Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Garza question...

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
LwnmwrMan222

Garza question...

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

Does he come up for the games, then fly back down to play for IA every day?

Do the Wolves have someone that drives him back and forth?
My body, my choice.
Beef Supreme

Re: Garza question...

Post by Beef Supreme »

Does his wife have a “Garza Strip?”
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:17 pm Does his wife have a “Garza Strip?”
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:17 pm Does his wife have a “Garza Strip?”
lol

Might be too soon.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

It’s really a testament to our depth especially in our front court. Garza would be a rotational player on almost every team in the league.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

I'm worried that the lad just isn't getting enough court time to foster more growth. 379 minutes his first season, 264 the next, and a quarter the way thru this year, he's got... 16. He's on track right now to play around 55 minutes all season. Not the right direction for a player who has clearly improved. And I don't think he's playing in the g either. Limboland.

As feared, only three games played on the Iowa squad this season. 37/13 with 2 bpg. Just killing it. But he's hardly getting court time. I wonder what the plan is cuz I hope there is one.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:21 pm I'm worried that the lad just isn't getting enough court time to foster more growth. 379 minutes his first season, 264 the next, and a quarter the way thru this year, he's got... 16. He's on track right now to play around 55 minutes all season. Not the right direction for a player who has clearly improved. And I don't think he's playing in the g either. Limboland.

As feared, only three games played on the Iowa squad this season. 37/13 with 2 bpg. Just killing it. But he's hardly getting court time. I wonder what the plan is cuz I hope there is one.
It’s early. I think the Wolves expect an injury to the 3somenbig men at some point and Garza steps in.

it’s an embarrassment of riches of big men we have on our hands.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:21 pm I'm worried that the lad just isn't getting enough court time to foster more growth. 379 minutes his first season, 264 the next, and a quarter the way thru this year, he's got... 16. He's on track right now to play around 55 minutes all season. Not the right direction for a player who has clearly improved. And I don't think he's playing in the g either. Limboland.

Assume an injury pops up soon AND don't forget the financial implications after this season. Having Luka here is a benefit and my guess is he's plenty patient being a bench guy for the top team right now.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i know he's patient and loves being here, all that. but if he simply isn't ever getting time on the court in the nba OR in the G, that feels like lost development time. gotta keep playing, right?
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

If he's unhappy not dressing every game, it sure doesn't show. He's the first guy up and high-fiving teammates every single stoppage in play.
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

feekdogg wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:09 pm If he's unhappy not dressing every game, it sure doesn't show. He's the first guy up and high-fiving teammates every single stoppage in play.
[/quote

Biweekly direct deposits of NBA money can keep a guy chipper.

Show u are a team player and you can make minimum plus for 12 years as a skilled big.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Converted to a standard deal, about time!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Obviously brought on to do battle in the playoffs with AD. And like my mama always said "two eyebrows are better than one".
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

We got him?
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

LordNu wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:23 pmWe got him?
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Probably means they don’t expect Towns back in time for the playoffs.

- Isaac Asimov
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

My question about Garza is this: Last night, when no one could buy a bucket - should he have played? That is pretty much his thing.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:02 pm My question about Garza is this: Last night, when no one could buy a bucket - should he have played? That is pretty much his thing.
I’d have liked to have seen them let him cook. Dude looks like he could drop 20 in a quarter if they just fed him over and over.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:32 am
somuchyummy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:02 pm My question about Garza is this: Last night, when no one could buy a bucket - should he have played? That is pretty much his thing.
I’d have liked to have seen them let him cook. Dude looks like he could drop 20 in a quarter if they just fed him over and over.
I don't know if he'd get that. But he's very good at getting a bucket. And we virtually had NO ONE capable of that in the Phoenix game. I would guess feeding Luka in the post while being guarded by back-up Drew Eubanks would have yielded some results.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:55 am
I don't know if he'd get that. But he's very good at getting a bucket. And we virtually had NO ONE capable of that in the Phoenix game. I would guess feeding Luka in the post while being guarded by back-up Drew Eubanks would have yielded some results.
Not really 20—but he definitely can feed off certain matchups. His energy is undeniable.

I just doubt he sees enough time as the playoff roster shrinks.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:57 pm

Not really 20—but he definitely can feed off certain matchups. His energy is undeniable.

Me too. He's a great garbage man, but I don't know if he can be effective against NBA starters for meaningful minutes right now. I think a lot of his shit will get rejected by the Anthony Davis of the world. And he's kind of a black hole right now. And he can't guard anyone. That's some bad combo stuff right there. But he's got upside and is a worthwhile guy to keep on the roster and continue to develop. Some of that stuff I just said was once true of Naz Reid.

- Isaac Asimov
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:18 pm

Me too. He's a great garbage man, but I don't know if he can be effective against NBA starters for meaningful minutes right now. I think a lot of his shit will get rejected by the Anthony Davis of the world. And he's kind of a black hole right now. And he can't guard anyone. That's some bad combo stuff right there. But he's got upside and is a worthwhile guy to keep on the roster and continue to develop. Some of that stuff I just said was once true of Naz Reid.
I said that the other night and took shit for it. :lol:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

But it doesn't always have to be garbage time. If Luka can score 16 points in 8 minutes of garbage time the other night, is he unable to score against a backup C like Drew Eubanks in an earlier part of a game? Does Drew Eubanks have the wherewithal to stop Luka from scoring? I don't think so. If we are playing the Pelicans and having a hard time scoring, are backup Cs Larry Nance or Jeremiah Robinson-Earl going to stop Luka's O? Again, i don't think so. And I think there are plenty of backup situations around the league that are similar. The Lakers backup is Jaxson Hayes. So I'm not suggesting sacrificing winning in order to develop Luka - I'm just wondering if, on nights we can't seem to score, wouldn't Garza be an actual weapon to use against opponent's second teams in order to get some points on the board?
Last edited by somuchyummy on Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

SHAFA wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:29 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:18 pm

I said that the other night and took shit for it. :lol:
Again. I like Garza and think he’s worth continued development to see if he can, like Reid, work himself into a useful piece. I think we all see that and want that. I think some folks fall in love with the “diamond in the rough” story and get blinded to the real work these guys have to do. He becomes “he who shall not be criticized” to some and they start spouting nonsense about jettisoning established guys to clear PT for him. That makes sense if we’re a 22-60 type squad like we have been for so many years, but when you’re a competitive team, that’s absurd. Currently, we need to shift our mindset to one about maximizing the talent we have to see how far it can go and let Iowa develop the young guys.

- Isaac Asimov
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Nothing wrong with Garza on offense/shooting ability and rebounding (for who he is), it’s his ability to guard the opposing 4-5.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

ForCaleb wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:24 pm Nothing wrong with Garza on offense/shooting ability and rebounding (for who he is), it’s his ability to guard the opposing 4-5.
Well, Jaxson Hayes went 19/10 on 8 of 9 shooting with 6 stocks last night against Rudy and Naz. I'm not advocating for Garza to get major time. We've got three really good Cs on the team when everyone's healthy - so our 4th simply won't see the floor much. But I'm not sure Luka is the defensive liability he's made out to be. He's a hard worker - and against the 2nd and 3rd string backups of the league, that seems like it'd be enough - especially considering his O. I don't know what got into Hayes' pants last night.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

ForCaleb wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:24 pm Nothing wrong with Garza on offense/shooting ability and rebounding (for who he is), it’s his ability to guard the opposing 4-5.
Spot on... and with the amount of quality defensive players on the Wolves, Finch should be able to use him a bit (if needed).
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

I’m the biggest Garza supporter on here. I was the one that said I’d like to see him get more minutes. But there was context!

I said especially with Towns out that he should get some sporadic minutes, ESPECIALLY in a game like Phoenix where we couldn’t buy a bucket if we tried. Why not see if he could ignite a spark with his offensive game?? No one else was.

But in normal games like the Lakers where Naz, Gobert, and to even some extent, KA are playing good, I’m not bitching about Garza not getting minutes.

Obviously when Towns comes back, those sporadic minutes shrink even further unless an emergency happens.

Nowhere did i say Garza should be getting major minutes every game.
Last edited by aztimberwolves on Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

aztimberwolves wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:00 pm I’m the biggest Garza supporter on here. I was th wine they soda i’d like to see him get more minutes. But there was context!

I said especially with Towns out that he should get some sporadic minutes, ESPECIALLY in a game like Phoenix where we couldn’t buy a bucket if we tried. Why not see if he could ignite a spark with his offensive game?? No one else was.

But in normal games like the Lakers where Naz, Gobert, and to even some external, KA are playing good, I’m not bitching about Garza not getting minutes.

Obviously when Towns comes back, those sporadic minutes shrink even further unless an emergency happens.

Nowhere did i say Garza should be getting major minutes every game/
I think you need to re-read that thread to get the correct context.

I called him a black hole, which he is, but then also gave him credit for his improvement in a side convo with someone else.

At that point you jumped in with: “What’s he supposed to do, not shoot?” and “I’m surprised he didn’t get more run this year.”

And my point stands: until recently he was on a two-way with a limited number of available days and basically fifth on the depth chart of a pretty healthy squad sitting in the top 3 in the conference all year.

If you want to go through the schedule and find games where: 1) he was available and 2) it would’ve been beneficial to get him more minutes, be my guest.

I’ll be over here having fun watching a team at the top while not worrying about the 13th man.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

SHAFA wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:21 pm
aztimberwolves wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:00 pm I’m the biggest Garza supporter on here. I was th wine they soda i’d like to see him get more minutes. But there was context!

But in normal games like the Lakers where Naz, Gobert, and to even some external, KA are playing good, I’m not bitching about Garza not getting minutes.

Nowhere did i say Garza should be getting major minutes every game/
I think you need to re-read that thread to get the correct context.

I called him a black hole, which he is, but then also gave him credit for his improvement in a side convo with someone else.

At that point you jumped in with: “What’s he supposed to do, not shoot?” and “I’m surprised he didn’t get more run this year.”

And my point stands: until recently he was on a two-way with a limited number of available days and basically fifth on the depth chart of a pretty healthy squad sitting in the top 3 in the conference all year.

If you want to go through the schedule and find games where: 1) he was available and 2) it would’ve been beneficial to get him more minutes, be my guest.

I’ll be over here having fun watching a team at the top while not worrying about the 13th man.
And that context also was to ask what's Garza supposed to do when he's on the floor with Minott, Moore, Miller, and whoever else? Pass the ball to guys proven cant throw the ball into the ocean at this point? He was 7-10 not 0-10, not like he was just chucking bricks. Nor was he out there with Edwards and the rest of the starters shooting everything and anything.

If you watched the Denver game when every big was out, and Garza was forced into action, he more than held his own and was not a black hole. He even played pretty decent D on Jokic considering the circumstances.

And again, Im not worried about it. Exact words were surprised he hasn't gotten more minutes with the injuries, that's all. Nothing more, nothing less.