Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official NFL Conference Championship Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Re: *** Official NFL Conference Championship Thread ***

Post by Mandatory »

Gork wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:06 am
Unbiased Observer wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:53 am
Mandatory wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:51 am

Oh for sure... but I'd change it to I don't want Lions fans to even be able to say they've "made" a Super Bowl. Fuck em.
Where does the bitterness come from?
He's a Viking fan. That's it in a nutshell.
I firmly believe sports isn't about winning, it's about seeing your opponent lose and the misery in their eyes, and taking joy from that. Otherwise everyone would get a winner's trophy. That might seem cynical but I consider it realistic. In that vein, I revel in the suffering of teams and fan bases I don't like.

As far as bitterness, I'm glad that the Lions fans are suffering for once the bitterness that Vikings fans have suffered MANY times.

Part of why Biased Observer guy is boring to me is because he already knows that and the bitter Packer fan in him can't help but ask stupid questions.

The reality is at the end of the day I don't really care all that much.. but if I see an opportunity to enjoy the moment, I'm going to take it.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

witljon wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:10 am
Mandatory wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:25 am Dan Campbell is a red nosed fraud. (Seriously, why is his nose so red?)

Good luck to the Lions reloading and getting back there. Their coach is a liability and their QB is butt. They won't have a cake walk playoff scheduled.

Hell, they might not even make the playoffs next year assuming the Vikings resign Cousins and the Packers are as good as they think they are (I'm not convinced of that one).
Dan Campbell transformed the Lions from 3-13-1 in 2021 to 9-8 in 2022 to 12-5 and the NFC championship game this season.
And then he lost them the game... :lol: :lol: :lol:

As I said, good luck reloading.

#BaltimoreStrong
Unbiased Observer

Post by Unbiased Observer »

Mandatory wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:51 am

Oh for sure... but I'd change it to I don't want Lions fans to even be able to say they've "made" a Super Bowl. Fuck em.
I thought it might be therapeutic for him to say it. Open up about his feelings.
After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Unbiased Observer wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:46 am

I thought it might be therapeutic for him to say it. Open up about his feelings.
:lol:

#BaltimoreStrong
Unbiased Observer

Mandatory wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:13 am

I firmly believe sports isn't about winning, it's about seeing your opponent lose and the misery in their eyes, and taking joy from that. Otherwise everyone would get a winner's trophy. That might seem cynical but I consider it realistic. In that vein, I revel in the suffering of teams and fan bases I don't like.

As far as bitterness, I'm glad that the Lions fans are suffering for once the bitterness that Vikings fans have suffered MANY times.

Part of why Biased Observer guy is boring to me is because he already knows that and the bitter Packer fan in him can't help but ask stupid questions.

The reality is at the end of the day I don't really care all that much.. but if I see an opportunity to enjoy the moment, I'm going to take it.
I'm far from bitter. As a very casual football fan I have had the enjoyment of watching the Packers win two Superbowls. That is all any realistic football fan can ask for in a lifetime. Wanting (and I am not saying you want this) some sort of Brady-type dynasty is not realistic. If I told you that the Vikings would win two Superbowls before you die, you would probably take that in a heartbeat.

Anything else now is just good sausage gravy.
After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.
Gork

Post by Gork »

I've had the enjoyment of 5 NFL titles (first two in B & W) (4 Super Bowls) Seen some unbelievable wins and some heartbreaking defeats. This year was a gravy year right from the start as expectations were in the toilet. Extra biscuits came when the Packers made the "offs" I admit I felt as much joy in the Packers making the post season as I did the Vikings finishing in the circular file. If I die before the Vikings win a title I will be a happy man no matter what happens with the Packers going forward. That New Years Eve performance by the Vikes was pathetic and I'd be embarrassed if I were one of there fans.
There will come a day when Donald Trump is gone, but Calebs' stupidity will remain!

TRUMPHUMPERS :humper: ™ ARE TRAITORS!

Proud member of the RFP!

Never trust a former president who wears Jim Bakker’s haircut and Tammy Faye’s makeup.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:01 am
weimy froob wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:17 pm
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:50 pm

Getting points neutralizes momentum swings. Analytics cannot measure that.

Not getting the 1st Down and missing out on points affects your Defense's psyche. Analytics cannot measure that.

Getting points affects your opponents psyche and gets them into a time scarcity mindset in a big game. Analytics cannot measure that.

Getting points changes the flow of the game with an ensuing kickoff/touch back and sterile game reset. Analytics cannot measure that.

Points add up and change the analytics variables the next time a decision comes into play. The analytics cannot measure that.

Seriously, analytics are fraudulent. The percentages get worse the more often you "go for it" because more teams are doing them and because of that defenses are no longer caught off guard. Going for it on 4th Down in the 4th quarter when you have no other choice measure the same as going for it on 4th down in the middle of the 3rd quarter when you're up 14. Two different scenarios relying on the same percentage as if human nature doesn't factor in. It annoys me to no end the more and more I see it.
it's not like the loins weren't playing a good team. they were playing a team that was something like a seven point favorite. but they haven't been good at coming from behind. so what you do is keep putting them more behind.

the game sped up for them once the 49ers got the long pass to take advantage of their turning them over on downs. it seemed like they got caught up in the emotion of the game once they had some adversity and it just snowballed from there. the fumble was huge. it didn't take very long to get that game tied up once they didn't re-establish that three possession lead.

it might have happened anyways--but i have my doubts. they had the 49ers off balance--until they weren't.

that's called having a feel for the game/situation coach. i think the bolded parts point to that. re-set the game with your three possession lead and eight less minutes in it.
Do we even know what the analytics said to do on those 4th downs? Did Campbell follow the analytics or do his one hyper-aggressive thing because he likes to bite kneecaps?

Before we hold this against analytics, we ought to be sure that this was indeed the analytic approach.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

It's about a minute in. This dude did this in pretty real time I think.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Gork wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:18 am I've had the enjoyment of 5 NFL titles (first two in B & W) (4 Super Bowls) Seen some unbelievable wins and some heartbreaking defeats. This year was a gravy year right from the start as expectations were in the toilet. Extra biscuits came when the Packers made the "offs" I admit I felt as much joy in the Packers making the post season as I did the Vikings finishing in the circular file. If I die before the Vikings win a title I will be a happy man no matter what happens with the Packers going forward. That New Years Eve performance by the Vikes was pathetic and I'd be embarrassed if I were one of there fans.
I get that, but the Packers got their asses kicked by the Vikings when they had their starting QB but missing their star WR. Why you single out the NYE game as something fans should be embarrassed by is strange.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Gork wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:18 am I've had the enjoyment of 5 NFL titles (first two in B & W) (4 Super Bowls) Seen some unbelievable wins and some heartbreaking defeats. This year was a gravy year right from the start as expectations were in the toilet. Extra biscuits came when the Packers made the "offs" I admit I felt as much joy in the Packers making the post season as I did the Vikings finishing in the circular file. If I die before the Vikings win a title I will be a happy man no matter what happens with the Packers going forward. That New Years Eve performance by the Vikes was pathetic and I'd be embarrassed if I were one of there fans.
Half this post reads like you’re having a stroke.

#BaltimoreStrong
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:39 am
I get that, but the Packers got their asses kicked by the Vikings when they had their starting QB but missing their star WR. Why you single out the NYE game as something fans should be embarrassed by is strange.
The Vikings played 4 QBs this year. Anyone thinking we’re crushed by how this year went is high as a fucking kite.

#BaltimoreStrong
Gork

Post by Gork »

Mandatory wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:50 am
The Vikings played 4 QBs this year. Anyone thinking we’re crushed by how this year went is high as a fucking kite.
Browns played 4 QB's. Made the playoffs. Vikes played 4 QB's tied or the cellar!
There will come a day when Donald Trump is gone, but Calebs' stupidity will remain!

Proud member of the RFP!

Never trust a former president who wears Jim Bakker’s haircut and Tammy Faye’s makeup.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Gork wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:03 pm

Browns played 4 QB's. Made the playoffs. Vikes played 4 QB's tied or the cellar!
I’m very very happy for the Browns.

#BaltimoreStrong
TheLokNesMonster

Post by TheLokNesMonster »

Fans are stupid. They are selfish and self absorbed. They think its all about what their team does and doesn’t do.
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

I have always said if I see Detroit in a Super bowl before the Vikings that will be the day I am done.

I get to watch another year
witljon

Post by witljon »

Mandatory wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:09 pm

I’m very very happy for the Browns.
Yep, way to go Browns. :clap:
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

The only thing more pathetic would be a fan of an opposing team perusing a division rivals message board. Can you imagine how big of a f'n loser they'd have to be!? :roll:
Gork

Post by Gork »

I'm here for the " entertainment "

Proud member of the RFP!

TheLokNesMonster

Post by TheLokNesMonster »

So, no one thinks...even now, that Brock Purdy is worth a squirt of pee. Is is because he looks like the twerpy lech that coerced Rebecca Howe into a life of corporate prostitution?

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Where did the Lions rank on record vs teams above .500 this year?
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Unbiased Observer wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:46 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:25 am
Mandatory wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:16 am Feeling pretty damn great this morning. LOL Lions
Me too. I don’t know why so many folks were rooting for them.

Fuck them.
Because it would be a gut punch to Vikings fans to have the Vikes be the only team left in the NFC North without a Lombardi.
I don’t mind you at all as a Froob, but you are terribly named.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

TheLokNesMonster wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:51 pm So, no one thinks...even now, that Brock Purdy is worth a squirt of pee. Is is because he looks like the twerpy lech that coerced Rebecca Howe into a life of corporate prostitution?

the guy had a historic second half.

49ers' Purdy becomes first NFL QB in 30 years to achieve rare feat

Unbiased Observer

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:38 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:25 am

Me too. I don’t know why so many folks were rooting for them.

Fuck them.
Because it would be a gut punch to Vikings fans to have the Vikes be the only team left in the NFC North without a Lombardi.
:thinking: Is what I said factually untrue?
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Unbiased Observer wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:41 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:38 pm

:thinking: Is what I said factually untrue?
I personally don’t care much, but I think you’re close to the mark.

But my comment is similarly true.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow doesn’t send out messages on social media often, and when he does, it doesn’t always pertain to the NFL at all.

Yet like the rest of football fans on Sunday, Burrow was apparently watching the AFC title game between the Kansas City Chiefs and Baltimore Ravens and had some thoughts to share.

The message was all of just four words, yet it didn’t take long for it to rack up more than 100,000 likes and counting, as it came right after the Ravens were called for a costly taunting penalty at a key moment in the eventual Chiefs victory:

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

NFL playoffs: AFC, NFC title games bring in over 55 million viewers for both CBS, FOX
Two intriguing games delivered lots of eyeballs for CBS and FOX

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-playoffs-a ... 20485.html
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:38 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:22 pm
weimy froob wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:13 pm i set the O/U on lombardi trophies for mahomes at four after his first one. could be three after this year.
Amazing how the GOAT just retired and might not reign as GOAT very long.
i don't know if he'll ever get to seven--but it could be like the tiger/jack debate. jack has more majors--but nobody collected them so many of them so fast as tiger did. he's considered the GOAT by many for his shooting star performance.

same might be said about patrick. nobody's done what he's done at QB at his age.
also look at his three playoff/SB losses. the first one against brady they very well could've won that game. a sure interception was dropped in that game. they didn't have the offensive line for the SB loss--but the loss to the bungles was after they dominated the first half. with a couple of breaks he could be going for his fifth or sixth lombardi trophy this year.
In chase to pass Brady, Mahomes is off to a Tiger-like start
Another Super Bowl win would give Patrick Mahomes a real chance to equal Tom Brady's ring collection, and his trajectory is giving off early Tiger Woods vibes.

Mahomes’ start mirrors another iconic member of GOATs, largely because of how quickly his titles have materialized.

Another GOAT who came out of the gate this fast? Tiger Woods.

https://sports.yahoo.com/as-patrick-mah ... 38053.html

Where it concerns his trajectory out of the gate and the lofty goals left ahead of him, Woods is the best comparison to what Mahomes is showing us. Two men, hotter than the surface of the sun as they began their professional careers, both chasing icons who established a seemingly unimaginable standard for success.