Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

explain the logic of a day off after the opener

A place to discuss the MN Twins
weimy froob

explain the logic of a day off after the opener

Post by weimy froob »

i don't see it.
Jimtown guy

Re: explain the logic of a day off after the opener

Post by Jimtown guy »

Because many opening games get postponed because of weather. They leave the next day open for that reason. 2 games yesterday were postponed because of weather. They will play them today now.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Jimtown guy wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:11 am Because many openings games get postponed because of weather. They leave the next day open for that reason. 2 games yesterday were postponed because of weather. They will play them today now.
but let's say that there was a game already scheduled for the next day. you still are fine if there's a postponement. right? and if it isn't postponed you are potentially wasting a fine day for baseball.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:13 am
Jimtown guy wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:11 am Because many openings games get postponed because of weather. They leave the next day open for that reason. 2 games yesterday were postponed because of weather. They will play them today now.x
but let's say that there was a game already scheduled for the next day. you still are fine if there's a postponement. right? and if it isn't postponed you are potentially wasting a fine day for baseball.
It’s just what I’ve read about it. Personally I think it’s dumb. If opener gets postponed reschedule at a later date.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Jimtown guy wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:15 am
weimy froob wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:13 am
Jimtown guy wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:11 am Because many openings games get postponed because of weather. They leave the next day open for that reason. 2 games yesterday were postponed because of weather. They will play them today now.x
It’s just what I’ve read about it. Personally I think it’s dumb. If opener gets postponed reschedule at a later date.
yeah i know that's the reasoning they use. but i can't find the logic in it. i'm with you-i think it's dumb. i want another game today.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

The opener often gets a packed house because it's the opener. The second game gets half that or less in many cities. They want to ensure the 40-60K gate.
Ketchup can be nuancy
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Ask Not wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:48 am The opener often gets a packed house because it's the opener. The second game gets half that or less in many cities. They want to ensure the 40-60K gate.
that makes some sense. but wouldn't there be a big walk up if it was the home opener on the next day? must be some numbers historically for a much smaller gate when this happened years ago. i still think it's dumb though. play ball on day two too!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

more thinking about this and i don't see how day two crowds would be much smaller than day 3 crowds after a rainout. maybe there's a back-up plan for opening day festivities that they have for day three. but i don't know why they couldn't have those same back-up plans for day two. after more thinking about it-it's still dumb.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

I hate it. Wait forever for the season to begin, then they finally play...then you have to wait again.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:05 pm I hate it. Wait forever for the season to begin, then they finally play...then you have to wait again.
yep.
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:05 pm I hate it. Wait forever for the season to begin, then they finally play...then you have to wait again.
It will be alright! Only 161 more to go! :lol:
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

bombers3shooter wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:34 pm
It will be alright! Only 161 more to go! :lol:
Wish I could be watching those 1 of 161 more tonight.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

All I know is it's gonna be mid 30's for the Twins opener....that will sure be a lot of fun!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Hornets wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:06 pm All I know is it's gonna be mid 30's for the Twins opener....that will sure be a lot of fun!
Why they need to play so many fucking games is beyond me. Even NHL and NBA is a drag of a season, makes it hard to really care abput the games until things count. MLB doubles it :zzz: Start playing in May. They could cut off playing in September too. Once football is on, many forget baseball is even still being played.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:14 pm
Hornets wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:06 pm All I know is it's gonna be mid 30's for the Twins opener....that will sure be a lot of fun!
Why they need to play so many fucking games is beyond me. Even NHL and NBA is a drag of a season, makes it hard to really care abput the games until things count. MLB doubles it :zzz: Start playing in May. They could cut off playing in September too. Once football is on, many forget baseball is even still being played.
MLB is gonna really get burned one of these years during the World Series. What happens if our boys make it and low and behold we get an 8" snow fall on November 1st and then a 2 week cod snap where we don't get above 30 degrees for day time highs? Yes, the field is heated so the snow isn't a huge issue, but who wants to watch teams runnin around when it's barely freezing temps out? No reason the season should go into November....none.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Hornets wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:17 pm
MLB is gonna really get burned one of these years during the World Series. What happens if our boys make it and low and behold we get an 8" snow fall on November 1st and then a 2 week cod snap where we don't get above 30 degrees for day time highs? Yes, the field is heated so the snow isn't a huge issue, but who wants to watch teams runnin around when it's barely freezing temps out? No reason the season should go into November....none.
I don't think there would be an issue with attendance if the Twins are playing in the World Series.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

jakazz30 wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:10 pm

I don't think there would be an issue with attendance if the Twins are playing in the World Series.
Not so much an attendance issue but just a quality of play issue.....Teams play 162 games and a couple playoff series to reach the pinnacle of their sport, then have to play wearing long underwear, stocking caps, gloves, etc.....not the way the game was meant to be played!
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Hornets wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:13 pm
jakazz30 wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:10 pm

Not so much an attendance issue but just a quality of play issue.....Teams play 162 games and a couple playoff series to reach the pinnacle of their sport, then have to play wearing long underwear, stocking caps, gloves, etc.....not the way the game was meant to be played!
Oh, I totally agree with that..
As I mentioned in the GDT yesterday there has only been 1 no-hitter on opening day in MLB history... Bob Feller in 1940..on 4/16.
Yet the season didn't go into November..

Reality is they have more days off now, play 162 instead of 154, etc...
Sure the # of games is greater now, but look at how much easier the players have it with travel.
The lack of scheduled doubleheaders plays into this also. That's basically a money grab for the owners.
So I guess I place the blame equally on players and owners on the potential of a farce in the WS at some point.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

TrueBlue wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:55 pm people pay extra to be at the FIRST game of the year.

Cant make those people attend the 17th of the year because of bad weather.

i'd buy this as a reasonable answer if the twins charged more for opening day tickets. i don't think they do though.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i think the twins will be serving free hot chocolate for all their fans the entire homestand.
tbgh

Post by tbgh »

TrueBlue wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:55 pm people pay extra to be at the FIRST game of the year.

Yes, this is the correct answer. It ensures those who are planning on saying they were at the opener can actually attend the opener.
Put 'er in the ole vise.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:53 am
i think the twins will be serving free hot chocolate for all their fans the entire homestand.
I was at KC yesterday and the hot chocolate wasn't free and there was a fee for early BP. There was not metal detector though.
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Going to Twins Angels in Mid May.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

JPM wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:01 pm
weimy froob wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:53 am
I was at KC yesterday and the hot chocolate wasn't free and there was a fee for early BP. There was not metal detector though.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....

From the Royals official sight:

"Use of Metal Detection Screening Equipment at all gates for all games"

Nice bit though..
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

tbgh wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:48 pm

Yes, this is the correct answer. It ensures those who are planning on saying they were at the opener can actually attend the opener.
if you're a season ticket owner it wouldn't matter. right? if not and you're one of that maybe 5% of the crowd who aren't season ticket holders and that thinks it's some kind of status symbol or whatever it is to say they were at opening day? why couldn't they just buy a ticket for the game the next day so they could say they were at it? i just don't see how MLB comes up with some plausible rationale to give up a day in the schedule such as the one after opening day. just my thinking on it-and i understand it's not that big of a deal. still-for the reason stated above? a very poor one imo.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Was no metal detector. Was an occasional dude who got wanded but no walk through metal detector.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

JPM wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:14 pm Was no metal detector. Was an occasional dude who got wanded but no walk through metal detector.
Obviously haven't been there in a couple of years.....

http://fox4kc.com/2016/03/29/metal-dete ... ans-safer/
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Was there Saturday. Didn't notice any metal detectors. Just saw a guy getting wanded.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

royals.jpg
Why do I have this?
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

royals white sox.jpg
Why do I have this? weird?