Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Latest Mock Penix to Minnesota!!!!!

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Beef Supreme

Re: Latest Mock Penix to Minnesota!!!!!

Post by Beef Supreme »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:43 pm
Hoop Dreams wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:03 pm

Not sure why that would be the case. Coaches might just want the arm talent where as the Scouts are looking at the injuries.
I could buy that.

Coaches blinded by the talent. Visions of what that arm could do dancing in their heads. Scouts by nature have to be more critical/pessimistic.

Truth is usually in the middle.

Or this is just more made up bullshit.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

Whatever QB is there at 11 is the best pick for the team
D_H

Post by D_H »

Kurt Warner has Penix as a third best quarterback coming out. I’d stay at 11 and get him there if he lastsat long.

Throws a deep out without any effort.

The Sugar bowl proved he was more than capable of making any NFL pass with ease

Exhibits elite field generalship; excels in dissecting defensive alignments pre-snap, ensuring high-percentage throws post-snap.

Shows touch on deep balls and intermediate routes, demonstrating an ability to drop dimes in tight coverage.

Shows continued progression in arm mechanics, adept at layering throws over linebackers and under safeties with precision.

Routinely identifies mismatches and exploits secondary weaknesses with rapid progression.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

PurpleFloyd wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:33 pm Whatever QB is there at 11 is the best pick for the team
I’m starting to lean this way but I would still trade for Maye.

I think if WASH selects Daniels, the Vikings will trade with NE for Maye. If that doesn’t happen, they take their guy at #11.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:07 pm
PurpleFloyd wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:33 pm Whatever QB is there at 11 is the best pick for the team

I think if WASH selects Daniels, the Vikings will trade with NE for Maye. If that doesn’t happen, they take their guy at #11.
Agree!
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Yep.

And that guy is Penix.

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:14 pm

Yep.

And that guy is Penix.
That’s what i’ve been saying.

It’s either going to be Maye or Penix imo.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:27 pm

Yep.

And that guy is Penix.

I agree. I’m cool either way, but I kinda hope we take the big swing.

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:33 pm

Yep.

And that guy is Penix.

Same.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:34 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:33 pm

Same.
Breer acknowledged that one NFC executive called Penix a "three-point shooter." The insider also said that game film showed Penix struggled to make plays underneath during the national title contest versus Michigan on Jan. 8. In total, Penix completed 27-of-51 passes for 255 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions in the 34-13 defeat against the Wolverines.

"The optimist (coaches) would say that can be fixed with some mechanical work," Breer added about Penix. "The pessimist (scouts, in this case) would say he’s been in school for six years, and had great coaching, so it’s not like folks haven’t been trying."
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/af ... ec68&ei=14
D_H

Post by D_H »

It's safe to say at least one offensive coach in the AFC would love to have Michael Penix Jr. on his team.

"Penix is my No. 2 guy," the coach said of the Washington quarterback prospect, per Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated. "I love Penix. He's a stud, a born leader, calm and collected and in a genuine way. He's a baller. He turns it loose, can throw it into tight windows. He stands in the pocket, lets plays develop, takes hits, throws it down the field. He's just a winner."

He did plenty of winning in his final season with the Huskies and led them all the way to the College Football Playoff national championship game.

Best arm talent in draft for sure.
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Post by Da Gas Man's Ghost »

D_H wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:40 am It's safe to say at least one offensive coach in the AFC would love to have Michael Penix Jr. on his team.

"Penix is my No. 2 guy," the coach said of the Washington quarterback prospect, per Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated. "I love Penix. He's a stud, a born leader, calm and collected and in a genuine way. He's a baller. He turns it loose, can throw it into tight windows. He stands in the pocket, lets plays develop, takes hits, throws it down the field. He's just a winner."

He did plenty of winning in his final season with the Huskies and led them all the way to the College Football Playoff national championship game.

Maye's arm talent is better. And better mechanics. But Penix does have a really nice arm.
Pronouns: They/him/hers

Hopeful Member of the Crique.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:15 am
D_H wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:40 am It's safe to say at least one offensive coach in the AFC would love to have Michael Penix Jr. on his team.

Maye's arm talent is better. And better mechanics. But Penix does have a really nice arm.
I still believe injury concern is the main separator between Maye and Penix. They’re fairly even using the on field eyeball test.
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Post by Da Gas Man's Ghost »

witljon wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:37 am

I still believe injury concern is the main separator between Maye and Penix. They’re fairly even using the on field eyeball test.
While I agree that is a factor, there are several others:

1. Age - Penix is significantly older. Which means he's closer to his finished product. If they are close now in product, then scouts would likely see far more potential upside for Maye.
2. Righty vs Lefty is not insignificant.
3. Throwing mechanics. Maye needs to work on his footwork but Penix would need to rework his entire throwing motion. And it's a low release which is an issue in the NFL.
4. Mobility - Penix's rushing and scrambling are not existent. That's big in the NFL. Penix usually reads the defense (extremely well, BTW) and makes his decision pre-snap. And it's usually the right play because he is so elite at reading defenses. But if the play breaks down, there isn't much magic there.

And those are some significant factors. It's the reason that people are at least thinking there's a possibility that Penix MIGHT be there at 23 with 94 QB-needy teams after the Vikings. Injury is a significant factor but those other issues are as well.
Pronouns: They/him/hers

Hopeful Member of the Crique.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:00 am

1. Age - Penix is significantly older. Which means he's closer to his finished product. If they are close now in product, then scouts would likely see far more potential upside for Maye.
3. Throwing mechanics. Maye needs to work on his footwork but Penix would need to rework his entire throwing motion. And it's a low release which is an issue in the NFL.
4. Mobility - Penix's rushing and scrambling are not existent. That's big in the NFL. Penix usually reads the defense (extremely well, BTW) and makes his decision pre-snap. And it's usually the right play because he is so elite at reading defenses. But if the play breaks down, there isn't much magic there.

And those are some significant factors. It's the reason that people are at least thinking there's a possibility that Penix MIGHT be there at 23 with 94 QB-needy teams after the Vikings. Injury is a significant factor but those other issues are as well.
If I know I can get Penix at #23, i’m taking that all day. I might even pass on a Maye trade up if that were the case. Draft best D player at #11.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
salamander

Post by salamander »

It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

1 - agreed on the “closer to finished” angle. I think he’ll have a learning curve about NFL offenses and defenses, but in terms of skill or physical development, there won’t be much.

But I don’t care at all about the age in terms of length of career or whatever. If he’s good and healthy, he’ll still have a 12-15 career. That’s plenty.

2 - but not that significant. Some adjustments and learning curve for receivers catching the ball with the opposite spin. But not that big of a deal.

3 - I think if you take Penix you only do so if you think he can be successful with the mechanics he has. If they bother you that much, don’t take him.

4 - Penix is an underrated athlete. He’s got really good pocket awareness and mobility. But he’s not going to give you much of a rushing dimension. I don’t think that’s because he can’t. I think it’s a health choice given his injury history and also because he’s such an elite processor. But you’re right that his go to when things break down is to get rid of the ball. But that’s fine because as you said he almost always makes good decisions. If you want to run a read-option offense or something else that relies on the QB picking up yards with his feet, he’s not your guy.

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:38 am

If I know I can get Penix at #23, i’m taking that all day. I might even pass on a Maye trade up if that were the case. Draft best D player at #11.
You can certainly make this argument. Not sure how I fall on it. But I doubt Penix gets past all those QB-needy teams in the teens.

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:46 am

You can certainly make this argument. Not sure how I fall on it. But I doubt Penix gets past all those QB-needy teams in the teens.
I don’t think he does either. I think you will have to take him at #11. That’s why at a scenario at #23 would MAYEby too good to pass up?
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:48 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:46 am

I don’t think he does either. I think you will have to take him at #11. That’s why at a scenario at #23 would MAYEby too good to pass up?
Yeah. Turner/Murphy/Newton at 11 and Penix at 23 would be a fantastic day.

But I doubt it’s likely and I’d feel weird about it. If you think Penix is worth 23, isn’t he worth 11? If you think he can be the answer, don’t take the risk someone else snipes him. Take him at 11. If you don’t think he can be the answer, then don’t take him at all.

It would feel like they don’t really believe in him if they pass at 11 and take him at 23.

- Isaac Asimov
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:55 am

It would feel like they don’t really believe in him if they pass at 11 and take him at 23.
This is how I feel. Of course its much better value. However, it would also mean all those other teams don't think he is worth it. That's alot of doubt across the league on him. You have to value the opinion from multiple teams. IF this is how they roll and get away with it, you have to hope KOC knows something that no one else knows. I'm not ready to say he's that much of a genius yet.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

minnemike wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:57 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:55 am

This is how I feel. Of course its much better value. However, it would also mean all those other teams don't think he is worth it. That's alot of doubt across the league on him. You have to value the opinion from multiple teams. IF this is how they roll and get away with it, you have to hope KOC knows something that no one else knows. I'm not ready to say he's that much of a genius yet.
Right. If you believe in him, don’t fuck around with the risk you get sniped and take him at 11.

If you don’t believe in him, don’t take him at all.

- Isaac Asimov
D_H

Post by D_H »

NFL insider on Penix

“Seeing him in person, seeing the way the ball spins, seeing the way he can push the ball effortlessly down the football field is special….You’re not going to get a lot of outside-the-pocket type of plays with Michael Penix….But you’re going to get a lot of in-the-pocket throws that make you say, ‘Whoo, what a throw.’ That’s special instincts and feel right there.”

I say we do not get cute and trade any picks - Take him at 11 if you like him which I’m sure they do - what’s not to like his arm talent is off the charts.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

D_H wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:11 pm NFL insider on Penix

“Seeing him in person, seeing the way the ball spins, seeing the way he can push the ball effortlessly down the football field is special….You’re not going to get a lot of outside-the-pocket type of plays with Michael Penix….But you’re going to get a lot of in-the-pocket throws that make you say, ‘Whoo, what a throw.’ That’s special instincts and feel right there.”

I say we do not get cute and trade any picks - Take him at 11 if you like him which I’m sure they do - what’s not to like his arm talent is off the charts.
Penix is horrible throwing underneath. Michigan dared Penix to throw underneath and failed. "Brittle knees" that will crumble after a couple games of hits in the NFL. Nah, pass.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

William Munny wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:04 pm
D_H wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:11 pm NFL insider on Penix

Penix is horrible throwing underneath. Michigan dared Penix to throw underneath and failed. "Brittle knees" that will crumble after a couple games of hits in the NFL. Nah, pass.
gotta pass because of the knees too. sorry. not, sorry.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

With Penix hand size… I have no doubt he can grip it, rip it and zip it.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:47 pm With Penix hand size… I have no doubt he can grip it, rip it and zip it.
we still talking football here?
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

If I was doing the draft board for the Vikings, I would have finally added Michael Penix to the board, but there is zero chance I am taking him at 11 even though I think that the value at 11 for our positions of need isnt real strong. I would consider him at 23. I would prefer to trade down from 23 and take him, adding some valuable draft capital to our asset list. But not taking him at 11.

If another team "snipes" him in between the value position I feel he is worth, lets just ride with Sam Darnold and hope for the best. Maybe good coaching and having solid receivers around him is what he needed to get to that next and with what appears to be an improving defense (especially with a couple of solid draft picks) this team can be competitive.

Oh, I get that the word "competitive" spikes up the dander of the guys who insist that if we aren't winning a Super Bowl, and if a QB like Kirk Cousins has not won the big one then they suck. The QB has to be a winner. Yet, most of these people who have made these statements in the past denigrate JJ McCarthy. He led his team to a 15-0 National Championship, but I guess that was just game management that doesn't matter.
D_H

Post by D_H »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:20 am If I was doing the draft board for the Vikings, I would have finally added Michael Penix to the board, but there is zero chance I am taking him at 11 even though I think that the value at 11 for our positions of need isnt real strong. I would consider him at 23. I would prefer to trade down from 23 and take him, adding some valuable draft capital to our asset list. But not taking him at 11.

If another team "snipes" him in between the value position I feel he is worth, lets just ride with Sam Darnold and hope for the best. Maybe good coaching and having solid receivers around him is what he needed to get to that next and with what appears to be an improving defense (especially with a couple of solid draft picks) this team can be competitive.

Oh, I get that the word "competitive" spikes up the dander of the guys who insist that if we aren't winning a Super Bowl, and if a QB like Kirk Cousins has not won the big one then they suck. The QB has to be a winner. Yet, most of these people who have made these statements in the past denigrate JJ McCarthy. He led his team to a 15-0 National Championship, but I guess that was just game management that doesn't matter.
But you compare JJ McCarthy to Josh Allen it’s safe to say no one takes you seriously after that nonsense

By the way, JJ McCarthy did not lead his team to anything he was along for the ride. Lololololo