Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

The Hock

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
salamander

Re: The Hock

Post by salamander »

TJ Hockenson is the best TE in the NFL right now.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Sportsrgreat

Post by Sportsrgreat »

He’s been great. He’s our Travis Kelce. Does Taylor Swift have a sister?
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

Sportsrgreat wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:11 pm He’s been great. He’s our Travis Kelce. Does Taylor Swift have a sister?
Why don't you transcend this bit a little more? Tell us all again how you had apprehensions about the money?
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
salamander

Post by salamander »

I'm from the same family lines as TJ Hockenson (pretty far removed) so he's fam.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Sportsrgreat

Post by Sportsrgreat »

How is it a bit? I wondered how we could pay him, Cousins, JJ, and Hunter.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sportsrgreat wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:03 pm How is it a bit? I wondered how we could pay him, Cousins, JJ, and Hunter.
It’s really easy.

First the salary cap is about $256M next year and most guys on the roster make less than $2M/per.

Second, a JJ contract would be an extension on top of his 2024 contract. So it wouldn’t kick in until 2025, when it is very likely Cousins will be off the books and the Cap will be around $265M.

There is plenty of room for JJ, Hunter, and Hockenson. Cousins too, if we want (uncertain). And this doesn’t even consider the void years you can use to keep cap costs down.

There’s plenty of room for Darrisaw in 2026 too.

It’s really not a problem. Some folks say it is, but they’re wrong. It isn’t. We will have no problem keeping our guys, financially speaking. Whether we want to pay them or decide to go in another direction is different. But if we want to keep all these guys we can and it’s not that hard. It will not require any wizardry.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:17 pm
Sportsrgreat wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:03 pm How is it a bit? I wondered how we could pay him, Cousins, JJ, and Hunter.
It’s really easy.

First the salary cap is about $256M next year and most guys on the roster make less than $2M/per.

Second, a JJ contract would be an extension on top of his 2024 contract. So it wouldn’t kick in until 2025, when it is very likely Cousins will be off the books and the Cap will be around $265M.

There is plenty of room for JJ, Hunter, and Hockenson. Cousins too, if we want (uncertain). And this doesn’t even consider the void years you can use to keep cap costs down.

There’s plenty of room for Darrisaw in 2026 too.

It’s really not a problem. Some folks say it is, but they’re wrong. It isn’t. We will have no problem keeping our guys, financially speaking. Whether we want to pay them or decide to go in another direction is different. But if we want to keep all these guys we can and it’s not that hard. It will not require any wizardry.
Maybe we should just both post this every day. Every. Single. Day. It would be a lot of work but maybe we could save a few from not understanding something that should be fairly easy to understand. Good Lord. :lol:
Sportsrgreat

Post by Sportsrgreat »

I get it now. Anyway Hock is kicking ass. He is a good security blanket while Dobbs keeps learning the offense.
D_H

Post by D_H »

salamander wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:18 am TJ Hockenson is the best TE in the NFL right now.
Great QB play
salamander

Post by salamander »

D_H wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:30 pm
salamander wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:18 am TJ Hockenson is the best TE in the NFL right now.
Great QB play
This is true. :beer: Cousins couldn't figure out how to use Hock to his full potential.
D_H

Post by D_H »

salamander wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:28 am
Great QB play
This is true. :beer: Cousins couldn't figure out how to use Hock to his full potential.
For sure it’s was a weird thing
hategreenticemase

Great QB play

Do you enjoy being lumped into same category as him? The difference being at least he has an excuse being a bit. :lol:
salamander

Post by salamander »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:39 am

Great QB play

Do you enjoy being lumped into same category as him? The difference being at least he has an excuse being a bit. :lol:
His two longest catches in a Vikings uniform came from future pro bowler Josh "Passtronaut" Dobbs.
hategreenticemase

salamander wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:38 pm

His two longest catches in a Vikings uniform came from future pro bowler Josh "Passtronaut" Dobbs.
Well then it must be true. :lol:
salamander

Post by salamander »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:50 pm

I'm glad we agree that Cousins has terrible pocket presence, holds the ball too long making his offensive line look worse than it is and struggles to get through his reads :D :beer: Cheers mate!
hategreenticemase

salamander wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:59 pm

I'm glad we agree that Cousins has terrible pocket presence, holds the ball too long making his offensive line look worse than it is and struggles to get through his reads :D :beer: Cheers mate!
You are equal parts amusing and can't make it up ridiculous. :lol:
salamander

Post by salamander »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:02 pm
You are equal parts amusing and can't make it up ridiculous. :lol:
I don't care! Josh Dobbs babay!!!
Offsides 97 defense

ACL and MCL.

Good run. Unfortunate.

This season man.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
Offsides 97 defense

Wonnum is done too. That was expected.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
Offsides 97 defense

D_H wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:36 am Dobbs clearly likes him that being said KJ, and JJ have been out so once they are back the numbers will even out. Once JJ and KJ get back Dobbs is gonna be a complete nightmare for the rest of the NFL.
Oh, look at this. I scrolled back into the abyss and found this gem. An ancillary benefit to posting this. :lol:
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:24 pm ACL and MCL.

Good run. Unfortunate.

This season man.
He’s gonna miss time next year too. Damn
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

Don't make up bullshit.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Modern medical science is amazing. Still a long way to go for him, but 8 weeks post-op, this is impressive and encouraging.

A generation ago, this injury would have cost him the 2024 season and put his career in jeopardy.

- Isaac Asimov
Offsides 97 defense

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:08 pm

Modern medical science is amazing. Still a long way to go for him, but 8 weeks post-op, this is impressive and encouraging.

A generation ago, this injury would have cost him the 2024 season and put his career in jeopardy.
You think he's ready week one?
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:53 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:08 pm

You think he's ready week one?
Possible. But I'm pretty sure doomsday stuff about him being out until mid-season is unwarranted.

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I don’t think he will be ready to start the season but im not concerned let him take his time, this team isn’t going anywhere this year
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:21 pm I don’t think he will be ready to start the season but im not concerned let him take his time, this team isn’t going anywhere this year
They paid Oliver a bunch of money too. Let him eat. For the record… I don’t think he will be activated to the roster til October at the earliest. Lifting weights doesn’t mean he’s anywhere near ready to sprint and make cuts.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Small Hands wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:23 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:21 pm I don’t think he will be ready to start the season but im not concerned let him take his time, this team isn’t going anywhere this year
They paid Oliver a bunch of money too. Let him eat. For the record… I don’t think he will be activated to the roster til October at the earliest. Lifting weights doesn’t mean he’s anywhere near ready to sprint and make cuts.
I agree. But it’s March. There’s almost 6 months of rehab between now and then. That’s a long time when you’re getting the most advanced orthopedic care in the world.

Adrian Peterson rewrote the rehab book and that was 12 years ago. Medicine has continued to improve since then.

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:40 pm
I agree. But it’s March. There’s almost 6 months of rehab between now and then. That’s a long time when you’re getting the most advanced orthopedic care in the world.

Adrian Peterson rewrote the rehab book and that was 12 years ago. Medicine has continued to improve since then.
He will miss a minimum of the first 3 weeks imo.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:43 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:40 pm

He will miss a minimum of the first 3 weeks imo.
He might. I don’t know. I’m sure he’ll start camp on the PUP list and we’ll take it from there.

- Isaac Asimov