Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

No Roof a Problem?

A place to discuss the MN Twins
Tony Bongwater

Re: No Roof a Problem?

Post by Tony Bongwater »

Mikes probably correct in that they were looking for any reason to cancel this game. Make no mistake though. We all knew this year would come sooner or later. They still decided not to put a roof on it. I think that's the right decision, but I think the scheduling was done very poorly.

First off, why are we playing the Mariners in April, in Minnesota? You know it can snow and be cold in early April in Minnesota and you schedule a west coast team to come in here. Now since it did in fact get cold and snowy you have to fit a make up game, god knows when.

Second, why a ten game homestand? I personally think it'll be warmer than forecasted, but it was close to disastrous in terms of attendance, and still could be depending on the rain.

I get getting us a few home games at the start of the season, they can't all be in Tampa Bay and Houston, but schedule an early White Sox or Royals series early at home that way if it gets cancelled we've got twenty seven more chances to throw a double header in. And if you must have us play west coast teams in April, how about doing it on the west coast?
Slava Ukrijina 💙💛🇺🇦💙💛
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

minnemike wrote: ↑Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:50 pm
Sidewinder2k2 wrote: ↑Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:41 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: ↑Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:20 pm They playing today, or nah?
Nah. I guess the prospect of snow at 3 deferred it.
I call bullshit. Snow is already forecasted to miss and the game could be 5 innings complete by 3pm.

They canceled this because they now have the numbers from the first two disappointing fan showings at these cold temp games.
Makeup games are always worse than the original in terms of attendance. I guess that this means we can push Hughes back to starting against The White Sox instead of Houston.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Tony Bongwater wrote: ↑Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:41 pm Mikes probably correct in that they were looking for any reason to cancel this game. Make no mistake though. We all knew this year would come sooner or later. They still decided not to put a roof on it. I think that's the right decision, but I think the scheduling was done very poorly.

First off, why are we playing the Mariners in April, in Minnesota? You know it can snow and be cold in early April in Minnesota and you schedule a west coast team to come in here. Now since it did in fact get cold and snowy you have to fit a make up game, god knows when.

Second, why a ten game homestand? I personally think it'll be warmer than forecasted, but it was close to disastrous in terms of attendance, and still could be depending on the rain.

I get getting us a few home games at the start of the season, they can't all be in Tampa Bay and Houston, but schedule an early White Sox or Royals series early at home that way if it gets cancelled we've got twenty seven more chances to throw a double header in. And if you must have us play west coast teams in April, how about doing it on the west coast?
You're spot on about the schedule. The 10 game home stand doesn't bother me with the Puerto Rico trip, but why we are playing out of division teams is beyond me.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

sounds like plenty of fans upset with them canceling from the article i read this morning in the strib.

The Twins had already played in worse weather this year, at home and on the road.

So they took a lashing for postponing Sunday’s third game against the Mariners, citing the cold and snow.

“It’s lame,” Monica Surber said as she jogged past Target Field on Sunday afternoon. “They could have gotten enough innings in to count for a game.”

The delay came a week after the Twins jabbed fans reluctant to go to Thursday’s frigid home opener.

“Am I missing something? Aren’t we supppsed to be the #BoldNorth?” Twins President Dave St. Peter tweeted last Monday.

On Sunday, St. Peter said Major League Baseball and players for both the Mariners and Twins supported the decision to postpone Sunday’s 1:10 p.m. game, the third in the series.

The Twins are “pretty beat up from playing in 27 degrees yesterday,” he said about Saturday’s second game.
ALLBSMODE

Post by ALLBSMODE »

I was going to my first Twins game at Target field on Sunday, weather be damned. It was a birthday gift for my son, who's never been to a Twins game. We were 80 miles from home when I got a call from my wife telling me the game had been postponed. If it wasn't for my wife calling me, I wouldn't have known anything until we were at the stadium. I didn't get any notifications of the postponement until an hour after the announcement was made. In todays world, how is that even possible? Thankfully my wife saved me an extra 50 miles of driving. And of course their makeup date doesn't work with my son's or my schedule.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

ALLBSMODE wrote: ↑Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:11 pm I was going to my first Twins game at Target field on Sunday, weather be damned. It was a birthday gift for my son, who's never been to a Twins game. We were 80 miles from home when I got a call from my wife telling me the game had been postponed. If it wasn't for my wife calling me, I wouldn't have known anything until we were at the stadium. I didn't get any notifications of the postponement until an hour after the announcement was made. In todays world, how is that even possible? Thankfully my wife saved me an extra 50 miles of driving. And of course their makeup date doesn't work with my son's or my schedule.
T's and P's.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

ALLBSMODE wrote: ↑Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:11 pm I was going to my first Twins game at Target field on Sunday, weather be damned. It was a birthday gift for my son, who's never been to a Twins game. We were 80 miles from home when I got a call from my wife telling me the game had been postponed. If it wasn't for my wife calling me, I wouldn't have known anything until we were at the stadium. I didn't get any notifications of the postponement until an hour after the announcement was made. In todays world, how is that even possible? Thankfully my wife saved me an extra 50 miles of driving. And of course their makeup date doesn't work with my son's or my schedule.
Probably would cost Jim too much to have a message delivery system. They needed this new stadium so they could compete! IALTO!
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Rain checks are good for any game.....
You don't have to go the rescheduled one.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Wondering if the cold weather might be the cause of some of what we are seeing, which won't be what we see later on...

I feel the pitching staff is benefiting right now, and the offense is not.

I think its fare to say cold weather benefits the pitchers, and we have seen them get a little lucky recently, despite having control issues...not trying to say Lynn, Odor or Gibson arent good, but I think the cold weather has something to do with their performances.

On the other hand, I feel players like Sano and LoMo are suffering a bit from the weather...not trying to use it as an excuse (you can still have a good AB without knocking it out of the park), but it is what it is.

The weather is definitely playing an affect on the team, IMO (good and bad). I feel we are two weeks out, or whenever the weather returns to normal, to seeing what each individual really is.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

bubu dubu. wrote: ↑Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:22 am Wondering if the cold weather might be the cause of some of what we are seeing, which won't be what we see later on...

I feel the pitching staff is benefiting right now, and the offense is not.

I think its fare to say cold weather benefits the pitchers, and we have seen them get a little lucky recently, despite having control issues...not trying to say Lynn, Odor or Gibson arent good, but I think the cold weather has something to do with their performances.

On the other hand, I feel players like Sano and LoMo are suffering a bit from the weather...not trying to use it as an excuse (you can still have a good AB without knocking it out of the park), but it is what it is.

The weather is definitely playing an affect on the team, IMO (good and bad). I feel we are two weeks out, or whenever the weather returns to normal, to seeing what each individual really is.
I'm sure the weather is a factor......
Never really considered how much that might be playing into Logan though.......
He's basically sitting around in this poo for maybe 45 minutes between ABs...
It could be a factor in his brutal start.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: ↑Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:33 pm
Tony Bongwater wrote: ↑Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:41 pm Mikes probably correct in that they were looking for any reason to cancel this game. Make no mistake though. We all knew this year would come sooner or later. They still decided not to put a roof on it. I think that's the right decision, but I think the scheduling was done very poorly.

You're spot on about the schedule. The 10 game home stand doesn't bother me with the Puerto Rico trip, but why we are playing out of division teams is beyond me.
This is what I don't get. Playing out of division teams this early when the weather is always questionable this time of year and knowing these teams aren't coming back to play.

Just dumb.
Miley Cyrus

Post by Miley Cyrus »

Over/Under 1.5 games played this weekend?
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Miley Cyrus wrote: ↑Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:04 am Over/Under 1.5 games played this weekend?
I'll take the under thank you....
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

over/under .5 now.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Even with a roof, attendance would have been miserable this weekend. I doubt they play tomorrow, it'll be interesting to see how they make up 3 games. Luckily thus wasn't a series versus the Reds or someone that isn't scheduled to come back to town.
The Sox and Twins both have June 4th off before a 3-game series, so that's probably going to end up being where 2 games are made up. They player's union will probably throw a fit though if they try to make them play 6 games over 4 days.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

feekdogg wrote: ↑Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:46 am Even with a roof, attendance would have been miserable this weekend. I doubt they play tomorrow, it'll be interesting to see how they make up 3 games. Luckily thus wasn't a series versus the Reds or someone that isn't scheduled to come back to town.
The Sox and Twins both have June 4th off before a 3-game series, so that's probably going to end up being where 2 games are made up. They player's union will probably throw a fit though if they try to make them play 6 games over 4 days.
I have my doubts if they would be played today even with a roof....
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

feekdogg wrote: ↑Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:46 am Even with a roof, attendance would have been miserable this weekend. I doubt they play tomorrow, it'll be interesting to see how they make up 3 games. Luckily thus wasn't a series versus the Reds or someone that isn't scheduled to come back to town.
The players union can fuck themselves, these games have to be played. Double headers are part of the game.
Miley Cyrus

Post by Miley Cyrus »

Maybe Pohlad could strike a deal with Zygi for future situations like this. Nothing like a little baseball inside a multipurpose stadium nostalgia.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Miley Cyrus wrote: ↑Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:33 pm Maybe Pohlad could strike a deal with Zygi for future situations like this. Nothing like a little baseball inside a multipurpose stadium nostalgia.
It's like 260 down the right field line. It's just not feasible.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

We all knew there would be an April like this once and awhile so we just gotta deal with it and move on.
Miley Cyrus

Post by Miley Cyrus »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: ↑Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:37 pm
Miley Cyrus wrote: ↑Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:33 pm Maybe Pohlad could strike a deal with Zygi for future situations like this. Nothing like a little baseball inside a multipurpose stadium nostalgia.
Well, shit. All I know is the Gophers played a handful of games there. Maybe make everyone bat right handed.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: ↑Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:37 pm
Joe probably still couldn't hit one out.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Sunday's game already postponed....
Makes sense........head to San Juan a little early.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

jakazz30 wrote: ↑Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:56 pm Sunday's game already postponed....
And I heard rain could be a problem there! :naners:
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Hornets wrote: ↑Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:48 pm
I'm admitting ignorance here....
Do they have power even?
Didn't something happen in the last few days that caused like 900,000 people to lose it?
(This was new, not hurricane related)

I could be wrong....I just remember a scroll on the bottom of a screen that I didn't pay much attention too.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

jakazz30 wrote: ↑Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:59 pm
Hornets wrote: ↑Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:48 pm
I'm admitting ignorance here....
Do they have power even?
Didn't something happen in the last few days that caused like 900,000 people to lose it?
(This was new, not hurricane related)

I could be wrong....I just remember a scroll on the bottom of a screen that I didn't pay much attention too.
I haven't heard anything other than the mention of rain potentially being a problem....
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

I WANT BASEBALL!!!!!!!!
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

When I’m sitting at the ballpark enjoying an ice cold beer on a nice sunshine-filled evening in July, I’ll remember that it’s all worth it.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Maybe it doesn't matter?

Royals' Boyer forced to take steering wheel after ice shatters bus windshield
https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1515604
Miley Cyrus

Post by Miley Cyrus »

2 for the price of 1 June 5th! :bday: