Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves have a PG Problem

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

Re: Wolves have a PG Problem

Post by somuchyummy »

Didn't quite know where to stick this - so it's here. But just a reminder that we'll basically be getting our first look at PG/SG Jaylen Clark next year - another rookie, in effect. Here's a highlight reel from UCLA a year ago. Opportunistic on D and active, more shake and bake than i remember - but i will say, for a 6-5 player getting a bunch of breakaway dunks - the hops don't pop any eyes. Seems maybe a little earthbound. Am i making that up? Anyway, a diversion for those interested on a non-game day.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLkHPr-WSGU&t=126s[/youtube]
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Mike Conley told reporters and his teammates last night this season might be it for him so they are going all in for the championship!
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:43 pm Mike Conley told reporters and his teammates last night this season might be it for him so they are going all in for the championship!
I'm all in on this thought process! Let's make a bold, trade deadline move and just frickin go for a title THIS SEASON! This state is absolutely STARVED for a championship and this appears to be an opportunity to bring one home!!

LET'S GO WOLVES!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

We need to trade for Tyus asap

Wizards want a first for him but are willing to take two second round picks

We got it. Make it happen now
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Was Mike going to solve the problem last night of too much intent trying to get Karl a record? NAW in mikes place was maybe our second best player - 18 points on some great shooting. Ant did a lot of playmaking with 11 assists. Feels like the biggest culprit last night was a focus on getting a record to the exclusion of other basics. The D was godawful. Brandon Miller scores 27?
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Brogdan would be amazing off the bench and good piece to take over Conley after this season.

He’s a grown up with a can pass, shoot and defend
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:20 pm
Unless we are trading Conley or Naz which I don't see, we would have to trade Anderson, Shake, Brown, McLaughlin, and Moore to get there salary wise.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Shocking news that the Wolves need a backup PG, since they literally don't have one. Little JMAC probably wouldn't even be in the NBA if he wasn't here.
Let's get Tropical
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Brogdon?

Don't do that. Don't give me hope.
Greenbolt

Post by Greenbolt »

i honestly think NAW's good enough now to be the starting point guard once Conley's too old. NAW's playmaking has been quickly improving, bordering on very good
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Greenbolt wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:37 pm i honestly think NAW's good enough now to be the starting point guard once Conley's too old. NAW's playmaking has been quickly improving, bordering on very good
Part of me was hoping he could slide into that role, I just haven’t been able to catch games consistently to tell if there’s been improvement on the playmaking side.

Wouldn’t be perfect, and I’d like to see parallel improvements from Edwards where turnovers are concerned, but I did like what I saw with those two on the floor in my limited opportunities to see it.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

an under the radar player who i think has a LOT more game to give and would welcome an expanded role is OKC's 30 year old rookie PG Vasililje Micic. They are so stocked with G talent there and play-makers that perhaps they would invite a move for a player whose salary comes off the books this summer.

Kyle for Vasililje works.

I know it sounds a lil nuts - but there's logic to it. Micic is a battle scarred winner and MVP from the Euroleague - throughout his career a very good shooter - although he hasn't entirely shown that yet in the NBA. But the playmaking and ball security is there - a per 36 of 7.7 assists to 1.9 TOVs. 57% on his twos - 82% on his FTs - it's just his threes that haven't dropped (26%), but in Europe over 8 seasons, he's gone 38%. His contract is $7.7M this year and also next year, the third year is a TO for $8.1M. You want a backup PG who knows how to run an offense, Micic is that guy.

For the Thunder, they are light in the frontcourt and could use Kyle's length and experience. He also brings back some of the playmaking they lose in trading Micic. And that team - with Shai, Cason Wallace, Tre Mann, Josh Giddey and Jalen Williams - along with a newly acquired KA, would be at no loss for playmakers. The other lure, of course, is Kyle's expiring deal.

SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:04 pm an under the radar player who i think has a LOT more game to give and would welcome an expanded role is OKC's 30 year old rookie PG Vasililje Micic. They are so stocked with G talent there and play-makers that perhaps they would invite a move for a player whose salary comes off the books this summer.

I know it sounds a lil nuts - but there's logic to it. Micic is a battle scarred winner and MVP from the Euroleague - throughout his career a very good shooter - although he hasn't entirely shown that yet in the NBA. But the playmaking and ball security is there - a per 36 of 7.7 assists to 1.9 TOVs. 57% on his twos - 82% on his FTs - it's just his threes that haven't dropped (26%), but in Europe over 8 seasons, he's gone 38%. His contract is $7.7M this year and also next year, the third year is a TO for $8.1M. You want a backup PG who knows how to run an offense, Micic is that guy.

For the Thunder, they are light in the frontcourt and could use Kyle's length and experience. He also brings back some of the playmaking they lose in trading Micic. And that team - with Shai, Cason Wallace, Tre Mann, Josh Giddey and Jalen Williams - along with a newly acquired KA, would be at no loss for playmakers. The other lure, of course, is Kyle's expiring deal.

Just let Kyle expire at that point. No real reason to take on money for next year and the year after for a guy who hasn't looked good at that salary. Maybe you were hoping for a 1st? I don't think that is happening... but anything can happen. Still not sure I do it even with a first. Moreover I don't think OKC is a good trade partner, they are our direct competition.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

SO_MONEY wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:47 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:04 pm an under the radar player who i think has a LOT more game to give and would welcome an expanded role is OKC's 30 year old rookie PG Vasililje Micic. They are so stocked with G talent there and play-makers that perhaps they would invite a move for a player whose salary comes off the books this summer.

Just let Kyle expire at that point. No real reason to take on money for next year and the year after for a guy who hasn't looked good at that salary. Maybe you were hoping for a 1st? I don't think that is happening... but anything can happen. Still not sure I do it even with a first. Moreover I don't think OKC is a good trade partner, they are our direct competition.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholascr ... 455baa5af1

https://www.si.com/nba/thunder/news/vas ... ation-spot

These are two nice write-ups about Micic. And no - even though they have 68 gazillion firsts, I wouldn't ask for one in that deal. I think Micic is starting to find his legs and could be a very nice piece to have in our backcourt next year. Froobs clamored for a Ricky return - well, here's a seasoned Euro guard with a Euro team mentality who's a great playmaker - about the same size as Ricky - but who has been a much better shooter. Seeing as Kyle is likely gone this summer anyway - I think this would be a good exchange. Not quite sure what we'd be getting in the FA market that we could afford who would be any better. There is a lot to like about Micic - and writing him off as a flop after 22 NBA games is the epitome of short-sighted impatience. This guy is a two time Euro MVP with 8 seasons behind him as one of the top guards in the international game.

Kyle has been pasted on this site for his imperfections and shortcomings - and much of that holds water. He has been a terrible shooter this year - he's ignored by defenses - and it does impair our spacing and our O. Who could replace his minutes behind Jaden? Easy answer, TBJ. Brown actually has many of the same qualities we like in Kyle - he's a good ball-handler and passer (came into the league as a PG/SG), he plays very good D, and oh look! his shooting numbers with us this season are 63%/37%/86%. Yes, you read that right. He deserves more PT - easily could take 18 mpg behind Jaden - and this trade would facilitate that.

And... if the loss of Kyle puts us in a bind because we've lost a big body - maybe Luka or Lenny could actually get some minutes - or we could sign an end of year deal at vet minimum (which wouldn't put us over the cap) to get a free agent into our last roster spot - bismack biyombo, ish wainwright, wenyen gabriel, nerlens noel, derrick favors, rudy gay, darius bazley, tony bradley, jamychal green, juancho or willy hernangomez - the list of options is lengthy. meanwhile, we've added that seasoned (euro - he's 30 years old) steady backup to Mike who absolutely knows how to run an offense.
salamander

Post by salamander »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:43 pm Mike Conley told reporters and his teammates last night this season might be it for him so they are going all in for the championship!
:naners: :naners:

All in babay!! Get Mike that championship!
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Post by salamander »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:36 pm We need to trade for Tyus asap

Wizards want a first for him but are willing to take two second round picks

We got it. Make it happen now
:naners: :naners:
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:19 pm

These are two nice write-ups about Micic. And no - even though they have 68 gazillion firsts, I wouldn't ask for one in that deal. I think Micic is starting to find his legs and could be a very nice piece to have in our backcourt next year. Froobs clamored for a Ricky return - well, here's a seasoned Euro guard with a Euro team mentality who's a great playmaker - about the same size as Ricky - but who has been a much better shooter. Seeing as Kyle is likely gone this summer anyway - I think this would be a good exchange. Not quite sure what we'd be getting in the FA market that we could afford who would be any better. There is a lot to like about Micic - and writing him off as a flop after 22 NBA games is the epitome of short-sighted impatience. This guy is a two time Euro MVP with 8 seasons behind him as one of the top guards in the international game.

Kyle has been pasted on this site for his imperfections and shortcomings - and much of that holds water. He has been a terrible shooter this year - he's ignored by defenses - and it does impair our spacing and our O. Who could replace his minutes behind Jaden? Easy answer, TBJ. Brown actually has many of the same qualities we like in Kyle - he's a good ball-handler and passer (came into the league as a PG/SG), he plays very good D, and oh look! his shooting numbers with us this season are 63%/37%/86%. Yes, you read that right. He deserves more PT - easily could take 18 mpg behind Jaden - and this trade would facilitate that.

And... if the loss of Kyle puts us in a bind because we've lost a big body - maybe Luka or Lenny could actually get some minutes - or we could sign an end of year deal at vet minimum (which wouldn't put us over the cap) to get a free agent into our last roster spot - bismack biyombo, ish wainwright, wenyen gabriel, nerlens noel, derrick favors, rudy gay, darius bazley, tony bradley, jamychal green, juancho or willy hernangomez - the list of options is lengthy. meanwhile, we've added that seasoned (euro - he's 30 years old) steady backup to Mike who absolutely knows how to run an offense.
I feel like if OKC trades with us its because they think Micic is a bust or because we really overpaid for him. I don't think OKC is going to do us any favors if they believe in his ability. I remember when the Wolves inquired about Harden back in the day, they said no chance they weren't trading him to a team in their division.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

twolves31 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:14 am

I feel like if OKC trades with us its because they think Micic is a bust or because we really overpaid for him. I don't think OKC is going to do us any favors if they believe in his ability. I remember when the Wolves inquired about Harden back in the day, they said no chance they weren't trading him to a team in their division.
He's getting more minutes now with them. I don't think they think he's a bust. But they have a bunch of PGs, and they have a ton of draft picks, and they have a shortage of quality bigs, Kyle fits their style well - and he's an expiring. Every year they have to dump players and shed salary - Kyle makes that task easier while still getting them a quality big for this year's playoffs. I think they like Micic fine, but for the reasons stated, I'm also quite sure they'd do this deal. Kyle fits their squad better right now - and considering both Mike and JMac are not certainties next season - nor is a totally untested 53rd pick Jaylen Clark - having a vet like Micic on board thru next season would be the right move for us as well. Like I said earlier, TBJ can pick up Kyle's PT without missing a beat.
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

One of the Wolves summer targets, and former Tim Connelly player Monte Morris is expected to play his first game of the season tonight. If comes back healthy he is certainly someone we may trade for.
Style

Post by Style »

twolves31 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:46 pm One of the Wolves summer targets, and former Tim Connelly player Monte Morris is expected to play his first game of the season tonight. If comes back healthy he is certainly someone we may trade for.
7-3-3 in 12 minutes. I’m a big fan of Morris.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

People a little more tepid about Tyus' after tonight? There was nothing special about him, correct?
witljon

Post by witljon »

SHAFA wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:33 pm Brogdon?

Don't do that. Don't give me hope.
Cross your fingers….
witljon

Post by witljon »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:29 pm People a little more tepid about Tyus' after tonight? There was nothing special about him, correct?
I’m wondering if the Wolves would show interest if Chris Paul were to be bought out. Other possibilities could be Gordon Hayward, Joe Harris, and Gary Harris.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:33 am
twolves31 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:14 am

He's getting more minutes now with them. I don't think they think he's a bust. But they have a bunch of PGs, and they have a ton of draft picks, and they have a shortage of quality bigs, Kyle fits their style well - and he's an expiring. Every year they have to dump players and shed salary - Kyle makes that task easier while still getting them a quality big for this year's playoffs. I think they like Micic fine, but for the reasons stated, I'm also quite sure they'd do this deal. Kyle fits their squad better right now - and considering both Mike and JMac are not certainties next season - nor is a totally untested 53rd pick Jaylen Clark - having a vet like Micic on board thru next season would be the right move for us as well. Like I said earlier, TBJ can pick up Kyle's PT without missing a beat.
I think it is an easy pass on his contract and years remaining...like I said I don't think we should do it even if we were to get a first back. Lastly, I don't think OKC deals with us as stated before by another poster unless they feel he is a bust, we overpay and I will add they have buyer's remorse and want out of his contract...not exactly great indicators of value.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

he has one year remaining. the third has a Team Option. They've got a top five player in PG SGA, they seem to have struck gold with Cason Wallace as a rookie, they'd still have Tre Mann - plus non-PG playmakers Jalen Williams, Josh Giddey and Kyle Anderson - plus THREE first round picks this year, two of which are late lottery. Meanwhile, they have little size going into the playoffs. I think this would be an easy one for them - considering Kyle expires this summer. Plus, labeling a player of Micic's caliber a bust after 23 NBA games is just woefully short-sighted.
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:09 am he has one year remaining. the third has a Team Option. They've got a top five player in PG SGA, they seem to have struck gold with Cason Wallace as a rookie, they'd still have Tre Mann - plus non-PG playmakers Jalen Williams, Josh Giddey and Kyle Anderson - plus THREE first round picks this year, two of which are late lottery. Meanwhile, they have little size going into the playoffs. I think this would be an easy one for them - considering Kyle expires this summer. Plus, labeling a player of Micic's caliber a bust after 23 NBA games is just woefully short-sighted.
We didn't say he is a bust, we said OKC would only trade him to us if they feel he is a bust. OKC would get crucified by it's fans if they traded with the Wolves and we beat them in the playoffs because of that player.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

From Bobby Marks

ESPN+

Minnesota Timberwolves Trade Guide

Trade meter: 3

What to watch: Backup point guard

What a difference a year makes. Unlike last season when the Timberwolves swapped D'Angelo Russell for Mike Conley, there are no sweeping changes needed to the roster. Minnesota has a championship-level roster that can go 10-deep.

If there is a tweak needed, it would be to identify a reserve lead guard who can help facilitate and control pace. The challenge comes with the lack of trade assets Minnesota has available. The Wizards' Tyus Jones would be an example, but the Timberwolves are not allowed to trade a first-round pick (they do have four seconds) and would also have to sacrifice a combination of Kyle Anderson, Shake Milton, Nickeil-Alexander Walker and Troy Brown in a trade.

The Timberwolves are $2.4 million below the luxury tax and are projected to exceed the threshold next year.

Front office trade history: Including his tenure in Denver, Tim Connelly has been part of 16 trades during the regular season. In 2021, the Nuggets acquired forward Aaron Gordon. Last February, Minnesota traded for Conley.

Last regular-season trade: Acquired Conley, Alexander-Walker and two second-round picks from Utah. The Wolves sent out D'Angelo Russell as part of the three-team trade.

Trade we would like to see: Jordan McLaughlin, Josh Minott and a 2030 second-round pick to Sacramento for Davion Mitchell.

Trade exceptions: $3.7 million

Cash available: $7.0 million (out) | $7.0 million (receive)

Salary info and restrictions

Minnesota is $2.4 million below the luxury tax. The Timberwolves are $7.8 million below the first-apron.

Karl-Anthony Towns has a 5% trade bonus. As of Feb. 8, the bonus is $4.8 million.

Anthony Edwards and Jaden McDaniels have poison-pill restrictions in their contract. For trade purposes, McDaniels counts as $3.9 million in outgoing salary and $22.5 million in incoming salary for an acquiring team.

Draft assets

Minnesota is not allowed to trade a first but can trade swap rights to firsts in 2024, 2028 and 2030.

The Timberwolves owe Utah 2025 and 2027 unprotected first-round picks. They will also send the Jazz a 2029 top-five-protected first.

Utah also has the right to swap firsts in 2026.

The Timberwolves have four second-round picks available to trade.

Draft rights: Matteo Spagnolo.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »