Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Early Vikings 2024 Mock Draft

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: Early Vikings 2024 Mock Draft

Post by HeHateMe »

Hornets wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:00 pm A thank you to those of you who do the research and post interesting and informative mock drafts and other newsworthy NFL items!
Hey Gus, glad your friend Douglas returned!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:02 pm
weimy froob wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:49 am
Sarge wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:41 am Saw a stat that the Vikes were dead last in interior D-Line pass rush win rate at around 8%.
i can believe it. everybody can talk about the QB--but the defensive play the last two weeks makes me think that the talk of how improved it is over last year is a little overblown. looked pretty much like last year's defense to me sunday night and in the game against the loins. two division rivals on their home field.
Wouldn't surprise me if they just burned out.
They've been carrying the team most of the season, and using maximum effort/scheme to mask talent deficiencies, and that can only go so far before guys just start bottoming out.

A valiant effort indeed though.
I’m sure there’s something to this. There’s less talent on this years defense than last years. They’ve been overachieving all year. I said that eventually a team with good offensive skill position guys and a clever OC would find the cracks and exploit them. I think that Cincinnati did that and teams have been copying it. If you have enough talent, you can beat a talent poor defense even with the best scheme and coaching.

Here’s the recipe: Double-team Hunter and don’t be reckless downfield at the safeties. Be patient. Run the ball and pass short and quick.

This defense is low on talent and designed to support an explosive offense. Imagine teams having to abandon the run to keep pace with a high-powered offense and letting Flores cook on more advantageous pass-rushing situations. It would be a lot better. That was the plan. The offense was asset-stacked. The defense was mostly journeymen and mid-late round picks on their rookie deals. It is what it is.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:51 pm

i can believe it. everybody can talk about the QB--but the defensive play the last two weeks makes me think that the talk of how improved it is over last year is a little overblown. looked pretty much like last year's defense to me sunday night and in the game against the loins. two division rivals on their home field.
They've been carrying the team most of the season, and using maximum effort/scheme to mask talent deficiencies, and that can only go so far before guys just start bottoming out.

I’m sure there’s something to this. There’s less talent on this years defense than last years. They’ve been overachieving all year. I said that eventually a team with good offensive skill position guys and a clever OC would find the cracks and exploit them. I think that Cincinnati did that and teams have been copying it. If you have enough talent, you can beat a talent poor defense even with the best scheme and coaching.

Here’s the recipe: Double-team Hunter and don’t be reckless downfield at the safeties. Be patient. Run the ball and pass short and quick.

This defense is low on talent and designed to support an explosive offense. Imagine teams having to abandon the run to keep pace with a high-powered offense and letting Flores cook on more advantageous pass-rushing situations. It would be a lot better. That was the plan. The offense was asset-stacked. The defense was mostly journeymen and mid-late round picks on their rookie deals. It is what it is.
Yep - all this makes sense... and I would add to this that once a player starts sniffing out that the end is neigh, it only makes sense to be conscious with "business decisions" if you are an established guy (especially with a contract to come next season).
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the run has always been there if the teams were patient enough to do it. that's how you slow down high octane offenses anyways. by the end of the season everything collapsed.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

minnemike wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:59 pm

Yep - all this makes sense... and I would add to this that once a player starts sniffing out that the end is neigh, it only makes sense to be conscious with "business decisions" if you are an established guy (especially with a contract to come next season).
Like Danielle Hunter.

- Isaac Asimov
witljon

Post by witljon »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:53 pm These are stupid and premature, but I did one too:

1 Jayden Daniels QB LSU - Unlikely he'll actually be there at 12, but if he is swing for the fence.

2 T'Vondre Sweat DT Texas - This guy might be a 2-down guy in the NFL, but he's the massive space-eater inside that we need.
I agree that it’s too early for mock drafts, but I do like your first 2 picks. Monday after the regular season, should be the start of the draft talk because then we will know the draft order. At least the speculation will/should be more accurate. The Vikings need a home run draft. And it looks like a strong draft after what I consider the last 2 drafts as weak. I hope to watch the combine
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

witljon wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:02 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:53 pm These are stupid and premature, but I did one too:

1 Jayden Daniels QB LSU - Unlikely he'll actually be there at 12, but if he is swing for the fence.

2 T'Vondre Sweat DT Texas - This guy might be a 2-down guy in the NFL, but he's the massive space-eater inside that we need.
I agree that it’s too early for mock drafts, but I do like your first 2 picks. Monday after the regular season, should be the start of the draft talk because then we will know the draft order. At least the speculation will/should be more accurate. The Vikings need a home run draft. And it looks like a strong draft after what I consider the last 2 drafts as weak. I hope to watch the combine
Fantastic at QB. Strong at DL. Strong at EDGE (though I don’t think it’s deep). Weak at off-ball LB. So-so at corner and safety. Strong at TE. Strong at WR. Solid at OL. Weak at RB (decent depth).

That’s my fairly uninformed too-early opinion.

- Isaac Asimov
witljon

Post by witljon »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:32 pm

Fantastic at QB. Strong at DL. Strong at EDGE (though I don’t think it’s deep). Weak at off-ball LB. So-so at corner and safety. Strong at TE. Strong at WR. Solid at OL. Weak at RB (decent depth).

I don’t remember who said it, but the last draft most teams only had 12-15 prospects with 1st round grades and 20-40 with 2nd round grades. I don’t know if that’s a typical year or not.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

witljon wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:33 pm

I don’t remember who said it, but the last draft most teams only had 12-15 prospects with 1st round grades and 20-40 with 2nd round grades. I don’t know if that’s a typical year or not.
You would have to imagine a typical year has 32 1st round talents and 32 second round talents.

If that is not your assessment, your view of a first-round talent is skewed.

- Isaac Asimov
witljon

Post by witljon »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:36 pm

You would have to imagine a typical year has 32 1st round talents and 32 second round talents.

I don’t think that’s how they do it. They put grades on them.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

witljon wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:03 pm

That's really dumb. How else would you define a first round talent other than a player who would go in the first round of a typical draft? The definition is self-evident.

There is a lot of variance in talent within the first round. Not all 32 players are what are frequently called "blue chip" talent or "franchise players" etc. But that's not what the first round is. The first round is 32 players. By definition on an average/typical year, the 32nd player is a first round talent. That is simply the logical baseline of the term.

- Isaac Asimov
witljon

Post by witljon »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:12 pm
witljon wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:03 pm

That's really dumb. How else would you define a first round talent other than a player who would go in the first round of a typical draft? The definition is self-evident.

There is a lot of variance in talent within the first round. Not all 32 players are what are frequently called "blue chip" talent or "franchise players" etc. But that's not what the first round is. The first round is 32 players. By definition on an average/typical year, the 32nd player is a first round talent. That is simply the logical baseline of the term.
Never mind.
Hector

Post by Hector »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:05 pm

the run has always been there if the teams were patient enough to do it. that's how you slow down high octane offenses anyways. by the end of the season everything collapsed.
The defense was on the field a lot the last couple of games, not good this time if year.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:25 pm

But then what's the expectation?
With that much firepower, we should be a Top 3 offense that blows the door off of other teams, and the defense only has to be good enough to hold off.

That wasn't the case though even before the injuries started happening.

I have no problem ever from a philosophy standpoint, as long as it gets you to the right place.
But if you're going to invest so much in one side of the ball, then that side needs to be your identity.
There were a lot of issues, especially early in the season driven mostly by bad turnovers. I was going to make a post about my analysis of the problems in the VIkings offense going forward.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:20 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:25 pm

But then what's the expectation?
With that much firepower, we should be a Top 3 offense that blows the door off of other teams, and the defense only has to be good enough to hold off.

That wasn't the case though even before the injuries started happening.

I have no problem ever from a philosophy standpoint, as long as it gets you to the right place.
But if you're going to invest so much in one side of the ball, then that side needs to be your identity.
There were a lot of issues, especially early in the season driven mostly by bad turnovers. I was going to make a post about my analysis of the problems in the VIkings offense going forward.
Long term I meant.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Vikings Wire
2024 NFL mock draft: Flurry of QBs at the top; offense dominates late

11. Minnesota Vikings: Penn State OT Olumuyiwa Fashanu

This is somewhat of a nightmare scenario for the Minnesota Vikings. Four of the top quarterbacks have been taken in the top 10, leaving them without the option to get a first-round QB in-house to serve as the heir apparent to Kirk Cousins — whether that’s immediately or after another year or two.

Additionally, Brock Bowers is also off the board, eliminating the possibility of Minnesota bringing in the talented tight end to serve as an insurance plan against T.J. Hockenson not being ready to go to start the season. While many mock drafters have the Vikings going with strengthening the defense in this scenario, I’m taking things in a different direction.

The Vikings offensive line was the subject of a lot of criticism throughout the 2023 season. Some of it justified, some of it not. The group as a collective didn’t play as poorly as some may think, but there is a lot of room for improvement in both pass protection and run blocking. Both of those can be improved immediately by taking Penn State offensive lineman Olumuyiwa Fashanu.

Had Fashanu come out last season, he likely would have been the first offensive lineman off the board. Now, he serves as the third, and yet he still might be the best of the entire group. Minnesota could do a lot worse making the best of a bad situation here.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/2024-nfl-m ... 01897.html
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:04 am Vikings Wire

This is somewhat of a nightmare scenario for the Minnesota Vikings. Four of the top quarterbacks have been taken in the top 10, leaving them without the option to get a first-round QB in-house to serve as the heir apparent to Kirk Cousins — whether that’s immediately or after another year or two.

Additionally, Brock Bowers is also off the board, eliminating the possibility of Minnesota bringing in the talented tight end to serve as an insurance plan against T.J. Hockenson not being ready to go to start the season. While many mock drafters have the Vikings going with strengthening the defense in this scenario, I’m taking things in a different direction.

The Vikings offensive line was the subject of a lot of criticism throughout the 2023 season. Some of it justified, some of it not. The group as a collective didn’t play as poorly as some may think, but there is a lot of room for improvement in both pass protection and run blocking. Both of those can be improved immediately by taking Penn State offensive lineman Olumuyiwa Fashanu.

Had Fashanu come out last season, he likely would have been the first offensive lineman off the board. Now, he serves as the third, and yet he still might be the best of the entire group. Minnesota could do a lot worse making the best of a bad situation here.

I think that's a little dramatic.

If 10 offensive players go to start, then you get your choice of the #1 defensive player on your board. That's never a bad thing.
You can't tell me that Fashanu falls all the way down to OT4, but then he is also hands down the best available player by far.
You take the defensive player here.

No trades as well in this mock I see, so obviously there would be an option as well to trade down in real life for a team that really wants Fashanu.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
salamander

Post by salamander »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:53 pm

I don't know if I responded to this but I saw it in a reply. This is literally my dream draft.
I will orgasm all over this site if this happens (like I did with Dobbs those first two weeks).
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:13 am

If 10 offensive players go to start, then you get your choice of the #1 defensive player on your board. That's never a bad thing.
You can't tell me that Fashanu falls all the way down to OT4, but then he is also hands down the best available player by far.

No trades as well in this mock I see, so obviously there would be an option as well to trade down in real life for a team that really wants Fashanu.
The top 3 are pretty much as I would expect. I cannot see the 2024 draft going in any other direction, although the team at the top might be different from the Bears (i.e. Atlanta). And I do not think that teams at #2 or # 3 will be willing to trade out of those spots.

However, I cannot see at this time a pro team taking Michael Pennix in the top 10. He just has too many mechanical problems to take him that high. I think professional scouts would rate McCarthy as the QB4 in this draft.

One guy I cannot see being a first round pick is OL Graham Barton from Duke. He is #26 in this mock. I have to admit I have only watched one game of his and he was terrible. He literally held on every play. Bad, obvious holding calls. He would project to move inside from playing LT at Duke but I am not spending a first round pick on that. Maybe there is better tape, but again, I only watch the games agaisnt their best competition. Watching him play against Coastal Carolina, just to use an example is a waste of time.

It was the same with Pennix. He really put up the stats against west coast teams with shoddy defenses. But, when he played in the NATTY against a top end Big Ten defense his flaws were really highlighted. He regressed to his level (perhaps below) when he was an actual Big Ten QB at Indiana. I think Bo Nix is in this same category, although his throwing mechanics, arm strength, and mobility are bettre than Pennix.

I cannot see the VIkings investing in an offensive tackle with a top-15 pick in this draft. Although I do not think our tackles played 100% this year, that is not the weakness of our offensive line. Maybe you could move him inside for a year or so, let one of the current starters walk, and kick him outside with NFL experience but that is a lot to invest in that plan.

If the draft went this way: we are locked out of trading for a top 3 QB or they do not fall, and they do not think McCarthy is a top 15 level pick, select the defensive lineman you like best. Hopefully Flores would be our dCoordinator at the time of the draft to guide that selection. Or if they like the top corner go that direction.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:13 am

There is as much chance of them taking OT in 1st as there is taking a wr and there is as much chance Oriole is drafted in first as there is a wr is by this team. Where do people come up with this shit?
WayneVikes

Post by WayneVikes »

Our last three Quarterbacks have been Bradford, Keenum, and Cousins. It's time to get serious at QB ladies and gents. Go get a guy who can put us in the serious contenders conversation on a yearly basis. Period
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

WayneVikes wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:51 pm Our last three Quarterbacks have been Bradford, Keenum, and Cousins. It's time to get serious at QB ladies and gents. Go get a guy who can put us in the serious contenders conversation on a yearly basis. Period
Why the FUCK hasn't anyone ever thought of this god damn before? Wayne has hit the jackpot on just his 28th post in the forum!!!! I cannot believe that Kevin OConnell and Kwesi, all of their coaches and scouts, along with their personnel guys, and even the fans have never thought of this before. It is SO damn easy to do why did it take Wayne to figure it out.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i'm glad someone finally did. can someone link this thread up to TCO headquarters? thanks in advance.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Vikings Wire
Vikings select star DT in surprising Daniel Jeremiah mock draft

The Minnesota Vikings are an interesting team to draft for in 2024 NFL mock drafts. They have needs all over that could be justified with a first round pick. One of those is defensive tackle and that is the direction that NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah went in his first mock draft of the cycle.

At the 11th overall pick, the Minnesota Vikings selected Texas defensive tackle Byron Murphy II. Not only is he a talented player, but the Vikings would have two Byron Murphy’s on their roster. Here is what Jeremiah had to say about Murphy’s selection.

I believe Murphy is the top defensive tackle in the class. The Vikings need to add more firepower up front.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/vikings-se ... 07499.html
witljon

Post by witljon »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:15 pm
WayneVikes wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:51 pm Our last three Quarterbacks have been Bradford, Keenum, and Cousins. It's time to get serious at QB ladies and gents. Go get a guy who can put us in the serious contenders conversation on a yearly basis. Period
Why the FUCK hasn't anyone ever thought of this god damn before? Wayne has hit the jackpot on just his 28th post in the forum!!!! I cannot believe that Kevin OConnell and Kwesi, all of their coaches and scouts, along with their personnel guys, and even the fans have never thought of this before. It is SO damn easy to do why did it take Wayne to figure it out.
Well, he obviously took the time to think of this thing through.