Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Would you trade up for the #1 pick and what would it take?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
weimy froob

Re: Would you trade up for the #1 pick and what would it take?

Post by weimy froob »

D_H wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:27 pm
weimy froob wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:24 pm
D_H wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:17 pm

I googled scouting report on JJ McCarthy and here’s the first thing that showed up lol

Above-average toughness in the pocket; willing to take hits to get the ball out. — Skinny, sub-205-pound build that will invite injuries. — One-speed thrower with average arm talent. Often fails to add arc and touch when necessary, especially outside the numbers.

Comparing JJ McCarthy to Josh Allen was simply a ridiculous take by mlhouse. He’s clearly mistaken in his comparison. Josh Allen is 6 foot five 240 pounds with an absolute Cannon for an arm. I’m not sure what he’s thinking about???
the eye test tomorrow night. let's see how everyone feels about the potential choice after that game.
Yeah, but comparing JJ McCarthy, who is skinny with a bad arm to Josh Allen who is 6-5 240 with a rocket arm is absolutely a ridiculous take.
i haven't seen "bad arm". in the scouting report i posted in one of the threads it was anything but that with his throws to the outside. you might have read the wrong scouting report. let's use the eye test tomorrow and see what we think.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:29 pm
mlhouse wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:26 pm
weimy froob wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:11 pm i'd take mccarthy over penix just because of the injury history. i've watched little of both of them--but if you''re suffering injuries like that in college ball what's going to happen when you're in the NFL? but mlhouse they can't miss on that pick if that's what they do. job killers if they do.
Again, if selecting NFL QBs in the draft was easy, then everything will be fine.

I prefer to sign veteran FA QBs like Kirk Cousins. That was a golden opportunity and I think the Vikings mostly blew it with Mike Zimmer as the HC for most of Cousins' tenure with the team. Zimmer single handedly cost them playoff opportunity in 2018, throwing away several wins. We had a 100+ catch receiving duo in Thielen and Diggs (btw, Stefon Diggs now has 4 consecutive 100+ catch seasons, with 5 100+ catch seasons in the last 6 seasons), Kyle Rudolph at TE, and Dalvin Cook (until he was hurt).

I agree that this is the opportunity to find a future franchise level QB sitting at #11 in a draft that could have 6 quarterbacks selected in the first round.

What you say about the can't miss is why I would be reluctant to make any violent moves up the draft board surrendering future picks. IN this draft I would prefer to sit at 11 and take the QB available, although I am not fixed to that position as of yet. Plus, to move up for a guy like Jayden Daniels I would need to know that my coach is committed to structuring the offense around Daniels, not forcing Daniels into the same offense that Kirk Cousins plays (which he basically did for Josh Dobbs).

One note, which I have said many times, to those who still rue the day we did not draft Lamar Jackson. How successful do you think he would have been with Mike Zimmer as the head coach? Zimmer is a guy who started Olibisi Johnson the first two games of 2020 ahead of Justin Jefferson, Justin Jefferson's rookie season and only managed to target him 6 times in the first two games until he broke out in game 3. When do you think Lamar Jackson sees the field with ZImmer as the coach? Year 3? DO you think ZImmer gives a shit about a rookie "dual threat" QB and changes to that style of offense? HELL NO. I doubt Jackson makes it through his rookie contract if MInnesota would have drafted him.
pure speculation on jackson/zimmer. he went with teddy--he'd have gone with jackson in year two for sure.
It isn't specualtion at all. There is no way Zimmer sets up an offense with the quarterback running the football 150 times or more in a season. Never in a million years. If you put Lamar in the Bridgewater offense, he SUCKS. HE is terrible.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:31 pm

the eye test tomorrow night. let's see how everyone feels about the potential choice after that game.
Yeah, but comparing JJ McCarthy, who is skinny with a bad arm to Josh Allen who is 6-5 240 with a rocket arm is absolutely a ridiculous take.
i haven't seen "bad arm". in the scouting report i posted in one of the threads it was anything but that with his throws to the outside. you might have read the wrong scouting report. let's use the eye test tomorrow and see what we think.
I agree Weimy...it will be a wonderful opportunity to contrast and compare the two tomorrow under the brightest spotlight!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
witljon

Post by witljon »

It’d be a better eye test if Michigan threw a little more.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:32 pm
mlhouse wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:26 pm

Again, if selecting NFL QBs in the draft was easy, then everything will be fine.

I prefer to sign veteran FA QBs like Kirk Cousins. That was a golden opportunity and I think the Vikings mostly blew it with Mike Zimmer as the HC for most of Cousins' tenure with the team. Zimmer single handedly cost them playoff opportunity in 2018, throwing away several wins. We had a 100+ catch receiving duo in Thielen and Diggs (btw, Stefon Diggs now has 4 consecutive 100+ catch seasons, with 5 100+ catch seasons in the last 6 seasons), Kyle Rudolph at TE, and Dalvin Cook (until he was hurt).

I agree that this is the opportunity to find a future franchise level QB sitting at #11 in a draft that could have 6 quarterbacks selected in the first round.

What you say about the can't miss is why I would be reluctant to make any violent moves up the draft board surrendering future picks. IN this draft I would prefer to sit at 11 and take the QB available, although I am not fixed to that position as of yet. Plus, to move up for a guy like Jayden Daniels I would need to know that my coach is committed to structuring the offense around Daniels, not forcing Daniels into the same offense that Kirk Cousins plays (which he basically did for Josh Dobbs).

One note, which I have said many times, to those who still rue the day we did not draft Lamar Jackson. How successful do you think he would have been with Mike Zimmer as the head coach? Zimmer is a guy who started Olibisi Johnson the first two games of 2020 ahead of Justin Jefferson, Justin Jefferson's rookie season and only managed to target him 6 times in the first two games until he broke out in game 3. When do you think Lamar Jackson sees the field with ZImmer as the coach? Year 3? DO you think ZImmer gives a shit about a rookie "dual threat" QB and changes to that style of offense? HELL NO. I doubt Jackson makes it through his rookie contract if MInnesota would have drafted him.
pure speculation on jackson/zimmer. he went with teddy--he'd have gone with jackson in year two for sure.
It isn't specualtion at all. There is no way Zimmer sets up an offense with the quarterback running the football 150 times or more in a season. Never in a million years. If you put Lamar in the Bridgewater offense, he SUCKS. HE is terrible.
:lol: i remember watching lamar in the playoff game against the chargers when they said he couldn't throw the ball. you could still see that he had that "it" factor on the passes he did complete and his feet. i think they would've figured something out. he wouldn't have been "terrible".
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:39 pm

:lol: i remember watching lamar in the playoff game against the chargers when they said he couldn't throw the ball. you could still see that he had that "it" factor on the passes he did complete and his feet. i think they would've figured something out. he wouldn't have been "terrible".
Mike Zimmer's coaching staff would have never figured it out.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Congratulations on 84,000 posts Weimy!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

witljon wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:37 pm

let's just see what we see and then there can be more talk. he's already got a head start in the way i'm thinking because he's got healthy knees. whoever takes penix is taking a big risk because of that.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hornets wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:41 pm

:thumbsup: thanks. i had to look over to check it out myself. 100K might be in the future.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:44 pm

:thumbsup: thanks. i had to look over to check it out myself. 100K might be in the future.
I'm making my way to 50,000!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hornets wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:46 pm

that's a lot too. wait until baseball season and the posts go up pretty good. btw, the twins season was a funner one than the vikings this year. you should be as excited for that next one as you were for this vikings one. :lol:
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:48 pm
Hornets wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:46 pm

that's a lot too. wait until baseball season and the posts go up pretty good. btw, the twins season was a funner one than the vikings this year. you should be as excited for that next one as you were for this vikings one. :lol:
:lol:
witljon

Post by witljon »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:42 pm

let's just see what we see and then there can be more talk. he's already got a head start in the way i'm thinking because he's got healthy knees. whoever takes penix is taking a big risk because of that.
When talking eye test, I’m taking Penix over McCarthy. I’ve seen Penix in at least 4 games and McCarthy in 3 games.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

witljon wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:04 pm

When talking eye test, I’m taking Penix over McCarthy. I’ve seen Penix in at least 4 games and McCarthy in 3 games.
all prelude to tomorrow night. new opinions could be formed. old opinions could be solidified.
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

Trading up when you have as many weak spots as we do on the roster is crazy. There is zero chance we do it and if we do there is only a very slim chance it works
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

PurpleFloyd wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:03 pm Trading up when you have as many weak spots as we do on the roster is crazy. There is zero chance we do it and if we do there is only a very slim chance it works
Plus kwesi has a fondness for short term solutions. If they resign cousins, I sense he will draft a position other than QB.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Obi-Wan wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:00 am
PurpleFloyd wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:03 pm Trading up when you have as many weak spots as we do on the roster is crazy. There is zero chance we do it and if we do there is only a very slim chance it works
Plus kwesi has a fondness for short term solutions. If they resign cousins, I sense he will draft a position other than QB.
There will be a few veteran QBs moving to new teams. That list could include Ryan Tannehill, Russell Wilson, Justin Fields, and Kirk Cousins.
witljon

Post by witljon »

I think the first 3 picks will be QBs . And the first 3 teams picking will not be trading their picks. The Bears will more than likely pick Caleb Williams. The Redskins will take Drake Maye. And the Patriots will take Jayden Daniels. So that reduces the QB pool to Penix, McCarthy, and Nix. They might be too big a gamble to trade up for the expense it takes to move up.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Above-average toughness in the pocket; willing to take hits to get the ball out. — Skinny, sub-205-pound build that will invite injuries. — One-speed thrower with average arm talent. Often fails to add arc and touch when necessary, especially outside the numbers.
D_H

Post by D_H »

witljon wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:04 pm

No comparison really
witljon

Post by witljon »

Now that college football season is over, do/should we trade up, down, or sit tight?
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Obi-Wan wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:00 am
There’s only 3 guys at QB who are bona fide 1st rounders. Anybody after that drafted in the 1st will be a massive over reach.
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

witljon wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:59 pm
You trade up to get the best franchise QB as possible and attempt to filled the weak areas in the FA

Now that college football season is over, do/should we trade up, down, or sit tight?
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

cdr2529 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:50 pm
You trade up to get the best franchise QB possible and attempt to fill the weak areas in the FA

cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

To continue with this cousin nonsense is doing not to build a contender, people are acting like cousin has not been here for the last four to five years and we still are not a true contender
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

You trade up to get the best franchise QB as possible and attempt to filled the weak areas in the FA

It's going to take multiple years to retool this, so you shouldn't be afraid to worry about short term impacts if you think you can make a move that will have a bigger impact in the future.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
witljon

Post by witljon »

cdr2529 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:52 pm To continue with this cousin nonsense is doing not to build a contender, people are acting like cousin has not been here for the last four to five years and we still are not a true contender
Has Cousins failed the Vikings or have the Vikings failed Cousins?
witljon

Post by witljon »

Oriole81 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:05 pm
witljon wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:59 pm You trade up to get the best franchise QB as possible and attempt to filled the weak areas in the FA

It's going to take multiple years to retool this, so you shouldn't be afraid to worry about short term impacts if you think you can make a move that will have a bigger impact in the future.
The problem the Vikings are going to face is the first 3 teams picking won’t be interested in trading because they all want to draft a QB. Then we’re looking at QB prospects that probably will not be as good as Cousins. And we already have Mullens.
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

witljon wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:20 pm
cdr2529 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:52 pm To continue with this cousin nonsense is doing not to build a contender, people are acting like cousin has not been here for the last four to five years and we still are not a true contender
Has Cousins failed the Vikings or have the Vikings failed Cousins?
Cousin failed the Vikings! When they had a better team Cousin still counted on getting the job done and you know why because he's just a little bit above average qb who can not scramble and get out of the pocket.
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

witljon wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:37 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:05 pm
The problem the Vikings are going to face is the first 3 teams picking won’t be interested in trading because they all want to draft a QB. Then we’re looking at QB prospects that probably will not be as good as Cousins. And we already have Mullens.
Mullen and cousin must be relatives of yours because neither are them is good and Mullen is mediocrity and that is putting it mildly.