Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Turd Taylor Out As Majority Owner

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Beef Supreme

Re: Turd Taylor Out As Majority Owner

Post by Beef Supreme »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 pm
Jimi_Thing wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm I trust Turd Taylor more than I trust these 2 new guys. One of the first things I learned in the Marine Corps was USMC stands for...

U
Signed the
Motherfucking
Contract

If these 2 turds didn't fulfill their end of the agreement, fuck em. I have a ton more faith in Turd Taylor that he will keep the franchise in MN than I do with these 2.

My complaints about Taylor are all about how poorly he had ran the franchise in the past with his terrible GM & coaching hires. That has been remedied for the time being.

Taylor should use the press to apologize to KG for whatever misunderstanding those two have. Not being able to bring KG back into the fold is a terrible missed opportunity that we all want to get corrected.

If given a choice between an owner that I'm certain is committed to keeping the franchise in MN vs. new ownership that will immediately be able to bring KG back into the organization but I'm uncertain of their loyalty to MN...I'm choosing Turd Taylor without thinking twice.

If money is a problem for new ownership now, it's pretty damn naive to think that the temptation of moving the franchise to the highest bidding city in the future isn't something we should be concerned about.
or even something as simple as paying into the luxury tax.
100%
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pm
SKOLMN wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 pm
weimy froob wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 pm

seller's remorse has nothing to do with it. it's besides the point. it isn't taylor that didn't live up to the agreement. he extended the deadline twice. that's more than fair. too bad for A-rod and marc that they couldn't come up with the money.
Lore and arod are claiming they did come up with the money, idk why everyone is quick to call them liars and not glen, they should have more goodwill with the fan base than Taylor does
quick to call Alex Rodriguez a liar?
:lol:

When has ARod ever lied?

:lol:

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

- Isaac Asimov
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

How’s this gonna change the offseason? Will Glenn be willing to pay all that tax? I think we all assumed ARod and Lore would pay for the new team, but papa Glenn scares me.

Pitch forks if Glenn blows it up because he’s cheap again
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Put me on team Taylor. Tons of flaws. But this ARod Lorre thing looks sketchy from afar. Multiple extensions of payment deadlines, financial backers bugging out in the 11th hour… something stinks.

I’ll take my chances that Taylor will keep the team together over the chance that the new guys have what it takes to run a team. Remember the Maloof brothers? They ran the Kings to great success, but they weren’t ultra rich. They were barely rich enough to run a team. Then they hit hard times and had to run the Kings on a shoestring before selling them. Sacramento was lucky to keep the Kings. They nearly went to Seattle.

I’m worried these guys don’t have the cheddar to be stable owners. They’re mega-millionaires cobbling together everything they can to sit at the billionaires’ table. I’m not sure they belong. They’re punching above their weight.

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 pm How’s this gonna change the offseason? Will Glenn be willing to pay all that tax? I think we all assumed ARod and Lore would pay for the new team, but papa Glenn scares me.

I’m more concerned about ARod and Lorre being able to not for it than Glen.

Glen paid a lot for a winner before (by that era’s standards). I think he’ll do it again. Maybe not. But I’m not even sure Lorre and ARod can afford it.

- Isaac Asimov
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 pm How’s this gonna change the offseason? Will Glenn be willing to pay all that tax? I think we all assumed ARod and Lore would pay for the new team, but papa Glenn scares me.

Why would you assume ARod and Lore would pay the luxury tax when they can't even afford to buy the team? That sounds like owners that wouldn't be willing to pay to keep a team together.
Roy D.

Post by Roy D. »

Nobody in this is even remotely likeable, Although seeing Arod shoved in shit in satisfying to Ol Roy D!
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

A$$MAN wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 pm

Why would you assume ARod and Lore would pay the luxury tax when they can't even afford to buy the team? That sounds like owners that wouldn't be willing to pay to keep a team together.
Precisely.

- Isaac Asimov
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

They definitely look like owners that Wolves fans should be concerned about if there’s a new host city that’s thirsty for a NBA franchise.

I’m 100% on Team Turd Taylor.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Glen admits it's because the Wolves are worth over a billion dollars more now than when he signed the agreement to sell.

FUCK YOU GLEN

“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Because I believed in the ARod hype. Him buying the team, getting a home in MN, social media pics of him in mn.. I bought in. I thought that they being new owners off of what should be a good playoff run this year, would want to keep the band together and pay whatever it takes being new owners and instantly getting about a billion dollars in equity. I had hope. Now with Glen and his track record I’m nervous.
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Abe Froman »

Guys, why didn't we just all chip in and buy the team back in 2009 - 2012 or so when they really sucked. We could have bought this bitch for about 12 cents back then! Wtf!? Now look at this shit! I brought it up! We all said we would chip in! WTF HAPPENED!!!???
I made this!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i'll admit i had a bias against this sale from the start because i did have a concern about the franchise possibly being relocated. i still subscribe to the notion that glen should find a local billionaire to sell the team to.

Re: Wolves Sold to A-Rod
Post by weimy froob » Wed May 26, 2021 9:05 pm
norm green moved the north stars. they were an iconic franchise that had been to the NHL finals twice. as i said in the other thread--what is the loyalty to the twin cities from a guy like A-Rod? taylor should have sold this franchise to one of the local billionaires instead of these guys.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 pm Glen admits it's because the Wolves are worth over a billion dollars more now than when he signed the agreement to sell.

FUCK YOU GLEN

Then why didn’t the other side make it happen cap’n?

That simple question needs to be answered first. If their future franchise was on this amazing trajectory…one would think they wouldn’t be pulling a Minnesota Vikings/Mike Tice 1st round blunder. It logically doesn’t make sense.
PanicWolf

Post by PanicWolf »

Taylor should just come out and say hey me and my people made an extra billion dollars today we’re going to pay the aprons give this team a serious run. Conversation over for me.

If he holds on to the team and is lean on any spending fuck him I would consider Ethan hawking my way in to the lasagna dinner kitchen
and serve him the most wicked scolding hot piece of shit lasagna possible.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the franchise being worth considerably more than what the purchase price was should have been all the incentive A-rod and marc needed to get the deal done within the parameters of the agreement. massive fail on their part. the good thing for them is that their 40 percent interest is worth a lot more than what they paid for it. for every dollar of appreciation glen only gets 60 cents. the other two get 40 cents.

i don't think this is about seller's remorse or asset appreciation. i think it's about the prospective buyers not being able to walk the walk. at least in a timely manner--which was a requirement of the deal.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

PanicWolf wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 pm Taylor should just come out and say hey me and my people made an extra billion dollars today we’re going to pay the aprons give this team a serious run. Conversation over for me.

If he holds on to the team and is lean on any spending fuck him I would consider Ethan hawking my way in to the lasagna dinner kitchen
and serve him the most wicked scolding hot piece of shit lasagna possible.
I hope you burn the cheese, bro.

Burn the cheese till it's black.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Clubhouseleader

Post by Clubhouseleader »

Glen Taylor did nothing wrong here. Arod and Lore are shady as hell
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 pm Glen admits it's because the Wolves are worth over a billion dollars more now than when he signed the agreement to sell.

FUCK YOU GLEN

That simple question needs to be answered first. If their future franchise was on this amazing trajectory…one would think they wouldn’t be pulling a Minnesota Vikings/Mike Tice 1st round blunder. It logically doesn’t make sense.
I'm just tired of Glen Taylor. Worst owner in sports. I'd literally take any unknown quantity as an owner vs. Keeping Taylor

We were at the finish line and it fell apart. This is CLASSIC Timberwolves.

It should almost be 100% expected to happen honestly
Last edited by flexbuffchest on Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by Lightning »

Bizzaro Wolves Chat, I don't get it. This is so on brand for Taylor.
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

FUCK YOU GLEN

Once again, why do you firmly believe arod and lore don’t have the sufficient funds to buy the team? Because glen Taylor said so? He’s openly admitting the team is no longer for sale is because of how much the value of the franchise has grown since their agreement, and that doesn’t sound any alarm bells?
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Just because one side is wrong, doesn't mean the other side is right.
Let's get Tropical
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

here's an article that kind of explains what was happening. A-rod didn't have the money to be an owner--but lore supposedly has the money if he liquidated his assets. he didn't want to if he did. anyways, march 27 was the date and it looks like they were scrambling. if glen came out today and said the deal was cancelled i'd have to believe that they didn't meet the requirements for the deal to be completed. too bad for them. nothing personal, it's just business. i'd guess that glen didn't like how these two were trying to get this deal done and pulled the plug after they failed to have their ducks in order. oh well. they still own 40 percent.

Report: Alex Rodriguez, Marc Lore's Wolves purchase back on

One day after a private equity firm pulled its $300 million investment from Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore's bid to acquire majority control of the Minnesota Timberwolves and Lynx, the pair found a new financial backer and filed paperwork with the NBA to complete the deal, The Athletic reported Wednesday.

Per The Athletic, Rodriguez and Lore's original backer, the Carlyle Group, did not come to an agreement regarding requirements for those investing in the NBA, so the sides agreed to part ways.

Rodriguez -- the former baseball star -- and Lore found assistance elsewhere, with Dyal Capital Partners reportedly joining the duo as an investor to supply the financial backing that will complete the purchase of the two franchises from Glen Taylor. Former Google CEO Eric Schmidt is part of the new ownership group, per the report.

Rodriguez and Lore have been attempting to purchase another 40 percent of franchise equity on top of the 40 percent that they already have, which would allow them to take over as lead owners of both franchises. The NBA Board of Governors must approve the ownership structure, with no timetable set for that process.

The pair had made two purchases of 20 percent equity dating back to 2021 as part of a gradual move toward gaining control of the Minnesota franchises.

Rodriguez and Lore exercised their option to buy the final 40 percent of their deal in December, opening a 90-day window to close the deal. They had until March 27 to submit the paperwork to the NBA.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Glen Taylor Exclusive Interview with Star Tribune

"The deal is not done. There are deadlines to be met. As always, the NBA must be satisfied with new ownership, as well as its financials."

The Lore-Rodriguez tandem already had been given an extension. That was reached on March 27 — this Wednesday.

"They missed it," Taylor said.

This was in a short phone interview with Taylor from his home in Mankato on Thursday. A couple of hours earlier, the Timberwolves sent out a news release that the NBA team and their partners, the Lynx, were no longer for sale.

"Lore and ARod now own 36 percent," Taylor said by phone. "I will work with them, as I do with my other limited."

That term is used by Taylor to describe a few other individuals who own small shares of the basketball business.

The purchase price of $1.5 billion negotiated by Lore and Rodriguez has been dwarfed by other sales of NBA teams — including in Milwaukee and Phoenix.

"We could've gotten more — we could've gotten $2.5 billion paid upfront — but that person was going to try to move the team to Las Vegas," Taylor said in February.

There have been "NBA insiders" stating that the relationship between Lore, ARod and Taylor had "deteriorated" in recent weeks. Not enough so that Lore declined to make a pitch to Taylor for an investment in another company in February.

On Thursday, Taylor was asked about those reports. "I don't know if that's accurate," he said. "Lore told me he has been busy 24/7 with other projects. And ARod — he has a lot of people to meet when he's at a game.

"The deadline had been pushed back, and they missed it. That's what led to this."

Taylor said it doesn't change the basketball operation, with the Timberwolves currently headed by Tim Connelly.

"I only knew of him," Taylor said in February. "So, when he had interest in coming here, we invited him to our house for dinner. He's very friendly, very common, very family-oriented. And a very good decisionmaker."

Taylor's a fan of Connelly. He's a fan of coach Chris Finch. He's a fan of Cheryl Reeve with the Lynx, of course.

Nothing's changing here, including the guy who has been covering the bills and watching the assets grow.

One positive for the team followers complaining about Taylor staying as owner:

The demand for a new arena to house the Timberwolves could come much later with Taylor in charge, rather than if Lore and Rodriguez had taken over.

"I'm OK with Target Center," Taylor said. "You would always like to see a few improvements, but I don't see a major problem with the arena for now."

Did the explosion in the NBA sale prices lead to Thursday's decision to enforce the latest deadline and cancel the sale?

"Not for me," Taylor said. "My money's going to the Taylor Foundation, not in my pocket. But my limiteds, they might be happy if the Timberwolves are sold later for a higher price."

Litigation has been mentioned as a possibility for the Lore-ARod group, based on the claim they had lined up the financing. Response?

"It's business," Taylor said. "Everyone has the right to bring in the lawyers."

Lots of calls today? "Yes, and we have three grandbabies here," he said. "I'm going to have to stop answering."
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
populousample

Post by populousample »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 pm Glen Taylor Exclusive Interview with Star Tribune

"The deal is not done. There are deadlines to be met. As always, the NBA must be satisfied with new ownership, as well as its financials."

The Lore-Rodriguez tandem already had been given an extension. That was reached on March 27 — this Wednesday.

"They missed it," Taylor said.

This was in a short phone interview with Taylor from his home in Mankato on Thursday. A couple of hours earlier, the Timberwolves sent out a news release that the NBA team and their partners, the Lynx, were no longer for sale.

"Lore and ARod now own 36 percent," Taylor said by phone. "I will work with them, as I do with my other limited."

That term is used by Taylor to describe a few other individuals who own small shares of the basketball business.

The purchase price of $1.5 billion negotiated by Lore and Rodriguez has been dwarfed by other sales of NBA teams — including in Milwaukee and Phoenix.

"We could've gotten more — we could've gotten $2.5 billion paid upfront — but that person was going to try to move the team to Las Vegas," Taylor said in February.

There have been "NBA insiders" stating that the relationship between Lore, ARod and Taylor had "deteriorated" in recent weeks. Not enough so that Lore declined to make a pitch to Taylor for an investment in another company in February.

On Thursday, Taylor was asked about those reports. "I don't know if that's accurate," he said. "Lore told me he has been busy 24/7 with other projects. And ARod — he has a lot of people to meet when he's at a game.

"The deadline had been pushed back, and they missed it. That's what led to this."

Taylor said it doesn't change the basketball operation, with the Timberwolves currently headed by Tim Connelly.

"I only knew of him," Taylor said in February. "So, when he had interest in coming here, we invited him to our house for dinner. He's very friendly, very common, very family-oriented. And a very good decisionmaker."

Taylor's a fan of Connelly. He's a fan of coach Chris Finch. He's a fan of Cheryl Reeve with the Lynx, of course.

Nothing's changing here, including the guy who has been covering the bills and watching the assets grow.

One positive for the team followers complaining about Taylor staying as owner:

The demand for a new arena to house the Timberwolves could come much later with Taylor in charge, rather than if Lore and Rodriguez had taken over.

"I'm OK with Target Center," Taylor said. "You would always like to see a few improvements, but I don't see a major problem with the arena for now."

Did the explosion in the NBA sale prices lead to Thursday's decision to enforce the latest deadline and cancel the sale?

"Not for me," Taylor said. "My money's going to the Taylor Foundation, not in my pocket. But my limiteds, they might be happy if the Timberwolves are sold later for a higher price."

Litigation has been mentioned as a possibility for the Lore-ARod group, based on the claim they had lined up the financing. Response?

"It's business," Taylor said. "Everyone has the right to bring in the lawyers."

Lots of calls today? "Yes, and we have three grandbabies here," he said. "I'm going to have to stop answering."
Exclusive, after recording interviews with Doogie and Hartman…
somuchyummy beef supreme chat
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

SKOLMN wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 pm

FUCK YOU GLEN

Once again, why do you firmly believe arod and lore don’t have the sufficient funds to buy the team? Because glen Taylor said so? He’s openly admitting the team is no longer for sale is because of how much the value of the franchise has grown since their agreement, and that doesn’t sound any alarm bells?
I believe if Arod and the other guy fulfilled their end of the deal, this wouldn’t be an issue. It appears they didn’t. Why is that? Help me understand the logic that it’s Taylor’s fault.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Seriously though. Who here is displeased with the current state of the Wolves?

- A top GM
- A very good head coach.
- Top star in the league.
- Very strong young core for that top GM to build on.
- Best announcers in the game.
- An owner that ain’t pissin and moanin about the Target Center no longer having that new car smell.
- An owner that’s committed to keeping the franchise in MN.

If this team makes noise in the playoffs this year, I’m confident Taylor will pay the luxury tax to keep the band together. Having a top team in the league and a sold out Target Center every night makes that a pretty easy decision.
populousample

Post by populousample »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 pm Seriously though. Who here is displeased with the current state of the Wolves?

- A top GM
- An owner that ain’t pissin and moanin about the Target Center no longer having that new car smell.

If this team makes noise in the playoffs this year, I’m confident Taylor will pay the luxury tax to keep the band together. Having a top team in the league and a sold out Target Center every night makes that a pretty easy decision.

Appreciate the positive vibes but Taylor took all of the attention away from those positive vibes by proactively going public and distracting from that narrative/points. Hard to have confidence in what he will do next.
somuchyummy beef supreme chat
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 pm Seriously though. Who here is displeased with the current state of the Wolves?

- A top GM
- Best announcers in the game.

When it comes down to it all I want is an owner that keeps the team here and foots the bill when we’ve got a roster like we currently do.