Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves have a PG Problem

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
twolves31

Re: Wolves have a PG Problem

Post by twolves31 »

Fischer writes the following: “At that point, one destination that currently appears to be a real possibility: Philadelphia, where the Sixers stand as one of the few contenders below the first luxury tax apron and capable of signing a player who was bought out from a contract pricier than this year’s mid-level exception ($12.4 million.) Lowry is not expected to join the Hornets prior to the trade deadline, league sources told Yahoo Sports, and will likely remain away from the franchise while the future of the respected 18-year veteran gets resolved.”

Since Lowry's contract is worth more than the MLE, seven teams are ineligible to sign him due to the new CBA restrictions: the Boston Celtics, Milwaukee Bucks, Miami Heat, Denver Nuggets, Los Angeles Clippers, Phoenix Suns and Golden State Warriors. The 76ers are one of the few teams who both have a sensible shot at the championship and are eligible to sign the 37-year-old guard.

The Minnesota Timberwolves, the top team in the Western Conference, could pursue Lowry as an upgrade over Shake Milton, whose grip on the backup point guard spot is slipping. The Oklahoma City Thunder, another top dog in the West, have that position covered with rookie Cason Wallace. And while the 76ers have Patrick Beverley in a prominent bench role, there are a lot of connections to draw between them and Lowry.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

"Shake Milton, whose grip on the backup point guard spot is slipping"

He hasn't had that spot since the opening week.
Let's get Tropical
Greenbolt

Post by Greenbolt »

i think we already have a great backup point guard in McLaughin. are the alternatives being discussed really better than him?

good playmaker, good mover, elite off-ball defender, great screen navigator. his one big weakness before was shooting, but he appears to be starting to turn into a shooter
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Along with NAW, we really aren't in bad shape. The problem is all about next year - both Mike and JMac expiring, Kyle likely gone, Shake surely gone, Moore Jr not developing, and Clark and Spagnola complete question marks.

It's why earlier I suggested a Kyle for Micic trade with OKC. They need another big - really - plus Cason Wallace has a grip on the backup PG spot. And KAs expiring deal makes him especially attractive to OKC, a team that always has more players under contract than they know what to do with. For us, TBJ could take all of Kyles SF minutes without a blip - plus he's an actual floor spacer. And in Micic we'd get the tough vet floor general we seem to be searching for. He's been feeling his way into the NBA game so nothing pops off the page. But he's too good a player to be a bust. On intl player talent continuum, he's much closer to Sengun than Spagnola.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

Greenbolt wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:03 pm i think we already have a great backup point guard in McLaughin. are the alternatives being discussed really better than him?

good playmaker, good mover, elite off-ball defender, great screen navigator. his one big weakness before was shooting, but he appears to be starting to turn into a shooter
McLaulin is pretty injury prone playing getting hurt multiple times per year playing just 15 minutes per game over the last few seasons. He is decent in a pinch, but we haven't exactly been playing great with him in the lineup 7-7 since 12/26 when he started playing more. If you can get a 40% 3pt shooter that doesn't turn it over like Monte Morris you would be in a lot better shape.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Greenbolt wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:03 pm i think we already have a great backup point guard in McLaughin. are the alternatives being discussed really better than him?

He's OK in spurts as your third pg... when he's given a consistent role though he doesn't play consistently well.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

twolves31 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:42 pm Fischer writes the following: “At that point, one destination that currently appears to be a real possibility: Philadelphia, where the Sixers stand as one of the few contenders below the first luxury tax apron and capable of signing a player who was bought out from a contract pricier than this year’s mid-level exception ($12.4 million.) Lowry is not expected to join the Hornets prior to the trade deadline, league sources told Yahoo Sports, and will likely remain away from the franchise while the future of the respected 18-year veteran gets resolved.”

Since Lowry's contract is worth more than the MLE, seven teams are ineligible to sign him due to the new CBA restrictions: the Boston Celtics, Milwaukee Bucks, Miami Heat, Denver Nuggets, Los Angeles Clippers, Phoenix Suns and Golden State Warriors. The 76ers are one of the few teams who both have a sensible shot at the championship and are eligible to sign the 37-year-old guard.

The Minnesota Timberwolves, the top team in the Western Conference, could pursue Lowry as an upgrade over Shake Milton, whose grip on the backup point guard spot is slipping. The Oklahoma City Thunder, another top dog in the West, have that position covered with rookie Cason Wallace. And while the 76ers have Patrick Beverley in a prominent bench role, there are a lot of connections to draw between them and Lowry.
I wouldn't necessarily covet Lowry but I don't know how he picks MN over Philly.

Cason Wallace is a stud... how long before OKC feels they have to trade him because he's too good for the bench? This is another Immanuel Quickley situation developing.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:19 pm
twolves31 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:42 pm Fischer writes the following: “At that point, one destination that currently appears to be a real possibility: Philadelphia, where the Sixers stand as one of the few contenders below the first luxury tax apron and capable of signing a player who was bought out from a contract pricier than this year’s mid-level exception ($12.4 million.) Lowry is not expected to join the Hornets prior to the trade deadline, league sources told Yahoo Sports, and will likely remain away from the franchise while the future of the respected 18-year veteran gets resolved.”

I wouldn't necessarily covet Lowry but I don't know how he picks MN over Philly.

Cason Wallace is a stud... how long before OKC feels they have to trade him because he's too good for the bench? This is another Immanuel Quickley situation developing.
I don't know already why they don't move Dort to the bench scoring job - and go with a SGA-Wallace-Giddey-Williams-Holmgren starting five.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Tyus last 3 games

15 pts 9 ast
13pts 9 ast
12pts 14ast

He’s the perfect pg to take over Conley for the present and future of the wolves at half the cost 10-15 million with our 3 max stars. Low usage, floor general
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:22 am Tyus last 3 games

15 pts 9 ast
13pts 9 ast
12pts 14ast

He’s the perfect pg to take over Conley for the present and future of the wolves at half the cost 10-15 million with our 3 max stars. Low usage, floor general
If Slomo isn't in the plans beyond this year, I think I am willing to include him in a deal for Tyus. So Anderson/Shake for money to work... you could target Corey Kispert in the deal if you're willing to include assets like Minott and future seconds? And start to focus on the buyout market.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

we're not getting Kispert thrown in because we'd include Minott. He's a 15th overall pick who has averaged in double figures for them over three years - and a young three point threat who has converted 38.4% of his threes. Minott is a 47th pick who has played 142 garbage minutes in 30 games. CK is already a viable NBA rotational player - we don't know if JM will ever be that.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

Naw is doing well
My heart is family.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

I think if we can get Mike to come back for less money - it's a perfectly workable duo. 24 mpg a piece - keep em fresh. Nick btw is averaging 23 mpg this year. The guy to find then will be a good scoring SG to back up Ant.
salamander

Post by salamander »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:19 pm

Because the Timberwolves are winning it all babay!!! :naners: :naners:
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

It's funny how much I equate Lowry with Toronto. But he had six seasons under his belt before he ever went there - starting his career in Memphis and then Houston.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Tyus Jones

Position: Point guard. Age: 27.
Potential fits: Philadelphia 76ers, Minnesota Timberwolves, Phoenix Suns, Boston Celtics.

Why the Wizards would trade him: Wizards officials value Jones’ professionalism, veteran leadership, floor spacing and ability to deliver on-time, on-target passes. But — and it’s an important “but” — Jones is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer. Jones knows that team officials regard him highly, and he enjoys being a starter, but would Jones want to re-sign with a team that has a long, and likely arduous, rebuild ahead?

If Jones wants to test unrestricted free agency in search of a contending team, then the Wizards would be well served to trade him now instead of risk losing him for nothing. They have asked teams that have inquired about Jones for a first-round pick.

Jones is in the final year of a two-year contract, and because teams are not permitted to extend existing contracts that span one or two years, he is ineligible for a contract extension.

Why teams would want him: While most contending teams have elite point guards, almost no one has a backup/potential spot starter of Jones’ quality. That, in turn, should make him valuable on the trade market, especially for teams that would pair Jones with capable defenders with positional size.

Jones does not turn the ball over. Period. His assist-to-turnover ratio is an almost unfathomable 7.63-to-1, which leads the league’s regular rotation players by so much it’s ridiculous. (For added context: Delon Wright and Chris Paul also have admirable assist-to-turnover ratios, at 7.40-to-1 and 6.05-to-1, respectively, but have played in far fewer games this season than Jones.)

Jones is the kind of ultra-dependable, experienced and durable point guard whom contending teams would love to have as insurance come playoff time. Making Jones even more attractive to potential suitors: He’s having the best offensive season of his career so far, with career highs in points (12.4 per game), field goal percentage (50 percent) and 3-point percentage (41 percent).

What a deal could look like: Washington could hold out for a lot. The Wizards would like to re-sign Jones and could do so at a number that makes sense for both sides — think the Lakers’ four-year, $54 million deal to keep Austin Reaves, maybe a little more. And the Wizards can offer Jones what most contenders can’t: a starting job for the foreseeable future. But the Wizards need more talent and picks so much that it’s fair to wonder whether they can afford not to trade Jones if a good offer is available.

So, if Minnesota really wants a reunion with Jones, who was there his first four NBA seasons, the Wizards would certainly hold out for a plus deal. Washington could ask for forward Leonard Miller, an early second-round pick in 2023 whose draft rights were sent from San Antonio to Minnesota and is putting up big numbers for Minnesota’s G League team, and also ask Minnesota to give back the conditional 2024 second-round pick (the less favorable of either Memphis’ or Washington’s second-round selections in ’24) the Wizards are currently slated to give to the Wolves.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

still not convinced Tyus is the right move. good player - lots of things he brings to the table - but if we move Miller for him, and then Tyus tests FA this summer and goes elsewhere - we're kind of fucked. Plus it sounds like he's wanting in the 14 mil range for multiple years - not sure how that flies here - and what if it turns out he's better off the bench? eesh. that could get ugly.

Seems like massaging Mike into a smaller short deal is an easier fit - I think he'd be open to it. And NAW is playing well. They could split time - 24 mpg each and we'd be somewhat injury proof. Considering that and how they fit this year, maybe our better trade option is going after a solid bench scorer to back up Ant or Jaden. We'd have that option because TBJ - if we keep him - can back up whichever spot we don't get in the trade.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Someone really fucking misses sitting next to Tyus’ grandma.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

SHAFA wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:27 pm Someone really fucking misses sitting next to Tyus’ grandma.
I feel like this is reaching the point of psychosis. Is there some poor Raptors fan out there just as obsessed about resigning Seth Curry?
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:04 pm still not convinced Tyus is the right move. good player - lots of things he brings to the table - but if we move Miller for him, and then Tyus tests FA this summer and goes elsewhere - we're kind of fucked. Plus it sounds like he's wanting in the 14 mil range for multiple years - not sure how that flies here - and what if it turns out he's better off the bench? eesh. that could get ugly.

Seems like massaging Mike into a smaller short deal is an easier fit - I think he'd be open to it. And NAW is playing well. They could split time - 24 mpg each and we'd be somewhat injury proof. Considering that and how they fit this year, maybe our better trade option is going after a solid bench scorer to back up Ant or Jaden. We'd have that option because TBJ - if we keep him - can back up whichever spot we don't get in the trade.
I wouldn't give them Miller, not doing that. Miller is a guy who in the rotation next year when you can't resign Slomo and potentially have to let TBJ walk too to same money.

If Washington would do Kyle/Shake + Minott or the second rounder back to them, I'd do it. As far as the pg position next year, I'd offer Conley and Tyus both a little above the midlevel and see if either takes it.. Mike would probably be a 1+1, Tyus 2+1 ..
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:01 pm
Anderson/Shake/Minott is my offer.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

I'd massage that a little bit. Anderson/Shake/Moore Jr. for Tyus/Johnny Davis. First off, can Washington handle a 3 for 1? Change of scenery thing for Moore and Davis. The guy who drafted Davis (10th) is gone, he's only playing 7.8 mpg for them - half as much as he played last year - and they could be looking to move on. Moore gets them another first rounder (on a shorter contract) to see if they can make some lemonade. As for us, Davis is an odd story. Seems like a good enough guy, the league hasn't ruined him, but nothing has clicked (except for a late stretch of games last season - the final 8 - where he averaged 14.6 ppg). But the lure is that he's just a year and a half removed from winning the Jerry West Award for the nation's best college SG. 6-6 200 6-9 WS. Get him under Ant's wing and see what we can make of it.

SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Jesus Christ. This dude's been edging for so long that he can't possibly have anything left down there to tug on.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

lol
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Couple of possibilities worth exploring - because LAL is never satisfied and chucks players left and right - are two unplayed Laker PGs - Skylar Mays and Gabe Vincent. Mays was signed 14 games ago after Portland waived him - the Lakers have played him just sparingly in 6 games for a total of 30 minutes since his arrival. Vincent played 4 games for them to start the year at around 25 mpg - but then has been inactive since with an injury. He's supposed to return this season, but LAL is impatient as hell and might feel the need to get another body to help them before that. He's just a year away from playing VERY well in the playoffs for Miami. He'd work straight up for Kyle - of course, we'd have to worry then that Kyle would suddenly put it together and be a playoff factor AGAINST us. But we would have added a solid vet two way PG to the team. Vincent had successful surgery on his knee on Dec 27th, the re-eval is 8 weeks out from that - so the end of this month - which could make him available to us in the playoffs. Tough defender and competitor. the Lakers are actively shopping Vincent.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

[NBACentral] The Minnesota Timberwolves reportedly offered 4 second-round picks for Tyus Jones, per @HPbasketball. “Washington held the line.”

I doubt we offered 4 seconds, and I doubt Washington would turn that down.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

twolves31 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:37 pm [NBACentral] The Minnesota Timberwolves reportedly offered 4 second-round picks for Tyus Jones, per @HPbasketball. “Washington held the line.”

I doubt we offered 4 seconds, and I doubt Washington would turn that down.
Let's get Tropical
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

SHAFA wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:55 pm Jesus Christ. This dude's been edging for so long that he can't possibly have anything left down there to tug on.
So many socks about to be ruined....
Let's get Tropical