Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Latest Mock Penix to Minnesota!!!!!

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
hategreenticemase

Re: Latest Mock Penix to Minnesota!!!!!

Post by hategreenticemase »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:25 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:11 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:41 pm

They've already pushed this decision 2 years.
I really don't like the strategy FOR THEM SPECIFICALLY to push this yet another year, especially when this year's class is supposed to be so much better and we've already positioned ourselves to make a move up.

I will agree in a theoretical sense that you always want to organically grow the team and try to maximize value, but at some point the individual decision makers also need to stick their flag in the ground and make a decision.

If they defer the decision yet again and the Darnold thing doesn't work, then they're not around to make the ultimate pick. That's a fire able offense in my opinion.
I agree with all that, but will add,when you tell a top 8-10ish QB "no thanks" and send him on his way and then you do not go get one of the 4 high ceiling QB avail in draft, that's also fireable.
I agree with you. I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m only willing to trade up for Maye (Maybe Daniels but not so sure anymore). I hope they get Maye and I’m willing to give up 3 #1’s for him but if the move into the top #3 isn’t there, I’m not even trading both 1sts for the shot at QB #4. Just sit put if you are not getting one of the top 3, specifically Maye for me. Let someone else panic and trade up on QB #4.
While trading up to get JJ doesn't excite me, I can live with it if that's the guy that they want it all along. What there is no doubt about is there's a clear separation after the top four. You think there's a separation from the top three to the fourth, and I'm not saying you're wrong you might be right. But there's a clear divide after the top four. You can't come away from this draft without one of those top 4 guys.

I just saw the most hilarious s*** I've ever seen. I get these ESPN talking heads are paid to be controversial but holy f*** how does someone type this with a straight face? Mike Tannenbaum thinks we should trade 11 to the cards for 66 and .........
Kyler Murray. :lol:

No one would trade a 3rd for him and that contract. 11. Yep, he actually said 11. This doesn't even go into the fact of trading Kirk Cousins contract and walking away from a clearly better quarterback in him to get this guy in his absurd bloated contract. 11 for Murray. Hilarious.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:40 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:25 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:11 pm
I agree with all that, but will add,when you tell a top 8-10ish QB "no thanks" and send him on his way and then you do not go get one of the 4 high ceiling QB avail in draft, that's also fireable.
I agree with you. I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m only willing to trade up for Maye (Maybe Daniels but not so sure anymore). I hope they get Maye and I’m willing to give up 3 #1’s for him but if the move into the top #3 isn’t there, I’m not even trading both 1sts for the shot at QB #4. Just sit put if you are not getting one of the top 3, specifically Maye for me. Let someone else panic and trade up on QB #4.
While trading up to get JJ doesn't excite me, I can live with it if that's the guy that they want it all along. What there is no doubt about is there's a clear separation after the top four. You think there's a separation from the top three to the fourth, and I'm not saying you're wrong you might be right. But there's a clear divide after the top four. You can't come away from this draft without one of those top 4 guys.

I just saw the most hilarious s*** I've ever seen. I get these ESPN talking heads are paid to be controversial but holy f*** how does someone type this with a straight face? Mike Tannenbaum thinks we should trade 11 to the cards for 66 and .........
Kyler Murray. :lol:

No one would trade a 3rd for him and that contract. 11. Yep, he actually said 11. This doesn't even go into the fact of trading Kirk Cousins contract and walking away from a clearly better quarterback in him to get this guy in his absurd bloated contract. 11 for Murray. Hilarious.
Ya, I saw that.

Someone also had us trading to #3 to draft McCarthy and Daniels sliding all the way to #11 where the Pats took him after trading with us. I would barf if that ever happened.

McCarthy isn’t close to the top 3 imo. I’m not trading up for him at all. If he’s there at #11 I can live with it but I think it’s a long shot he is a stud.

I would rather go defense at #11 and hope to get Penix at #23. Might not be able to get any of the 6 at #23 though.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

My dream drafts.

#1 Drake Maye

#2 #11 Turner #23 Penix

#3 #11 Mitchell #23 Penix

I realize there is no DT there but I don’t think there is one worth drafting at #11 and you need #23 to take your QB.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

D_H wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:23 pm “The Seahawks offensive coordinator (Ryan Grubb) was Michael Penix’s offensive coordinator in college. Seattle doesn’t owe Geno Smith any money next year. I think he (Penix) throws the prettiest ball in the draft…You can say it’s a bit of a reach, but Seattle’s got their pieces…Seattle’s ready to win.”

I’m on record saying I’d stay at 11 and take Penix there. Kurt Warner has him as the third best quarterback coming out this draft that means something.
Penix was terrible in the Championship game. 2 easy picks and only 255 yards. Terrible. Career back-up is his ceiling.
D_H

Post by D_H »

William Munny wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:53 pm
D_H wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:23 pm “The Seahawks offensive coordinator (Ryan Grubb) was Michael Penix’s offensive coordinator in college. Seattle doesn’t owe Geno Smith any money next year. I think he (Penix) throws the prettiest ball in the draft…You can say it’s a bit of a reach, but Seattle’s got their pieces…Seattle’s ready to win.”

I’m on record saying I’d stay at 11 and take Penix there. Kurt Warner has him as the third best quarterback coming out this draft that means something.
Penix was terrible in the Championship game. 2 easy picks and only 255 yards. Terrible. Career back-up is his ceiling.
But JJ was worse
Lol

Nanana my dad can beat up your dad :mrgreen:
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

D_H wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:38 pm
William Munny wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:53 pm

But JJ was worse
Lol

Nanana my dad can beat up your dad :mrgreen:
You were "hatched" without a doubt.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:10 pm

Patrick Mahomes went 12-13 his two years as a starter at Texas Tech.

You would have questioned his winning mentality.
I watched Mahomes vs Baker a few days ago and it was an awesome game. Complete shoot out, Joe Mixon and and Baker were way too much for the Texas Tech defense, a complete siv.

I didn't fault Mahomes for that game, he was awesome, everybody needs help and nobody can do it alone.

I would have to watch a lot of film to find out if Mahomes was choking in big moments. I never take anything at face value without looking at the overall picture.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

D_H wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:19 pm Diana Russini on the Collin heard show just now said no one is moving up the draft JJ McCarthy. She’s actually laughed at the idea after talking to owners at the meetings last weekend.

It was just on the air. I’m sure you can find it if you want to see the look on her face talking about JJ McCarthy moving up. She actually laughed out loud at the idea. She obviously talked to a lot of people at the owners meeting.
Good lord buddy. You have selective hearing. You might want to watch that again.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:56 pm
D_H wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:19 pm Diana Russini on the Collin heard show just now said no one is moving up the draft JJ McCarthy. She’s actually laughed at the idea after talking to owners at the meetings last weekend.

It was just on the air. I’m sure you can find it if you want to see the look on her face talking about JJ McCarthy moving up. She actually laughed out loud at the idea. She obviously talked to a lot of people at the owners meeting.
Good lord buddy. You have selective hearing. You might want to watch that again.
Penix is set to meet with the Giants, Falcons, Raiders, Broncos and Steelers, per ESPN’s Brady Henderson.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/398 ... ed-pro-day
D_H

Post by D_H »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:56 pm

lol

No - she laughed out loud and said NO ONE is trading up for JJ. Pull it up a listen.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Just wish the draft was over so we could stop with all the speculatin!!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:23 pm
That was so 5 hours ago.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

where's maye?
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:36 pm where's maye?
Maye has been off the board at Draft Kings for weeks. Not sure why.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

You will see him in DC.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Right after April.

Spoiler:
I’ll see myself out…
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

- Isaac Asimov
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

My preference is to trade down from 11 and draft penix or nix. I think top 6 QB will be gone by 23. You never know though seems like a guy drops to 2nd round every year.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Obi-Wan wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:40 am My preference is to trade down from 11 and draft penix or nix. I think top 6 QB will be gone by 23. You never know though seems like a guy drops to 2nd round every year.
I think if you like him enough to take him at 23, then you like him enough to take at 11. The draft really plateaus at this range anyway and the “other” player you take at either 11 or 23 is going to be of pretty much the same talent level. It’s nice to get your pick of them at 11, but if you like a QB enough to take him in the first round, you don’t risk missing on him.

If you don’t like him enough to spend a first rounder on him, then don’t reach at 11 or 23.

Some real QB needy teams between 11 and 23. Oakland, Denver, New Orleans, Seattle… even the Rams could go QB.

- Isaac Asimov
witljon

Post by witljon »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:48 pm
Right after April.

Spoiler:
I’ll see myself out…
He’s standing in front of June.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:14 am
Obi-Wan wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:40 am My preference is to trade down from 11 and draft penix or nix. I think top 6 QB will be gone by 23. You never know though seems like a guy drops to 2nd round every year.
I think if you like him enough to take him at 23, then you like him enough to take at 11. The draft really plateaus at this range anyway and the “other” player you take at either 11 or 23 is going to be of pretty much the same talent level. It’s nice to get your pick of them at 11, but if you like a QB enough to take him in the first round, you don’t risk missing on him.

If you don’t like him enough to spend a first rounder on him, then don’t reach at 11 or 23.

Some real QB needy teams between 11 and 23. Oakland, Denver, New Orleans, Seattle… even the Rams could go QB.
There’s no 2 teams with the same big board. We’d all love to see the Vikings big board. According to Matt Miller, he has only 16 prospects with 1st round grades. I wonder how many the Vikings have.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

witljon wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:09 pm

There’s no 2 teams with the same big board. We’d all love to see the Vikings big board. According to Matt Miller, he has only 16 prospects with 1st round grades. I wonder how many the Vikings have.
That’s a worthless statement when it comes to this. 32 players will be selected in the first round. Whether they’re as good as first rounders picked in other years is irrelevant.

I’d also love to see the Vikings’ big board.

- Isaac Asimov
witljon

Post by witljon »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:26 pm

That’s a worthless statement when it comes to this. 32 players will be selected in the first round. Whether they’re as good as first rounders picked in other years is irrelevant.
Well in the ESPN article, it says you might think there’s 32 first round prospects, but they aren’t talking about how many players will be drafted in the first round; they’re talking about how many carry a true Round 1 grade. It went on to say NFL teams don’t typically deem many prospects in a given class as a Round 1-caliber talents and never 32 of them. More realistically, around 15 per class earn a real first round grade, though that number varies by team and scouting department. Millers rule of thumb is whether the player would have been a first rounder in each of the past 5 classes.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

witljon wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:50 pm

Well in the ESPN article, it says you might think there’s 32 first round prospects, but they aren’t talking about how many players will be drafted in the first round; they’re talking about how many carry a true Round 1 grade. It went on to say NFL teams don’t typically deem many prospects in a given class as a Round 1-caliber talents and never 32 of them. More realistically, around 15 per class earn a real first round grade, though that number varies by team and scouting department. Millers rule of thumb is whether the player would have been a first rounder in each of the past 5 classes.
Sure. So what? What does that have to do with anything?

- Isaac Asimov
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:03 pm

Not sure why that would be the case. Coaches might just want the arm talent where as the Scouts are looking at the injuries.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

This isn't a hard game to fall in love with Penix. I watched his 2023 season and this was his best game of the year, which is good because it was a big time game vs a good Dline and solid competition. It also shows he played clutch in a big game. Which he didn't quite do vs Michigan even though his pass pro was real bad.

The one thing this film shows us is he's capable of hitting his throws when he's taken off the spot so the narrative isn't 100%. It's just something he's probably not consistent with but he can do it.

If dude can maintain his healthy and get even better with some of the little stuff he could be real good in the Pro's.

Him at 11 sounds better and better because you don't spend the other draft capital and get a guy with a hell of an arm.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:01 pm

It has to do with Matt Millers opinion.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

witljon wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:22 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:01 pm

It has to do with Matt Millers opinion.
Okay. And his opinion is valid. It just seems shoehorned into this conversation.

- Isaac Asimov