Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Latest Mock Penix to Minnesota!!!!!

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
-VikingsTw-

Re: Latest Mock Penix to Minnesota!!!!!

Post by -VikingsTw- »

D_H wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:28 pm
mlhouse wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:20 am If I was doing the draft board for the Vikings, I would have finally added Michael Penix to the board, but there is zero chance I am taking him at 11 even though I think that the value at 11 for our positions of need isnt real strong. I would consider him at 23. I would prefer to trade down from 23 and take him, adding some valuable draft capital to our asset list. But not taking him at 11.

If another team "snipes" him in between the value position I feel he is worth, lets just ride with Sam Darnold and hope for the best. Maybe good coaching and having solid receivers around him is what he needed to get to that next and with what appears to be an improving defense (especially with a couple of solid draft picks) this team can be competitive.

Oh, I get that the word "competitive" spikes up the dander of the guys who insist that if we aren't winning a Super Bowl, and if a QB like Kirk Cousins has not won the big one then they suck. The QB has to be a winner. Yet, most of these people who have made these statements in the past denigrate JJ McCarthy. He led his team to a 15-0 National Championship, but I guess that was just game management that doesn't matter.
But you compare JJ McCarthy to Josh Allen it’s safe to say no one takes you seriously after that nonsense

By the way, JJ McCarthy did not lead his team to anything he was along for the ride. Lololololo
As the QB you can never really escape the pressure. You might have less than other guys at times but you can't escape being asked to make big plays.

Ignoring his 3rd down efficiency is irrational.

Ignoring his performance vs Alabama and other big games against good competition.

But Bowling Green Sir... Who cares, they dog stomped a bad team still didn't lose and he's not throwing those INT's in the biggest games of his career.
salamander

Post by salamander »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:20 am Oh, I get that the word "competitive" spikes up the dander of the guys who insist that if we aren't winning a Super Bowl, and if a QB like Kirk Cousins has not won the big one then they suck. The QB has to be a winner.
Kirk Cousins needs to learn how to win playoff games before we can even discuss SB's.

Cousins until he wins another playoff game is on the level of Case Keenum, Marcus Mariota & Daniel Jones (who will probably surpass him),
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

salamander wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:09 pm
mlhouse wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:20 am Oh, I get that the word "competitive" spikes up the dander of the guys who insist that if we aren't winning a Super Bowl, and if a QB like Kirk Cousins has not won the big one then they suck. The QB has to be a winner.
Kirk Cousins needs to learn how to win playoff games before we can even discuss SB's.

Cousins until he wins another playoff game is on the level of Case Keenum, Marcus Mariota & Daniel Jones (who will probably surpass him),
Right... to simpletons.
salamander

Post by salamander »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:32 pm

Right... to simpletons.
Playoffs don't matter?
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

salamander wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:55 pm

Right... to simpletons.
Playoffs don't matter?
The other 52 players on the active roster don't matter?
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:59 pm

Right... to simpletons.
Playoffs don't matter?
Fuck Kirk Cousins. Kirk only cares about Kirk and money. He held this team back. Granted Dobbs and Mullens were horseshit, but Keenum was better than Kirk here.

Kirk Cousins will never win a Super Bowl. The Falcons will be just were the Vikings were with him. There will never be an offensive line that can give Kirk the time he needs to throw. The Falcons have an amazing offensive line, but by the end of the year they won’t. Kirk holds the ball too long and becomes a scatterbrain when the pressure comes. Dude was given an amazing arm, and it has made him one of the highest played players in NFL history, but he won’t be remembered as anything special. He will Never ever… NEVER … be a winner in the playoffs because he isn’t good enough.

I’ve never been more frustrated watching a professional athlete in my entire life and thank God he is gone!

We may never see another quarterback make the throws he did here in our entire lives. But… we will win more games and have more success. Maybe not today. Maybe not for the next few years. But we will be better eventually.

Our best year was when Stefanski realized that to win you use Kirk as a game manager. Rely on the run. Control the time of possession and don’t turn the ball over. The years with Kubiak or KOC or DeFillippo didn’t work with Kirk. He isn’t Stafford. He isn’t Purdy. He’s Garoppolo. He’s Goff on his best day.

Kirk shit his pants when it mattered.

You like JJ McCarthy. Dude would kill for Kirk’s arm. But he will win. Drake Maye reeks of Cousins more than McCarthy. I wish we could have the arm of Cousins with the moxie of McCarthy.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

cunningham wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:20 pm but Keenum was better than Kirk here.

You like JJ McCarthy. Dude would kill for Kirk’s arm. But he will win. Drake Maye reeks of Cousins more than McCarthy. I wish we could have the arm of Cousins with the moxie of McCarthy.
False..... Case Keenum was not better than Kirk Cousins. THE FUCKING TEAM WAS BETTER in 2017 but not the QB. YOu can keep posting such nonsense but it shows your takes are not serious.

AS far as JJ McCarthy, McCarthy has a much better arm than Kirk. Can JJ refine his game to Kirk's level? Unknown but the potential is there.

Again, if you are subscribing to teh theory pushed by DH and others that McCarthy only makes throws low level high school QBs make, then your views are also not serious. McCarthy is a tremendous QB prospect with the BEST arm in this draft and it really isn't close.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:06 pm
cunningham wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:20 pm but Keenum was better than Kirk here.

False..... Case Keenum was not better than Kirk Cousins. THE FUCKING TEAM WAS BETTER in 2017 but not the QB. YOu can keep posting such nonsense but it shows your takes are not serious.

AS far as JJ McCarthy, McCarthy has a much better arm than Kirk. Can JJ refine his game to Kirk's level? Unknown but the potential is there.

Again, if you are subscribing to teh theory pushed by DH and others that McCarthy only makes throws low level high school QBs make, then your views are also not serious. McCarthy is a tremendous QB prospect with the BEST arm in this draft and it really isn't close.
I’m not going to argue Keenum was better than Cousins but what was so different about the 2018 roster than 2017? In fact, we had a healthy Dalvin Cook that year also.

The whole Spielman era was a complete failure so there is that.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

False..... Case Keenum was not better than Kirk Cousins. THE FUCKING TEAM WAS BETTER in 2017 but not the QB. You can keep posting such nonsense but it shows your takes are not serious.

If McCarthy has Kirk's arm we are gonna be great then.

I know that statistically and everything that Kirk is better than Keenum, but only one of those two made it to the NFC Championship game. Same team the next season except the offensive coordinator couldn't even make the playoffs. Have you forgotten that Kirk shit the bed against the Bears' 3rd stringers with the entire season on the line? Would Keenum had done that? The next year we had Stefanski as OC and won a playoff game with Kirk. His only playoff win in his entire career. Ironically it was an overtime win against the Saints.

Kirk Cousins and Case Keenum faced each other on the field the year before he came here. They were equal and both had bad picks and Case won the game - Kirk tried to comeback late and was denied. Kirk was a stat machine, but he just wasn't a winner. If the stats Kirk had makes him a better quarterback then yes, he was better, except in the win category. What Kirk fans don't get is that the most important stat is winning. It is being able to convert plays at the right time.

We are going to be better off without Kirk.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:49 pm

I’m not going to argue Keenum was better than Cousins but what was so different about the 2018 roster than 2017? In fact, we had a healthy Dalvin Cook that year also.

Kirk had it all in his first season in MN and shit the bed. He needed KOC to get over the hump no doubt. They'll need equivalent magic in ATL to maintain Kirko and not get Kirk.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

cunningham wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:46 am

False..... Case Keenum was not better than Kirk Cousins. THE FUCKING TEAM WAS BETTER in 2017 but not the QB. You can keep posting such nonsense but it shows your takes are not serious.

I know that statistically and everything that Kirk is better than Keenum, but only one of those two made it to the NFC Championship game. Same team the next season except the offensive coordinator couldn't even make the playoffs. Have you forgotten that Kirk shit the bed against the Bears' 3rd stringers with the entire season on the line? Would Keenum had done that? The next year we had Stefanski as OC and won a playoff game with Kirk. His only playoff win in his entire career. Ironically it was an overtime win against the Saints.

Kirk Cousins and Case Keenum faced each other on the field the year before he came here. They were equal and both had bad picks and Case won the game - Kirk tried to comeback late and was denied. Kirk was a stat machine, but he just wasn't a winner. If the stats Kirk had makes him a better quarterback then yes, he was better, except in the win category. What Kirk fans don't get is that the most important stat is winning. It is being able to convert plays at the right time.

"Stat machine".... Kirk Cousins had the bad luck to play on some of the worst defenses in the league for the vast majority of his career as a starter in the NFL. I would estimate that the average number of wins for defenses that bad for his career would have been 4-5 per season. The differnece between those 4-5 wins and the 7-9 wins Cousins' teams put up in most of those seasons is... Kirk Cousins.
D_H

Post by D_H »

What did you like best last year? His performance in the national championship game, the three interceptions he threw against Bowling Green, or the time they coach didn’t let him pass in the second half? Lol
salamander

Post by salamander »

Right... to simpletons.
Playoffs don't matter?
Not as much as the QB. A QB who needs perfection around him to be successful isn't a great QB.

Cousins had good teams here and he couldn't do shit. Cousins can barely get to the playoffs let alone win playoff games. That's his legacy.

Remember when Cousins couldn't beat Daniel Jones in the playoffs? :lol:
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

salamander wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:20 pm

Playoffs don't matter?
Not as much as the QB. A QB who needs perfection around him to be successful isn't a great QB.

Cousins had good teams here and he couldn't do shit. Cousins can barely get to the playoffs let alone win playoff games. That's his legacy.

LOL.... yeah being in the top ten in offenses with an moron like Mike Zimmer as the head coach.

This obsession with wins and losses is just incredible. How many playoff wins did Teddy Bridgewater have? The answer is ZERO. But, if the fucking field goal kicker does his job and makes a chip shot 27 yard field goal that total changes. Its a team game. YOu evaluate the players on the team as a player, not on the win-loss record.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I never really liked Kirk Cousins that much, but I really look forward to the day that we put the whole discussion to bed.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:03 am
cunningham wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:46 am

"Stat machine".... Kirk Cousins had the bad luck to play on some of the worst defenses in the league for the vast majority of his career as a starter in the NFL. I would estimate that the average number of wins for defenses that bad for his career would have been 4-5 per season. The differnece between those 4-5 wins and the 7-9 wins Cousins' teams put up in most of those seasons is... Kirk Cousins.
Kirk got the same defense as Keenum had. Our defense got worse and worse because Kirk needed to be paid.

Kirk had the best season of his career during KOC's first year. This past year we were talking about tanking.

As someone who played defensive line into the college years I think people often don't realize how big of a role that the offense plays in the success of the defense. Big momentum stops are tough. If you do one and the offense comes out, goes 3 and out, and then punts, it is so backbreaking to go back out there and do it again.

That is why I have not liked Kirk Cousins: he doesn't control the ball when he needs to. Once the pressure is off he turns into Tom Brady, but when the pressure is there he folds like origami. Ask a Packer fan what they think of Kirk Cousins. They think he is a joke and they have no fear of him beating them. They all tell me that with a little pressure he sucks. Homers here overrated him and gave him more excuses than I have ever seen for a quarterback.

It is good he and his contract are gone. I gained respect for our GM when he didn't keep paying Kirk. Let the Falcons go 8-9 or 9-8 and get him over that billion dollar mark.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:16 pm I never really liked Kirk Cousins that much, but I really look forward to the day that we put the whole discussion to bed.
Once we have a decent quarterback it will be put to bed.

It will be tough when our new quarterbacks struggle and Kirk-a-maniac fans here wanna rub the doubters faces in it.

I hated the Kirk move and still blame him for the downfall of Zimmer. Kirk has been the most frustrating quarterback I've ever watched in my life. In the redzone and middle to deep range he was great. The rest, not so much.

It is a fun discussion. There will be a lot to see this year now that he is with a new team, got the money he wanted, and has one of the top offensive lines in the NFL. My bet is that by the end of the year the Falcons will want "better" offensive linemen and their defense will be questioned.
salamander

Post by salamander »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:53 pm

LOL.... yeah being in the top ten in offenses with an moron like Mike Zimmer as the head coach.

This obsession with wins and losses is just incredible. How many playoff wins did Teddy Bridgewater have? The answer is ZERO. But, if the fucking field goal kicker does his job and makes a chip shot 27 yard field goal that total changes. Its a team game. YOu evaluate the players on the team as a player, not on the win-loss record.
There isn't a stat more important that winning in the playoffs. Cousins is a failure at the most important stat.
There is nothing else that matter in evaluating a player unless you're small minded.
Nobody cares about how many yards he threw during week 8 of the 2nd preseason.

OK, here's my evaluation of Cousins as a player which is all based in evidence and historical data:

One of two things have happened at an alarming rate through Cousins career.
1. If he starts with a big lead, he'll let the other team back into the game on to lose.
2. If he starts with a massive lead, he'll throw for boatloads of stats only to come up short.

He crumbles in big games. He's a mental Little Person who will never succeed in big games because he's not a good QB.

Kirk Cousins lost to Daniel Jones. That is the type of QB he is. The kind that loses to Daniel Jones and a shitty Giants defense.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

salamander wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:41 pm
mlhouse wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:53 pm

There isn't a stat more important that winning in the playoffs. Cousins is a failure at the most important stat.
There is nothing else that matter in evaluating a player unless you're small minded.
Nobody cares about how many yards he threw during week 8 of the 2nd preseason.

OK, here's my evaluation of Cousins as a player which is all based in evidence and historical data:

One of two things have happened at an alarming rate through Cousins career.
1. If he starts with a big lead, he'll let the other team back into the game on to lose.
2. If he starts with a massive lead, he'll throw for boatloads of stats only to come up short.

He crumbles in big games. He's a mental Little Person who will never succeed in big games because he's not a good QB.

Kirk Cousins lost to Daniel Jones. That is the type of QB he is. The kind that loses to Daniel Jones and a shitty Giants defense.
Had nothing to do with Mike Zimmer, right?
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

The lack of continuity at OC for the first few years surely didn't help.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Pray he drops to us at 11!!!!! Best arm talent in this draft by a wide margin!

“If I had the first pick of the draft, it’d be hard not to roll the dice on (USC quarterback Caleb Williams),” Feldman said. “But there’s definitely stuff that would give you pause about him, though and that would make me a little skeptical.

“If I had the second pick of the draft and I needed a quarterback and Caleb is not there, I’d have a hard time saying no to Michael Penix because he made so many big-time throws … I know he has got an electric arm and he is not afraid.”
R403

Post by R403 »

It appears like coaches and scouts are higher on Michael Penix Jr and have a lot lower opinion on JJ McCarthy than mock draft makers.
witljon

Post by witljon »

We had the top defense in the league when Keenum was our QB.
It seemed like we were always getting the ball with a short field.
witljon

Post by witljon »

There isn’t a coach in the NFL who would agree with you.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

witljon wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:51 pm

We had the top defense in the league when Keenum was our QB.
It seemed like we were always getting the ball with a short field.
In the end, the coaching staff lost complete confidence in Case. I don't think they gave it one second of thought to re-sign Case after the 2017 season.

In hindsight, and I have said this before, Zimmer peaked in the first half of the Saints playoff game. WIth a 17-0 lead he completely went into a shell and we were lucky to win the game to get to Philadelphia, where we were completely embarrassed. That vaunted defense gave up 37 points because they were completely unprepared to play. I think it was a preview of the 2018 season's Buffalo game: oppnents with a backup QB. What would Mike Zimmer do: play the most conservative of conservative game plans. Its Nick Foles (2017) and rookie Josh Allen (2018). Mike Zimmer runs the ball 80% of the time. But that is not what real modern NFL coaches do.

YOu can blame Cousins all you want, but in 2018 it was MIke Zimmer giving away victories.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:16 pm I never really liked Kirk Cousins that much, but I really look forward to the day that we put the whole discussion to bed.
You will dislike Cousins even more when the Vikings struggle to stop him during the Falcon game.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

witljon wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:52 pm
You will dislike Cousins even more when the Vikings struggle to stop him during the Falcon game.
If we struggle to stop him, I will dislike Flores for that.

Cousins is what he is. He torches bad defenses. If he torches us, that won’t speak well for Brian.

- Isaac Asimov
witljon

Post by witljon »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:20 pm

Cousins is what he is. He torches bad defenses. If he torches us, that won’t speak well for Brian.
I thought Cousins did pretty good against some of the best defenses in the league. The Chiefs, 49ers, and Packers come to mind. He would not keep getting paid what he is if he wasn’t pretty good
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

witljon wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:25 pm

I thought Cousins did pretty good against some of the best defenses in the league. The Chiefs, 49ers, and Packers come to mind.

Packers defense was average. 9ers was good. Chiefs was good. But the Vikings scored 22 and 20 points against those teams. Not exactly torched, wouldn’t you say?

- Isaac Asimov
witljon

Post by witljon »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:30 pm
witljon wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:25 pm

I thought Cousins did pretty good against some of the best defenses in the league. The Chiefs, 49ers, and Packers come to mind.

Packers defense was average. 9ers was good. Chiefs was good. But the Vikings scored 22 and 20 points against those teams. Not exactly torched, wouldn’t you say?
Oh, I guess he does suck.