Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Draft 2024

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Style

Re: Draft 2024

Post by Style »

Houston PG Jamal Shead was really impressive tonight against #6 Iowa State.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:36 pm that would be nice to get up to 20. probably would be high enough to avoid missing a guy we'd want. And it feels like the Suns might be open to having more cheap draft talent for their back bench, considering all the money they've got going for their top guys. Another one i wonder about is just swapping both of our picks with the Knicks two. They'd get 29 and 36 - we'd get 23 and 42. Especially as they'd still have their 18.
I don't know if there is much to justify moving up to 20, not a lot of talent difference IMO, plus we ourselves need cheap contracts.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

if there was a guy they really liked and wanted to target - for example, my first choice Jared McCain (but it could be someone else) - and they were worried they'd lose him just a few picks earlier and then have to select someone they weren't as high on - it might make sense. and yes, we have some top guys making big money that beg for cheaper contracts farther down the bench, but we're still such a young team. I don't know if adding more youth is helpful. Clark 22, Ant 22, Jaden 23, Lenny 20, Josh 21, Wendell 22, Nix 22. Maybe if we grabbed an older prospect like Scheierman at 36 (who will be 24 most of his rookie year) it might make sense. But there's already a lot of "garbage time only" guys at the back end of the bench - who maybe aren't ready to step into meaningful minutes quite yet.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
salamander

Post by salamander »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:00 am
salamander wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:46 am
Jimi_Thing wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:40 am

I don't watch college ball except for the tournament. If this kid has promise, it would be great for him to work with & against Rudy on a daily basis as he gets his conditioning and skill level to where it needs to be.
The conditioning thing is definitely something he needs to work on.
The cool thing about Edey is that he already has come a long way in making his body better. Appears to be fully aware of what needs to happen for him to become a legit NBA player.
Gotta love a guy who can see their own weaknesses and understand how to better themself.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

salamander wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:22 am
somuchyummy wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:00 am
salamander wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:46 am

The conditioning thing is definitely something he needs to work on.
The cool thing about Edey is that he already has come a long way in making his body better. Appears to be fully aware of what needs to happen for him to become a legit NBA player.
Gotta love a guy who can see their own weaknesses and understand how to better themself.
What can Edey actually project to though, reasonably?
Garza is essentially doing the exact same thing right now, and even though he's a fan favorite, he's still barely playable outside of garbage time, and this is his 3rd year in the league.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

I don't think Garza is necessarily unplayable. But on a team with Rudy, Kat and Naz - garbage time time is all he will get and that's always a kluge fest. If precious Achiuwa and Jericho Sims can play regular minutes in NY, Garza could too. As for a comp between him and Edey. Luka will always have to work his ass off on an NBA court because he's 6-11 250, pretty slow and has a 7-1 WS. Edey is about as lumbering - but a full 50 lbs heavier, five inches taller with a full nine more inches of WS to work with. When Edey gets the ball high near the basket, there's not a lot of stopping him. Whereas Luka does most of his work under the rim, and is a lot easier to deal with.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Ah, the woulda shouldas. Just was looking at Memphis W Vince Williams Jrs impressive run of late - over his past 16 games, hes averaged 16.2 PPG, 6.7 RPG, and 4.9 APG along with great D. Now, of course, you can say he's only getting this opportunity because the Grizzlies have been wiped out but so many injuries. But Williams was selected 47th in the same draft that we took Moore 26th and Minott 45th - and does anyone here harbor any illusions that Wendell or Josh could muster a 16/7/5 line over the course of 16 NBA games - should they have that same opportunity for PT? Vince will be making a little over $2M/yr thru the 2026-27 season. Argh.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:54 pm Ah, the woulda shouldas. Just was looking at Memphis W Vince Williams Jrs impressive run of late - over his past 16 games, hes averaged 16.2 PPG, 6.7 RPG, and 4.9 APG along with great D. Now, of course, you can say he's only getting this opportunity because the Grizzlies have been wiped out but so many injuries. But Williams was selected 47th in the same draft that we took Moore 26th and Minott 45th - and does anyone here harbor any illusions that Wendell or Josh could muster a 16/7/5 line over the course of 16 NBA games - should they have that same opportunity for PT? Vince will be making a little over $2M/yr thru the 2026-27 season. Argh.
Wendell Moore was an odd pick... IIRC, he shot the three ball well his final year at Duke which gave people some hope he could be a decent shooter in the pros. In a league with great size, he's 6'5 and doesn't really have a natural position and hasn't proved he's anything above average on either side of the ball. Seems like they just took a safe pick with little to no upside. "Safe" because he played at Duke, of course.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

there's a few players we missed on with the Moore pick - but it's not like a slew of them. but most we missed came directly after his pick, so there were other logical choices who weren't reaches - nikola jovic, caleb houstan, jaylin williams - and the one who hurts the most (and the guy i was wishing for Big Time as we made the Moore pick) is Indiana PG Andrew Nembhard. Wow. A Nembhard/Vince Williams Jr. draft instead of a Moore/Minott draft would be looking a lot healthier for team future right now. For one thing, having Nembhard - who would be the very effective backup to Mike and logical heir apparent we've talked about - would have negated the need to move Troy Brown Jr. for Monte Morris - and most of us saw the value in having Troy onboard.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

watching Arizona vs Washington today and not particularly impressed with anyone. They all seem like "poor man's version ofs", if you get my drift.

but college hoops is a funny space. They following players are on the Arizona roster:

Philip Borovicanin - 6-9 225
Oumar Ballo - 7-0 260
Henry Veesaar - 7-0 225
Montiejus Krivas - 7-2 260
Will Menaugh - 6-10 245
Dylan Anderson - 7-0 240

Hey Coach. You got enough bigs on the roster???
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

I like Jamal Shead.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Not as a draft target - but as a likely UDFA - Jamarion Sharp is an interesting case. If you don't know who he is - he played two seasons for Western Kentucky, where I think he led the nation in blocked shots - both years over 4 per game - and this year has transferred to Ole Miss, where he splits big man time with Mousse Cisse - and is only on the court about 16 mpg. What's the appeal? Well, he's huge. 7-5 and 235 pounds, which is thinnish - but not as thin as, say, Wemby or Chet. He has a 7-8 WS to go with it. No big deal, another Tacko Fall, right? Except NOT. Watch some highlights, he is an amazingly fluid athlete for his size, able to get up and down the court with speed you just don't often see from guys that big. And it helps his game - rim running, getting back on D to disrupt fast breaks, contesting shots on the perimeter, etc. I was expecting a lumbering, gangly odd looking human - and that's just not the case.

boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

Wrong thread
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Latest BR mock has my guy Jared McCain zooming all the way up to the Knicks at 19. I knew he was going to rise our of our range - that 35 point/8 made threes game didn't help. BR has us taking Colorado PG KJ Simpson - which wouldn't be a bad consolation prize at all.

A guy I am currently warming to for our second round pick at 37 is UNC SF Harrison Ingram. The BR draft has him pocketed right in that area, going to the Grizzlies at 38. Lots to like. Two years at Stanford, and now a successful move to North Carolina. Great bbiq, somewhat a point F, good handles and growing ease with the three pointer. 35% for his career on 3.8 attempts per game. This year he's dinging the bell at 40% on 4.4 attempts per game. BIG frame - and the ability to play nearly every position - 6-8 235 and a plus 7-0 WS. He's often listed as a SG - although he also often plays the 4, and with his size it's possible to envision him in a small ball C role as well. 12.3/ 9.1/ 2.2 this season. This 9.1 rpg isn't an error - he's a fabulous dog on the glass - a 19 rebound game this year, two 17 rebound games and a 15. In the past ten games, he's averaged just a tick under 12 per game. Which, when you look at one of Jaden's weaknesses - it's the glass - and having that kind of SF option off the bench behind him might be a good weapon in the arsenal. His achilles heel? FT shooting. Horrible at at career 61% - this year he's at 56% - and which is entirely odd for a guy hitting 40 plus pct of his 4.4 threes per game. It might be what keeps him in the mid second round. But with those numbers from deep, it's also perhaps something that could be turned around.

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Another guy I'm looking at with our second rounder is Illinois' F Coleman Hawkins. I guess between him, Baylor Scheierman and Harrison Ingram I'm favoring players who might be older and more NBA ready. Get the young high ceiling guy in the first round - use our second on more of a known entity.

Hawkins is a stat stuffer - reminds me in a way of Kyle. Not in the slo-mo variety though, Hawkins plays with more pace - but rather in that he can get you some points, handles the ball really well, hits the glass, is an excellent passer, and a multi-positional defender with a high BBIQ and great team D communication skills. If we aren't able to retain Kyle over the summer, this could be a legit Plan B to work up. He's 22 - 6-10 230 with a 7-0 WS. This season averaging 13/6/3 on 52%/40%/81% shooting. That 40% number from three is on nearly 5 attempts per game. Not shy about letting it go. The passing is especially nice - he's had 9 games this season between 4-9 assists, 17 games with 5-13 rebounds, but also 7 games with 2-4 blocks and 13 games with 2-6 steals. Just gets a lot of things done, while having the jazziest name in college hoops.

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Just throwing this out there because I just ran across it - but if you want to get excited about a 2025 NBA prospect, look into Khaman Maluach. South Sudanese kid, I think he's in Uganda now - but will be joining Cooper Flagg at Duke next year as a freshman. 7-2 250 7-6 WS. Strong, not skinny, fluid and mobile, can get up and down the court fast. Has ball handling skills. I don't understand how it's possible - maybe it's how he's built - but he supposedly has a higher standing reach (9'8") than Wemby. Super nice, fluid shooting stroke that extends to 3. Hit over 40% from deep in the league he played in this year. Best yet - very smart, a sponge, coachable, humble, a joy to work with. In South Sudan, where he first learned to play, it was a 45 minute walk (one way) every day to the court he played on. He's got that kind of work ethic. Predicted top three pick in 2025 (right up there with Flagg). Apparently you show him tape of someone doing something and he incorporates it immediately. His coaches are excited about what that ability means when he'll be working out regularly with NBA talent. A lot can happen between now and then - and transitions like this for international players often come with big glitches - but right now he looks like one of the best prospects to ever come out of Africa.

witljon

Post by witljon »

Style wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:55 pm Houston PG Jamal Shead was really impressive tonight against #6 Iowa State.
I know nothing about this years draft prospects. For some reason I got away from college basketball this year. Maybe it’s because our lottery days are over.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

We seem to be seeing the value of Kyle Anderson - when he plays well, he's a big part of our success. Second half of the season he's been much, much better. But ... I'm not sure he will resign with us or we'll have the ability to even do it with all our other $$$ outlays.

Here's a guy coming out - who should be available with our second round pick - and he reminds me of a cross between Kyle and Brandon Clarke. Really smart, heady player, good solid citizen - with better size than both Kyle or Clarke, enough bounce to him, good handles for a big, really knows how to set screens well, great passing and playmaking instincts - more a Point Big, doesn't shoot the 3 - often employs a funky, but effective little push shot. Marquette's Oso Ighodaro. Can play either the 4 or 5. 6-11 235 reported 7-5 WS. Came out of a strict academic-focused home - his parents made sure he was well-rounded and didn't just play one sport. So he has had a little different path than a lot of American players - and maybe is more built like a Euro. Just received the Big East's Scholar-Athlete of the Year award.

Here are some highlights from the Maui Invitational this year - note the competition is Kansas, Purdue and UCLA.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Last edited by somuchyummy on Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:52 am We seem to be seeing the value of Kyle Anderson - when he plays well, he's a big part of our success. Second half of the season he's been much, much better. But ... I'm not sure he will resign with us or we'll have the ability to even do it with all our other $$$ outlays.

I know this isn't a Kyle Anderson thread but what have you thought about his play over the last couple of games? Dude can frustrate the hell out of me and I really dislike him starting over NAW. I think he's part of the reason why the Wolves start off so damn slow & ugly.

Is it my confirmation bias that has me focusing on the things I dislike while glazing over the positives that he brings to the table? When I look at his impressive +/- stats over the last couple of games, he's pretty impressive.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Plus he's the guy apparently who gathered the team together last night to emphasize the need to win with the injury situation coming up tonight. He's a heady guy who often makes the right play - and seems steady throughout games. Feels like we've got a few players who have 7 points and 5 rebounds at the end of the first quarter - and that's their line also at the end of the game. Kyle often looks like he isn't doing much - but it slowly aggregates throughout the game to where he finishes with idk 11 points, 5 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 steals and a block.

like i said above though - i don't know if we'll be able to resign him. That's why I'm okay looking for a similar kind of player in the draft - like Ighodaro - because we can see the value in it.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

witljon wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:24 pm The draft use to be the highlight of the Wolves season. Those days are over. All we are going to get now is long shot hopefuls like Wendell Moore, Josh Minott, Leonard Miller, and Jaylen Clark.
:lol: :thumbsup:
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

witljon wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:55 am
Style wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:55 pm Houston PG Jamal Shead was really impressive tonight against #6 Iowa State.
I know nothing about this years draft prospects. For some reason I got away from college basketball this year. Maybe it’s because our lottery days are over.
I gave up a few years ago. One and done combined with the transfer portal for the crybabies was enough for me. I still love some March Madness, that where I see all the snowflakes fall to the smaller schools with a 4 year teams.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:52 am We seem to be seeing the value of Kyle Anderson - when he plays well, he's a big part of our success. Second half of the season he's been much, much better. But ... I'm not sure he will resign with us or we'll have the ability to even do it with all our other $$$ outlays.

Here's a guy coming out - who should be available with our second round pick - and he reminds me of a cross between Kyle and Brandon Clarke. Really smart, heady player, good solid citizen - with better size than both Kyle or Clarke, enough bounce to him, good handles for a big, really knows how to set screens well, great passing and playmaking instincts - more a Point Big, doesn't shoot the 3 - often employs a funky, but effective little push shot. Marquette's Oso Ighodaro. Can play either the 4 or 5. 6-11 235 reported 7-5 WS. Came out of a strict academic-focused home - his parents made sure he was well-rounded and didn't just play one sport. So he has had a little different path than a lot of American players - and maybe is more built like a Euro. Just received the Big East's Scholar-Athlete of the Year award.

Here are some highlights from the Maui Invitational this year - note the competition is Kansas, Purdue and UCLA.

He is a great passer, but not much else. Older too so development also a major concern from the offensive standpoint. If you can't shoot hard to get someone on the court in today's NBA.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

depends on where your team is in its development and what you need right now. If I were drafting this year and had my choice between OI and this year's version of Josh Minott, I'd pick Oso. He's got a better track record of success and likely could help more right away. Minott was a 45th pick and has now played all of 163 minutes in two years in the bigs. Is he any more ready to play now than he was when we drafted him - probably not.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:39 pm depends on where your team is in its development and what you need right now. If I were drafting this year and had my choice between OI and this year's version of Josh Minott, I'd pick Oso. He's got a better track record of success and likely could help more right away. Minott was a 45th pick and has now played all of 163 minutes in two years in the bigs. Is he any more ready to play now than he was when we drafted him - probably not.
Minott was a "high" upside pick, not really in the same category as an older player who is still developmental. I don't know Minott isn't better, though I have my questions on if he is any good himself, but not to the point this guy worries me. The PF to target in our range is Holmes or Klintman if he drops. Not really seeing a perfect Anderson replacement. There are some undersized SFs or SGs with SF size and guard skills, nothing perfect. I don't think we will be drafting to replace him though it is a role that needs to be filled on modern teams. With a shortage of picks, a need for talent long-term we take BPA and not a highly specialized role no matter how much I want a point forward, doesn't seem to be in the cards. RIght now Dillion Jones might be the closest Anderson type in the range of our two picks...two much of a tweener imo and we have seen players like him not fair well. One older guy (24) who might be interesting is Baylor Scheierman if he is in fact 6-7.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'd be very happy with Baylor Scheierman with our second rounder - even if he's usually mocked a bit farther back. Just a baller.

one last note about Ighodaro - I think BBIQ counts for a lot with bigs. A lot of smaller high bbiq Gs don't make it even with their smarts - they are just too overwhelmed physically and athletically. Not all, but enough. Bigs who have the bbiq gift - plus a reasonable amount of athleticism - seems like they figure out a way to make it work. At 6-11 with a 7-5 WS, OI has enough physically to be in the NBA - plus he's reasonably bouncy and can handle the ball - and the brains should help him figure out how to be effective. Like you said, he's already a great passer.
Style

Post by Style »

Baylor Scheierman Seems to be a Connelly type too. Connelly seems to value high bbiq, skill, and composure. He checks all of those boxes. Good shot. A bench shooter adds a wrinkle.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

college ball/draft froobs, help me out here. why is UConn's Donovan Clingan often talked about as a late lottery pick - when Purdue's Zach Edey usually sits back in the first half of the second round? I honestly don't get it.

They are both with major winning programs - so the competition has been similar. I thought age might be a factor - as Clingan is only 20, but then I just found out that Edey is 21. Is Clingan THAT much more mobile and able to get up and down the court? Keep in mind that both are huge young men - Clingan 7-2 280 lbs with a 7-7 WS and Edey 7-4 285 lbs with a 7-10.5 WS. They are simply extremely large.

Here's a comparison of their stats from this season.

DC - 21.9 MPG - 12.5 ppg/ 7.2 rpg/ 1.5 apg/ 0.4 spg/ 2.3 bpg on 65%/33%/57%. Although discount that three pct - in all, he's been 2-7 at UConn. The FT pct isn't great, and should be of concern. The blocks are great considering he's just been playing 22 mpg - BUT he also is averaging 2 fouls in the time, which is more than Edey fouls in 10 mins more per game.

ZE - 31.3 MPG - 24.4 ppg/ 11.7 rpg/ 2.1 apg/ 0.2 spg/ 2.2 bpg on 62%/50%/72%. Again, discount the three pct - Edey is 1-2 in all the time he's been at Purdue. The fouls are better, 1.9 in ten more minutes per game - plus the FT pct is quite good for a young player as massive as he is.

Is it Edey fatigue? We've been hearing his name for too long? Clingan is the bright new flavor? I'm not getting the disparity in the mocks.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

welp, I guess we get just one game to evaluate all that golden UK talent. Oakland knocks off Kentucky. Loads of Wildcats slotted to be drafted - Dillingham, Sheppard, Bradshaw, Edwards, Ivisic, and Wagner. Those six combined for 29 points tonight. And their teammate - the old guy Antonio Reeves, the 6-6 200 lb guard, who for some absurd reason is often NOT included in mocks - scores 27. He's my late 2nd steal. And if he doesn't get drafted, we should be on the phone immediately. Reeves averaged 20 ppg this season on 41% from deep.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

I really havent followed much basketball this year, but he seems to be the type of player I would love to root for. Just seems to be heady type of guy that helps your team win. Very good at pick and roll action, especially the PnR timing and spacing. But I am not sure if he is a NBA player. Can he shoot a jump shot? If you noticed, some of the NCAA defenses sagged big time against him on the perimeter and NBA defenses would not miss his total inability to shoot from outside the paint.

He seems to be a bit better athlete than Kyle, but then Slo Mo hides a lot of his athleticism with his deliberate playing style. And statistically he doesn't really compare to Anderson, who was a 17.6 pt/10.5 rebound./7.8 assist per 40 guy in his last/sophomore season at UCLA.