Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Turd Taylor Out As Majority Owner

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
flexbuffchest

Re: Turd Taylor Out As Majority Owner

Post by flexbuffchest »

A$$MAN wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:33 pm
aztimberwolves wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:53 pm
Jimi_Thing wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:36 pm

Coach Finch, Ant, Kat, Naz, and Jaden isn’t a solid foundation? Seriously?

Edit: All the above were here before ARod graced us with his presence.
it laughable that you have KAT on the is list when most of the homers on here were wanting to trade him for peanuts at the start of the year.

And having all those guys on the roster, what was their ceiling? The play in game the last 2 years to missing the playoffs. Yet you guys want us to believe it’s just coincidence that as soon as Arod and Lore got here and installed a competent management structure, that the product on the court improved as well. Coincidence??? That a dumpster fire of an organization and the butt of jokes somehow just turned course overnight and it had nothing to do with Lore and Arod?? Laughable/

Yea let’s keep thinking that Taylor who has held the worst winning percentage for awhile in all 4 major sports somehow woke up one day and learned how to actually run a sports franchise. Keep stocking your head n the sands. You Taylor Turd backers are the epitome of insanity. Keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. The in 10 years when we are the middle of our 133rd rebuild under Taylor, possibly you might all wake up and realize want a complete waste Taylor is.
Everyone in here worried about WHO the owner is probably can't even name more than 5 current owners in the league. That's because it doesn't fucking matter IF they hire competent people and get the fuck out of the way. I would much rather have great players, coach and GM than a kick ass owner.

This is NOT a pro-Taylor post, but has everyone forgotten the string of 50 win seasons we put together (with Taylor as owner) in the early 2000's? And what did that team have? That's right, a future hall of famer. This is a players league, plain and simple. You can win with a dumbfuck owner if you have the player(s).

Those giving credit to Lore and ARod for our rise to the top...sorry, this all comes down to Ant and his continued rise to stardom. Ant is probably the biggest reason for Connelly taking the job; not ARod, Lore or whomever else you want to give credit to.
I doubt this is true at all. Connelly left a championship contending team with a young MVP to come here. He did not come here because of Ant.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
T_J

Post by T_J »

Glen absolutely has sellers remorse and has said as much publicly. Look at what he said in October 2023
“I think they’ll push back [the deadline],” Taylor said. “I ask them if they’re set and if they got everything and they say they do, so I take them for their word. It doesn’t make much difference to me if it’s December, March or July. I’m going to keep doing what I’m doing. We’re pretty well set for this year.”
He did not give a shit about selling 6 months ago and was fine with these extensions because he didn’t know the team be this good. He said as much about that too. “Oh we’re good now and I want to be a part of it.” (Paraphrasing)

This dude is a scumbag!! You get beat up for this type of shit on the playground.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

aztimberwolves wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:07 pm
A$$MAN wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:05 pm
aztimberwolves wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:00 pm

Fair enough. But it drives me nuts to hear that he’s paid for teams and is a willing spender. Yeah on one squad over 20 years ago he did. But since then….no he’s proven to be miserly as fuck.

Everybody acts like Lore and Arod are poor. According to Forbes Taylor is worth 2.8 bil and lore is 2.2 bil. A bit of a difference but not huge. Add on Arod 400m net worth and it’s equal. Plus all the minor owners. I am skeptical of that report that they want payroll slashed when they have signed off on extensions for Mcdaniels and Edwards. It just doesn’t add up. Sounds like a story planted by Skinflint to sway public opinion his way.

I just hope we get a quick resolution to this by the arbitrator and this won’t set us back this offseason and limiting what we can do in the offseason
And again like I already said, it appears that ARod fucked this all up. Why is Lore wasting his time partnering with him? That seems like the real mistake in all of this.
How did Arod fuck it up? I might have missed something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4VFmZyNso0&t=2s
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:11 am
aztimberwolves wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:53 pm

it laughable that you have KAT on the is list when most of the homers on here were wanting to trade him for peanuts at the start of the year.

And having all those guys on the roster, what was their ceiling? The play in game the last 2 years to missing the playoffs. Yet you guys want us to believe it’s just coincidence that as soon as Arod and Lore got here and installed a competent management structure, that the product on the court improved as well. Coincidence??? That a dumpster fire of an organization and the butt of jokes somehow just turned course overnight and it had nothing to do with Lore and Arod?? Laughable/

Yea let’s keep thinking that Taylor who has held the worst winning percentage for awhile in all 4 major sports somehow woke up one day and learned how to actually run a sports franchise. Keep stocking your head n the sands. You Taylor Turd backers are the epitome of insanity. Keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. The in 10 years when we are the middle of our 133rd rebuild under Taylor, possibly you might all wake up and realize want a complete waste Taylor is.
Everyone in here worried about WHO the owner is probably can't even name more than 5 current owners in the league. That's because it doesn't fucking matter IF they hire competent people and get the fuck out of the way. I would much rather have great players, coach and GM than a kick ass owner.

This is NOT a pro-Taylor post, but has everyone forgotten the string of 50 win seasons we put together (with Taylor as owner) in the early 2000's? And what did that team have? That's right, a future hall of famer. This is a players league, plain and simple. You can win with a dumbfuck owner if you have the player(s).

Those giving credit to Lore and ARod for our rise to the top...sorry, this all comes down to Ant and his continued rise to stardom. Ant is probably the biggest reason for Connelly taking the job; not ARod, Lore or whomever else you want to give credit to.
I doubt this is true at all. Connelly left a championship contending team with a young MVP to come here. He did not come here because of Ant.
This. He also wouldn't have an opt out after this year if he came just for Ant.

Maybe the team was enticing, but ARod/Lore do get credit for bringing him in.
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

OliverMiller wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:05 am

I just don't but this...so you're saying Connelly left Denver just to work with ARod and Lore? Leave a championship team you built to work with two guys that have never owned a professional sports team? That sounds even less likely than moving to a team with an up and coming superstar...and of course the money.

I maintain that if you want Connelly, just pay the guy. I don't buy he's so loyal to ARod and Lore he's going to turn it down. What happens if ARod and Lore don't ever get a team? Connelly just going to call it quits?

This whole loyalty to those two is ridiculous.
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

And the opt out is just good business and a negotiation tactic. If the team blows up and you get the credit, you now have leverage for a massive raise. If the team sucks and your moves don't work out, oh well, you still have X number of years on your contract.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

A$$MAN wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:34 am

And the opt out is just good business and a negotiation tactic. If the team blows up and you get the credit, you now have leverage for a massive raise. If the team sucks and your moves don't work out, oh well, you still have X number of years on your contract.
I don't know, the timing of the opt makes it pretty obvious to me.

And no one is saying he came here to work with A-Rod/Lore. But like it's been stated, he had the best player in the league and was on the brink of a championship. Part of the reason was Ant and the core. The other part was the pay/potential ownership stake.

It's a move Taylor would have never made or even thought to make. Doogie, who basically does Taylor's bidding, has even said as much.
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

OliverMiller wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:39 am

And no one is saying he came here to work with A-Rod/Lore. But like it's been stated, he had the best player in the league and was on the brink of a championship. Part of the reason was Ant and the core. The other part was the pay/potential ownership stake.

It's a move Taylor would have never made or even thought to make. Doogie, who basically does Taylor's bidding, has even said as much.
So, again, it's the roster and the money/contract...not ARod and Lore. Whether those guys are here or not, if you want Connelly simply pay the guy. It's that easy.

I agree that Glen is a fucking moron and I hate how he runs his business...country club bullshit and all. But it can't be stated that Connelly is here because of ARod and Lore. Sure they had the foresight to bring him in, but Taylor ultimately signed off and paid him. Connelly is not tied to those two...no way he's saying if they go, I go.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

A$$MAN wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:48 am

So, again, it's the roster and the money/contract...not ARod and Lore. Whether those guys are here or not, if you want Connelly simply pay the guy. It's that easy.

I agree that Glen is a fucking moron and I hate how he runs his business...country club bullshit and all. But it can't be stated that Connelly is here because of ARod and Lore. Sure they had the foresight to bring him in, but Taylor ultimately signed off and paid him. Connelly is not tied to those two...no way he's saying if they go, I go.
Maybe, maybe not.

Taylor's level of disfunction isn't a secret, and I would imagine a guy that's been in the same division for over a decade now knows it much better than we even do.

He may not have come here to work with ARod/Lore, but there's a good chance he wouldn't be here if he knew he had to work with Taylor long term.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

It absolutely CAN be stated he’s here because of Arod Lore. They targeted the guy they wanted to run their franchise and paid him as much. They are 100 percent responsible he’s here. Taylor alone would have never paid a guy like that. Conelly is here due to those guys Yeah other factors as well but it was them that pursued him and paid him as much as they did/
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

aztimberwolves wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:55 am

It absolutely CAN be stated he’s here because of Arod Lore. They targeted the guy they wanted to run their franchise and paid him as much. They are 100 percent responsible he’s here. Taylor alone would have never paid a guy like that. Conelly is here due to those guys Yeah other factors as well but it was them that pursued him and paid him as much as they did/
ARod and Lore didn't pay anyone. Taylor did.
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

A$$MAN wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:57 am

And a few years ago Taylor did just pay an extremely high profile guy that was coveted by multiple teams...remember Thibs?

That was followed up with another move that was highly praised when he hired Rosas.

If you want Connelly to stay, pay him and let him do his job. Simple as that. That will have nothing to do with ARod and Lore being here.
Lightning
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by Lightning »

Nobody but Glen Taylor was going to give Thibs both HC and PBO. That was a classic crypt keeper blunder.
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

Lightning wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:07 am Nobody but Glen Taylor was going to give Thibs both HC and PBO. That was a classic crypt keeper blunder.
Doesn't change the fact he brought him in...a guy was identified and he paid for him. Many people praised the higher and if Taylor would have let him go because of the POBO, then he would have been called a cheap bastard that wasn't willing to spend.

The same could be said about Connelly. Just last year he was getting blasted and people wanted him gone. Those same people could have been saying only a dipshit would give Connelly ownership in the team.

It's all hindsight.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

I'm not even going to argue who is responsible for Connelly. If he needs to give Arod the credit for that, even though it's Turd Taylor signing those checks, fine.

I'm content with him no longer trying to give ARod credit for KAT, ANT, Jaden, NAZ, Coach Finch, etc. like we was earlier.

EDIT - I do find it a bit odd to give ARod credit for a contract that he's not paying for. Makes it appear that Turd Taylor is more like Sugar Daddy Taylor when it pertains to ARod.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:23 am

I'm not even going to argue who is responsible for Connelly. If he needs to give Arod the credit for that, even though it's Turd Taylor signing those checks, fine.

I'm content with him no longer trying to give ARod credit for KAT, ANT, Jaden, NAZ, Coach Finch, etc. like we was earlier.

EDIT - I do find it a bit odd to give ARod credit for a contract that he's not paying for. Makes it appear that Turd Taylor is more like Sugar Daddy Taylor when it pertains to ARod.
So you give Taylor credit for Ant, Mike Conley, Naz, etc?
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

OliverMiller wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:31 am

I give the credit to the GM and whoever else made the call to draft Ant, Naz, Jaden and bring in Coach Finch mid-season. That's logical, no? That all happened before ARod graced us with his presence. Earlier in the thread, it was being stated that all of our good fortune, including that, was due to ARod.

I also believe Coach Finch deserves credit for not only being a solid head coach but a coach that players like NAZ and Conley are willing to sign team friendly contracts to stay with and continue to play for.

ARod is a dink for trying to take credit for the Wolves' strong season. Not once last year did he try to take credit for Connelly or Gobert. I wonder why that is.

ARod wasn't able to close the deal. It's been leaked that he already has plans to get this team under the luxury tax threshold due to his not so deep pockets. And I question if he's going to be able to continue to pay top dollar for top talent (GM, Coaching, etc.) once Sugar Daddy Taylor is out of the picture.

I've also long lived by the motto "If it's not good enough for J-Lo, it's not good enough for me." :P
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:46 am

I give the credit to the GM and whoever else made the call to draft Ant, Naz, Jaden and bring in Coach Finch mid-season. That's logical, no? That all happened before ARod graced us with his presence. Earlier in the thread, it was being stated that all of our good fortune, including that, was due to ARod.

I also believe Coach Finch deserves credit for not only being a solid head coach but a coach that players like NAZ and Conley are willing to sign team friendly contracts to stay with and continue to play for.

ARod is a dink for trying to take credit for the Wolves' strong season. Not once last year did he try to take credit for Connelly or Gobert. I wonder why that is.

ARod wasn't able to close the deal. It's been leaked that he already has plans to get this team under the luxury tax threshold due to his not so deep pockets. And I question if he's going to be able to continue to pay top dollar for top talent (GM, Coaching, etc.) once Sugar Daddy Taylor is out of the picture.

I've also long lived by the motto "If it's not good enough for J-Lo, it's not good enough for me." :P
I thought it was who writes the checks, though?

Goalposts are being moved
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

A$$MAN wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:11 am
Lightning wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:07 am Nobody but Glen Taylor was going to give Thibs both HC and PBO. That was a classic crypt keeper blunder.
Doesn't change the fact he brought him in...a guy was identified and he paid for him. Many people praised the higher and if Taylor would have let him go because of the POBO, then he would have been called a cheap bastard that wasn't willing to spend.

The same could be said about Connelly. Just last year he was getting blasted and people wanted him gone. Those same people could have been saying only a dipshit would give Connelly ownership in the team.

It's all hindsight.
Thibs was unemployed and DESPERATE to get back into the league especially as a Gm. We were the only one to offer him both roles. Again a bad hire for GM.
Last edited by aztimberwolves on Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

So if Lore and Arod really want to slash payroll as some believe, why would they agree to offer 3 extensions in the last few months? Ant obviously you had to and is a no brainer but if payroll is a concern why would you agree to pay for McDaniels and Conley? Those 2 guys would be obvious targets to let go if your goal was to trim payroll.

Also how do we really know that they want to trim payroll? Sources right? Well whose source? Obviously wasnt leaked by Lore and Arod. Silver has put a mandated gag order on parties involved so i highly doubt that the source is league employees. Who does that leave??? Taylor’s side who has the most to benefit by leaking this supposed news and trying to sway public opinion.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

aztimberwolves wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:54 am So if Lore and Arod really want to slash payroll as some believe, why would they agree to offer 3 extensions in the last few months? Ant obviously you had to and is a no brainer but if payroll is a concern why would you agree to pay for McDaniels and Conley? Those 2 guys would be obvious targets to let go if your goal was to trim payroll.

Also how do we really know that they want to trim payroll? Sources right? Well whose source? Obviously wasnt leaked by Lore and Arod. Silver has put a mandated gag order on parties involved so i highly doubt that the source is league employees. Who does that leave??? Taylor’s side who has the most to benefit by leaking this supposed news and trying to sway public opinion.
For what it's worth (and it's definitely possible they planned to cut payroll), Dane Moore said he talked to some of his exec contacts. They said they have 100 different budgets based on performance.

So again, that could have been THE budget, or it could have been just one of many established budgets.
T_J

Post by T_J »

It's all hindsight.
He needed a search team to get Thibs. Remember he hired an outside agency. Should never have given him GM duties so another blunder that led to shipping an all nba player for peanuts.
T_J

Post by T_J »

OliverMiller wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:57 am
aztimberwolves wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:54 am So if Lore and Arod really want to slash payroll as some believe, why would they agree to offer 3 extensions in the last few months? Ant obviously you had to and is a no brainer but if payroll is a concern why would you agree to pay for McDaniels and Conley? Those 2 guys would be obvious targets to let go if your goal was to trim payroll.

For what it's worth (and it's definitely possible they planned to cut payroll), Dane Moore said he talked to some of his exec contacts. They said they have 100 different budgets based on performance.

So again, that could have been THE budget, or it could have been just one of many established budgets.
Great point.
T_J

Post by T_J »

I love that you’re willing to die for Glen on unsubstantiated rumors in the media when Glen has a proven history of being a clueless scumbag, while the new guys escalated a 8-10 seed into a contender in a year and a half.

Why? Because they’re not “one of us?” Idiotic.
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

aztimberwolves wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:48 am

It's all hindsight.
Thibs was unemployed and DESPERATE to get back into the league especially as a Gm. We were the only one to offer him both roles. Again a bad hire for GM.
Again, multiple teams were going after Thibs...and it was HIGHLY praised by everyone locally and nationally when we brought him in.

People here were sure loving him as POBO when he brought Butler in and made the playoffs. So to now say it was terrible is 100% hindsight.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

OliverMiller wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:47 am

Goalposts aren't being moved.

I'm pointing out that an owner deserves credit or blame for the GM he's paying to run the team. Taylor has rightfully gotten much blame for his previous shitty country club hires at GM and Head Coach.

The reason why I even brought this up is squash this idiotic claim that it was somehow ARod's doing that the Wolves finally have a really solid foundation and positive trajectory. That was the case before he graced us with his presence.

I do have a concern that ARod will have deep enough pockets to pay for top GM and HC talent being that he wasn't able to close on this sweetheart deal and it's been leaked that they're already looking at whittling down the roster in order to remain under the salary cap.

What I want in an owner is simple. Pay for top GM and Coaching talent, be willing and ABLE to pay the luxury tax if the team merits it, and keep the team in Minnesota. Does ARod deliver on those basic requirements? I have my doubts.
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

The projected financials were submitted to the league as part of the sale process. I don't believe Taylor can just walk in to the NBA offices and "leak" false information to stop a sale.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:15 am
OliverMiller wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:47 am

Goalposts aren't being moved.

I'm pointing out that an owner deserves credit or blame for the GM he's paying to run the team. Taylor has rightfully gotten much blame for his previous shitty country club hires at GM and Head Coach.

The reason why I even brought this up is squash this idiotic claim that it was somehow ARod's doing that the Wolves finally have a really solid foundation and positive trajectory. That was the case before he graced us with his presence.

I do have a concern that ARod will have deep enough pockets to pay for top GM and HC talent being that he wasn't able to close on this sweetheart deal and it's been leaked that they're already looking at whittling down the roster in order to remain under the salary cap.

What I want in an owner is simple. Pay for top GM and Coaching talent, be willing and ABLE to pay the luxury tax if the team merits it, and keep the team in Minnesota. Does ARod deliver on those basic requirements? I have my doubts.
The people that went after said GM deserve credit. That wasn't Taylor.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

T_J wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:05 am

I love that you’re willing to die for Glen on unsubstantiated rumors in the media when Glen has a proven history of being a clueless scumbag, while the new guys escalated a 8-10 seed into a contender in a year and a half.

Why? Because they’re not “one of us?” Idiotic.
:lol: I don't even know how to respond to this.

I think we're done, friend. You're clearly not a serious person talking that nonsense. You get too riled up or emotional when someone has a different opinion than you on this.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

A$$MAN wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:13 am
aztimberwolves wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:48 am

It's all hindsight.
Again, multiple teams were going after Thibs...and it was HIGHLY praised by everyone locally and nationally when we brought him in.

People here were sure loving him as POBO when he brought Butler in and made the playoffs. So to now say it was terrible is 100% hindsight.
As a coach it was praised yes. But was widely skeptical of him as a first time GM as well.