Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2024 MLB Hot Stove

A place to discuss the MN Twins
Miley Cyrus

Re: 2024 MLB Hot Stove

Post by Miley Cyrus »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:48 pm rule changes for 2024

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-rule-chang ... 26234.html
Costco combo pizza and cleared bases to start extra innings. 2 things that may never come back.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:35 pm Maybe if they "splurged" and signed more guys like Gray, they wouldn't have to give up so many prospects to get decent pieces back. If the team isn't performing by the ASG, trade for prospects yourself, and if the Grays end up leading in FA, you still get draft picks (essentially prospects) in return.

Even if you sign a Juan Soto, you can still trade him for pieces and another team will pay the rest of his contract.
The dirty little secret is their having troubles signing impactful pitchers in free agency, for a myriad of reasons. They have to trade for the Sonny Gray Pablo types.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Still waiting for that first bit move by Falvine...I feel it coming!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

The Twins made their first roster addition of the offseason Wednesday, signing righthanded reliever Josh Staumont to a one-year contract.

Staumont, a second-round draft pick of the Royals in 2015, is a five-year major league veteran who was not offered a contract for next season by Kansas City. The righthander's 2023 season was cut short by surgery to correct thoracic outlet syndrome, and Staumont did not pitch after June 5.

The injury was blamed for Staumont's sudden lack of success after a strong start to the season last spring. Staumont gave up only two runs over his first 10 appearances and his ERA on May 23, after 16 outings, stood at 2.93. But his fastball velocity dropped — he averaged 95.6 miles per hour for the season, down 2.5 mph from his career best in 2020 — and Staumont gave up seven runs over his final 4⅔ innings before being shut down and placed on the 60-day injured list.
Miley Cyrus

Post by Miley Cyrus »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:21 pm The Twins made their first roster addition of the offseason Wednesday, signing righthanded reliever Josh Staumont to a one-year contract.

Staumont, a second-round draft pick of the Royals in 2015, is a five-year major league veteran who was not offered a contract for next season by Kansas City. The righthander's 2023 season was cut short by surgery to correct thoracic outlet syndrome, and Staumont did not pitch after June 5.

The injury was blamed for Staumont's sudden lack of success after a strong start to the season last spring. Staumont gave up only two runs over his first 10 appearances and his ERA on May 23, after 16 outings, stood at 2.93. But his fastball velocity dropped — he averaged 95.6 miles per hour for the season, down 2.5 mph from his career best in 2020 — and Staumont gave up seven runs over his final 4⅔ innings before being shut down and placed on the 60-day injured list.
Best signing since Jhoulys Chacin.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Chris Sale is being dealt to Atlanta for Vaughn Grissom. So the Twins miss out on Sale, and that also takes to Red Sox off the table as a lossible landing spot for Polanco.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Montas to the Reds

DO SOMETHING, SHITBIRDS!!!
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

feekdogg wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:09 pm Montas to the Reds

DO SOMETHING, SHITBIRDS!!!
Patience Dawg...patience!!
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Minnesota Twins

The Twins will remain a work in progress until they can clear payroll space and/or add pitching by trading outfielder Max Kepler and infielder Jorge Polanco. We can only grade what they've done, and so far that ain't much. Their one addition has been live-armed reliever Josh Staumont, a nice upside play recovering from surgery to correct thoracic outlet syndrome. Meanwhile, they've lost Sonny Gray, Kenta Maeda, Tyler Mahle, and Emilio Pagán to greener pastures. We believe the Twins are in for a better second half that will keep them atop the Central. For now, we feel obligated to flunk them.

Grade: F
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

feekdogg wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:41 am Minnesota Twins

The Twins will remain a work in progress until they can clear payroll space and/or add pitching by trading outfielder Max Kepler and infielder Jorge Polanco. We can only grade what they've done, and so far that ain't much. Their one addition has been live-armed reliever Josh Staumont, a nice upside play recovering from surgery to correct thoracic outlet syndrome. Meanwhile, they've lost Sonny Gray, Kenta Maeda, Tyler Mahle, and Emilio Pagán to greener pastures. We believe the Twins are in for a better second half that will keep them atop the Central. For now, we feel obligated to flunk them.

Grade: F
It's a fair grade up to this point for a team that appeared to be on the upswing. Of course opening day is still almost 3 months away so Falvine still has time to do something, and at this point Dawg I'm still confident that they will!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i don't think they can find what they think is fair value for kepler and polanco. that has to be it, right? anyways i don't think it's the worst thing in the world if they bring back kep after what he did in the second half of the season. i still would like to see them get a good arm for polanco. someone has to be willing to pony up for him, right?
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:59 am i don't think they can find what they think is fair value for kepler and polanco. that has to be it, right? anyways i don't think it's the worst thing in the world if they bring back kep after what he did in the second half of the season. i still would like to see them get a good arm for polanco. someone has to be willing to pony up for him, right?
Part of the problem is that they both play overflow positions defensively. If you want a guy in your lineup, but your DH spot if full, you try to jam in a guy at 1st, 2nd or corner OF, so there can't be many teams looking to fill holes at those spots. Sure, you can play Polanco at SS or 3rd in a pinch if you're willing to put up with the defensive liability, but that's not ideal. Picking up the options on both made sense, but I think they might end up having to pay those numbers.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

feekdogg wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:17 am
weimy froob wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:59 am i don't think they can find what they think is fair value for kepler and polanco. that has to be it, right? anyways i don't think it's the worst thing in the world if they bring back kep after what he did in the second half of the season. i still would like to see them get a good arm for polanco. someone has to be willing to pony up for him, right?
Part of the problem is that they both play overflow positions defensively. If you want a guy in your lineup, but your DH spot if full, you try to jam in a guy at 1st, 2nd or corner OF, so there can't be many teams looking to fill holes at those spots. Sure, you can play Polanco at SS or 3rd in a pinch if you're willing to put up with the defensive liability, but that's not ideal. Picking up the options on both made sense, but I think they might end up having to pay those numbers.
i can't see a team wanting to play polanco on the left side of the infield unless they have a major hole there and want to hope by plugging him in for a season. too bad defensively. i'd think the best bet is if a team thinks they need to upgrade their second base position offensively and i don't have any idea how many teams are out there that want to do that--and if they do they'd be willing to trade what the twins think is fair value for that.

i just want to see julien get the ABs this year to see what he can do in a full season.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:28 am
feekdogg wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:17 am
i can't see a team wanting to play polanco on the left side of the infield unless they have a major hole there and want to hope by plugging him in for a season. too bad defensively. i'd think the best bet is if a team thinks they need to upgrade their second base position offensively and i don't have any idea how many teams are out there that want to do that--and if they do they'd be willing to trade what the twins think is fair value for that.

i just want to see julien get the ABs this year to see what he can do in a full season.
Polanco's appeal is that he's a switch hitter with some power. You would think the Twins could get some value for that in return. Maybe they're asking too much for him.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

as to kepler.

Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:10 pm as to kepler.

Had really gotten bored with Keps act until he started mashin again last season. I won't weep if he is dealt but I'd be more than fine if he stays. I think he figured things out after a tough stretch and look for him to have a solid 2024 wherever he may be...
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Mariners traded Robbie Ray for Mitch Haniger (former Mariner) and Anthony Descalfani. He's coming off injury, but I'd have taken a shot at him for that price.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

feekdogg wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:48 pm Mariners traded Robbie Ray for Mitch Haniger (former Mariner) and Anthony Descalfani. He's coming off injury, but I'd have taken a shot at him for that price.
Falvine soon to pounce Dawg!!
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Kinda had the feeling it would be a slow offseason for the Twins, but didn't expect it to be THIS slow....My goodness :cry:
Roy D.

Post by Roy D. »

Where does Bauer end up? Oakland?
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Marcus Stroman to the Yankees.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
salamander

Post by salamander »

feekdogg wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:13 pm Ohtani to the Dodgers.
10 years 700 million.
:naners: :naners: This is what real teams do meh bois!
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

I have a feeling that Falvine is about ready to pounce!
Style

Post by Style »

Hornets wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:43 am I have a feeling that Falvine is about ready to pounce!
Say more....!
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

The official team depth chart on Twins.com has 3 starting pitchers listed. Spring training is less than a month away. Shit or get off the pot.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

feekdogg wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:40 am The official team depth chart on Twins.com has 3 starting pitchers listed. Spring training is less than a month away. Shit or get off the pot.
I think they're leaning toward shit.
Ketchup can be nuancy
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

for a second I thought Twins actually signed a real player then saw the astros logo.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Twins Sign Ex-Yankees Veteran Hurler After Up-And-Down Season

https://www.si.com/mlb/yankees/news/twi ... eason-pat3
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

They going Farmin' for their back-end rotation?
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.