Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves have a PG Problem

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Oriole81

Re: Wolves have a PG Problem

Post by Oriole81 »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:48 am
DonaldDouchebag wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:52 am Good morning! Coming in with a semi looking for more Tyus Jones chatter. Help me out, gang!
I heard Tyus' has a thing for Marcia Brady, will that work?
I think he's in prime position here

2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

aztimberwolves wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:05 pm Tyus would be a great get for this team.

However, I like him backing up MIke and a spot starter. Anything more than that, and he loses his appeal quickly. He’s not the answer for long term starter at PG for us
Unless Conley signs cheaply and has 2 more great seasons in him, we get someone in the draft, (this draft isn't rated very highly) or string vet minimums guys for the next few years that want to chase a ring I don't think our point guard prospects are great these next few years with Kat, Rudy, Ant, Naz, and Jaden taking us right up to the luxury tax with just those 5 players.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

aztimberwolves wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:05 pm Tyus would be a great get for this team.

However, I like him backing up MIke and a spot starter. Anything more than that, and he loses his appeal quickly. He’s not the answer for long term starter at PG for us
He's handled the fulltime starter spot pretty well this year, albeit for a bad team. When ball security is your main calling card and youre one of the best in the league at doing it while being on one of the worst teams in the league in turning the ball over, I'd say thats pretty impressive. I think he would fit in very well with the starting 5. 3 point shooting and ball security...is there really much more we need from that spot?
Lightning
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by Lightning »

The undeniable undertones of the "he's one of us" angle everyone seems to be in denial about gives me the willies.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:36 pm

He's handled the fulltime starter spot pretty well this year, albeit for a bad team. When ball security is your main calling card and youre one of the best in the league at doing it while being on one of the worst teams in the league in turning the ball over, I'd say thats pretty impressive. I think he would fit in very well with the starting 5. 3 point shooting and ball security...is there really much more we need from that spot?
I think so. Kuzma has been solid, but Poole has been a mess. And even with that, Tyus' is only scoring 12 a game. Yes, he's a great game manager, yes his D is better - but with Jaden not taking a step forward and Rudy always being a low teens scorer - I just don't know how u commit 15 mill a year to Tyus' as another low teens scoring starter. Maybe we can find some 16-18 PPG bench guy, but Naz - who we like- isn't even anywhere close to that. I'd rather nail down a backup PG like Morris for a lot less - who provides much the same things as Tyus - and keep the radar open for a future starter later. And yeah, that might mean moving Jaden at some point.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

Lightning wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:48 pm The undeniable undertones of the "he's one of us" angle everyone seems to be in denial about gives me the willies.
Yep. Plus,I've already watched years of Tyus Jones when he played for the Wolves and I found him completely forgettable as a player. I get it, though--he's only being talked about as a backup and spot starter.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
Lightning

Post by Lightning »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:38 pm
Lightning wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:48 pm The undeniable undertones of the "he's one of us" angle everyone seems to be in denial about gives me the willies.
Yep. Plus,I've already watched years of Tyus Jones when he played for the Wolves and I found him completely forgettable as a player. I get it, though--he's only being talked about as a backup and spot starter.
He's not a good defender and that should be a huge consideration.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think he's better now than he was with us. But not a guy you pay 15 mill to as a starter. I think that kind of move would put on the handcuffs.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

I am in no way Tyus fanboy or was upset when he left.

However i will give it to him that he has improved and become a very good rotational player in this leagie. I just don’t want him starting long term because he’s proven he is what he is. Anything more than 25 min a game and his numbers drop significantly.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

The thing with Tyus is he can be a solid backup at times...even had good stretches as a starter...but the sad reality is he is completely and totally unplayable at times regardless of his role. In other words is the risk of bad Tyus worth much value? I don't think so. I think there might be better avenues to improve including clearing roster spots to target buyout players not just general trades to bring in direct value.
DonaldDouchebag

Lightning wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:44 pm
He's not a good defender and that should be a huge consideration.
Also, can anything be done about the mug on this guy? I have a hard time looking at him and retaining that semi, you know?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

I think you're on your own, DD.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

If the Wolves get Tyus, we should all get together for a circle jerk.
Let's get Tropical
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

aztimberwolves wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:08 pmAnything more than 25 min a game and his numbers drop significantly.
Where is this coming from? At least this year, it's the complete inverse of that.

Under 25 minutes: 7 pts, 2.5 rebs, 3.5 asts, 12.5% from deep and 41% overall in 22 minutes
25 minutes or more: 13 pts, 2.8 rebs, 7 asts, 42.7% from deep and 51% overall in 30 minutes

I wouldn't have a problem with dude coming back, but I doubt that it happens for a number of reasons. And I certainly don't have a gigantic set of blue balls waiting on the news.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Some national writer suggests that we trade Naz (and other pieces) for Tyus, because Reid is being wasted here as a third Center. Do these national guys really not realize that Naz backs up both the 4 and 5?
DonaldDouchebag

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:48 pm Some national writer suggests that we trade Naz (and other pieces) for Tyus, because Reid is being wasted here as a third Center. Do these national guys really not realize that Naz backs up both the 4 and 5?
Gross. I absolutely hate that idea.
populousample

Post by populousample »

Does Tyus unlock our 4th quarters?…
somuchyummy beef supreme chat
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Abe Froman »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:48 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:48 pm Some national writer suggests that we trade Naz (and other pieces) for Tyus, because Reid is being wasted here as a third Center. Do these national guys really not realize that Naz backs up both the 4 and 5?
Fucking national writers.... Seriously, why in the hell do they think it makes any business sense for the team to trade a guy on a favorable contract, who is outplaying that contract, just because they feel like he will be "wasted" on the bench. He gets significant play time, so clearly this douche doesn't even watch the team, and there's a very fair chance that he isn't the one traded if we need to trade anyone. Plus... Just for Tyus? Dokay... Fuck that guy
I made this!
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

populousample wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:40 pm Does Tyus unlock our 4th quarters?…
No... That's gonna take some miraculous maturity by our stars.
I made this!
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:45 pm
Fucking national writers.... Seriously, why in the hell do they think it makes any business sense for the team to trade a guy on a favorable contract, who is outplaying that contract, just because they feel like he will be "wasted" on the bench. He gets significant play time, so clearly this douche doesn't even watch the team, and there's a very fair chance that he isn't the one traded if we need to trade anyone. Plus... Just for Tyus? Dokay... Fuck that guy
Tyus only plays one position - so he'd be behind Mike who is playing 29 mpg. which would give Tyus 19 per game. meanwhile, Naz - backing up both KAT and Rudy - is averaging 22 mpg. you'd think with the interwebs these guys could actually check shit out before they put their names on it.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:55 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:45 pm

Tyus only plays one position - so he'd be behind Mike who is playing 29 mpg. which would give Tyus 19 per game. meanwhile, Naz - backing up both KAT and Rudy - is averaging 22 mpg. you'd think with the interwebs these guys could actually check shit out before they put their names on it.
Kahn honestly destroyed what little credibility this team had with all of his shitty moves... It's seriously amazing how dumb they think the wolves are...
I made this!
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Poor Fade. No Tyus.
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

aztimberwolves wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:08 pm I am in no way Tyus fanboy or was upset when he left.

However i will give it to him that he has improved and become a very good rotational player in this leagie. I just don’t want him starting long term because he’s proven he is what he is. Anything more than 25 min a game and his numbers drop significantly.
I was not happy when he left... that was a reasonable contract they could have matched. The next season Rosas takes over and gets Napier as the backup to Teague, eventually ships both out and we overpay for Russell (in hindsight). Tyus could have been a great backup pg here the last several years then gotten a chance to start too. The pg position post Rubio the first time around was not that much fun with Teague or Russell. Conley has brought back some normalcy at least.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Let's just gently close the Tyus book now. All in favor?
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Aye
Let's get Tropical
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:31 pm Let's just gently close the Tyus book now. All in favor?
Agreed. Glad Monte Morris is the guy.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:31 pm Let's just gently close the Tyus book now. All in favor?
:o :( :cry: 😢😭😭😭😭😭

Ok

But I'm still holding out hope for Thon Maker.
I made this!
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Abe Froman wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:33 pm
:o :( :cry: 😢😭😭😭😭😭

Ok

But I'm still holding out hope for Thon Maker.
I'm eagerly anticipating the latest on the Carmelo Anthony to Wolves trade rumors.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

It’s closed. Wizards wanted a first and the wolves don’t have one.

It did catch a lot of steam though. Tyus to Wolves was on the Lowe Post, Brian Windhorst show and Hollinger and Duncan.

Monte Morris is a fine back up and especially the price of Troy Brown, Shake and 2030 second round pick. It’s a no lose situation for a guy who can pass and shoot near 40% from 3
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »