Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Did PJ igive the Ol "It All Falls on Me"?

Home for Gopher football topics
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Did PJ igive the Ol "It All Falls on Me"?

Post by WannaBeProGolferGuy »

Didn't watch the game as I knew what the outcome would be. If I was smart I would have bet the over.

At any rate, during the Post-game presser did PJ say It was all on him? that is my favorite since he challenges his team to change their best but he is stubborn and never changes his best ( i.e.philosophy of running the ball 70% of the time, and play solid defense) Hey bowel movement for brains, nobody runs the wishbone any longer. Switzer wants his mink coat back

He had a great season in 2019 with Kill's recruits. But this year is an absolute dumpster fire with his recruits after he has been here 7 years--Northwestern blown 21 point lead in the 4th quarter, Illinois last second TD pass by a Freshmen FFS, last week vs Purdue, and of course today.

I am at the point that PJ is way way over his head and he will be unable to compete going forward with the addition of USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington next season.

Sadly, we can't fire him since he is the best coach we have since Holtz. But his 1980's philosophy will not cut it going forward.
feekdogg

Re: Did PJ igive the Ol "It All Falls on Me"?

Post by feekdogg »

I hope an anvil falls on him.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:21 pm Didn't watch the game as I knew what the outcome would be. If I was smart I would have bet the over.

At any rate, during the Post-game presser did PJ say It was all on him? that is my favorite since he challenges his team to change their best but he is stubborn and never changes his best ( i.e.philosophy of running the ball 70% of the time, and play solid defense) Hey bowel movement for brains, nobody runs the wishbone any longer. Switzer wants his mink coat back

He had a great season in 2019 with Kill's recruits. But this year is an absolute dumpster fire with his recruits after he has been here 7 years--Northwestern blown 21 point lead in the 4th quarter, Illinois last second TD pass by a Freshmen FFS, last week vs Purdue, and of course today.

I am at the point that PJ is way way over his head and he will be unable to compete going forward with the addition of USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington next season.

Sadly, we can't fire him since he is the best coach we have since Holtz. But his 1980's philosophy will not cut it going forward.
He’s not the best HC since Holtz.

Kill was at the very least equal and Mace is close. He’s nothing special.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

yeah if you watched that first half you saw a guy who coached scared. no way can he be their best coach since lou.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

I think we can all agree that other than Lou this squad had not been led by a great coach for close to 60 years.....
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
tbgh

Post by tbgh »

Pj actually threw this notion aside after the game when he claimed this year was actually a realignment year. Wtf? Said he didn’t want to mention that until now for some reason.

Everything he says is bull shit.
Put 'er in the ole vise.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

tbgh wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:23 pm Pj actually threw this notion aside after the game when he claimed this year was actually a realignment year. Wtf? Said he didn’t want to mention that until now for some reason.

What the fuck is a realignment year?
tbgh

Post by tbgh »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:04 pm
tbgh wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:23 pm Pj actually threw this notion aside after the game when he claimed this year was actually a realignment year. Wtf? Said he didn’t want to mention that until now for some reason.

Something pj made up to cover for a four game losing streak.
Put 'er in the ole vise.
hategreenticemase

tbgh wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:11 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:04 pm

Something pj made up to cover for a four game losing streak.
I get that, but what is he even trying to say? What's the angle?
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Post by WannaBeProGolferGuy »

He (PJ ) is covering up for his lack of "Competitive Depth" statement from his earlier years here. It's his way of saying well the Transfer Portal and NIL was never a thing so I get a pass.
Which to a certain extent I agree, but it does not excuse him for such an awful product in November.

I get where the Transfer Portal and NIL is a big deal. But you have to adjust to the times and position yourself to succeed. It's not the early 2000's where kids commit and do not de-commit, and they enroll on campus and red-shirt their 1st year to "adjust" to college life. The landscape has changed and PJ needs to be flexible and agile enough to change with it. The Ol Tressel Ball ain't gonna cut it any longer
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Nothing he said was wrong and people need to get a fucking grip on their expectations. Minnesota was nearly dead last in the B1G for receiving donations from boosters over a (20-year?) period and with that you can guarantee NIL money is similar. PJ isn't without faults (especially regarding the offense) and perhaps he should adjust some regarding red-shirting, but he's behind a huge 8-ball monetarily.

ffs Gophers hockey is one of the premier programs in the country and has had trouble generating funding in a state that is Top 3 for Fortune 500 companies in the country per capita, and by and large the sport has massive interest per capita.

There are very few premier NCAA programs that compete in the same metro area with 5 professional sport teams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... /territory

I just don't get the constant angst and bitching. And btw there is zero chance Jerry Kill would have survived the past 6 years in Minnesota with his health condition. The B1G is that much more intense than whatever shit conference NM whatever plays in.

btw I am not remotely saying PJ is untouchable - but people need to be realistic about what the alternatives are.
hategreenticemase

Slap Shot wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:04 pm Nothing he said was wrong and people need to get a fucking grip on their expectations. Minnesota was nearly dead last in the B1G for receiving donations from boosters over a (20-year?) period and with that you can guarantee NIL money is similar. PJ isn't without faults (especially regarding the offense) and perhaps he should adjust some regarding red-shirting, but he's behind a huge 8-ball monetarily.

ffs Gophers hockey is one of the premier programs in the country and has had trouble generating funding in a state that is Top 3 for Fortune 500 companies in the country per capita, and by and large the sport has massive interest per capita.

There are very few premier NCAA programs that compete in the same metro area with 5 professional sport teams.

I just don't get the constant angst and bitching. And btw there is zero chance Jerry Kill would have survived the past 6 years in Minnesota with his health condition. The B1G is that much more intense than whatever shit conference NM whatever plays in.

btw I am not remotely saying PJ is untouchable - but people need to be realistic about what the alternatives are.
There was nothing wrong with what he said? Are you related to him? :lol:

Is it harder to win here than other power 5 places? Absolutely. Do we have poor support monetarily and for NIL? Yep, it's disappointing and semi bewildering but not really when you stop to think about the half century of meager performance we've had with the program. What's flecks strength? He supposed to be the salesman, engaging, new wave energy inducing guy - go find the goddamn NIL money. Sell yourself and the program. Make the situation better and damn sure don't whine and cry about it and use it as an excuse.

He had an incredibly disappointing and awful season. Period. They underperformed badly, mostly because of his epic fail developing a quality QB prospect. Any nonsense he runs with now is 100% alibiing and excusing bullshit and is extremely pussy. He isn't reading his audience well and it's going to cause blowback.

Nothing wrong with what he said? Holy balls dude.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Slap Shot wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:04 pm Nothing he said was wrong and people need to get a fucking grip on their expectations. Minnesota was nearly dead last in the B1G for receiving donations from boosters over a (20-year?) period and with that you can guarantee NIL money is similar. PJ isn't without faults (especially regarding the offense) and perhaps he should adjust some regarding red-shirting, but he's behind a huge 8-ball monetarily.

This is a pocket protector take.

There is zero DEVELOPMENT happening on both sides of the ball. This team, collectively, in addition to coaching, is REGRESSING. There is nothing you can point to to say "hey, yeah we lost, but there are a couple of things that we can build upon in a few key areas".

There will always be money constraints, but there are dozens of other programs that are behind the eight-ball on money and boosters even more so than the Gophers that train, develop, and build with what they have and improve. It's just not happening here.

IMO, the money decline from boosters tells me that they don't believe in Fleck.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Northwestern could have gone winless this year and no one would have batted an eye. They're legitimately bowl eligible. I'd say they had massive depth issues, but somehow were miraculously able to overcome them. But the Gophers had running back "injuries" and got a couple of LBs hurt and it led to the worst month of Gopher football I've seen in a decade. It's the same problem that I said when he was hired. Yeah, they went undefeated in the MAC, but they beat no one to do it. He's been a head coach for a decade and he's put together exactly zero gameplans that resulted in his team winning a game that they had no business winning. I wonder how bad the exodus is going to be when the portal opens, but I'm pretty confident it's gonna be ugly.
hategreenticemase

ForCaleb wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:20 am

There is zero DEVELOPMENT happening on both sides of the ball. This team, collectively, in addition to coaching, is REGRESSING. There is nothing you can point to to say "hey, yeah we lost, but there are a couple of things that we can build upon in a few key areas".

There will always be money constraints, but there are dozens of other programs that are behind the eight-ball on money and boosters even more so than the Gophers that train, develop, and build with what they have and improve. It's just not happening here.

:clap:
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:26 am Northwestern could have gone winless this year and no one would have batted an eye. They're legitimately bowl eligible. I'd say they had massive depth issues, but somehow were miraculously able to overcome them. But the Gophers had running back "injuries" and got a couple of LBs hurt and it led to the worst month of Gopher football I've seen in a decade. It's the same problem that I said when he was hired. Yeah, they went undefeated in the MAC, but they beat no one to do it. He's been a head coach for a decade and he's put together exactly zero gameplans that resulted in his team winning a game that they had no business winning. I wonder how bad the exodus is going to be when the portal opens, but I'm pretty confident it's gonna be ugly.
Sidenote on rb issue - how about rb1 was easily NOT even one of their two and I would argue 3 best backs? Darius Taylor is rb3 to start the year? Really? God damn Nubin is better than Tyler who they rolled out as rb1 til he kept fumbling, which, btw, isnt why he wasnt their best back either - he simply isnt that good.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

2024 needs to be PJ's last chance to change his best. Way too conservative, way too many mistakes.
Let's get Tropical
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:31 am

The money decline didn't start with Fleck - it goes back to 2005 at least: https://247sports.com/longformarticle/c ... 2/#2225305

How many universities not on the above list are consistently better than Minnesota has been? Yes surely they exist but it's going to be rare.

And as someone that worked on soliciting donations for years, I know about the hurdles first hand. I mean there's been nothing wrong with Gophers hockey for the better part of two decades and they had trouble generating donations.

Also I'm not protecting anything - I simply disagree with your take. As far as there being no development they're putting more players into the NFL than with any previous coach, and how many times have they gone 3, 4 deep on RBs that have still managed to produce? One major issue was the defense this year started paper thin and injuries made it worse. I will say development with the QBs has been lacking without question.

I also said that if results like this year repeat next year he should be fired.
hategreenticemase

Slap Shot wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:55 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:31 am

The money decline didn't start with Fleck - it goes back to 2005 at least: https://247sports.com/longformarticle/c ... 2/#2225305

How many universities not on the above list are consistently better than Minnesota has been? Yes surely they exist but it's going to be rare.

And as someone that worked on soliciting donations for years, I know about the hurdles first hand. I mean there's been nothing wrong with Gophers hockey for the better part of two decades and they had trouble generating donations.

Also I'm not protecting anything - I simply disagree with your take. As far as there being no development they're putting more players into the NFL than with any previous coach, and how many times have they gone 3, 4 deep on RBs that have still managed to produce? One major issue was the defense this year started paper thin and injuries made it worse. I will say development with the QBs has been lacking without question.

I also said that if results like this year repeat next year he should be fired.
I dont know what your point was on "The money declined didn't start with Fleck" - who said it did? I certainly didn't, and I'm not implying that he has anything to do with the fact that there's money issues. What I'm saying is the biggest part of his overall resume is his energy and his selling capabilities - so get out there and solve the fn problem instead of using it as an excuse. To be clear I will reiterate what I said in the initial post - there's no question we are at a disadvantage on this stuff and it is irritating as fuck for the reasons you listed since we do have so many top 500 companies. But it has nothing to do with his abject failure this year and his using it as an excuse is simply preposterous.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

The decline of funding was the last line in the post you quoted and clapped for. ;)

Why doesn't the $$ issue have any impact on this year? You think Bucky (or any of the others) left because of playing time?

Now that's not the only issue, but they would have had a better record with a deeper defense and a more consistent QB. The lack of depth bit them in the ass and part of that falls on Fleck. Fleck has other faults to be sure, but 2019 for one didn't happen in a vacuum.

Like I said they have to rebound next year, I think Fleck needs to be a lot less conservative with red-shirting and also with letting the offense become more creative. If whatever combination of factors lead to a second bad season I won't protest him being let go.

But I hope they have a backup plan for his replacement before they get that far.