Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Jaden McDaniels

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
weimy froob

Re: Jaden McDaniels

Post by weimy froob »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:06 am
UnFadeable21 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:57 am Still love the dog in him and his defense but this is why I didn’t want to extend him at the number we gave him

We should have let him him RFA. I wanted him at the Dillion brooks Herb Jones defender money around 60-80 million.

Jaden has a 120 million extension.
I'm of the belief the 120 million won't be an overpay. Finch has often praised Naz for getting his production without having a single design drawn up for him. That's great and all but isn't it possible to spur the growth of a player by figuring out ways to get them more involved? Naz started to really figure things out last year and it carried over to this year and continues to improve. Hoping to see the same thing from Jaden.
he kept trying to hit that three last night. bless his heart. he's 2 for his last 17 from beyond the arc. time to revert back to the mean for jaden.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

Gotta give Jaden some props for his effort in locking down PG last night. I just dont know where his offense went this month. With Kat and Monte out he needs to be an offensive go to guy.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:08 am
Jimi_Thing wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:06 am
UnFadeable21 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:57 am Still love the dog in him and his defense but this is why I didn’t want to extend him at the number we gave him

We should have let him him RFA. I wanted him at the Dillion brooks Herb Jones defender money around 60-80 million.

Jaden has a 120 million extension.
I'm of the belief the 120 million won't be an overpay. Finch has often praised Naz for getting his production without having a single design drawn up for him. That's great and all but isn't it possible to spur the growth of a player by figuring out ways to get them more involved? Naz started to really figure things out last year and it carried over to this year and continues to improve. Hoping to see the same thing from Jaden.
he kept trying to hit that three last night. bless his heart. he's 2 for his last 17 from beyond the arc. time to revert back to the mean for jaden.
Yeah. That's why I wish there were some wrinkles that could get him some easier looks/finishes at the rim. Get a couple easy buckets and all of a sudden that hoop gets a little bigger. Easier said than done though I'm sure.
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Abe Froman »

He's the only one on this roster who might actually kill someone. Something about that is appealing to me.
I made this!
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Abe Froman wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:42 pm He's the only one on this roster who might actually kill someone. Something about that is appealing to me.
I was hoping they'd add Marcus Morris SR so they had another one of these guys.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Abe Froman wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:42 pm He's the only one on this roster who might actually kill someone. Something about that is appealing to me.
You saw the pic in the GDT thread, right? Harden's scared shitless looking at that death stare.

There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:37 pm
You saw the pic in the GDT thread, right? Harden's scared shitless looking at that death stare.

Hope he can modify that look or he will scare his baby
My heart is family.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

James Harden is a funny looking man. He's got the look of some sort of Hindu god.

There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Abe Froman »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:01 pm James Harden is a funny looking man. He's got the look of some sort of Hindu god.

:lol:
I made this!
populousample

Post by populousample »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:44 pm
Meh, routine defensive play on a bad pass by the Clippers. (BTW Jaden was trying to pass that to Conley.)
somuchyummy beef supreme chat
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:01 pm James Harden is a funny looking man. He's got the look of some sort of Hindu god.
You must mean Buddha right?

(Sorry, this was a layup)
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

I do like that he’s got the dog in him and that he guards the toughest guy every night without complaining. That’s a big ask.

When you got a guy who can guard Jayson Tatum, it is special.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Post by ChrisPaulGeorgeHill »

I’m at that point where I’m in the trade McDaniels camp.

The money he’s going to be making from here on out isn’t worth his productivity (or lack thereof) on the court.

Very good defender.

But the defense provided by Jaden isn’t something worth paying at his number going forward, especially with his lackluster offensive productivity.

If we have to number crunch going forward, he’s most definitely the one I want traded first, even before KAT.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

ChrisPaulGeorgeHill wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:05 pm I’m at that point where I’m in the trade McDaniels camp.

The money he’s going to be making from here on out isn’t worth his productivity (or lack thereof) on the court.

Very good defender.

But the defense provided by Jaden isn’t something worth paying at his number going forward, especially with his lackluster offensive productivity.

If we have to number crunch going forward, he’s most definitely the one I want traded first, even before KAT.
And he's not playing D if he's riding the bench in foul trouble. Plus, we've had a few games where the opposing guards and wings have just gone OFF on us. And I wonder where's the exceptional D in those games? That seems to waver as well.
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Post by ChrisPaulGeorgeHill »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:12 pm
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:05 pm I’m at that point where I’m in the trade McDaniels camp.

Very good defender.

And he's not playing D if he's riding the bench in foul trouble. Plus, we've had a few games where the opposing guards and wings have just gone OFF on us. And I wonder where's the exceptional D in those games? That seems to waver as well.
I’m not a fan of his offensive game either.

Although he’s improved his handle, I still usually cringe when he puts the ball on the deck and drives to the rim. It seems he often turns it over or doesn’t seem to have a plan on what he wants to do.

I like his shooting from the corners but it seems most other avenues of scoring seem like he makes it look so difficult.

I think his confidence is a HUGE factor and I think we often overlook this. I’ve watched him for quite some time like others here and if you watch his body language it can be VERY telling. He often slumps his shoulders when he starts off the game with a few missed shots and usually never recovers for the rest of the game.

At an average of $27.2 million, I think we need to look for alternatives.
shuttlesworth

Post by shuttlesworth »

Man, it was unfathomable to me even two months ago that the Wolves would every consider trading McDaniels. But he's had a concerning year - stats down across the board even from last year, when he was expected to take a significant step forward.

The next month will be crucial for McDaniels with Towns out. The Wolves have a massive scoring hole to fill, and McDaniels will need to fill a big part of it as the starting wing. So far, he's shit the bed. But there are still a lot of games left, and everyone goes through shooting slumps (remember Towns's start to the season?). So he still has a big opportunity to prove himself. He needs to average something like 15-16 ppg over the next month to establish himself as a credible offensive threat. He has the talent to do it - he's shown flashes of being a three-level scorer with some decent isolation chops - it seems like mostly a mental game with him right now.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

I want to see more consistent shut downs from him as well. He's supposedly a drop dead in your tracks offensive star killer - but that's certainly not always happened. Often yes, and he's done great in a bunch of wins with great defensive performances. But there's still IMO too many cracks in the grate - and do those occasional shutdowns make up for his regular lack of offense? He's certainly not responsible for all of this - I'm not implying that. But if we have a giant killer top defender, why has this happened this season? Some of this certainly falls in his lap because that's what he's here to do and that's largely why he got the contract. A lot of these players are crazy good offensive talents - they aren't going to be stopped - but why are all of these performances ABOVE season averages?

Dejounte Murray 41
Kevin Durant 31
Tyrese Maxey 35
Joel Embiid 51
Julius Randle 39
Brandon Ingram 30
Steph Curry 38
Tim Hardaway Jr. 32
Anfernee Simons 34
Darius Garland 34
Kawhi Leonard 32
Malik Monk 39
Demar Derozan 33
Coby White 33
Miles Bridges 28
Brandon Miller 27
Jaylen Brown 35
Kyrie Irving 35
Zion Williamson 36, 27
Luka Doncic 34, 39
Jayson Tatum 45, 32
Giannis Antetokounmpo 33, 33
Jaren Jackson Jr. 36, 33
Devin Vassell 29, 25
Shai-Gilgeous Alexander 34, 37, 33, 32
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:59 pm I want to see more consistent shut downs from him as well. He's supposedly a drop dead in your tracks offensive star killer - but that's certainly not always happened. Often yes, and he's done great in a bunch of wins with great defensive performances. But there's still IMO too many cracks in the grate - and do those occasional shutdowns make up for his regular lack of offense? He's certainly not responsible for all of this - I'm not implying that. But if we have a giant killer top defender, why has this happened this season? Some of this certainly falls in his lap because that's what he's here to do and that's largely why he got the contract. A lot of these players are crazy good offensive talents - they aren't going to be stopped - but why are all of these performances ABOVE season averages?

Dejounte Murray 41
Kevin Durant 31
Tyrese Maxey 35
Joel Embiid 51
Julius Randle 39
Brandon Ingram 30
Steph Curry 38
Tim Hardaway Jr. 32
Anfernee Simons 34
Darius Garland 34
Kawhi Leonard 32
Malik Monk 39
Demar Derozan 33
Coby White 33
Miles Bridges 28
Brandon Miller 27
Jaylen Brown 35
Kyrie Irving 35
Zion Williamson 36, 27
Luka Doncic 34, 39
Jayson Tatum 45, 32
Jaren Jackson Jr. 36, 33
Devin Vassell 29, 25
Some of that lies at his feet, but are you really holding McDaniels accountable for Joel Embiid and Zion Williamson going off? Shai… Tatum… Monk… sure. But not enormous centers and massive PFs. That’s a little unfair.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:21 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:59 pm I want to see more consistent shut downs from him as well. He's supposedly a drop dead in your tracks offensive star killer - but that's certainly not always happened. Often yes, and he's done great in a bunch of wins with great defensive performances. But there's still IMO too many cracks in the grate - and do those occasional shutdowns make up for his regular lack of offense? He's certainly not responsible for all of this - I'm not implying that. But if we have a giant killer top defender, why has this happened this season? Some of this certainly falls in his lap because that's what he's here to do and that's largely why he got the contract. A lot of these players are crazy good offensive talents - they aren't going to be stopped - but why are all of these performances ABOVE season averages?

Dejounte Murray 41
Kevin Durant 31
Tyrese Maxey 35
Joel Embiid 51
Julius Randle 39
Brandon Ingram 30
Steph Curry 38
Tim Hardaway Jr. 32
Anfernee Simons 34
Darius Garland 34
Kawhi Leonard 32
Malik Monk 39
Demar Derozan 33
Coby White 33
Miles Bridges 28
Brandon Miller 27
Jaylen Brown 35
Kyrie Irving 35
Zion Williamson 36, 27
Luka Doncic 34, 39
Jayson Tatum 45, 32
Jaren Jackson Jr. 36, 33
Devin Vassell 29, 25
Some of that lies at his feet, but are you really holding McDaniels accountable for Joel Embiid and Zion Williamson going off? Shai… Tatum… Monk… sure. But not enormous centers and massive PFs. That’s a little unfair.
i think i mentioned that at the top. However, yeah, if you are paying a multi-positional 6-9 SF to be your ace defender - but he can't approach guarding Zion Williamson, then the plan is flawed.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:18 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:21 pm

Dejounte Murray 41
Kevin Durant 31
Tyrese Maxey 35
Joel Embiid 51
Julius Randle 39
Brandon Ingram 30
Steph Curry 38
Tim Hardaway Jr. 32
Anfernee Simons 34
Darius Garland 34
Kawhi Leonard 32
Malik Monk 39
Demar Derozan 33
Coby White 33
Miles Bridges 28
Brandon Miller 27
Jaylen Brown 35
Kyrie Irving 35
Zion Williamson 36, 27
Luka Doncic 34, 39
Jayson Tatum 45, 32
Jaren Jackson Jr. 36, 33
Devin Vassell 29, 25
i think i mentioned that at the top. However, yeah, if you are paying a multi-positional 6-9 SF to be your ace defender - but he can't approach guarding Zion Williamson, then the plan is flawed.
I agree. If you expect Jaden McDaniels to be able to guard Zion Williamson, then your plan is flawed.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

and all these legit gripes go away if he starts averaging 16-18 ppg. but facts is facts, we're 15 games away from the post-season, and Jaden is averaging 10.3/2.9/1.4 - and less than a steal and a block per game.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:25 pm and all these legit gripes go away if he starts averaging 16-18 ppg. but facts is facts, we're 15 games away from the post-season, and Jaden is averaging 10.3/2.9/1.4 - and less than a steal and a block per game.
it's the time he has to sit on the bench with foul trouble that is derailing his season/career. what's hard to imagine is if it'll ever get any better. he doesn't seem to be able figure it out. if he can stay on the court the numbers are going to go up with KAT's absence.
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

Jaden on fire 🔥
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

Buzzer beating three!
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Did someone say he's level headed?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

jaden stayed out of foul trouble in a game where he was needed on the floor. that was important. baby steps.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
brittrobson
@brittrobson
Ride the smallball. Even McDaniels has a lot of heart and that focus is going to matter the rest of the way
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:48 pm jaden stayed out of foul trouble in a game where he was needed on the floor. that was important. baby steps.
i'll give him credit for the easy layup he let Lauri have at the end of the half. that actually was smart to not risk it. he had two at the time - and that third before half could have been a wrench in the gears.
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »