Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Vinyl

Music forum.
jffl_commish

Vinyl

Post by jffl_commish »

Anyone play records? They're all the rage, again. How's the sound on them these days?
Let's get Tropical
SHAFA

Re: Vinyl

Post by SHAFA »

I've got a dozen or so. I could use some better speakers though.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Couple good threads on vinyl records already for you to peruse:

viewtopic.php?t=5821&hilit=vinyl

viewtopic.php?t=39586&hilit=vinyl
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Abe Froman »

Best way to listen.

I like the sound better, but even more I like listening to the entire album again. Feels like so much is missed when you don't.
I made this!
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:48 pm Best way to listen.

I like the sound better, but even more I like listening to the entire album again. Feels like so much is missed when you don't.
Some albums are just so much better start to finish. There are obvious ones like “Dark Side of the Moon” and such, but even albums like “Back in Black,” which is just a collection of banger singles, sounds better in totality. There’s a good flow to a well put-together album with the right song sequencing. Even outside of concept albums where the sequencing is important to a narrative, a good album has pace and dynamics.

On “Back in Black” for example, “Rock n Roll Ain’t Noise Pollution,” is so much more satisfying at the end of that album than if it pops on on a random Spotify playlist or something. Just a great way to close that experience.

- Isaac Asimov
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Thanks fellas. I'm going to look into getting one, then starting up the collection. Not sure what I'll get yet for a player/speaker setup though
Let's get Tropical
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Abe Froman »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:23 pm

Some albums are just so much better start to finish. There are obvious ones like “Dark Side of the Moon” and such, but even albums like “Back in Black,” which is just a collection of banger singles, sounds better in totality. There’s a good flow to a well put-together album with the right song sequencing. Even outside of concept albums where the sequencing is important to a narrative, a good album has pace and dynamics.

On “Back in Black” for example, “Rock n Roll Ain’t Noise Pollution,” is so much more satisfying at the end of that album than if it pops on on a random Spotify playlist or something. Just a great way to close that experience.
Honestly, they all are. Everyone should have to suffer through 20 mins of shit to earn their ear worm.
I made this!
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

jffl_commish wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:15 pm Thanks fellas. I'm going to look into getting one, then starting up the collection. Not sure what I'll get yet for a player/speaker setup though
I highly suggest going to Mill City Sound in Hopkins when you start doing your record shopping.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

So when I went back to vinyl, I had sold all my old gear due to a move so I went with the below. (I miss my vintage Marantz receiver so much.)

If you're not looking to spend a bazillion dollars on stuff, the Rega P1 is one of the top entry level turntables.
https://www.rega.co.uk/products/planar-1

If you have an existing receiver with no phono, this is one of the absolute best at this price point.
https://www.schiit.com/products/mani

I wanted old school floor standing speakers, did a bunch of research and these apparently were designed for pioneer by some speaker guru. Not made any more but you might be able to find them.
www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-FS52-Designed ... B008NCD2S4
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

I like listening to records.

But then again, one reason why full albums went out of style is that even on some of the greatest albums of all time, more than half the songs are shit. Consumers much prefer to pay $1.29 for a single song download of the best song on the album than $29,99 for a bunch of music they don't like.

One thing I dislike about listening to a record on the modern turntable is the side finishes so fast. Put Dark Side on and 20 minutes later you need to get up and change the album. I know we have to be cool in the modern world and have a "turntable" so we don't have the little album dropper that you can load 5-6 records and play them sequenstially.

I also think audiophiles deceive themselves about sound quality, and pay enormous amounts of money to improve the sound quality in minute increments. I just picture Buck Swope selling double the bass on the TK-421 system in Boogie Nights.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:31 am

But then again, one reason why full albums went out of style is that even on some of the greatest albums of all time, more than half the songs are shit. Consumers much prefer to pay $1.29 for a single song download of the best song on the album than $29,99 for a bunch of music they don't like.

One thing I dislike about listening to a record on the modern turntable is the side finishes so fast. Put Dark Side on and 20 minutes later you need to get up and change the album. I know we have to be cool in the modern world and have a "turntable" so we don't have the little album dropper that you can load 5-6 records and play them sequenstially.

I also think audiophiles deceive themselves about sound quality, and pay enormous amounts of money to improve the sound quality in minute increments. I just picture Buck Swope selling double the bass on the TK-421 system in Boogie Nights.
I understand that. And I love digital music. To think I have functionally unlimited music available in a smaller device than a Sony Walkman in 1985 is amazing. I’d never give up that freedom and access. And the sound is fine. Audiophile snobs are just that: snobs, in my opinion.

But listening to an album is a different experience than listening to digital music. I like that experience and am willing to pay for it. If others don’t, that’s fine.

My personal experience is that often what I first felt was the best song when I bought the album is surpassed by another song after repeated listens. And that wouldn’t happen if I just paid $1.29 for the single download.

- Isaac Asimov
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:39 pm
mlhouse wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:31 am

I understand that. And I love digital music. To think I have functionally unlimited music available in a smaller device than a Sony Walkman in 1985 is amazing. I’d never give up that freedom and access. And the sound is fine. Audiophile snobs are just that: snobs, in my opinion.

But listening to an album is a different experience than listening to digital music. I like that experience and am willing to pay for it. If others don’t, that’s fine.

My personal experience is that often what I first felt was the best song when I bought the album is surpassed by another song after repeated listens. And that wouldn’t happen if I just paid $1.29 for the single download.
I get that. I think it is fun to listen to the songs in the way the artists wanted them listened to and that is Side A and B of the album.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Listening to records is an event and state of mind. Not something I do while doing other things. It IS what I'm doing.

As far as half the songs are junk on most albums, those aren't the ones I buy. I'm not buying something with a hit on it.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:06 pm Listening to records is an event and state of mind. Not something I do while doing other things. It IS what I'm doing.

As far as half the songs are junk on most albums, those aren't the ones I buy. I'm not buying something with a hit on it.
The Cuervo Gold
The fine Colombian
Make tonight a wonderful thing

or something along those lines?
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:17 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:06 pm Listening to records is an event and state of mind. Not something I do while doing other things. It IS what I'm doing.

The Cuervo Gold
The fine Colombian
Make tonight a wonderful thing

or something along those lines?
I had to look up those lyrics. I'm not a great steely Dan mind. :mrgreen:

...but yes.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Yeah - To me it feels like a meditation session. Really clears my head.