Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Build a team

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
cdr2529

Build a team

Post by cdr2529 »

With a young franchise QB! Look at Green Bay, Houston Texas, Philadelphia Eagles, and even Miami Dolphins all have young QB with a future and the Vikings have some building blocks but they got an old QB with a bad injury
salamander

Re: Build a team

Post by salamander »

cdr2529 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:38 pm With a young franchise QB! Look at Green Bay, Houston Texas, Philadelphia Eagles, and even Miami Dolphins all have young QB with a future and the Vikings have some building blocks but they got an old QB with a bad injury
We need to start building our lines. This team will never go anywhere if we're weak in the trenches.
Get some big heavies and dominate the LOS of offense and defense.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

salamander wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:39 am
cdr2529 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:38 pm With a young franchise QB! Look at Green Bay, Houston Texas, Philadelphia Eagles, and even Miami Dolphins all have young QB with a future and the Vikings have some building blocks but they got an old QB with a bad injury
We need to start building our lines. This team will never go anywhere if we're weak in the trenches.
We need 3 guys. A center, a NT, and one DE (Philips is fine at the other).

It’s doable.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Sportsrgreat

Post by Sportsrgreat »

Paging Kwesi…
salamander

Post by salamander »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:48 am
salamander wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:39 am
We need 3 guys. A center, a NT, and one DE (Philips is fine at the other).

It’s doable.
It's definitely doable. Just need to commit to it.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

I would take Stroud over any of those guys. I wanted the Vikings to trade up for him.. but oh well. I also liked Richardson, but wanted Stroud.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Bunker Inspector

Post by Bunker Inspector »

Gotta find a way to get Penix in this draft

You get so emotional baby

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Bunker Inspector wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:30 pm Gotta find a way to get Penix in this draft
Just draft him. He should be there at 11, I would think.

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Mandatory wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:25 pm
I would take Stroud over any of those guys. I wanted the Vikings to trade up for him.. but oh well. I also liked Richardson, but wanted Stroud.
I took Stroud #1 overall for Carolina in the Froob draft last year.

My opinion should be respected!

- Isaac Asimov
Bunker Inspector

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:58 pm
Bunker Inspector wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:30 pm Gotta find a way to get Penix in this draft
Yeah, he might be. But maybe not, who knows?

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
salamander

Post by salamander »

If Daniels falls to us in the 1st, I will be absolutely ecstatic.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

salamander wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:50 pm If Daniels falls to us in the 1st, I will be absolutely ecstatic.
Urgently, I have it as such:

I would be ecstatic with Williams, Maye, or Daniels. Most likely, we’d have to trade up significantly to get any of them. But if the Vikings feel strongly enough to go get one of them and can find a dance parter, I’m all for it.

I’d be fine with McCarthy or Penix at 11. Maybe a small trade up to make sure you get them, but I don’t think I’m mortgaging the future to get either of them.

The next tier is pretty much Bo Nix, imho. He’s a guy I don’t like at 11, but would be cool with in the 2nd round or with a small trade up to the back of round 1. With Ewers going back to Texas, there really isn’t another guy on this tier, imho.

I’m of the opinion that the Vikings absolutely need to come out of this draft with one of those 6 quarterbacks. It’s an unserious, Mickey Mouse operation if they don’t.

- Isaac Asimov
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

What a brilliant thought: select a top QB in the draft without missing and have him pro ready from the get go.
Bunker Inspector

I have no interest in JJ McCarthy

I don't think he'll ever become much of a pro passer

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
salamander

Post by salamander »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:03 pm
salamander wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:50 pm If Daniels falls to us in the 1st, I will be absolutely ecstatic.

I would be ecstatic with Williams, Maye, or Daniels. Most likely, we’d have to trade up significantly to get any of them. But if the Vikings feel strongly enough to go get one of them and can find a dance parter, I’m all for it.

I’d be fine with McCarthy or Penix at 11. Maybe a small trade up to make sure you get them, but I don’t think I’m mortgaging the future to get either of them.

The next tier is pretty much Bo Nix, imho. He’s a guy I don’t like at 11, but would be cool with in the 2nd round or with a small trade up to the back of round 1. With Ewers going back to Texas, there really isn’t another guy on this tier, imho.

I’m of the opinion that the Vikings absolutely need to come out of this draft with one of those 6 quarterbacks. It’s an unserious, Mickey Mouse operation if they don’t.
You kind of have the same QB's hierarchy I have. Except I don't think I'd take McCarthy or Penix at 11. Probably wouldn't take them until the 2nd round or try to move down and take them. I like Penix, just think he could be had lower. (Could be wrong)

And 100% agree, Vikings have to come away with a QB. And I'm fine bringing Cousins back for a year or two while they sit behind him. I'd actually prefer that because IMO, throwing a QB into the fire is the worst thing you can do. I don't know why HC's do it. Hate it.
salamander

Post by salamander »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:13 pm What a brilliant thought: select a top QB in the draft without missing and have him pro ready from the get go.
Everybody understands the pros and cons to drafting a QB and that it's all potential and not guaranteed. Let's not pretend they don't.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

salamander wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:42 am

You kind of have the same QB's hierarchy I have. Except I don't think I'd take McCarthy or Penix at 11. Probably wouldn't take them until the 2nd round or try to move down and take them. I like Penix, just think he could be had lower. (Could be wrong)

And 100% agree, Vikings have to come away with a QB. And I'm fine bringing Cousins back for a year or two while they sit behind him. I'd actually prefer that because IMO, throwing a QB into the fire is the worst thing you can do. I don't know why HC's do it. Hate it.
Im fine debating exactly where food value for one of those guys is. Reasonable minds can have some variance.

And starting year 1 can work, see CJ Stroud this year. But I don’t see a downside to giving them at least a year as an understudy.

- Isaac Asimov
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

You and me both!
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

If one of them falls to 4, they better be on the phone with Arizona. I don’t think the others will budge. The top 3 I mean. I have Nix ahead of McCarthy.
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Bunker Inspector wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:09 pm
Nobody is taking Penix in the first round.
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
Bunker Inspector

Beetlejuice wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:35 pm
Bunker Inspector wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:09 pm

Nobody is taking Penix in the first round.
You'll either be right or wrong about that :shrug:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

I think this team would fare much better right now with a mobile capable QB, but give me the best available.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-viki ... k-cousins/

Well… Let the JJ trade discussion officially begin.
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

Don’t get cute unless it’s a later round flier. I think our scouting on CBs has been suspect (Bynum aside). The Cine pick vs the Harry pick - 2nd round positions are sometimes worth 1st round picks but you can’t easily survive Cine/Booth/Gladney/Hughs/Bradbury and even Treadwell..that’s simply too much wasted early round draft capital to overcome with late hits (Pace) and even generational early draft hits like Jefferson, and FA.

Unfortunately that and Kurt’s role/salary/ now health status/age are making near term success extremely difficult. That Hock Injury really hurt the positional $ spend/ROI state of this team as well.

As is, 11 players will take up 54% of the cap in 2024, 9 players would take up 75% of the cap in 2025, and 9 players would take up 50% of the cap in 2026.

Bringing back the top players and trying to sign a couple top free agents is going to force the team to fill out the rest of the roster with a lot of players earning close to the minimum. This does not even have Darrisaw or Bynum extensions.

The Cousins, Hunter, O’Neill, and even Hockenson (post injury) deals look extremely burdensome given current state/needs/available cap to deal with roster consequences of missed high picks.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

BuDG123 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:32 am Don’t get cute unless it’s a later round flier. I think our scouting on CBs has been suspect (Bynum aside). The Cine pick vs the Harry pick - 2nd round positions are sometimes worth 1st round picks but you can’t easily survive Cine/Booth/Gladney/Hughs/Bradbury and even Treadwell..that’s simply too much wasted early round draft capital to overcome with late hits (Pace) and even generational early draft hits like Jefferson, and FA.

Unfortunately that and Kurt’s role/salary/ now health status/age are making near term success extremely difficult. That Hock Injury really hurt the positional $ spend/ROI state of this team as well.

As is, 11 players will take up 54% of the cap in 2024, 9 players would take up 75% of the cap in 2025, and 9 players would take up 50% of the cap in 2026.

Bringing back the top players and trying to sign a couple top free agents is going to force the team to fill out the rest of the roster with a lot of players earning close to the minimum. This does not even have Darrisaw or Bynum extensions.

The Cousins, Hunter, O’Neill, and even Hockenson (post injury) deals look extremely burdensome given current state/needs/available cap to deal with roster consequences of missed high picks.
About this, the league is purposely designed to have 60% of your roster be guys that are on cheap, rookie scale deals.
That's 32 guys right there.

Then you'll invariably have a few truly veteran minimum guys like your backup OL/DL (Schlottman, Brandel), possibly your backup QB, one or two back of the roster offensive skill position guys (Mundt, Gaskin), and one or two core special teamers (Najee, Dye).

Then you stack the difference with expensive studs.
Our future cap is actually set up perfectly.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
medicineball

Post by medicineball »

For a dominant team, you need 32 quality starters/near starters. These are the 22 offensive and defensive starters, K, P, LS, nickle CB, dime CB, 3rd WR, 4th WR, backup QB, and the special teams ace.The rest of the roster needs to be filled with quality role players who back up the starters and also play special teams. That's a lot of quality players needed, and quality players like to get paid healthy amounts.

If you are lucky enough to get a QB like Mahomes, yes, go ahead and pay that guy at a very high level. This is basically never the case, however. Chances are, you will be like 31/32 teams and not have that guy. Therefore, it makes sense to not pay the QB like a Cousins, a Lamar Jackson, or a Russell Wilson. In Vikings history, there has been only one true franchise QB: Tarkenton. Everybody else like flamed out or never got it done. Spread out the available salary cap to have a better overall team, starting on the offensive and defensive lines.

The top thing a QB needs is an offensive line for pass protection. Start with the lines.