Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Vikings get aggressive in latest Pro Football Network mock draft

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Butch Bradford

Vikings get aggressive in latest Pro Football Network mock draft

Post by Butch Bradford »

Drake Maye over Caleb Williams for the Purple in this mock draft.

Idk. It appears that Chicago is hell bent on drafting Caleb Williams #1 overall, but who really knows?

Fun to speculate.
With Kirk Cousins set to hit free agency and the rumors swirling about him leaving Minnesota, many have begun to think about life after Cousins for the Minnesota Vikings. That’s leading many to believe the Vikings are going to be aggressive in the 2024 NFL Draft to get their QB of the future. The latest in that trend comes from Joe Broback of Pro Football Network.

In his latest mock draft for PFN, Broback has the Vikings being about as aggressive as they can be, moving all the way up to the top spot in the draft to take former North Carolina quarterback Drake Maye. In the move, Broback projects the Vikings giving up picks 11, 42, 126, along with first and second round picks in 2025, in exchange for the #1 pick and a sixth round pick in 2025. Here’s Broback’s full analysis on the selection:
There’s a growing belief that Minnesota wants to move up in this draft, but at what cost? To get Drake Maye or Caleb Williams, the Vikings give up significant draft capital. How much remains to be seen, but it’s likely they’ll need more if they trade with Chicago.

Maye is a great fit in Minnesota’s offense. He has the arm talent to move the ball down the field on all three levels, and that’s a major crux as to why he’s considered a top-two pick. He’ll do well under Kevin O’Connell’s tutelage, but Maye also gives the Vikings an aspect that they didn’t have with Kirk Cousins.

One of the biggest gripes with Cousins was his inability to escape pressure frequently. Maye’s mobility allows this team to breathe more easily, and now the fan base can wait to see how he develops.
On the surface, that seems like a lot to give up to get a quarterback, especially in a class with multiple good options. However, at the end of the day, if you get it right with the quarterback no one cares how much you gave up to get him. Minnesota already has a solid supporting cast in place, if they’ve decided Maye is THE guy, they should be aggressive in getting him.
weimy froob

Re: Vikings get aggressive in latest Pro Football Network mock draft

Post by weimy froob »

is maye the guy?
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:40 pm is maye the guy?
maye be
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i liked the daniels idea--but that's just from some reads here (okay mlhouse liked him--and i like that style of QB).
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

I agree that if you truly feel that one of those top 3 guys are a franchise changer then you give up the farm to get him and never look back....
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

I don't know what's more laughable, that the Bears would trade the top pick to us, or that ANY team would trade 1 to 11 for that package. It's not enough. FFS sakes for the Niners to go from 12 to 3 - ie LESS of a trade up - they gave up three 1st's and a third. Again, it's LESS expensive to go from 12 to 3 than 11 to 1, not because it's less slots moving up (9 vs 10) but because 1 is so much more valuable than 3.

Maybe that package gets them to 3rd but that's about it. My fear is this moron Kwesi may do some bat shit crazy stuff like trade 4 #1s or something to a franchise that will absolutely hold you hostage since you are in the division. Way more likely to be able to do something with Wash.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

hategreenticemase wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:16 pm I don't know what's more laughable, that the Bears would trade the top pick to us, or that ANY team would trade 1 to 11 for that package. It's not enough. FFS sakes for the Niners to go from 12 to 3 - ie LESS of a trade up - they gave up three 1st's and a third. Again, it's LESS expensive to go from 12 to 3 than 11 to 1, not because it's less slots moving up (9 vs 10) but because 1 is so much more valuable than 3.

Maybe that package gets them to 3rd but that's about it. My fear is this moron Kwesi may do some bat shit crazy stuff like trade 4 #1s or something to a franchise that will absolutely hold you hostage since you are in the division. Way more likely to be able to do something with Wash.
To go from 11 to 1 in this draft would cost you the Vikings first and second round picks for the next 3 drafts: 2024, 2025, and 2026 and that might not be enough. Every team in the top 3 wants a QB with perhaps an argument to be made about the Bears (QB wildcard). If the Bears take Harrison to pair with DJ Moore and Fields, then you move to #4. But that would be vicious competiiton from Atlanta and several other teams.

Again, it is pretty clear to me that the VIkings will have to move up just to draft QB4, JJ McCarthy in this draft. The draft will almost certainly go QB - QB - QB. Now the action starts. Along with Harrison there are a couple of WRs that teams will look to take in the top 10. If Chicago stays at 1 to take their QB, Arizona will take Harrison #4 or trade their pick to Atlanta, MN, the Giants, the Jets, maybe the Bears in their second top 10 pick, the Broncos, the Raiders. There are simply too many teams looking for quarterbacks and not enough talent at the top of this draft to make you look at some other positon. In Mel Kiper's mock does he really think we would go with a guy who is a 2nd tier (good) CB talent at 11 over McCarthy? I would rather swing for the fences on a QB here than swing for the fences with a CB who probably busts at the same level as McCarthy

(I think McCarthy's floor is a lot higher than most because of his solid arm strength and mechanics, along with strong athleticism). A good comp to me would be a rich man's Daniel Jones. Maybe not a Lamar Jackson running threat but Jones rushed for over 700 yards in 2022 and I think JJ could put up similar numbers if he was allowed to run the ball. And I think McCarthy is a superior QB. Jones has a similar arm strength, but McCarthy is more accurate.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:13 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:16 pm I don't know what's more laughable, that the Bears would trade the top pick to us, or that ANY team would trade 1 to 11 for that package. It's not enough. FFS sakes for the Niners to go from 12 to 3 - ie LESS of a trade up - they gave up three 1st's and a third. Again, it's LESS expensive to go from 12 to 3 than 11 to 1, not because it's less slots moving up (9 vs 10) but because 1 is so much more valuable than 3.

To go from 11 to 1 in this draft would cost you the Vikings first and second round picks for the next 3 drafts: 2024, 2025, and 2026 and that might not be enough. Every team in the top 3 wants a QB with perhaps an argument to be made about the Bears (QB wildcard). If the Bears take Harrison to pair with DJ Moore and Fields, then you move to #4. But that would be vicious competiiton from Atlanta and several other teams.

Again, it is pretty clear to me that the VIkings will have to move up just to draft QB4, JJ McCarthy in this draft. The draft will almost certainly go QB - QB - QB. Now the action starts. Along with Harrison there are a couple of WRs that teams will look to take in the top 10. If Chicago stays at 1 to take their QB, Arizona will take Harrison #4 or trade their pick to Atlanta, MN, the Giants, the Jets, maybe the Bears in their second top 10 pick, the Broncos, the Raiders. There are simply too many teams looking for quarterbacks and not enough talent at the top of this draft to make you look at some other positon. In Mel Kiper's mock does he really think we would go with a guy who is a 2nd tier (good) CB talent at 11 over McCarthy? I would rather swing for the fences on a QB here than swing for the fences with a CB who probably busts at the same level as McCarthy

(I think McCarthy's floor is a lot higher than most because of his solid arm strength and mechanics, along with strong athleticism). A good comp to me would be a rich man's Daniel Jones. Maybe not a Lamar Jackson running threat but Jones rushed for over 700 yards in 2022 and I think JJ could put up similar numbers if he was allowed to run the ball. And I think McCarthy is a superior QB. Jones has a similar arm strength, but McCarthy is more accurate.
i don't see them going to #1 but what would it take to get to #2? let another team take williams and grab the next QB--and do you think that's still daniels?
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:22 pm

i don't see them going to #1 but what would it take to get to #2? let another team take williams and grab the next QB--and do you think that's still daniels?
Do you think the CommanderSkins have any interest in trading out of the chance to draft a franchise QB? And if they did, they would not want an arm and a leg? Even with an elite receiver prospect like Harrison Jr, do you think that a non-QB will be able to boost the franchise? Sorry, no. Williams-Maye-Daniels are a historic top 3 in my opinion and you don't pass the chance up when you are sitting there. And if you think this is a 1 QB draft, trade up a spot. This is your opportunity to make the move.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:36 pm

Do you think the CommanderSkins have any interest in trading out of the chance to draft a franchise QB? And if they did, they would not want an arm and a leg? Even with an elite receiver prospect like Harrison Jr, do you think that a non-QB will be able to boost the franchise? Sorry, no. Williams-Maye-Daniels are a historic top 3 in my opinion and you don't pass the chance up when you are sitting there. And if you think this is a 1 QB draft, trade up a spot. This is your opportunity to make the move.
it seems that the vikings are thinking of making an offer that another team can't refuse. do you still have daniels as the #1 or #2 QB in the draft?
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:42 pm
mlhouse wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:36 pm

it seems that the vikings are thinking of making an offer that another team can't refuse. do you still have daniels as the #1 or #2 QB in the draft?
I think I have daniels first, but other teams and other evaluators will have different opinions. Williams is considered a cant miss franchise guy for some and is a unique QB. Maye is the prototypical NFL QB with very good mobility. Daniels is that elusive Lamar Jackson guy that can glide for 1000 yards rushing in the NFL and be a threat as a passer.

But I still lean to Chicago taking Williams. Then Washington taking their top QB and New England the remaining guy. If Chicago could move down and still draft Harrison that might make them reconsider the draft-keep Fields debate. But how do you get to that spot? There is ZERO chance Marvin Harrison drops past #5 and there is no reason why Arizona or the Charges would want to trade up.

And I see Marvin Harrison Jr as the only non-QB that any team can consider in the top 3.
R403

Post by R403 »

JJ McCarthy is not going in the first round. I’m not sure what you’re smoking.
hategreenticemase

Yeah it might be that price. Certainly it will be more than what was proposed above in the article.

My fear is our analytics geek, trying to make a splash, does something insane like trading 4 number one draft picks and cripples us.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Wash and NE need a QB. I don’t see them trading out of their spot. If the Bears can’t get a decent return for Fields they might trade the top pick, but I really doubt they do it again.
witljon

Post by witljon »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:53 am

Yeah it might be that price. Certainly it will be more than what was proposed above in the article.

My fear is our analytics geek, trying to make a splash, does something insane like trading 4 number one draft picks and cripples us.
The Hershel Walker trade is viewed as the worst trade in NFL history.Will Kwesi top it?
hategreenticemase

witljon wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:39 am

The Hershel Walker trade is viewed as the worst trade in NFL history.Will Kwesi top it?
It's not toppable. I don't think. Shit, I hope.
witljon

Post by witljon »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:48 am

I think the 49ers gave up three 1st round picks and a 3rd rounder for Trey Lance. The only positive is they didn’t suck, so 2 of the 1st rounders were late round picks.
hategreenticemase

witljon wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:59 am
I think the 49ers gave up three 1st round picks and a 3rd rounder for Trey Lance. The only positive is they didn’t suck, so 2 of the 1st rounders were late round picks.
That is correct and they were going to need those first round picks less than pretty much any team in the league. Not the case here.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

witljon wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:35 am

Wash and NE need a QB. I don’t see them trading out of their spot. If the Bears can’t get a decent return for Fields they might trade the top pick, but I really doubt they do it again.
I could see NE trading out.
They are so depleted across the board, so they'd be wasting their QBs first few years of development.
They could take the trade back haul this year, start building up the infrastructure, and then make the QB decision down the line when they have more ability to support them, and get more out of the rookie contract.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
salamander

Post by salamander »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:36 pm Do you think the CommanderSkins have any interest in trading out of the chance to draft a franchise QB? And if they did, they would not want an arm and a leg? Even with an elite receiver prospect like Harrison Jr, do you think that a non-QB will be able to boost the franchise? Sorry, no. Williams-Maye-Daniels are a historic top 3 in my opinion and you don't pass the chance up when you are sitting there. And if you think this is a 1 QB draft, trade up a spot. This is your opportunity to make the move.
I can see the Commanders looking at Sam Howell and thinking there might be something there. Almost 4000 yards passing in his first season as a starter, above 60% completion percentage, escapability in spades and had a number of incredibly clean deep passes with fantastic touch & velocity. Sure he needs to lower the turnovers but it was his first year. You can't expect greatness during his first year as a starter. There's a really good chance they like him and they say, "Give him the next great WR. Harrison Jr. is our guy".

Terry McLauren & Harrison Jr. would make for a potent offense.

Not saying I approve or that it's happening. Just that I can see a future where this happens.
Last edited by salamander on Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Regarding the Herschel Walker trade, you have to remember that this was pre free agency.
Now that you have the ability to sign players directly right off of the street, it's alot harder to massively lose a trade.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:33 am

Regarding the Herschel Walker trade, you have to remember that this was pre free agency.
Now that you have the ability to sign players directly right off of the street, it's alot harder to massively lose a trade.
When all is said and done, the Russell Wilson trade may end up going down as the worst.
Here's what the Seahawks ended up with...

OT Charles Cross (should be long term starter with future pro bowl potential)
OLB Boye Mafe (almost close to 10 sacks this year)
OLB Tyreke Smith
CB Devon Witherspoon (instant pro bowler)
Edge Derrick Hall
TE Noah Fant
DT Shelby Harris

Yikes.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

witljon wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:59 am
Yep, and our fanbase crusifies Spielman for the Ponder pick (it was really bad), but at least he didn't trade massive draft capital as well. John Lynch trades the farm for a QB that is now a backup, and still has a job. Dude walked into that job drafting high round picks. Great player, overrated as a GM.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:19 am

They are so depleted across the board, so they'd be wasting their QBs first few years of development.
They could take the trade back haul this year, start building up the infrastructure, and then make the QB decision down the line when they have more ability to support them, and get more out of the rookie contract.
I just don’t see the Patriots trading their top pick. You don’t get too many chances to land a franchise QB.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

salamander wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:24 am
mlhouse wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:36 pm Do you think the CommanderSkins have any interest in trading out of the chance to draft a franchise QB? And if they did, they would not want an arm and a leg? Even with an elite receiver prospect like Harrison Jr, do you think that a non-QB will be able to boost the franchise? Sorry, no. Williams-Maye-Daniels are a historic top 3 in my opinion and you don't pass the chance up when you are sitting there. And if you think this is a 1 QB draft, trade up a spot. This is your opportunity to make the move.
I can see the Commanders looking at Sam Howell and thinking there might be something there. Almost 4000 yards passing in his first season as a starter, above 60% completion percentage, escapability in spades and had a number of incredibly clean deep passes with fantastic touch & velocity. Sure he needs to lower the turnovers but it was his first year. You can't expect greatness during his first year as a starter. There's a really good chance they like him and they say, "Give him the next great WR. Harrison Jr. is our guy".

Not saying I approve or that it's happening. Just that I can see a future where this happens.
21 INTS with 3.4% of his passes intercepted. 6.4 yards per attempt. 78.9 QB rating....4-13 record. Sitting at #2 they are not passing on a QB ,

Listen, I hope they do. And there is almsot always at least one completely idiotic pick in the draft.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

witljon wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:23 am
I just don’t see the Patriots trading their top pick. You don’t get too many chances to land a franchise QB.
If you anticipate that you're going to be bad for a long time, then there's actually multiple chances to land your franchise QB.
I think it's more about if they think this year's QB3 is night and day better than the theoretical QB prospect they could be getting in the top 5 in the next few year's drafts.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
witljon

Post by witljon »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:33 am

If you anticipate that you're going to be bad for a long time, then there's actually multiple chances to land your franchise QB.
I think it's more about if they think this year's QB3 is night and day better than the theoretical QB prospect they could be getting in the top 5 in the next few year's drafts.
Nobody anticipates that…..
salamander

Post by salamander »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:28 am
salamander wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:24 am

21 INTS with 3.4% of his passes intercepted. 6.4 yards per attempt. 78.9 QB rating....4-13 record. Sitting at #2 they are not passing on a QB ,

Listen, I hope they do. And there is almsot always at least one completely idiotic pick in the draft.
I'm not saying they're definitely not going to draft a QB. Just that Howell looked pretty good for his first ever year starting.
I've seen dumber decisions made in the NFL.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

witljon wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:35 am

I disagree.
I think self awareness is actually a very important and valuable trait.
It's the teams that are short sighted and impatient that tend to struggle the most.

Objectively, the Patriots have one of the worst rosters in the league. That's just a fact.
They pushed the limit as far as they could, and the floor has finally bottomed out.

But what do they have?

A team that still has some leftover cache from the dynasty run, not to mention the Boston backing. You can still leverage that in free agency when you desire, without having to overpay as much.
A great owner that has high expectations, but is not desperate because he's already won so much.
An owner who is incredibly loyal to people that he likes and respects.
A young HC that the owner obviously loves, because he had the future HC title already assigned in his old contract.

Don't be impatient.
Know that this will take a long time, and build that into your expectation.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
witljon

Post by witljon »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:07 am
witljon wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:35 am

I disagree.
I think self awareness is actually a very important and valuable trait.
It's the teams that are short sighted and impatient that tend to struggle the most.

Objectively, the Patriots have one of the worst rosters in the league. That's just a fact.
They pushed the limit as far as they could, and the floor has finally bottomed out.

But what do they have?

A team that still has some leftover cache from the dynasty run, not to mention the Boston backing. You can still leverage that in free agency when you desire, without having to overpay as much.
A great owner that has high expectations, but is not desperate because he's already won so much.
An owner who is incredibly loyal to people that he likes and respects.
A young HC that the owner obviously loves, because he had the future HC title already assigned in his old contract.

Don't be impatient.
Know that this will take a long time, and build that into your expectation.
You could be absolutely right, but I’m not buying it. I’d be very surprised if the Patriots traded out of their top 3 pick.