Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

AJ Pierzynski is 100% correct. Pohlads are a joke.

A place to discuss the MN Twins
salamander

AJ Pierzynski is 100% correct. Pohlads are a joke.

Post by salamander »

'They're so broke': A.J. Pierzynski rips Twins owners after Polanco trade

"It's just interesting to me because the Twins could take this division easily if they just spent a little bit of money."
-JONATHAN HARRISON

Former Minnesota Twins catcher A.J. Pierzynski is not a fan of the Twins trading Jorge Polanco to the Seattle Mariners.

On Monday the Twins traded the longtime second baseman to the Mariners for right-handed starter Anthony DeSclafani, right-handed reliever Justin Topa, outfield prospect Gabriel Gonzalez and right-handed pitching prospect Darren Bowen.

Pierzynski, reacting to the trade on Tuesday's episode of Foul Territory, ripped the Twins owners, the Pohlad family,

"It seems like they're getting rid of a lot of good players," Pierzynski began, noting that starting pitchers Sonny Gray and Kenta Maeda also left Minnesota as free agents.

Host Scott Braun brought up the Twins' lack of a TV deal, which has led to lost revenue and therefore a reduction in payroll, and that triggered Pierzynski to fire up the "Cheap Pohlads" bat signal.

"They're so broke. The Pohlads are worth billions and billions of dollars," Pierzynski scoffed.

Even after the Polanco trade the Twins are still the favorite to retain the AL Central crown in 2024.

"It's just interesting to me because the Twins could take this division easily if they just spent a little bit of money," continued Pierzynski. "It's like nobody in the Central wants to win the division right now. The Guardians, they don't want to win, they haven't signed anybody. The White Sox are low-end bottom-feeding right now. The Royals are trying a little bit. The Tigers have done some stuff. But the Twins, the team with clearly the best roster going into the offseason, have nickeled and dimed it. If I'm a Twins fan I'm a little bit concerned."

https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethe ... anco-trade
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Re: AJ Pierzynski is 100% correct. Pohlads are a joke.

Post by salamander »

The Twins payroll should be a minimum of $200 million every year. Fuck the Pohlads.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
R403

Post by R403 »

salamander wrote: ↑Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:23 am The Twins payroll should be a minimum of $200 million every year. Fuck the Pohlads.

We were 17th last year and the local media tried to make it sound ownership was spending wildly. πŸ˜‚
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

jorge is replaceable. kenta is a 4.50 ERA pitcher at best. the thing i'll remember most about sonny is him losing that game to the astros in the playoffs last year.

i do agree that this talk about lack of money when you're talking about the pohlads is bullshit. they got the money.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

weimy froob wrote: ↑Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:35 pm jorge is replaceable. kenta is a 4.50 ERA pitcher at best. the thing i'll remember most about sonny is him losing that game to the astros in the playoffs last year.

i do agree that this talk about lack of money when you're talking about the pohlads is bullshit. they got the money.
I'd certainly like them to spend more money. I'd guess we all would. This offseason has been particularly annoying because not only have they not spent hardly anything, but they've shed payroll on top of that. And they're pretty cowardly hiding behind the excuse of the whole Bally Sports fiasco.

I have more of an issue with how they spend the money rather than how much they spend. Gallo was a stupid contract from the jump. Correa isn't worth 30 million plus when the strength of your farm system is middle infield. Vazquez was a waste of 10 million.
salamander

Post by salamander »

R403 wrote: ↑Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:53 am
salamander wrote: ↑Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:23 am The Twins payroll should be a minimum of $200 million every year. Fuck the Pohlads.

We were 17th last year and the local media tried to make it sound ownership was spending wildly. πŸ˜‚
It's just ridiculous.
salamander

Post by salamander »

weimy froob wrote: ↑Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:35 pm jorge is replaceable. kenta is a 4.50 ERA pitcher at best. the thing i'll remember most about sonny is him losing that game to the astros in the playoffs last year.

It's not even losing those two players. I don't mind moving on from them and I think I like the Jorge trade. That just seems like a smart move.
Stack this roster and let's play. We need to be spending $100 million more on our roster right now + the cash we got from the Jorge trade on top of that.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

salamander wrote: ↑Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:37 pm

It's not even losing those two players. I don't mind moving on from them and I think I like the Jorge trade. That just seems like a smart move.
Stack this roster and let's play. We need to be spending $100 million more on our roster right now + the cash we got from the Jorge trade on top of that.
This is correct. This trade isn't the problem on its own - its the woeful refusal to get into the top (12? 10?) in payroll that is so frustrating. This town is looking for an excuse to fill Target Field, but the utter lack of commitment from the front office keeps many away. They don't need to spend like the Yankees and Red Sox either.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Orioles fans are super pumped because their cheap ass owner is selling the team. I wish we could have that feeling.
Eroder wrote: ↑Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: ↑Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Hoop Dreams wrote: ↑Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:41 pm Orioles fans are super pumped because their cheap ass owner is selling the team. I wish we could have that feeling.
Hopefully one day the Pohlads sell, it's the only way.
🀞🀞🀞⚾️⚾️⚾️
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Tuck ya in wrote: ↑Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:50 pm
Hoop Dreams wrote: ↑Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:41 pm Orioles fans are super pumped because their cheap ass owner is selling the team. I wish we could have that feeling.
Hopefully one day the Pohlads sell, it's the only way.
🀞🀞🀞⚾️⚾️⚾️
Now that the 3rd generation guy has taken an active role in controlling the team, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Slap Shot wrote: ↑Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:36 pm

This is correct. This trade isn't the problem on its own - its the woeful refusal to get into the top (12? 10?) in payroll that is so frustrating. This town is looking for an excuse to fill Target Field, but the utter lack of commitment from the front office keeps many away. They don't need to spend like the Yankees and Red Sox either.
If they just built towards being a top payroll for a year or two every decade they'd be making money hand of fist.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

salamander wrote: ↑Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:51 am
Slap Shot wrote: ↑Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:36 pm

If they just built towards being a top payroll for a year or two every decade they'd be making money hand of fist.
Also I'm pretty sure the Pohlads not only are doing fine financially, and if they ever operate the Twins at a loss in a season it's a tax write-off.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Leon

Post by Leon »

I'm convinced Sonny Gray did not like playing for Rocco and his early hooks -- i know the stat-geeks out there will say that the stats say 5-6 innings is the new normal, but it seems that Gray was not happy here.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Leon wrote: ↑Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:26 am I'm convinced Sonny Gray did not like playing for Rocco and his early hooks -- i know the stat-geeks out there will say that the stats say 5-6 innings is the new normal, but it seems that Gray was not happy here.
They can shout it from the rooftops, it doesn't mean it's true. Sure, he had a good season here, but I'm not convinced it's because of Rocco's spreadsheet. His pitching coach left mid-season in 1st place. That's a huge red flag.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Leon wrote: ↑Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:26 am I'm convinced Sonny Gray did not like playing for Rocco and his early hooks -- i know the stat-geeks out there will say that the stats say 5-6 innings is the new normal, but it seems that Gray was not happy here.
100%

The on the mound conversations and post game interviews speak for themselves. The guy has a proven record and was managed like a rookie. I think Rocco reluctantly let go of his leash on him a little too late.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Stat Geeks are morons.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

To use the uncertainty of the TV deal (that's now in place) as the scapegoat to not improve the team is a fucking travesty to the current players and the fans.

This team was only a couple of pieces of getting back to the same position (if not better) for a pennant run and ownership shits on the organization again.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

ForCaleb wrote: ↑Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:15 am To use the uncertainty of the TV deal (that's now in place) as the scapegoat to not improve the team is a fucking travesty to the current players and the fans.

This team was only a couple of pieces of getting back to the same position (if not better) for a pennant run and ownership shits on the organization again.
I'm with you 100% on this, more now than ever. Normally we are used to this horrific ownership group, basically numb to it after decades of proof that winning a world series is way down the totem pole on their checklist. This season however, they are coming off of a good year in which they made a little noise in the playoffs, pre-sale tickets are way up, are closer, and even gained the casual fans attention.

Like you said, they are literally a couple pieces away from being in the true World Series contender conversation. This is a massive management/ownership failure so far. And to have the nerve to bring up the TV deal nonsense as an excuse, GTFO with that BS! There's trades to make to acquire top flight affordable pitching, we have assets, and this team is ready now. You don't need to go get Snell for a boat-load, etc. That Corbin Burnes trade the Orioles made was the final straw for me. Pathetic, I loathe this Ownership.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

What's frustrating is that this team right now is loaded for bear except for starting pitching. IMO all we really need right now is one addition of a SP who can be a legitimate number 2 behind Pablo, basically replacing Sonny. The offense should be explosive. The defense is solid. The relief pitchers are top 5 in the league imo. There's still time for Falvine to pull something off and I'm keepin the faith that they will!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hornets wrote: ↑Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:58 am What's frustrating is that this team right now is loaded for bear except for starting pitching. IMO all we really need right now is one addition of a SP who can be a legitimate number 2 behind Pablo, basically replacing Sonny. The offense should be explosive. The defense is solid. The relief pitchers are top 5 in the league imo. There's still time for Falvine to pull something off and I'm keepin the faith that they will!
twitter ted had an article where he asked the question--do the twins have the best bullpen in baseball? didn't read it--but to be having that conversation is a positive. find someone/have someone step up to eat up close to the innings that sonny did and they'd be fine there as well imo. if they did there'd be a good chance he'd have a better record than what sonny posted last year too.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Again, if Pablo goes down, the season is fucked. That's why you can't have too many top-end starters.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Hornets wrote: ↑Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:58 am What's frustrating is that this team right now is loaded for bear except for starting pitching. IMO all we really need right now is one addition of a SP who can be a legitimate number 2 behind Pablo, basically replacing Sonny. The offense should be explosive. The defense is solid. The relief pitchers are top 5 in the league imo. There's still time for Falvine to pull something off and I'm keepin the faith that they will!
I hope you're right, there is still time. But I'm not holding my breath. By the way, I guess I'll eat crow with our Jordan Love debate....at least for now. :mrgreen:
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Tuck ya in wrote: ↑Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:51 am
I hope you're right, there is still time. But I'm not holding my breath. By the way, I guess I'll eat crow with our Jordan Love debate....at least for now. :mrgreen:
:beer:
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
salamander

Post by salamander »

We should've signed Ohtani and Yamamoto.

SPEND SPEND SPEND!!!! Fuck the Pohlads.
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Post by ChrisPaulGeorgeHill »

Guess we may have interest in Jake Odorizzi.

Boy oh boy!!!! :lol:
salamander

Post by salamander »

ChrisPaulGeorgeHill wrote: ↑Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:20 pm Guess we may have interest in Jake Odorizzi.

Boy oh boy!!!! :lol:
sigh...
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Joe Pohlad was on WCCO a little bit ago and made some interesting comments...

Eroder wrote: ↑Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: ↑Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Hoop Dreams wrote: ↑Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:05 pm Joe Pohlad was on WCCO a little bit ago and made some interesting comments...

Some thought having a younger Pohlad would bring more spending and a different philosophy. Ahh yeah, no. Nope. ☠️⚾️