Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Adam Johnson

A place to discuss the MN Wild
Justin Kase

Adam Johnson

Post by Justin Kase »

There are multiple stories that the former Hibbing High School and UMD star has suffered a horrific injury in game in the UK. Skate to the throat, terrible scene. They shut down the game and the arena. He was worked on at the site, and then taken by ambulance to the hospital, where surgery was performed.
There are some reports that he’s hanging on, some that he isn’t. If you’re a praying person, say one for him and his family.

edit….. hearing more and more that he passed, but I haven’t seen an official statement. I sure hope this is wrong.
Last edited by Justin Kase on Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hornets

Re: Adam Johnson

Post by Hornets »

Justin Kase wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:45 pm There are multiple stories that the former Hibbing High School and UMD star has suffered a horrific injury in game in the UK. Skate to the throat, terrible scene. They shut down the game and the arena. He was worked on at the site, and then taken by ambulance to the hospital, where surgery was performed.
There are some reports that he’s hanging on, some that he isn’t. If you’re a praying person, say one for him and his family.
I started wearing one of those neck guards several years ago because of stories like this....Clint Malarchuk comes to mind.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Justin Kase

Post by Justin Kase »

Hornets wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:12 pm
Justin Kase wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:45 pm There are multiple stories that the former Hibbing High School and UMD star has suffered a horrific injury in game in the UK. Skate to the throat, terrible scene. They shut down the game and the arena. He was worked on at the site, and then taken by ambulance to the hospital, where surgery was performed.
I started wearing one of those neck guards several years ago because of stories like this....Clint Malarchuk comes to mind.
The story I read said it was more of an incidental contact thing, just a freak accident. The comments from people that said they were there call it the worst, most horrifying scene they have witnessed.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Justin Kase wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:15 pm
Hornets wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:12 pm
The story I read said it was more of an incidental contact thing, just a freak accident. The comments from people that said they were there call it the worst, most horrifying scene they have witnessed.
I can imagine...yikes.
mnbob70

Post by mnbob70 »

RIP
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

terrible. RIP
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I guess the video is available on-line if you’re morbidly curious enough to want to see it.

I’m not.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Falen's Boyfriend

Post by Falen's Boyfriend »

The reports all say "freak accident." Broken neck? Do we know?

So sad.
mnbob70

Post by mnbob70 »

Falen's Boyfriend wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:24 am The reports all say "freak accident." Broken neck? Do we know?

So sad.
His neck was cut by a skate blade
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

TJ Oshie's cut resistant apparel is going to make him very rich....
Falen's Boyfriend

Did not search for the video, but it popped up on my Twitter feed.

Opposing player kicked him in the throat. Looked intentional.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Looked horrific... I cannot believe he got up and skated away. Geez... I did not play to watch either but there it was on twitter without having to search for it.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Zambonee Guy

Post by Zambonee Guy »

Falen's Boyfriend wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:45 am Did not search for the video, but it popped up on my Twitter feed.

I haven't seen the video, but what makes you think it was intentional?

Most people are calling it a freak accident.
Falen's Boyfriend

Zambonee Guy wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:09 am
Falen's Boyfriend wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:45 am Did not search for the video, but it popped up on my Twitter feed.

Yes, I noticed the internet was immediately filled with stories describing it as "a freak accident."

I didn't say it was intentional. I said it LOOKED intentional. It looks like a karate kick to the throat.

Check out the video for yourself.

On Twitter, you can see the video on @jzkaiser. It's the first video on his feed. The video ends right after the collision so you don't see any blood. You just see the hit.

There's at least one more video of the incident that shows the blood, etc and I do not recommend watching that one.

Let me know what you think after watching it.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

I haven't seen it even though it popped a few times on the Twitter. No desire to see that.
Falen's Boyfriend

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:49 am I haven't seen it even though it popped a few times on the Twitter. No desire to see that.
If you check out the Twitter account I listed above @jzkaiser ... you can see the collision. I promise that it's not gory. The video ends right after the hit.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hornets wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:23 pm TJ Oshie's cut resistant apparel is going to make him very rich....
Minnesota company's cut-resistant hockey gear sells out after player Adam Johnson's death
Warroad Hockey Co., from NHLer T.J. Oshie, produces shirts that protect the neck and wrists.

A Warroad, Minn.-based clothing brand that makes cut-resistant gear to protect hockey players from sharp skate blades has experienced a surge in demand following the accidental death of a former Minnesota Duluth star and professional player.

Warroad Hockey Co., which NHL player and Warroad-raised T.J. Oshie helped found, has sold out of its Tilo neck and wrist guards, according to a post on the company's Facebook page. There's currently a waiting list for those who want to know when the cut-resistant items are back in stock.

Former Minnesota Duluth hockey player and Hibbing star Adam Johnson died after an opponent's skate blade cut his neck in a collision Saturday in Sheffield, England during an Elite Ice Hockey League game. Johnson's team, the Nottingham Panthers, called it a "freak accident," but the incident is under investigation with the South Yorkshire Police.

Johnson later died at a local hospital. He was 29 years old.

In response to the tragedy, the English Ice Hockey Association has mandated players wear neck guards for all on-ice activities starting Jan. 1.

Oshie told the Associated Press he received about 100 texts from other players about his cut-resistant clothing and said his company's inventory sold out Sunday.

"It's just crazy, sad, and we don't have anything left," Oshie told reporters after Washington Capitals practice Monday. "We're thinking about his family first. We'll try to get as many products out there as we can for people."

The sold-out tops sell for $199 and features "an adjustable neck collar built with Kevlar and protective foam" that's "designed to help deflect and absorb the impact of skate blades, sticks or elbows to your neck and clavicle," per the company's website.
Zambonee Guy

Post by Zambonee Guy »

Falen's Boyfriend wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:37 am
Zambonee Guy wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:09 am

Yes, I noticed the internet was immediately filled with stories describing it as "a freak accident."

I didn't say it was intentional. I said it LOOKED intentional. It looks like a karate kick to the throat.

Check out the video for yourself.

On Twitter, you can see the video on @jzkaiser. It's the first video on his feed. The video ends right after the collision so you don't see any blood. You just see the hit.

There's at least one more video of the incident that shows the blood, etc and I do not recommend watching that one.

Let me know what you think after watching it.
The slow motion replay obviously looked worse (and intentional).

But the replay at full-speed showed he was desperately trying stop him with this legs when he got spun around, but the skate to the neck was a freak accident.