Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Latest Mock Penix to Minnesota!!!!!

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
cdr2529

Re: Latest Mock Penix to Minnesota!!!!!

Post by cdr2529 »

I would take penix over McCarthy
D_H

Post by D_H »

:punch:
cdr2529 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:36 pm I would take penix over McCarthy
Oh yes, that’s not even close

JJ McCarthy absolutely has no specific skill set that’s a head turner, everything he has physically is just average at best. His camp is trying hard to boost him up but I don’t think that was the consensus amongst scouts that were at the combine. They were raving about Penix. It was all over Twitter.
Last edited by D_H on Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:25 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:13 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:09 pm

:thumbsup:

Still not as bad as “A couple of guards”, “Gladney and Dantzler ready by Turkey Day”, “Season is lost because Irv Smith is hurt” :lol:

Oh and I never spent half a season crying day in and day out to see Jared “Lollipop Kid” Ball. :lol: Fuck that take was so bad by the morons here but it disappeared into the wind hoped to be forgotten. :lol:

#Homers
Funny, you have to twist or make up what others takes are to make a point, we just need to tell exactly what your take was. :lol:

By the way, what QB do you most want? It would helpful to us to know what to root against.
I go back and fourth between Maye and Daniels. I would be happy with any of the BIG 3. For the Vikings though? I think I lean Maye.
Well we ain't getting Williams so JJ it is! Let's goooooo!!!
witljon

Post by witljon »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:52 pm
D_H wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:46 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:45 pm

He’s a 2nd rounder.
He’d be off my draft board

Before the national championship game where he looked absolutely putrid He was considered a third or fourth round draft pick lol why would he move up the board so much? It’s just not true, It’s phony information put out by the McCarthy camp.
I’m fine with him in rd #2 but trading up for him is gross.

90% of people didn’t like him here a few months ago and now they’ve all talked themselves into it.
I’ve tried to find positives to convince myself McCarthy is a good prospect, but failed. Everything comes down to the Michigan games I was able to catch. I watched him against the Gophers, Ohio State, Iowa, Maryland, Alabama, and Washington. I did not see anything special. If we draft him, we better have a dominant defense and run game. Then he might be ok.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

witljon wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:54 pm

Before the national championship game where he looked absolutely putrid He was considered a third or fourth round draft pick lol why would he move up the board so much? It’s just not true, It’s phony information put out by the McCarthy camp.

90% of people didn’t like him here a few months ago and now they’ve all talked themselves into it.
I’ve tried to find positives to convince myself McCarthy is a good prospect, but failed. Everything comes down to the Michigan games I was able to catch. I watched him against the Gophers, Ohio State, Iowa, Maryland, Alabama, and Washington. I did not see anything special. If we draft him, we better have a dominant defense and run game. Then he might be ok.
This.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
D_H

Post by D_H »

Go watch the tape when Michigan played Bowling Green. He threw three interceptions, and looked absolutely lost against the very average defense.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

I dunno....similar comments might have been made about a former Michigan QB who went on to have a HOF career!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
D_H

Post by D_H »

Hornets wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:09 pm

I dunno....similar comments might have been made about a former Michigan QB who went on to have a HOF career!

So you’re fairly confident he’s the next Tom Brady? :mrgreen:
witljon

Post by witljon »

Similar comments were probably made about Christian Ponder too.
D_H

Post by D_H »

witljon wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:19 pm

I remember Drew Locks camp propping him up like they’re doing with JJ McCarthy. Here was his scouting report. Lol

Absolutely gorgeous downfield thrower. Clearly at his best when throwing at full force, both in terms of mechanics and results. Looks the part of a franchise QB when throwing deep. Nearly ideal size/frame and good athleticism. Has the strongest arm among the top QBs in the class. Quick, short, explosive release. Ability to complete all throws on the field with ease. Was regularly asked to make multi-progression reads and demonstrated good eyes in this capacity. Typically accurate when properly protected. Flexible arm capable of releasing at multiple angles. Naturally aggressive and confident attacker, which leads to some stunning creative big-play throws.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

everyone of these QBs should be able to hit vikings wide open receivers. this isn't rocket science. the team should be able to compete and should be better than it was when the QB was taking up so much of the salary cap. i'm not taking penix because you can't hit the receivers if you're on the IL list. but that's just me.

it'll be interesting what kwesi does.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

D_H wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:21 pm
witljon wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:19 pm

I remember Drew Locks camp propping him up like they’re doing with JJ McCarthy. Here was his scouting report. Lol

Absolutely gorgeous downfield thrower. Clearly at his best when throwing at full force, both in terms of mechanics and results. Looks the part of a franchise QB when throwing deep. Nearly ideal size/frame and good athleticism. Has the strongest arm among the top QBs in the class. Quick, short, explosive release. Ability to complete all throws on the field with ease. Was regularly asked to make multi-progression reads and demonstrated good eyes in this capacity. Typically accurate when properly protected. Flexible arm capable of releasing at multiple angles. Naturally aggressive and confident attacker, which leads to some stunning creative big-play throws.
Jake Locker? Brian Brohm?
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i'm still hoping for JJ though.
D_H

Post by D_H »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:26 pm i'm still hoping for JJ though.

You keep up the good fight 👍

You might want to go check out when Michigan played Bowling Green. 3 picks against an absolutely horrible defense and he looked confused. I asked myself this question if you switched JJ McCarthy and Penix around would Washington still make it to the to the national championship game?? I’m sure the answer is no. The arm talent of the two is not even remotely comparable.
Last edited by D_H on Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:23 pm everyone of these QBs should be able to hit vikings wide open receivers. this isn't rocket science. the team should be able to compete and should be better than it was when the QB was taking up so much of the salary cap. i'm not taking penix because you can't hit the receivers if you're on the IL list. but that's just me.

I don’t buy that. If it was that easy, WRs would be as important as the QB. I’ve seen MANY QBs not be able to get the WR the ball and then the WR goes off the rails.

Justin Jefferson wouldn’t have a 1K year with Ponder.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
witljon

Post by witljon »

Why? What is it you like about him?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:30 pm
weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:23 pm everyone of these QBs should be able to hit vikings wide open receivers. this isn't rocket science. the team should be able to compete and should be better than it was when the QB was taking up so much of the salary cap. i'm not taking penix because you can't hit the receivers if you're on the IL list. but that's just me.

I don’t buy that. If it was that easy, WRs would be as important as the QB. I’ve seen MANY QBs not be able to get the WR the ball and then the WR goes off the rails.

Justin Jefferson wouldn’t have a 1K year with Ponder.
is there a ponder in this group?
D_H

Post by D_H »

witljon wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:33 pm
Mlhouse told him he’s good. lol

Obviously, he hasn’t watched a lot of tape on JJ.
Last edited by D_H on Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

his strong arm/throws that i saw him complete. also mobile.
D_H

Post by D_H »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:34 pm
Not trying to be a dick but I’m not sure where you’re getting your information. I think it’s coming from the JJ McCarthy camp.

One of the more realistic concerns with McCarthy is the player he sometimes becomes under pressure. In these situations, McCarthy has been known to hesitate and drop his eyes, which can get him into trouble especially with his lack of elite arm strength

Ball placement has also been off at times, despite a strong offensive line and solid supporting cast.

He honestly has no specific skill that stands out. I’m not sure what people see him.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

D_H wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:38 pm

Not trying to be a dick but I’m not sure where you’re getting your information. I think it’s coming from the JJ McCarthy camp.

One of the more realistic concerns with McCarthy is the player he sometimes becomes under pressure. In these situations, McCarthy has been known to hesitate and drop his eyes, which can get him into trouble especially with his lack of elite arm strength

Ball placement has also been off at times, despite a strong offensive line and solid supporting cast.

He honestly has no specific skill that stands out. I’m not sure what people see him.
:lol: all kinds of tape out there if you want to go look for it.
witljon

Post by witljon »

If that’s what you like, you’ll love Joe Milton.
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

He is either a family member or he is just dumb
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Guys, I’m no moderator, but be respectful.
Debating QB preferences can be very fun, but no name calling or questioning of intelligence.

All of these guys have their own pros and cons, and none of us really know who will end up best.
That’s where the fun is, but there needs to be mutual respect.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:51 pm Guys, I’m no moderator, but be respectful.
Debating QB preferences can be very fun, but no name calling or questioning of intelligence.

All of these guys have their own pros and cons, and none of us really know who will end up best.
It would be helpful to remember where it's coming from and the absurdity that the most destructive and asinine jackass bit who has been banned hundreds of times by BOTH either boards is allowed to post. But ya, let's let him back. :lol:

Agree with your points. It's bullshit. Best thing is if people report that shit.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:51 pm Guys, I’m no moderator, but be respectful.

Best post of the day! :clap:
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:24 pm Image

After Chris Simms put out his QB rankings, I'm officially on board with Drake Maye, JJ McCarthy or Michael Penix. For those that don't remember he had Kellen Mond in his top 4 ranking and Zach Wilson #1.
:lol:
D_H

Post by D_H »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:39 pm
D_H wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:38 pm

:lol: all kinds of tape out there if you want to go look for it.
Unnamed scout at the combine on JJ

Wasn’t asked to do much in the context of Michigan’s star-studded offense. Attempted just 22.1 passes per game in 2023 including many one-read, quick release designs. This was especially prevalent against top competition. Was rarely asked to go through progressions, coaching staff thought he could not read defenses.

— Accuracy is inconsistent

— Doesn’t always read the field with conviction

— Can’t zip the ball when needed, and doesn’t have a reliable touch pass right now

Like I said WF - you cannot name one skill set He is elite at there just isn’t one.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated wrote that Penix “was probably the winner among the quarterbacks” at the combine, based on word from “evaluators that were inside Lucas Oil Stadium on Saturday.”

Displaying a quick release and a buttery-smooth throwing motion, Penix demonstrated his remarkable arm strength and deep-ball accuracy. Those traits had former Bucs head coach Bruce Arians calling Penix the best deep-ball thrower he’s seen in 15 years.

This guy has a Dan Marino type arm. Hopefully he slides down to us.

Hopefully he’s there at 11 absolute steal
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

I like penix. I only watched his passes vs Michigan. Barely missed a number of big throws in that game. Imo he has outstanding pocket awareness. When pressured he is able to throw the ball away or hit checkdown. I also read his sack to pressure rate is really low. He is more mobile and shifty than people give him credit for. Everyone knows about the arm strength. I