I think if they want Murphy, which they should they will have to take him at 11 and hope a QB falls to 23 or risk not having a good QB option.

It usually never works the way we think with the amount of QB's that go so it could happen again but it's risky. Likely leaves you with what is left and not so much of a choice.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Latu visiting the Vikes today. Could make sense at 23 if we don’t trade up.

Penix/Latu?

Could be a lot worse.

- Isaac Asimov
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

They're both really talented and they both have substantial injury history.

Latu's speed is a problem for defenders. He's not gonna be the force once he gets to who he is tackling like Verse is but Verse doesn't have Latu's speed and quickness.

I don't know if Jared Verse has a chance in hell to make it to 23 but if he did and you didn't have the pick you would be kicking yourself. Or for that matter Latu stays healthy... That's a game changing pass rusher.

It's why I would chill at 11 for the QB and add another piece to the puzzle.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:19 pm They're both really talented and they both have substantial injury history.

Latu's speed is a problem for defenders. He's not gonna be the force once he gets to who he is tackling like Verse is but Verse doesn't have Latu's speed and quickness.

I don't know if Jared Verse has a chance in hell to make it to 23 but if he did and you didn't have the pick you would be kicking yourself. Or for that matter Latu stays healthy... That's a game changing pass rusher.

Latu's hand usage in the pass rush is really advanced.

But he could be off 3/4ths of the team's draft boards because of medical. He has had fusion surgery on his neck and was at one time "medically retired" from his football career.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:35 am

Murphy is nice, he's not a one dimensional prospect. He's good vs both the run and the pass. High energy effort. Great Flores fit.

I think if they want Murphy, which they should they will have to take him at 11 and hope a QB falls to 23 or risk not having a good QB option.

It usually never works the way we think with the amount of QB's that go so it could happen again but it's risky. Likely leaves you with what is left and not so much of a choice.
The QB thing really screws up our strategy to get another blue chipper in the top of this draft. I get it though, we need resolution at the position and I'm all for it. I just would love having these 2 picks with the QB spot solidified.

If the Vikings were content with taking QB 5/6, they could take their choice at #11, and trade back up from #23 to take Penix/Nix. Many mocks are forecasting that exact scenario lately. But like you said that may be getting too risky of missing their guy.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Tuck ya in wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:00 pm

The QB thing really screws up our strategy to get another blue chipper in the top of this draft. I get it though, we need resolution at the position and I'm all for it. I just would love having these 2 picks with the QB spot solidified.

If the Vikings were content with taking QB 5/6, they could take their choice at #11, and trade back up from #23 to take Penix/Nix. Many mocks are forecasting that exact scenario lately. But like you said that may be getting too risky of missing their guy.
Here’s the thing… Even if we had Kirt and had these two picks to use, it still wouldn’t have went anywhere. Time to find that young cat who can spin it. I just get this eerie feeling that Darnold is going to exceed expectations only to blow a whole bunch of draft picks on a bust at the position.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Tuck ya in wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:00 pm

I still think a Maye trade is going to happen. It’s just too setup for it to happen. It’s their top guy and that shouldn’t even be a question among froobs at this point. The question is, can they land him?

I am 99% sure that if Maye makes it past #2, the Vikings will be trading the farm for him. The reason it hasn’t happened yet is because we don’t know what WASH is going to do. I believe he’s the only guy they are willing to trade up for.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:24 pm
-VikingsTw- wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:19 pm They're both really talented and they both have substantial injury history.

But he could be off 3/4ths of the team's draft boards because of medical. He has had fusion surgery on his neck and was at one time "medically retired" from his football career.
The really positive outlook for him is having played 2 seasons since the injury and 23 sacks later.

That's gonna help him quite a bit.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:10 pm
mlhouse wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:24 pm

The really positive outlook for him is having played 2 seasons since the injury and 23 sacks later.

That's gonna help him quite a bit.
Yes but NFL teams are very sensitive about medical. Not saying they will with Latu but it very well could happen.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

I don’t mind Latu if he’s there at #23 and we end up keeping both picks and the board falls that way but their are plenty of guys I prefer over him on D.

Turner (Pipe dream he is even there at #11), Verse, Murphy, Mitchell etc.. Too drunk to go over them all but there are a good handful of brothas on defense i’m taking over Latu.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master