Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

What is your line in the sand on Cousins salary

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
hategreenticemase

What is your line in the sand on Cousins salary

Post by hategreenticemase »

Seeing some "reports" he wants two years for 90M, guaranteed I presume. I googled top paid QB and I believe for this last year it would have been like 10th or so.

For me the uncertainty of the injury is hard, combined with age. It's a major fucking injury. At the same time the guy has been remarkably durable.

I'm more pro Cousins than many, but have always and will continue to acknowledge the warts. He is a very good QB, but not elite. He has to have a quality OL. With that and a quality D certainly he could win a SB.

For me, I am leveraging 3 key factors:

1. The injury harms his marketability. It has to. Now if some other team says f*** it he's the missing ingredient, well, then that limits how much leverage exists due to the injury.

2. He reportedly loves it here, loves the team, loves the O and my guess is, he may like JJ a bit. :lol:

3. He is going to be 37 years old, does he really want to start over somewhere else at this point of his life? Uproot the family?

So when I say leverage, I mean I'm going to keep the total cost of this thing to where it helps our overall scenario salary cap wise. However, I'm clearly going to roll out the red carpet and make the guy feel like we have to have him also. So perhaps I put some guaranteed money in a third year just as a gesture with the understanding that if we need to be done with him after 2 years I'll live with the hit within the third year. I'm offering like 110M for 3 years, first two years fully guaranteed and guarantee 15M the final year. Add a couple void years and let's go.

So while I think 45 million for two seasons is probably a semi-discounted deal, I'm going to go to him and say listen this is what we need to do to in order to have a chance to win a super Bowl. We want you, we need you but this is what we need to do. And I'm probably not going to do 45 per year. I guess my line in the sand would be upper 30 million range per year, with only the first two years guaranteed, but willing to guarantee some money in the third year if it makes the diff.

What's your line?
leaajo

Re: What is your line in the sand on Cousins salary

Post by leaajo »

Here's a quarter Kirk call someone who cares.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

30 mil a year and no guarantees.
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

minnemike wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:00 am 30 mil a year and no guarantees.
Bingo. Tell him if he wants to stay we need money to build a better team around him, if he wants to max his earnings wish him well but tell him he can’t do it here
j-one

Post by j-one »

Bummer for the Vikes that Kirk hits free agency before the draft. Kirk has the right to test the market but I wonder if he'd sign before free agency if the Vikes simply hit his $ and years?
Kwesi could also be calling Chi, Wa and NE before free agency to see if he can lock in a trade for draft slot to pick QB1, 2 or 3.
I'd be OK with Kirk for two years but if that means we can't sign JJ or whatever else then let's move forward with new QB.
Sportsrgreat

Post by Sportsrgreat »

Is he even going to be healthy enough to play by the first game next season?
salamander

Post by salamander »

It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
TheLokNesMonster

Post by TheLokNesMonster »

minnemike wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:00 am 30 mil a year and no guarantees.
That would be my line in the sand for Cousins. He wants a team around him, he has to be a team guy.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

I saw somewhere (sorry didn't copy the link) that the rumor he's asking for 2/90 is complete bullshit. We shall see. Maybe.
hategreenticemase

Slap Shot wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:39 pm I saw somewhere (sorry didn't copy the link) that the rumor he's asking for 2/90 is complete bullshit. We shall see. Maybe.
I would be surprised if he demands that deal, but then again, nothing surprises me.

Fans overrate the "the dude is a hundreds millionaire he doesn't need the last fucking money" or just expect someone to give the hometown discount. Athletes have ego's, whether a more humble guy like Cousins or a jackass like TO was. They all have an ego, period. The salary is one of the ways to keep score on how good you are. Plus, they have earned it with great play.

But I do think there is an almost perfect storm here. Cousins went from a defense focused curmudgeon old fuck who didn't even want him here as HC to an offensive minded young HC who helped grow his leadership/clutch performing to perhaps best of his career. He has a HOF receiver who is 24. He has two other potential probowl weapons. The OL at least now is decent. He has an offense tailor made for him and for first time ever could have 3rd year in a row with same guy coaching him on it. He is 37 and at a stage where chance to win SB / cement legacy could and prob should outweigh contract. And his market value took a big hit anyway with the Achilles.

Reread that paragraph - look at all those reasons that just scream "no brainer" that he should want to give them a fairly reasonable deal and close his career out here.

Again, I'm not the guy screaming "how much money you need" or "he should give hometown discount". But honestly, for all those reasons I listed, I think it could actually happen.
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

salamander wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:01 am viewtopic.php?t=78733
:lol:

hates can't help himself sometimes.

Look at me! Look at me!

hategreenticemase

Butch Bradford wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:30 pm

Look at me! Look at me!

You actually started an NFL thread based on a "sign and trade". Either you are really that stupid or it is the definition of "Look at me!". Go back under your rock, the adults are talking. :lol:
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:36 pm

Look at me! Look at me!

You actually started an NFL thread based on a "sign and trade". Either you are really that stupid or it is the definition of "Look at me!". Go back under your rock, the adults are talking. :lol:
ok, retread thread.

And it was speculation.

That is what we are doing during the off season, genius.
hategreenticemase

Butch Bradford wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:39 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:36 pm

Look at me! Look at me!

ok, retread thread.

And it was speculation.

That is what we are doing during the off season, genius.
Classic. That's not speculation, dummy, it's making a fool out of yourself. "Sibg and trade". :lol:
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

My line in the sand is $32 million. I would prefer $28 million which I think is fairer.

3 years, $96 million. $32 million guaranteed at signing which would be his 2024 base, signing bonus, and some form of 2025 compensation structured in a way that makes sense to the salary cap (most likely the $32 million would be mostly signing bonus allocated over several years on the cap, including additional void years).

Year 2, 2025, would be a $32 million guaranteed 5th league day of 2025 that would be the guaranteed compensation from signing, a base salary and option bonus, heavily weighted to the option bonus.

Year 3, 2026 would be the same each option bonus adding in additional void year.

There is zero chance I, if running the Vikings, would go above $32 million and there aint no way in hell I would guarantee at signing two years for a 36 year old QB coming off Achilles tendon tear. ZERO CHANCE. If that is what he demands and Oakland is willing to pay up, Jake Browning is my starting QB on the depth charts when the preseason starts.
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

I don't want him at any price. Time to move on. There is the age and injury. Yeah, he has nice stats but the offense has underperformed with him in terms of scoring points. Part of that is on koc too, maybe a big part of it even. I think cousins plays it safe too often and is not very good when the play breaks down. Way too many three and outs as well. It will be hard to find someone better, but I think it is possible to find better value.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

Seventeen dollars.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Look at me! Look at me!

It's just ridiculous at this point. The guy just needs to grow up at some point.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Post by salamander »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:50 pm My line in the sand is $32 million. I would prefer $28 million which I think is fairer.

3 years, $96 million. $32 million guaranteed at signing which would be his 2024 base, signing bonus, and some form of 2025 compensation structured in a way that makes sense to the salary cap (most likely the $32 million would be mostly signing bonus allocated over several years on the cap, including additional void years).

Year 2, 2025, would be a $32 million guaranteed 5th league day of 2025 that would be the guaranteed compensation from signing, a base salary and option bonus, heavily weighted to the option bonus.

Year 3, 2026 would be the same each option bonus adding in additional void year.

There is zero chance I, if running the Vikings, would go above $32 million and there aint no way in hell I would guarantee at signing two years for a 36 year old QB coming off Achilles tendon tear. ZERO CHANCE. If that is what he demands and Oakland is willing to pay up, Jake Browning is my starting QB on the depth charts when the preseason starts.
God dammit. I.... actually don't hate that at all. IF (big if there) Cousins is willing to sign, paying him around 15th in the league for QB salary is fair to me. That's about what his skill is, therefor the salary should be about there. Gives us 3 more years with a limited player who's got good passing numbers. We'd have some extra room under the cap to fill a need in FA with competent play. Maybe we can build a defense that Cousins can't tire out with his onslaught of 3 and outs.

We can then go after a QB next year. (I want Sanders so bad. Wish he would've been in this draft class) That QB can then learn under Cousins for a year or two. Not a bad path forward.

But absolutely, NO I'm not guaranteeing much of the contract.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

salamander wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:48 am
mlhouse wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:50 pm My line in the sand is $32 million. I would prefer $28 million which I think is fairer.

God dammit. I.... actually don't hate that at all. IF (big if there) Cousins is willing to sign, paying him around 15th in the league for QB salary is fair to me. That's about what his skill is, therefor the salary should be about there. Gives us 3 more years with a limited player who's got good passing numbers. We'd have some extra room under the cap to fill a need in FA with competent play. Maybe we can build a defense that Cousins can't tire out with his onslaught of 3 and outs.

We can then go after a QB next year. (I want Sanders so bad. Wish he would've been in this draft class) That QB can then learn under Cousins for a year or two. Not a bad path forward.

I think Kirk needs to live with a contract that guarantees as it goes. If another team wants to make that commitment, then let them do it.

I am not going to pass on a QB this year to wait for Sanders next year. I also do not think that Sanders can learn under Cousins because the offense you would need to run with Shadeur would be very different than the offense you run with Kirk.

This is the year to take a QB.
salamander

Post by salamander »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:41 am

I think Kirk needs to live with a contract that guarantees as it goes. If another team wants to make that commitment, then let them do it.

I am not going to pass on a QB this year to wait for Sanders next year. I also do not think that Sanders can learn under Cousins because the offense you would need to run with Shadeur would be very different than the offense you run with Kirk.

Definitely not opposed to QB this year. Just throwing stuff against the wall.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

salamander wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:00 am
mlhouse wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:41 am

Definitely not opposed to QB this year. Just throwing stuff against the wall.
Got it. And maybe that is the fall back plan, because not everything you plan in football, as in all of life, works out.

This is a year that I really have a lot of uncertainty about what the Vikings will do. I think their draft leadership is all over the board, and questionable although I thought the WR pick last year was a solid concept.

To me it is a no-brainer to draft a QB this year, and again, I dislike drafting QBs in the first round especially at these positional premiums. Remove the positional premium and I agree Mccarthy is a late first early second draft prospect (still a high NFL draft pick). But he is a QB and to get one you have to pay the price, unless you are in position to draft.

I draft the QB, add a player that can contribute to the defensive line rotation in the 2nd, the later picks are for depth and development, and then I fill the needs in free agency. I think soon the "What is your offseason plan" type threads will be up and I actually have thought of a lot of details for that.
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

I'm hoping for a hometown discount at least, he's already maximized every earning opportunity he's had, why not give a little back to the team that got you there. Do a Tom Brady and take less for a better team around you. 30 million sounds too cheap, but 35 million sounds likes too much, somewhere in between would be good enough for me. But, they have GOT to start thinking about life post-Kirk, the sooner the better.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
TheLokNesMonster

Obi-Wan wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:48 am I don't want him at any price. Time to move on. There is the age and injury. Yeah, he has nice stats but the offense has underperformed with him in terms of scoring points. Part of that is on koc too, maybe a big part of it even. I think cousins plays it safe too often and is not very good when the play breaks down. Way too many three and outs as well. It will be hard to find someone better, but I think it is possible to find better value.
Is anybody in that 20-30M FA QB range even half the QB Cousins is, even with the age/injury? Value is only value if you get something out of it.

The Vikes need to draft a QB and make it stick, but this might not be the year. They could though. There are a lot of guys to draft this year. They need to resign Cousins though unless the plan is to reset this whole thing.
Herky

Post by Herky »

Nothing. He will be 36 in August, is coming off the Achilles' Tendon issue, and likely has already peaked. He was playing great this season but you can’t expect that again this year. Plus Minnesota isn’t complete enough to set up everything around him which what he needs to succeed for a full season. It’s time to move on and sign a bridge QB and draft one. Cousins is going to ask for way too much money and Minnesota needs to get someone who can longterm be with Jefferson and Addison.
TheLokNesMonster

Herky wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:53 pm Nothing. He will be 36 in August, is coming off the Achilles' Tendon issue, and likely has already peaked. He was playing great this season but you can’t expect that again this year. Plus Minnesota isn’t complete enough to set up everything around him which what he needs to succeed for a full season. It’s time to move on and sign a bridge QB and draft one. Cousins is going to ask for way too much money and Minnesota needs to get someone who can longterm be with Jefferson and Addison.
What’s a bridge QB? Give a description.
Bunker Inspector

Post by Bunker Inspector »

$1

If Kirt wants more than that, he should take a hike

You get so emotional baby

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

TheLokNesMonster wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:51 pm
Herky wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:53 pm Nothing. He will be 36 in August, is coming off the Achilles' Tendon issue, and likely has already peaked. He was playing great this season but you can’t expect that again this year. Plus Minnesota isn’t complete enough to set up everything around him which what he needs to succeed for a full season. It’s time to move on and sign a bridge QB and draft one. Cousins is going to ask for way too much money and Minnesota needs to get someone who can longterm be with Jefferson and Addison.
Someone to hold the reins and be starter short-term while his rookie backup develops and grows to eventually replace him.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
TheLokNesMonster

Night Train wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:02 am
TheLokNesMonster wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:51 pm
Someone to hold the reins and be starter short-term while his rookie backup develops and grows to eventually replace him.
I am actually asking why Cousins doesn’t fit that description? Is it because the guy is going to want too much? Because if that isn’t it, I doubt you would do better than an incumbent just finishing up while the rookie watches.

Are people wanting to draft a guy this year? Is there anyone outside of Williams and Daniels, and I guess Maye? Would you want the Vikes to use that 11 pick on one of the other QB’s? No idea. I might use a second on a guy.
Lesueurcountyguy

Post by Lesueurcountyguy »

You guys the GM? Who cares?
I like a tight beat