Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

ESPN Coaching Predicitons

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
mlhouse

ESPN Coaching Predicitons

Post by mlhouse »

I sawr an article on ESPN today predicting how the NFL teams with open coaching positions would fill the vacancy.

Brian Flores' name was not mentioned once. I think what has pushed Brian down the ladder is that there are three wild card retreads that are highly probable names for positions: Belichick, Jim Harbaugh, and Mike Vrabel right after being fired in TN. Vrabel would surprise me but there is a rumor out there that the Seahawks move of firing Carroll was related to the Titans firing Vrabel: his sudden availability was the final straw for Pete.

The names that they have outside of those three are: Lions OC Ben Johnson, Bengals OC Brian Callahan, Panthers DC Ejiro Evero, Ravens DC Mike Macdonald, Ravens DL coach Anthony Weaver, 49ers DC Steve Wilks, Lions DC Aaron Glenn, Raiders interim coach Antonio Pierce, Carolina interim Chris Taber, Ravens OC Todd Monken, Buccaneers OC Dave Canales, Rams DC Raheem Morris, Cowboys DC Dan Quinn, Texans OC Bobby Slowik, Dolphins OC Frank Smith, Bills DC Leslie Frazier, Chargers interim head coach Giff Smith, Chargers OC Kellen Moore, Giants OC Mike Kafka, Eagles OC Brian Johnson.

These guys are listed as "known candidates" for the 7 current NFL head coaching vacancies. The names I highlighted are the 4 most likely guys to get promoted.
weimy froob

Re: ESPN Coaching Predicitons

Post by weimy froob »

flores has baggage and that probably has something to do with it too. we'll see how it all shakes out.

Fitzpatrick blames Flores for 'breaking' Tua
Former Dolphins quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick claims his former coach's abusive ways 'broke' Tua Tagovailoa

There’s a fine line between abuse and coaching, and more than enough evidence is beginning to stack up that Brian Flores' style did more harm than good during his tenure as head coach of the Miami Dolphins.

Tua Tagovailoa has openly discussed how damaged his confidence was as a result of Flores’ treatment. The Dolphins' starting quarterback often refers to Flores, who coached Miami to a 24-25 in his three seasons before being fired after the 2021 season, without saying his name.

Just this week Tagovailoa addressed the transformation starting right tackle Austin Jackson has had this season, and praised him for overcoming the harsh criticism he received from Flores and his staff.

FITZPATRICK'S STRONG COMMENTS
During Prime Video’s “Thursday Night Football” pregame show, former Dolphins quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, who played with and mentored Tagovailoa during his rookie season, made an eye-opening analysis of the Flores and Tagovailoa relationship.

While discussing the regression of New England Patriots quarterback Mac Jones, and whether the Patriots' benched 2021 first-round pick has been “broken,” he compared Jones’ situation to that of Tagovailoa.

“Tua Tagovailoa, who I was with, Brian Flores — same New England way — he was broken (from) Brian Flores the way he treated him, the way that he coached him,” Fitzpatrick said. “And what happens? Mike McDaniel comes in. He restores his confidence. He gets it back, and now he’s an MVP candidate.”

While Tagovailoa hasn’t said much about Flores since his firing, he has spoken about how the arrival of McDaniel and his staff helped instill confidence in himself and allowed him to be himself as he leads the team.

Tagovailoa choked up Thursday when speaking about right tackle Austin Jackson’s contract extension and said that there were things that were said about Jackson by the previous coaching staff “that you know aren’t true but they get planted in your head.”

“And then you have someone like Mike and his coaching staff come in and basically build you back up,” Tagovailoa said. “And it’s not just Austin. It’s really everyone that’s been here for some time and [to] kind of give you that renewed confidence in yourself to just go out there and play the way you’ve played.”
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I’m pretty confident Flores stays. The NFL is a flavor of the moment league and Flores is old news.

If he does turn the Vikes into a top D, he’ll get another sniff eventually.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

I've been saying the same thing all season. Flores isn't getting a head coaching job anywhere in the next year. People forget too quickly how all these owners stick together. Guy has a pending lawsuit against an owner. Noone wants to deal with that stink.

He needs time to pass by then he needs to get this defense to elite and I'm possibly could have another opportunity. Honestly might take more than even one more year.
hategreenticemase

mlhouse wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:07 pm I sawr an article on ESPN today predicting how the NFL teams with open coaching positions would fill the vacancy.

Brian Flores' name was not mentioned once. I think what has pushed Brian down the ladder is that there are three wild card retreads that are highly probable names for positions: Belichick, Jim Harbaugh, and Mike Vrabel right after being fired in TN. Vrabel would surprise me but there is a rumor out there that the Seahawks move of firing Carroll was related to the Titans firing Vrabel: his sudden availability was the final straw for Pete.

The names that they have outside of those three are: Lions OC Ben Johnson, Bengals OC Brian Callahan, Panthers DC Ejiro Evero, Ravens DC Mike Macdonald, Ravens DL coach Anthony Weaver, 49ers DC Steve Wilks, Lions DC Aaron Glenn, Raiders interim coach Antonio Pierce, Carolina interim Chris Taber, Ravens OC Todd Monken, Buccaneers OC Dave Canales, Rams DC Raheem Morris, Cowboys DC Dan Quinn, Texans OC Bobby Slowik, Dolphins OC Frank Smith, Bills DC Leslie Frazier, Chargers interim head coach Giff Smith, Chargers OC Kellen Moore, Giants OC Mike Kafka, Eagles OC Brian Johnson.

These guys are listed as "known candidates" for the 7 current NFL head coaching vacancies. The names I highlighted are the 4 most likely guys to get promoted.
Aaron Glenn? Who the fuck is hiring the DC of a team that's defense has sucked for the last couple years and currently allowed the 23rd most points in the NFL and had the 27th worst yards per play avg? That's absurd, He should be more worried about not being fired than finding a head coaching job. :lol:
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

I do think there's something to the Flores lawsuit, but the Tua comments are the nail in the coffin for him, at least this year.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:41 am I do think there's something to the Flores lawsuit, but the Tua comments are the nail in the coffin for him, at least this year.
"abusive" isn't the word you're looking for when you're hiring your HC in today's NFL.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:50 am
Oriole81 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:41 am I do think there's something to the Flores lawsuit, but the Tua comments are the nail in the coffin for him, at least this year.
"abusive" isn't the word you're looking for when you're hiring your HC in today's NFL.
One reason why I think head coaches from the defensive side of football are not the best choices.
hategreenticemase

Baloney. Suing an owner was, is, and will continue to be the nail til enough time has passed.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Oakland Raiders removed interim label for Antonio Pierce, so another head coaching vacancy filled.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Chicago Bears hire OC weeks after his head coach was fired
© Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

There are two NFL fanbases excited about the Chicago Bears offensive coordinator hiring Monday morning–the Bears and Seattle Seahawks.

The Chicago Bears go with a safe-on-paper choice
The Bears made a bland but safe choice to hire Shane Waldron as Luke Getsy’s replacement. Waldron comes from the Sean McVay coaching tree. He has three years of experience as an NFL offensive coordinator–with the Seahawks. He received praise in NFL circles for quarterback Geno Smith’s resurgence in 2022.

As Mark Potash with the Chicago Sun-Times points out, Waldron looks like an upgrade from Getsy on paper.
But how big of an upgrade is Waldron?

The Bears actually averaged more yards per game (323.2) than the Seahawks (322.9) did this season. The Bears averaged 21.2 points per game in 2023 compared to 21.4 for the Seahawks. The Seahawks’ offensive regression in 2023 was so bad fans and pundits were calling for Waldron’s head from November to January.

Shane Waldron was one of the reasons Pete Carroll got canned
Then head coach Pete Carroll called out Waldron following the Seahawks’ 31-13 loss on Nov. 13th to the San Francisco 49ers. The Seahawks offense performed terribly against good teams this season. They failed to score 20 points in any of their four games against the Los Angeles Rams and 49ers. They scored three points against the Baltimore Ravens and 13 against the Cincinnati Bengals.

It’s incredible what a fantastic 2022 season bought Waldron in terms of credibility for the Bears to hire him as an offensive coordinator. Because the Seahawks’ offensive struggles this season were a significant reason why Carroll was fired at the end of the season.

Reader beware, this is a Matt Eberflus’ hire
Waldron will head to Chicago after a season. Most Bears fans thought Eberflus should be fired. Waldron isn’t a sexy hire for the Eberflus staff, but he’s precisely the type of offensive coordinator one would expect the Bears to hire when they decided to retain Eberflus.

The Seahawks’ trash has become the Bears’ treasure.

The Bears will ask Waldron to revive Justin Fields’ career or develop a rookie quarterback. That’s an incredible task for an offensive coordinator getting the boot from Seattle.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Waldron will head to Chicago after a season. Most Bears fans thought Eberflus should be fired.

i'd guess those seats are going to be hot from the get-go.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Brian Callahan to Tennessee is the rumor.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Flores will not be a HC until his legal stuff with the NFL is done. No team wants a HC who's time is being pulled away from the team over legal issues.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Schefter says Harbaugh to Chargers is official.
Main page on ESPN
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

Harbaugh should have been the Viking's coach two seasons ago but the Vikings got scared by someone who was at SF
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:07 pm Schefter says Harbaugh to Chargers is official.
Main page on ESPN
Just read that. Feels like we missed out. He was giving Minnesota a chance and the Wilf’s must not have thought he kissed the ring enough. O’Connell is young and positive.

Nice guys don’t usually win championships. Harbough left Minnesota and won the top prize in college football and we watched Cousins throw short in round one of the playoffs as we exited. This year we were talking about tanking.

I don’t know. It just feels like we are always the bridesmaid. Even when things fall right into our laps.

Wouldn’t it be funny if we drafted McCarthy now?
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

I hope not
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Rumor has it he wanted assurances from Michigan for immunity and they wouldn't give him any.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Tampa OC Dave Canales to be hired as the Panthers coach.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Nightfly

Post by Nightfly »

So, is that it for Belichick?
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Nightfly wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:49 pm So, is that it for Belichick?
More importantly is that it for Cousins moving elsewhere?
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Slap Shot wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:23 pm
More importantly is that it for Cousins moving elsewhere?
I could still see Atl being an option, but it’s just a different pitch.
The offensive weapons are still the same, and they still have the same cap space.

But Morris is supposed to be pretty engaging, so if they could get Cousins in a room, I could see him selling a vision where they work together to quickly get over the hump.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

cunningham wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:43 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:07 pm Schefter says Harbaugh to Chargers is official.
Main page on ESPN
Just read that. Feels like we missed out. He was giving Minnesota a chance and the Wilf’s must not have thought he kissed the ring enough. O’Connell is young and positive.

Nice guys don’t usually win championships. Harbough left Minnesota and won the top prize in college football and we watched Cousins throw short in round one of the playoffs as we exited. This year we were talking about tanking.

I don’t know. It just feels like we are always the bridesmaid. Even when things fall right into our laps.

Wouldn’t it be funny if we drafted McCarthy now?
Is Andy Reid a nice guy?
witljon

Post by witljon »

There’s only 2 head coaching jobs left…
witljon

Post by witljon »

1. Falcons Raheem Mooris
2. Chargers Jim Harbaugh
3. Panthers Dave Canels
4. Patriots Jarod Mayo
5. Raiders Antonio Pierce
6. Titans Brian Callahan
7. Redskins
8. Seahawks

Didn’t teams use to wait until after the Super Bowl
to hire their new coach?
mnbob70

Post by mnbob70 »

witljon wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:46 am 1. Falcons Raheem Mooris
2. Chargers Jim Harbaugh
3. Panthers Dave Canels
4. Patriots Jarod Mayo
5. Raiders Antonio Pierce
6. Titans Brian Callahan
7. Redskins
8. Seahawks

Didn’t teams use to wait until after the Super Bowl
to hire their new coach?
Only if they are interested in a coordinator from one of the teams playing.