Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Gameplay or Story

Video game themed message board
YBBR

Gameplay or Story

Post by YBBR »

You can separate gamers into two distinct categories. People that prefer gameplay. A tight loop and engaging mechanics. Or people that prefer story. Worldbuilding, dialogue, narrative etc... can pull them through an average mechanical game.

Which one are you?
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Re: Gameplay or Story

Post by Mandatory »

As I've gotten older I'm more about the story and visuals. I play most games (outside of sports) on easy or story mode. I respect that there are a ton of great games that just aren't my bag..
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I am mostly about mechanics first. A good gameplay loop just really appeals to me. If it feels good to me to play, and control, that's generally my number one factor in enjoying a game. There are a few exceptions.

I really enjoy roguelikes or roguelites, one of my favorite genres, and those games are almost always mechanics and the rest is secondary.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

Why not both?
I made this!
Unbiased Observer

Post by Unbiased Observer »

Good question. The last game I played was Witcher 3, and now I am playing Elden Ring. Opposite ends of the spectrum. I find myself wanting more story from Elden Ring.
After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Mechanics I haven't really felt since Starfox 64.

I like stories. That's why jRPG's appealed to me so much when I was younger–felt like I was playing as the hero of a book. Nowadays, you build your own story with open-world games. They're fine but I'm getting less appeal out of them.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Unbiased Observer wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:21 am Good question. The last game I played was Witcher 3, and now I am playing Elden Ring. Opposite ends of the spectrum. I find myself wanting more story from Elden Ring.
I was pretty much with you with Elden Ring. There are some very interesting story bits but a lot of it is obfuscated through item descriptions and whatnot. I don't want to give you homework, but take a look at some of the Elden Ring videos people have made deciphering objects and the world and explaining the story through them.
Unbiased Observer

YBBR wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:10 pm
Unbiased Observer wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:21 am Good question. The last game I played was Witcher 3, and now I am playing Elden Ring. Opposite ends of the spectrum. I find myself wanting more story from Elden Ring.
I was pretty much with you with Elden Ring. There are some very interesting story bits but a lot of it is obfuscated through item descriptions and whatnot. I don't want to give you homework, but take a look at some of the Elden Ring videos people have made deciphering objects and the world and explaining the story through them.
I am trying VERY hard to not look up anything online about it yet. I am not perfect. But I want to put in a few months, hopefully finish it, and then go to the internet and do a deep dive to see what I am missing.

I like not having any type of quest log. But damn! Last night I stumbled across Yura in a church in the Altus Plateau, and I had forgotten about him. Trying to follow or do quest lines is so difficult. Which is good. But I take notes.
After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.
Unbiased Observer

The other thing with Elden Ring is that 99% of who you run into wants to kill you. I suppose I have found a dozen merchants, and twenty NPCs. Everything else wants you dead, period.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:09 pm Why not both?
You must choose
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Unbiased Observer wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:16 pm
I am trying VERY hard to not look up anything online about it yet. I am not perfect. But I want to put in a few months, hopefully finish it, and then go to the internet and do a deep dive to see what I am missing.

I like not having any type of quest log. But damn! Last night I stumbled across Yura in a church in the Altus Plateau, and I had forgotten about him. Trying to follow or do quest lines is so difficult. Which is good. But I take notes.
Yeah. That's awesome. Take notes and create your own idea of the story and then see how that relates to the actual story once you finish it. You'll end up like yeah that's cool. I like my story better, though.

I think looking up where NPCs are is fair because they show up in a lot of wild places in this game. It sucks to miss some of those weirdos.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Every time a game takes the control away from me the player, it drives me nuts. I'm sorry, but if you want to make movies, go make movies. I'm here to PLAY the game. I started Horizon Zero Dawn, forbidden west and quit. I thought the player perspective sucked, but what really grinds my gears is the first hour was cut scene, cut scene, and there is no skip button. I recall the same with Jedi Survivor.

I'm sure younger gamers are conditioned for this experience now, but for an older gamer from the NES and on era, it sucks.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

Story but if the gameplay sucks it totally ruins it for me, so it's really both.
I made this!
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Moses Scurry wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:59 am Every time a game takes the control away from me the player, it drives me nuts. I'm sorry, but if you want to make movies, go make movies. I'm here to PLAY the game. I started Horizon Zero Dawn, forbidden west and quit. I thought the player perspective sucked, but what really grinds my gears is the first hour was cut scene, cut scene, and there is no skip button. I recall the same with Jedi Survivor.

I'm sure younger gamers are conditioned for this experience now, but for an older gamer from the NES and on era, it sucks.
The Final Fantasy games on Playstation were awesome but by the time FF X came out it was basically playing a movie. I like playing books, like jRPGs were on SNES.

I remember some nerd at school bragging about how Final Fantasy had like 37 minutes of cut scenes. Ish
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:36 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:59 am Every time a game takes the control away from me the player, it drives me nuts. I'm sorry, but if you want to make movies, go make movies. I'm here to PLAY the game. I started Horizon Zero Dawn, forbidden west and quit. I thought the player perspective sucked, but what really grinds my gears is the first hour was cut scene, cut scene, and there is no skip button. I recall the same with Jedi Survivor.

The Final Fantasy games on Playstation were awesome but by the time FF X came out it was basically playing a movie. I like playing books, like jRPGs were on SNES.

I remember some nerd at school bragging about how Final Fantasy had like 37 minutes of cut scenes. Ish
That is funny, I fired up i think it was FFX just to check it out, and i had control of the character for about 37 seconds in the first hour. I walked a few steps to progress the story and had one fight.
salamander

Post by salamander »

YBBR wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:18 pm You can separate gamers into two distinct categories. People that prefer gameplay. A tight loop and engaging mechanics. Or people that prefer story. Worldbuilding, dialogue, narrative etc... can pull them through an average mechanical game.

Which one are you?
Depends on what you mean? I love Fromsoftware's storytelling but it's based in it's gameplay. They have some of the most epic storylines of any games out there but it's incredibly difficult to uncover. Usually the community has to get together and compare notes and find the story.

If it's a story told through cutscenes most of the time I'm not going to love it unless it's an incredible story. Visuals matter very little to me as long as they're not awful. The biggest example of this is Last of Us 1 & 2.

LoU1 told most of it's story through gameplay.
LoU2 told most of it's story through cutscenes and forced walking scenes.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Once you beat the game and start digging into the story there's a pretty big chance you get obsessed with the storyline. The way these games are put together is kind of incredible. The community pieces it together on their own and there's a whole other side to playing these games that has nothing to do with playing the game. Elden Ring has an absolutely massive and well put together story. It's just not right in front of you.

Once you beat the game, digging into the storyline on youtube is almost just as fun as playing the game.

I spent months just listening to people lay it out for me on youtube while working. Sometimes you fire up the game and go see what they're talking about in game. It's a really interactive and hard to pull off way of laying a game out.
Last edited by salamander on Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Unbiased Observer

salamander wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:53 pm
Once you beat the game and start digging into the story there's a pretty big chance you get obsessed with the storyline. The way these games are put together is kind of incredible. The community pieces it together on their own and there's a whole other side to playing these games that has nothing to do with playing the game. Elden Ring has an absolutely massive and well put together story. It's just not right in front of you.

Once you beat the game, digging into the storyline on youtube is almost just as fun as playing the game.
I just got into the part of Leyndell that looks like the Roundtable Hold. Makes me wonder what the story is. Or the backstory to the two guys I killed there as part of the Volcano Manor questline.

I have heard there is a big community for the storyline. I am still holding out so as not to spoil anything accidentally. I just got past Leyndell into the Mountaintop of the Giants. I did not do the sewers yet beneath Leyndell. Or Deeproot Depths. Or whatever else I am forgetting.

There are people you meet, and I still have no idea how to advance the quest line. Like Haight. I cleaned out his castle, but that was a month ago.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Unbiased Observer wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:58 pm

I just got into the part of Leyndell that looks like the Roundtable Hold. Makes me wonder what the story is. Or the backstory to the two guys I killed there as part of the Volcano Manor questline.

I have heard there is a big community for the storyline. I am still holding out so as not to spoil anything accidentally. I just got past Leyndell into the Mountaintop of the Giants. I did not do the sewers yet beneath Leyndell. Or Deeproot Depths. Or whatever else I am forgetting.

There are people you meet, and I still have no idea how to advance the quest line. Like Haight. I cleaned out his castle, but that was a month ago.
Totally. Get a full playthrough under your belt before you do anything. It'll really help in the long run. I will say to maybe pay attention to item descriptions.

Have you gone under Stormveil Castle yet?
Unbiased Observer

salamander wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:06 pm

Totally. Get a full playthrough under your belt before you do anything. It'll really help in the long run. I will say to maybe pay attention to item descriptions.
I noticed that. Also noticed after a couple weeks that you really need to pay attention to every bit of stuff the merchants sell, like the little notes. I am doing astrologer, and had no idea for two weeks that Sellen existed. :lol: It was right in a note from the merchant.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Unbiased Observer wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:09 pm
salamander wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:06 pm

I noticed that. Also noticed after a couple weeks that you really need to pay attention to every bit of stuff the merchants sell, like the little notes. I am doing astrologer, and had no idea for two weeks that Sellen existed. :lol: It was right in a note from the merchant.
:lol: I completely missed that on my first playthrough entirely.