Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Draft 2024

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Style

Draft 2024

Post by Style »

Round 1 – Allotted pick

Round 2 – Traded allotted pick to either Trail Blazers or Thunder

Incoming: 2024 2nd-round pick (lesser of Memphis or Washington picks) from D’Angelo Russell trade

Summary: 1 (0ne) 1st-round pick (MIN), 1 (One) 2nd-round pick (MEM or WAS)
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Style

Re: Draft 2024

Post by Style »

Tyler Kolek - PG - Marquette.

Tristen Newton - G - Connecticut.

Trey Alexander - G - Creighton.

I'm liking these guys.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

we are likely to get a couple of picks pretty close to each other. late first, early second - which is a great situation because it's similar first or near first talent - rather than a back end of the draft dart throw. plus we might be able to move the two to get one first rounder near the 20s.

two thoughts. i'm not sure we can use two picks. we've already got a bunch of young developmental guys who get less PT on this team than other young players get on their teams. Miller, Minott, Garza, Moore Jr., Clark, Nix - we should add two more to that group?

if there's any player i see who i can envision a role for - it's someone who'll be taken way down in the 40s-50s. UVA PG Reece Beekman. Not a scorer, but a great O facilitator with an elite Asst/TOV ratio - but with the defensive chops of a Jevon Carter. I could see him coming in and immediately be an upgrade from JMac - whose deal runs out this year. Maybe we could find a team to take our late first and early second in exchange for their higher first and late second - that could be the path to a role playing Beekman AND to a higher rated first rounder.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Style wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:22 pm Tyler Kolek - PG - Marquette.
His named jogged my memory for some reason and I don't know why, but after watching some video I liked what I saw.

Caught a bit of a Houston game not too far back also and Jamal Shead gave me some funny feelings.
witljon

Post by witljon »

The draft use to be the highlight of the Wolves season. Those days are over. All we are going to get now is long shot hopefuls like Wendell Moore, Josh Minott, Leonard Miller, and Jaylen Clark.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:18 pm we are likely to get a couple of picks pretty close to each other. late first, early second - which is a great situation because it's similar first or near first talent - rather than a back end of the draft dart throw. plus we might be able to move the two to get one first rounder near the 20s.

two thoughts. i'm not sure we can use two picks. we've already got a bunch of young developmental guys who get less PT on this team than other young players get on their teams. Miller, Minott, Garza, Moore Jr., Clark, Nix - we should add two more to that group?

if there's any player i see who i can envision a role for - it's someone who'll be taken way down in the 40s-50s. UVA PG Reece Beekman. Not a scorer, but a great O facilitator with an elite Asst/TOV ratio - but with the defensive chops of a Jevon Carter. I could see him coming in and immediately be an upgrade from JMac - whose deal runs out this year. Maybe we could find a team to take our late first and early second in exchange for their higher first and late second - that could be the path to a role playing Beekman AND to a higher rated first rounder.
Maybe trade the pick for multiple picks in later years if the opportunity arises? This is said to be a weaker draft and you’ve identified we already have a fair amount of developing guys. Maybe if we can get two or three later picks for our pick, that could be the move?

Obviously, that takes a dance partner and that’s not a guarantee, especially if this is a weaker draft, but it only takes one GM to fall in love with one guy or a GM to think they’re a role player away or something like that. The picks would no doubt have protections on them.

I’d do it, if such a deal arose.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Glen will sell the picks in one final Scrooge move
Let's get Tropical
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

I would like to see a C that can be developed but realize they don’t exactly grow on trees. Rudy would be a great mentor for one to learn from and practice with/against.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:36 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:18 pm we are likely to get a couple of picks pretty close to each other. late first, early second - which is a great situation because it's similar first or near first talent - rather than a back end of the draft dart throw. plus we might be able to move the two to get one first rounder near the 20s.

Maybe trade the pick for multiple picks in later years if the opportunity arises? This is said to be a weaker draft and you’ve identified we already have a fair amount of developing guys. Maybe if we can get two or three later picks for our pick, that could be the move?

Obviously, that takes a dance partner and that’s not a guarantee, especially if this is a weaker draft, but it only takes one GM to fall in love with one guy or a GM to think they’re a role player away or something like that. The picks would no doubt have protections on them.

I’d do it, if such a deal arose.
I would do this.

This team needs a PG very soon though. No clue what happens there.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:06 pm I would like to see a C that can be developed but realize they don’t exactly grow on trees. Rudy would be a great mentor for one to learn from and practice with/against.
There's a young big with Kentucky this year - Aaron Bradshaw - who is coming off an injury and hasn't looked special. But... Really high ranking out of HS. His draft stock has dropped considerably - and likely will be there with our second pick. But there are definitely tools. Came into college with lottery cred. 247sports and ESPN both had him ranked fifth overall nationally, and the #1 center prospect. On3 service had him ranked #1 overall of incoming 2023 freshmen. Now... These services can certainly mess up the rankings, but definitely a legit logical pick if hes around with our early second. Legit size 7-1 226 7-4 WS and I completely agree with the idea of a Rudy mentor relationship.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Style

Post by Style »

I like Beef’s idea of trading out for future picks if such a deal is available.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Take Bronny James... get LeBron to sign here for the minimum.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
T_J

Post by T_J »

HeHateMe wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:24 pm Take Bronny James... get LeBron to sign here for the minimum.
Think Bronny will fall to 30th?
witljon

Post by witljon »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:41 pm Glen will sell the picks in one final Scrooge move
Might be the wise move, unless the Iowa Wolves
need some more bodies
Style

Post by Style »

Another name that popped up for me tonight is Matthew Murrell. He’s a 6’4” SR. G from Ole Miss. He had 10(!!) steals the other night. Freaky athlete that’s a heck of a defender. Developing offensive game, yet averaging 16/ppg on 39.7% 3pt.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Ole Miss is a school that hasn't had much luck translating players to the NBA. I'm not sure why either - seems like they've had good teams over the years. And I'm not saying this to knock Murrell. But yeah, Elston Turner, Terence Davis, Gerald glass.- that's about it. Not a great template there to project from.
witljon

Post by witljon »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:41 pm Ole Miss is a school that hasn't had much luck translating players to the NBA. I'm not sure why either - seems like they've had good teams over the years. And I'm not saying this to knock Murrell. But yeah, Elston Turner, Terence Davis, Gerald glass.- that's about it. Not a great template there to project from.
With Elston Turner as defensive coach, maybe there will be some interest in Murrell.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

T_J wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:30 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:24 pm Take Bronny James... get LeBron to sign here for the minimum.
I'd take him if it meant LeBron.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
T_J

Post by T_J »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:39 pm
T_J wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:30 pm
I'd take him if it meant LeBron.
Of course. Probably be worth blowing a top 5 pick on.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Trentyn Flowers - 6'9 SG. Athletic, defensive versatility
Rob Dillingham - Instant offense combo-guard
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

You just really wonder about assessments and how players get rated and parsing it all out. Most mocks have three UCLA bruins going in either the first or second round. Aday mara, adem bona and berke buyukfuncel. That group - they all played - just got obliterated by Utah 90-44. And I see zero Utah players in any mocks. What makes the assessment even tougher is that this trio plays for the same school that produced the surprise number three rookie in the league this year, Jaime Jaquez Jr.

And more on the process - how extensive does scouting go? It feels like every year it's the same 70 to 75 names on two round mocks - whoever is putting them out. Is that really the talent base, or is scouting lazy - or maybe just limited to who they can actually look at? NBA Draft Room does a 2024 two round mock - and they extend it past the 2nd round till they have 150 players. As an experiment, I wanted to see where those 150 come from - because i kept seeing a lot of the same sources - Kentucky, Australia, GLeague Ignite, UConn, France - that sort of thing. Anyway i found that over 100 of the players in their listing came from just 30 sources. Does the best talent just congregate in a few spots - or is this simply a sign of the limitations that scouts have? And yes, there are so many players drafted who don't make it in the league. It's not like they bat a thousand.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

I stand by this.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:21 pm
I stand by this.
no. Bron's ready to hang it up - and it's not like he's a guaranteed title anymore, is it. a lot of players have to adjust their games all over hell to accomodate him - when honestly LAL would probably best be served using all their weapons and having Bron be just one of the guys. in the meantime, Bronny is five games into his college career - shooting 35%/23%/64% with a 5.2/1.4/1.2 line - and in the last three games, he's scored a total of 2 points on 0-14 from the field. Some of the latest mocks don't even list him anymore. Plus there's his health. We can't afford to throw darts in the dark with the firsts we still have - this is a very good team that needs careful planning, not a hail mary.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:55 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:21 pm
I stand by this.
no. Bron's ready to hang it up - and it's not like he's a guaranteed title anymore, is it. a lot of players have to adjust their games all over hell to accomodate him - when honestly LAL would probably best be served using all their weapons and having Bron be just one of the guys. in the meantime, Bronny is five games into his college career - shooting 35%/23%/64% with a 5.2/1.4/1.2 line - and in the last three games, he's scored a total of 2 points on 0-14 from the field. Some of the latest mocks don't even list him anymore. Plus there's his health. We can't afford to throw darts in the dark with the firsts we still have - this is a very good team that needs careful planning, not a hail mary.
Don't have to take him with the first, the high second... in order to get LeBron, who could replace Slomo as the sixth man do it all...
witljon

Post by witljon »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:55 pm We can't afford to throw darts in the dark with the firsts we still have - this is a very good team that needs careful planning, not a hail mary.
I think when you are drafting late in the 1st round it’s a perfect time for a Hail Mary.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Here's what I'd rather see with a late first. Fill a need. More than a few mocks have about three great long distance shooters bunched at the end of the first. That seems like a better hail Mary to me. Pick some shooter whos been hitting upper 40% of his threes. Who of our recent picks going four years back fits that description? I don't think anyone does.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

I am in the Adama Bal camp if he is there with our pick. He fills that point forward position we desperately need to run modern lineup combinations.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Bal is the better shooter - but is he a better Point Forward prospect than Tousan Evbouman? TE has more legit F size (6-7 217) plus has been the much more productive and sure-handed playmaker. Three years at Princeton with a final season 15.1/6.3/4.9. In the G League this year for Detroit's farm club, he's basically the same - 15/9/4 on 58%/32%/83%. I believe he's not on a 2 way - so he'd be available for any team to sign. Bal's playmaking leaves something to be desired - if that's the reason to draft him. 3.1 apg to 2.3 TOVs. That's not ideal. Another low cost option - if Point Forward is important - would be Miye Oni. He's averaging 10/5/5 (with 2.5 TOVs) for Orlando's G club this year on 71%/40%/100%.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
salamander

Post by salamander »

On February 15, when the Gophers play the Purdue Boilermakers, everyone watch C Zach Edey.

The guy is an absolute monster at the college level. In the NBA he's probably too slow to ever break into a starting lineup but I think he'd be a nice 2nd Center to have off the bench. 7-4, over 300 lbs. He's pretty good on the offensive end. Don't know how he'd work out on the defensive side.

I think he'd be a 2nd round pick.
Last edited by salamander on Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

salamander wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:20 am On February 15, when the Gophers play the Purdue Boilermakers, every watch C Zach Edey.

The guy is an absolute monster at the college level. In the NBA he's probably too slow to ever break into a starting lineup but I think he'd be a nice 2nd Center to have off the bench. 7-4, over 300 lbs. He's pretty good on the offensive end. Don't know how he'd work out on the defensive side.

I think he'd be a 2nd round pick.
I don't watch college ball except for the tournament. If this kid has promise, it would be great for him to work with & against Rudy on a daily basis as he gets his conditioning and skill level to where it needs to be.