Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

The Hock

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Offsides 97 defense

The Hock

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

Has 72 receptions thus far. The record for a season is 116 by Ertz in 2018. He needs 45 receptions over the next seven games to break it. If he stays healthy, I think he can do it. Rookie QBs and QBs learning an offense love to throw to TEs. So far, this guy is worth the money.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
Oriole81

Re: The Hock

Post by Oriole81 »

I remember threads earlier in the year, saying guys on here would rather have just kept Conklin or just drafted someone like LaPorta.
Let's take a current look at the stats...

Hockenson: 71 recs for 681 yards, 4 TDs
LaPorta: 47 for 474, 4 TDs
Conklin: 33 for 363, 0 TDs

Had the Lions just re-signed Hock, they wouldn't have had to trade down in RD1 to get the additional 2nd round pick to take LaPorta, and they could have just taken Jalen Carter at 6.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

How did he not get the game ball from KOC? They guy was a monster yesterday and while injured.
Offsides 97 defense

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:31 am I remember threads earlier in the year, saying guys on here would rather have just kept Conklin or just drafted someone like LaPorta.

Had the Lions just re-signed Hock, they wouldn't have had to trade down in RD1 to get the additional 2nd round pick to take LaPorta, and they could have just taken Jalen Carter at 6.
I think the trade benefited both teams. And that, ostensibly, is the way it is supposed to work.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
Offsides 97 defense

Sellingguy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:35 am How did he not get the game ball from KOC? They guy was a monster yesterday and while injured.
There were four given out, and he got one.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
Hector

Post by Hector »

He was an absolute warrior yesterday. Everybody's respect should be up.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:39 am
Oriole81 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:31 am I remember threads earlier in the year, saying guys on here would rather have just kept Conklin or just drafted someone like LaPorta.

I think the trade benefited both teams. And that, ostensibly, is the way it is supposed to work.
I don't like what they used the assets on particularly.

With the equivalent cap space they signed a RB and a FS, neither of which are premier positions.
They passed on a monster DT, a premier position, to draft another RB as well as a lesser TE than they guy they traded out.

For a team that has not been starved for assets, I personally would rather just take the deal where I get the two best players at the more important positions.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
salamander

Post by salamander »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:17 am Has 72 receptions thus far. The record for a season is 116 by Ertz in 2018. He needs 45 receptions over the next seven games to break it. If he stays healthy, I think he can do it. Rookie QBs and QBs learning an offense love to throw to TEs. So far, this guy is worth the money.
On the HAMS show this morning, they were saying that Dobbs and Hock worked out together in the offseason too?
So apparently Dobbs knows his route running already.

First time I'd listened to them in months.

Also, 6 1/2 receptions per game is completely doable. That's a reception per game less than he's been doing all year.
And Dobbs has given him 27 targets in the last two games alone (18 receptions).
Last edited by salamander on Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
TheLokNesMonster

Post by TheLokNesMonster »

That really did turn out to be a win win deal.

The Lions are fine and Hock is a beast. He’s playing as well as anybody in the league. Not too many performances in the league yesterday as good as his.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:17 am Has 72 receptions thus far. The record for a season is 116 by Ertz in 2018. He needs 45 receptions over the next seven games to break it. If he stays healthy, I think he can do it. Rookie QBs and QBs learning an offense love to throw to TEs. So far, this guy is worth the money.
Yeah, he was disappointing with the drops for a couple weeks there, but he is showing clearly he is a top TE and a big part of our deal here. So fucking mad, I removed him from several lineups yest because read later am his reps would be limited. Dumbfuck. :lol:

PS. Not sure how good he is, I learned today that it's only because we throw the ball to him a lot. Same with JJ. Osborn also would be as good if we threw to him as much. :lol:
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

LaPorta is a rookie. What he’s doing is special for a rookie TE. I like Hock. I think it’s the best move Kwesi has made, but I think there is a good chance Sammy turns into a better player down the road. A lot of the criticism early with Hockenson was also geared towards his drop rate through the first 4 games. He had a 9% drop rate in the first month of the season.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Small Hands wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:05 am

LaPorta is a rookie. What he’s doing is special for a rookie TE. I like Hock. I think it’s the best move Kwesi has made, but I think there is a good chance Sammy turns into a better player down the road. A lot of the criticism early with Hockenson was also geared towards his drop rate through the first 4 games. He had a 9% drop rate in the first month of the season.
Yes, and TEs take time to develop. That's long been known.
I think the Lions were in a bit of a win now mode though and would have been better served by keeping the current better player, especially when you factor in that in a roundabout way it also cost them Carter.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Offsides 97 defense

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:45 am

With the equivalent cap space they signed a RB and a FS, neither of which are premier positions.
They passed on a monster DT, a premier position, to draft another RB as well as a lesser TE than they guy they traded out.

For a team that has not been starved for assets, I personally would rather just take the deal where I get the two best players at the more important positions.
That is an interesting point. I always figured they dumped Hockenson solely for financial reasons and thought they could replace him in the draft and free agency. I think they good with those picks in the draft, though.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:09 am

I think the Lions were in a bit of a win now mode though and would have been better served by keeping the current better player, especially when you factor in that in a roundabout way it also cost them Carter.
At the time of the trade, they had a losing record and we were in win now. Regardless, I think the trade was a good one for Detroit. They have a guy that already looks like a viable weapon. That’s unheard of for a rookie TE.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Small Hands wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:20 am

At the time of the trade, they had a losing record and we were in win now. Regardless, I think the trade was a good one for Detroit. They have a guy that already looks like a viable weapon. That’s unheard of for a rookie TE.
They had a losing record, but I think they were building towards something where they could take a big jump quickly if they handled things right.
Now I think they're actually kind of limbo, and it shows when they play real good teams.

They need to nail a rookie QB to adequately extend this window.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:29 am

They had a losing record, but I think they were building towards something where they could take a big jump quickly if they handled things right.
Now I think they're actually kind of limbo, and it shows when they play real good teams.

They drafted Henden Hooker. I didn’t particularly like him, but he could be that guy.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:20 am

That is an interesting point. I always figured they dumped Hockenson solely for financial reasons and thought they could replace him in the draft and free agency. I think they good with those picks in the draft, though.
They did fine with the picks. There's no busts.
But they're just low impact positions.

Great teams don't need to invest that much in the RB position, nor do they need to take a MLB at pick 18.
A monster DT is worth multiple good players at lesser positions.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Hector

Post by Hector »

The Flores hiring is my favorite so far, but Kwesi is starting to get a few hits.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Small Hands wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:30 am
Oriole81 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:29 am

They drafted Henden Hooker. I didn’t particularly like him, but he could be that guy.
That would change things for sure, and he's certainly better value in RD3 than some of the pre-draft stuff where he was being talked about sliding into RD1.
But I don't particularly like him either.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
D_H

Post by D_H »

Dobbs clearly likes him that being said KJ, and JJ have been out so once they are back the numbers will even out. Once JJ and KJ get back Dobbs is gonna be a complete nightmare for the rest of the NFL.
Last edited by D_H on Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:32 am

Great teams don't need to invest that much in the RB position, nor do they need to take a MLB at pick 18.
Keenan Allen trucked Campbell yesterday. I got a chuckle. I agree with your take here. I didn’t love their usage either with these two picks. I was kind of shocked with both picks tbh. I thought they’d go CB with the early pick.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Hector wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:33 am

The Flores hiring is my favorite so far, but Kwesi is starting to get a few hits.
I could be persuaded to go either way. Flores was a good move, but the likelihood of him sticking around beyond 2024 is slim IMO. Some think he will be gone after this season. I think that’s a bit premature, but whatever. Other than that, I haven’t liked his draft day moves other than Addison. Blackmon has played well at times I guess. Hope that continues.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Small Hands wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:40 am

I could be persuaded to go either way. Flores was a good move, but the likelihood of him sticking around beyond 2024 is slim IMO. Some think he will be gone after this season. I think that’s a bit premature, but whatever. Other than that, I haven’t liked his draft day moves other than Addison. Blackmon has played well at times I guess. Hope that continues.
All it takes is another zero added.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Small Hands wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:40 am

Flores wasn't our first choice. We initially wanted Ejiro Evero, but he declined us.
I bring that up only from a process standpoint. Kwesi deserves credit for being able to lure Flores as a backup, but it's not necessarily indicative of future success, which I think is important in evaluating things.

If we do lose Flores after one year, Kwesi needs to put a helluva pitch together to pursue someone like Bowles or Salah if they are fired, to keep things moving.
You can't rest on one year of Flores.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Small Hands wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:36 am
Oriole81 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:32 am

Keenan Allen trucked Campbell yesterday. I got a chuckle. I agree with your take here. I didn’t love their usage either with these two picks. I was kind of shocked with both picks tbh. I thought they’d go CB with the early pick.
Or just take one singular stud player at an impact position. That's why I personally keep going to Carter, because I think you can never have too many significant DL players. But someone like CB Cristian Gonzalez could also have worked.
But this was their last premier asset from the Rams trade, and I think they got cute.

And just to reiterate, this is relevant to the Hockenson thread because they traded down at 6 in order to get the extra 2nd rd pick to draft LaPorta. If they knew they wanted a premier TE long term, they could have just re-signed Hock and not had to worry about maneuvering around in the draft in order to get that guy.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Gritty. The guy probably chews steel wool at halftime.
Fortune Tellers Make a Killing Nowadays
Offsides 97 defense

#1 in receptions
#1 in targets
#1 in yards
tied #3 in tds

#1 Tight End in football. All this hurt and a revolving QB situation.

Boobs here were apprehensive about this signing and it has been a home run. Chalk it up to another bad take.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

Sarge wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:22 pm Gritty. The guy probably chews steel wool at halftime.
Definitely scrubs his asshole with it. After he shits in the river.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:07 am #1 in receptions
#1 in targets
#1 in yards
tied #3 in tds

Boobs here were apprehensive about this signing and it has been a home run. Chalk it up to another bad take.
Buncha folks probably owe TJ an apology, if they’re honest with themselves and have integrity.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:28 am
Offsides 97 defense wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:07 am #1 in receptions
#1 in targets
#1 in yards
tied #3 in tds

Buncha folks probably owe TJ an apology, if they’re honest with themselves and have integrity.
I do attribute his holdout with being so out of sync to start the season. And in that regard, he gets some of the blame for those early losses.

But just imagine his stats if they just gave him his contract earlier and he were hot from the start. No one would be even close to him. This team might even be undefeated.