Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Official 23-24 State High School Hockey Tourney Chat***

A place to discuss the MN Wild
weimy froob

Re: ***Official 23-24 State High School Hockey Tourney Chat***

Post by weimy froob »

ocsid wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:27 pm
weimy froob wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:22 pm
ocsid wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:52 pm

That's not the worst idea I've heard.

One thing I've heard is that the MSHSL doesn't really care if the best team wins the title. That geographic representation is much more important to them. That's not just a hockey thing - it holds true in other sports as well.
i was going to say the same thing. the fly in the ointment is how are you going to get those first eight games played? it would probably have to be a super saturday before the tournament resumes on thursday.
Those games just replace the section finals. It's not really that different except the teams would, in some cases, play a different team than they otherwise would.

But I don't think the league would want a tournament where half the AA teams come from the SW metro.
if the semi final games are consistently multi-goal routs like last night they might. could take 10-15 years for it to be implemented though.
ocsid

Post by ocsid »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:29 pm
ocsid wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:27 pm
weimy froob wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:22 pm

i was going to say the same thing. the fly in the ointment is how are you going to get those first eight games played? it would probably have to be a super saturday before the tournament resumes on thursday.
Those games just replace the section finals. It's not really that different except the teams would, in some cases, play a different team than they otherwise would.

But I don't think the league would want a tournament where half the AA teams come from the SW metro.
if the semi final games are consistently multi-goal routs like last night they might. could take 10-15 years for it to be implemented though.
That's where I'm wondering if they won't create a super class like they essentially have in football with class 6A. The difference is you can realistically divide football and basketball by enrollment. Hockey is different. There are big schools playing class A hockey, or having to form co-ops because of demographics
Proud member of the Low-T Posse®
TheLokNesMonster

Post by TheLokNesMonster »

Edina has a few nice end to end rushes. Pretty physical game so far.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

good first period. the edina goalie makes one save on that PP while looking the other way. a hornets defenseman's stick stopped another potential goal.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

chanhassen rewarded for their effort.
ocsid

Post by ocsid »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:16 pm chanhassen rewarded for their effort.
From the blue line no less!
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Sellingguy wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:58 pm
Justin Kase wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:20 pm
Sellingguy wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:32 am So the discussion at the local establishment the other day was about the so called imbalance.
One of the people in the conversation is a Stillwater Hockey parent.
There simply is not anything you can do to make it far/balanced. Remember Hermantown screamed for how long about St Thomas. And once St Thomas moved up, Hermantown didnt automatically win. I think the next 2 years they lost to East Grand Forks.

Is New Ulm a top 8 team in Single A? I doubt it. Or Northfield?
Yeah a lot of good hockey players never make it to state. That is life.
There’s so many ways it can be looked at, and I think it currently is as good as it’s going to get. Up here, with so many Single A teams, there are certainly many clamoring for Hermantown to opt up….. maybe they should, maybe there should be some sort of factor based on recent history that moves teams up and down, but what a scheduling nightmare that creates for school AD’s. Teams typically have their traditions of playing certain other teams. If they are made to change class, they should play a schedule that matches their class size, right? What a domino effect that has on many teams’ schedules.

I also believe that geographical rules for Sections need to be kept in place to some extent…. They do get shuffled a bit here and there, with many of the schools far nearer the Metro area now being included with the Iron Range teams. Way back in the ‘60’s, there were more powerhouses up north, and I can’t remember exactly how it worked, but there was a “back door”, that Range 2nd place teams could play the Duluth area (I think) champ, and get to State that way. If I remember correctly, Hibbing AND Greenway actually made it to State one year. I think one of the years Greenway won it, they had advanced through that back door. Might have even been ‘67.
The bottom line is this. They need to stop acting like ever kid needs a shot at state. Look at basketball and football. It is stupid. one idea i saw floated was going to 16 teams for AA since that is the one with the biggest group of good teams not making it. Your section semi's become the game to go to state.
There are far fewer arguments about getting "every kid to state" and more about getting the best teams to state. So many of the better programs are concentrated in just a few sections thereby watering down the end product at least on Thursday. Tonka, Wayzata, BSM, HM, Maple Grove and Andover alone are better than 2 or 3 teams that played on Thursday.

I don't know the best solution and I'd almost rather they not make any more changes.

Edina kills of a crucial PK to keep the score 1-0 in favor of Chan.

btw as I noted earlier, watch #7 cheap shot #16 more than long enough after the 1st goal was scored.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

chanhassen outplayed edina big time that period--but they only got the one goal. that might be their regret at the end of the night.
Tundra Scout

Post by Tundra Scout »

One on Chan. Get a few in the third and put these calendars away
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

this game is tied and edina is skating much better. chanhassen has to get their skates going again.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

that didn't look like a penalty to me.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

26 saved a goal.
Tundra Scout

Post by Tundra Scout »

Unfortunately the cake eaters have awakened
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

dumb penalty and now edina's got the lead. i kinda figured that chanhassen needed to get more out of that second period. now they have to get one to tie this game up and edina has been skating much better this period. they just hit the post--that doesn't count.
mnbob70

Post by mnbob70 »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:33 pm chanhassen outplayed edina big time that period--but they only got the one goal. that might be their regret at the end of the night.
You were right
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

good chances. not a great chance. too many shots wide of the net for chanhassen in this game too. edina wins.
Miller73

Post by Miller73 »

That was a good game...The goalie was the difference. Think penalties were the difference...the checking from behind could have been 5....and Edina took advantage on their power play, and did a good job not giving up more clean shots. Definitely the most exciting atmosphere of any high school game regardless of sport
TheLokNesMonster

It’s official: Munger is the Lord of Hockey.

Girls and Boys champs? Does that ever happen?…except in Edina.

From his glory days to his golden years. Munger has lived a lifetime of Hornet Hockey superiority.

God bless the capital city of the state of hockey!
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

ocsid wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:45 pm
Hornets wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:22 pm
TheLokNesMonster wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:44 am

Munger was said to be the Billy Smith of his day.
What does that even mean? I wasn't a goalie dontcha know??
you also didn't actually play for Edina.
Can you please provide me with the quote in which I ever said I played for Edina? Of course you can't because I nevah said that....you are lying! :lol: Anger and jealousy makes a person type strange things! :lol:
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
ocsid

Post by ocsid »

Hornets wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:08 am
Hornets wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:22 pm
What does that even mean? I wasn't a goalie dontcha know??
Can you please provide me with the quote in which I ever said I played for Edina? Of course you can't because I nevah said that....you are lying! :lol: Anger and jealousy makes a person type strange things! :lol:
I didn't say you claimed to play for Edina. Pay attention.
I said you admitted to NOT playing for Edina. You said you played for a private school, though not saying which one.
But you don't dispel those who assume here that you did play for Edina. Kind of a stolen valor thing with you.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Proud of the Hornets for yet another state title. As I listened to the crowd boo as Edina took the ice it gave me goosebumps! Kudos to Curt Giles and after listening to his interview with Louie after the game it seems that he might be staying around for awhile!

Congratulations to all the state tourney participants and I'm already looking forward to next years tourney!!

Think I mentioned this to Weimy....I played rec hockey with Bobby Cowan's father for a few years back in the late 80's and was thrilled to watch young Bobby rip last night's game winner!!
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

ocsid wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:11 am
Hornets wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:08 am

I didn't say you claimed to play for Edina. Pay attention.
I said you admitted to NOT playing for Edina. You said you played for a private school, though not saying which one.
But you don't dispel those who assume here that you did play for Edina. Kind of a stolen valor thing with you.
LOL...trying to dig yourself out of another hole! Nope, you're wrong. I've never even hinted that I played for Edina. I did play in the EHA through 8th grade before transferring to the private school. I'll let you decide how much effort you want to put into figuring out which school that was!! Keep on hatin though...it's what you do best! :lol:
TheLokNesMonster

Hornets wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:13 am Proud of the Hornets for yet another state title. As I listened to the crowd boo as Edina took the ice it gave me goosebumps! Kudos to Curt Giles and after listening to his interview with Louie after the game it seems that he might be staying around for awhile!

Congratulations to all the state tourney participants and I'm already looking forward to next years tourney!!

Think I mentioned this to Weimy....I played rec hockey with Bobby Cowan's father for a few years back in the late 80's and was thrilled to watch young Bobby rip last night's game winner!!
Cowan kind of wore a black hat in this tourney. As well as he played, he had that unnecessary open ice hit on that kid for GR and some other chippy play. He was a big factor though.

Ike coached for 33, so it would be cool if Giles could hang around at least a few more years.
TheLokNesMonster

Hey Gus, was the tournament really great this year? There were a couple OT’s and the game last night was a one goal thing. Still. This year there was no magic.
mnbob70

Post by mnbob70 »

Friends in flow places
https://youtu.be/Mi-Kx-bjqis
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

TheLokNesMonster wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:00 pm Hey Gus, was the tournament really great this year? There were a couple OT’s and the game last night was a one goal thing. Still. This year there was no magic.
While always good, this year did not have plays or even games that really stood out.

It thought the championship game would be a run and gun hockey game.
But it never really developed. Chans speed showed up in back checking.
Lots of middle of the ice action.
TheLokNesMonster

Sellingguy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:34 am
TheLokNesMonster wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:00 pm Hey Gus, was the tournament really great this year? There were a couple OT’s and the game last night was a one goal thing. Still. This year there was no magic.
While always good, this year did not have plays or even games that really stood out.

True. There was no room out there for quick breakouts. #4 D for Edina had at least 3 end to end solo runs because there were no lanes to pass.
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

TheLokNesMonster wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:58 am
Sellingguy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:34 am

True. There was no room out there for quick breakouts. #4 D for Edina had at least 3 end to end solo runs because there were no lanes to pass.
I dont think there were any long runs with out a faceoff as well. That is what I hoped would happen. Some nice 4-6 minute runs of action.
Leon

Post by Leon »

question about Nanne's 60 year run at the Tourney --- how did he get time away from his NHL career to be able to make the tournament every year ?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Leon wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:50 pm question about Nanne's 60 year run at the Tourney --- how did he get time away from his NHL career to be able to make the tournament every year ?
he missed those games on the nights they played. never missed the whole tournament though.