Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

KOC And Kwesi -- "not joined at the hip"

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Nightfly

KOC And Kwesi -- "not joined at the hip"

Post by Nightfly »

Per Doogie on Mackey & Judd yesterday, Kevin O'Connell's agent has a great relationship with the Vikes, and it wouldn't be surprising if the coach gets an extension while the GM gets to the last year of his initial deal without one.

Also, apparently Kwesi is impressive in social settings, with a great vocabulary. :roll: Explains how he bamboozled the Wilfs, when no other team was interested. :?
BBG

Re: KOC And Kwesi -- "not joined at the hip"

Post by BBG »

Thanks, Declan.

I'll check it out
Phil Leotardo

Post by Phil Leotardo »

''Scoops'' with Doogie is most often ''Stating the obvious'' with Doogie. Or sometimes ''Idle speculation, and a scoop or two about where some local HS senior might decide to play'' with Doogie.
That's right cocksucker! Go back to New Jersey!
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Kwesi probably deserves to be fired right now. Dudes clueless
Nightfly

Post by Nightfly »

Phil Leotardo wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:50 pm ''Scoops'' with Doogie is most often ''Stating the obvious'' with Doogie. Or sometimes ''Idle speculation, and a scoop or two about where some local HS senior might decide to play'' with Doogie.
Or a lot of name dropping. Kind of annoying, but sometimes he provides useful tidbits.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Not really a fan of this.

Let's say it comes to fruition and O'Connell stays and Kwesi goes. Then what? Do you give O'Connell say in who the next GM is? If so, are you putting him above the GM in the power structure? If not, then a new GM is coming in who is not an O'Connell guy and Kevin might be a dead man walking. Sets up a weird dynamic either way.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:52 pm Not really a fan of this.

Let's say it comes to fruition and O'Connell stays and Kwesi goes. Then what? Do you give O'Connell say in who the next GM is? If so, are you putting him above the GM in the power structure? If not, then a new GM is coming in who is not an O'Connell guy and Kevin might be a dead man walking. Sets up a weird dynamic either way.
What else do you do if you realize you have an unqualified incompetent GM who needs to be fired, but at the same time like your coach enough to give him an extension? Maybe job hierarchy doesn't have to be structured so perpetually when constructing a team. Innovated paths sometimes leads organizations/people to better results. If they like O'Connell enough, I have no problem with retaining the coach solely for the next GM, and letting the fraud go asap.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Tuck ya in wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:40 am

What else do you do if you realize you have an unqualified incompetent GM who needs to be fired, but at the same time like your coach enough to give him an extension? Maybe job hierarchy doesn't have to be structured so perpetually when constructing a team. Innovated paths sometimes leads organizations/people to better results. If they like O'Connell enough, I have no problem with retaining the coach solely for the next GM, and letting the fraud go asap.
I don’t have a problem with it. I think it would be weird and the pitfalls I identified would probably mean it wouldn’t work long-term. But whatever. I definitely agree that if you don’t like Kwesi, you don’t keep him because you like O’Connell. I just think there will be a sense of dead man walking with O’Connell around the team. And that’s bad.

Unless you filter your search for guys who are O’Connell guys, in which case you limit your search options. Or you say, “I like O’Connell and we’re keeping him,” in which car you’re immediately undercutting your new GM.

I think, if you move on from Kwesi, you hire the best guy and let him decide on O’Connell. Keep or stay, it’s up to the new guy.

- Isaac Asimov
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:45 am

I don’t have a problem with it. I think it would be weird and the pitfalls I identified would probably mean it wouldn’t work long-term. But whatever. I definitely agree that if you don’t like Kwesi, you don’t keep him because you like O’Connell. I just think there will be a sense of dead man walking with O’Connell around the team. And that’s bad.

Unless you filter your search for guys who are O’Connell guys, in which case you limit your search options. Or you say, “I like O’Connell and we’re keeping him,” in which car you’re immediately undercutting your new GM.

I think, if you move on from Kwesi, you hire the best guy and let him decide on O’Connell. Keep or stay, it’s up to the new guy.
If these reports are true, I think we are headed for some controversial personnel decisions. My massive speculation is the Wilfs want to move on from Kirk and Kwesi is too afraid to fire his shot at QB in the draft. Or vise versa. Kwesi wants to fire his shot and the Wilfs want Kirko back.
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

Well, if the coach is doing his job and is the right guy, any competent GM won't come in and dump him. Atleast not right away.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Tmoney wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:42 am Well, if the coach is doing his job and is the right guy, any competent GM won't come in and dump him. Atleast not right away.
This… they usually keep them around until they falter and then dump them quickly.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:00 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:45 am

If these reports are true, I think we are headed for some controversial personnel decisions. My massive speculation is the Wilfs want to move on from Kirk and Kwesi is too afraid to fire his shot at QB in the draft. Or vise versa. Kwesi wants to fire his shot and the Wilfs want Kirko back.
Maybe. Kwesi doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy who is afraid to do bold things, but I don’t really know.

It seems to me that there have been a lot of signs that they want to move on from Kirk. But Kirk’s good play and they failure of any backup are a strong counter argument to that. But the counter-counter is his age and Achilles.

Personally, I’d be shocked if they didn’t make a move for a legit young QB prospect. But we’ll find out in about 3 months.

- Isaac Asimov
salamander

Post by salamander »

Kwesi always seemed like he'd go into the Wilfs other areas of business pretty quickly. He's not an NFL guy but by all accounts he's a good businessman. I always kind of thought, this was just a step in a path to work for the Wilfs in other ventures.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Post by Da Gas Man's Ghost »

It's the classic issue of a GM should be able to pick his coach. So what would happen is that the GM would be forced to give KOC a year.
Pronouns: They/him/hers

Hopeful Member of the Crique.
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

It all starts with the draft.

We have been deficient there and outside of JJ, Hunter, Darrisaw and maybe Addison..the Vikings have very few studs to show for it the last 10 years.

The Vikings lost 4 straight to end the year. Only San Diego was as bad or worse and had 5 straight losses.
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

Good - Kwesi has been questionable at best.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:39 am
Tmoney wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:42 am Well, if the coach is doing his job and is the right guy, any competent GM won't come in and dump him. Atleast not right away.
This… they usually keep them around until they falter and then dump them quickly.
It does set up a convenient scape goat situation tho. They could blame coaching when personnel might still be the big issue. Then you are stuck yet another round with his incompetence and you just lost a good coach
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

minnemike wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:24 am
Small Hands wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:39 am
It does set up a convenient scape goat situation tho. They could blame coaching when personnel might still be the big issue. Then you are stuck yet another round with his incompetence and you just lost a good coach
Kwesi absolutely deserves to be on the hot seat with the construct of this team. KOC will be on the hot seat with another failed season next year. If Kwesi botches this draft in any way, he should be shown the door imo.
witljon

Post by witljon »

salamander wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:51 am Kwesi always seemed like he'd go into the Wilfs other areas of business pretty quickly. He's not an NFL guy but by all accounts he's a good businessman. I always kind of thought, this was just a step in a path to work for the Wilfs in other ventures.
Well, I know I’m ready for Kwesi to take the next step.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

witljon wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:48 pm
salamander wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:51 am Kwesi always seemed like he'd go into the Wilfs other areas of business pretty quickly. He's not an NFL guy but by all accounts he's a good businessman. I always kind of thought, this was just a step in a path to work for the Wilfs in other ventures.
Me too. Right out the door. 👍
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:15 pm
witljon wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:48 pm
Me too. Right out the door. 👍
:lol:
medicineball

Post by medicineball »

Fire them KOC and KAM and hire Bill Belichick. Give him complete control of football operations.

Put in place multiple assistant coaches who can rise to the role of successors when he retires. Pay them all well. Find out who rises to the top.

Win, Vikings, win.
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Abe Froman »

Maybe he can teach Lewis Cine to talk the offense into not making him look like a shitty football player.
I made this!
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

You know, this is not really close to a typical "pulling a Salamander", but I gotta be honest, I think it indeed does qualify as such. How on earth does anyone come up with "Kwesi took a job as an NFL GM (you know, most peoples dream job) but was always a stepping stone to work for Wilfs in other adventures".

Yeah, actually, now I am sure of it typing it out - that's definitely a Salamander. :lol:
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:23 pm
You know, this is not really close to a typical "pulling a Salamander", but I gotta be honest, I think it indeed does qualify as such. How on earth does anyone come up with "Kwesi took a job as an NFL GM (you know, most peoples dream job) but was always a stepping stone to work for Wilfs in other adventures".

Yeah, actually, now I am sure of it typing it out - that's definitely a Salamander. :lol:
Definitely a head scratcher. 🤷‍♂️
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Hamilton and Williams looked good today helping their teams in the conference championship games. Street-clothes Cine is big chilliin' on the sidelines watching. Not his fault KAM traded back to a divisional rival, but still hasn't even seen the field much to speak of.

Meanwhile the two divisional teams he traded to in that draft have a strong core of young players and the Vikings have some big contracts to pay for young players but little depth around them.

I'd still rather have Harbaugh than KOC but he looks a lot more competent than KAM.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Man, I really must have pissed you off. I'm beginning to see why so many people thought so little of you. I thought they were just kind of bullying you for a long time and didn't really understand. I get it now. You're just kind of a sad, vindictive person. It's getting weird now dude.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

If Doogie said it, then the opposite is true.
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

salamander wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:23 am

Man, I really must have pissed you off. I'm beginning to see why so many people thought so little of you. I thought they were just kind of bullying you for a long time and didn't really understand. I get it now. You're just kind of a sad, vindictive person. It's getting weird now dude.
Hi Sally. You have never pissed me off. Every time you play your silly little game of "oh golly, you are really mad" I will reply with that. So you can grow up and stop that foolishness or you can keep doing it, your call.

Sally, I love you. You entertain the shit out of me. There is literally no other rube who can possibly dream up "I always thought Kwesi took this job as a stepping stone to work for Wilfs in other ventures". It's an instant classic. It's preposterous statement nominee worthy. No one here comes up with more stuff like that than you, it's even got its own name (pulling a salamander). :lol:

Have a great day.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:38 pm Hamilton and Williams looked good today helping their teams in the conference championship games. Street-clothes Cine is big chilliin' on the sidelines watching. Not his fault KAM traded back to a divisional rival, but still hasn't even seen the field much to speak of.

Meanwhile the two divisional teams he traded to in that draft have a strong core of young players and the Vikings have some big contracts to pay for young players but little depth around them.

I'd still rather have Harbaugh than KOC but he looks a lot more competent than KAM.
I think it is an issue to blame Cine. It isn't as if he didnt suffer a major injury early in his rookie season. HE was drafted where he should have been drafted: late first to early-mid second. The problem of course was the terrible trde they made, not even getting close to the value of the pick and the more obvious better outcomes that could have happened. It doesn't help that he missed on the 2nd round pick too, there is a lot of possibility he missed on the 3rd round pick too, and using an 2nd on Ingram looks a bit spendy although he may have at least leveled his performance.