Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** 2023-24 Non-Timberwolves Game Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
twolves31

Re: *** 2023-24 Non-Timberwolves Game Thread ***

Post by twolves31 »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:37 am Zion Williamson continues Pelicans' hot streak with dunk of the year candidate

No team in the NBA is hotter than the New Orleans Pelicans right now, and Zion Williamson is the explosive engine propelling them forward...More importantly, the Pelicans have moved from 3.5 games back to just a half-game back from the Los Angeles Clippers for fourth place in the Western Conference, which carries home-court advantage for the first round of the NBA playoffs. With 14 games remaining and the third-place Minnesota Timberwolves missing Karl-Anthony Towns, it's not inconceivable New Orleans could climb even further.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/zion-willi ... 40576.html

(wolves finishing in the two or three spot isn't the worst situation for them if the pelicans are going to finish four or five.)
"No team in the NBA is hotter" Houston has won 6 in a row, I would consider them hotter. Boston 7 in a row, but they've been hotter than every team except for those few days we held the number 1 spot in the league earlier in the season. Pelican's versus the Clippers in the 4/5 would be a great series and one of them gets eliminated.
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Post by ChrisPaulGeorgeHill »

Brandon Ingram leaves game against Magic with knee injury.

Many say hyperextended knee.

Didn’t look good on replays.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:37 am Zion Williamson continues Pelicans' hot streak with dunk of the year candidate

No team in the NBA is hotter than the New Orleans Pelicans right now, and Zion Williamson is the explosive engine propelling them forward...More importantly, the Pelicans have moved from 3.5 games back to just a half-game back from the Los Angeles Clippers for fourth place in the Western Conference, which carries home-court advantage for the first round of the NBA playoffs. With 14 games remaining and the third-place Minnesota Timberwolves missing Karl-Anthony Towns, it's not inconceivable New Orleans could climb even further.

(wolves finishing in the two or three spot isn't the worst situation for them if the pelicans are going to finish four or five.)
Watching a guy that big jump that high is nice but that wasn’t even close to being the dunk of the week.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:11 pm

Watching a guy that big jump that high is nice but that wasn’t even close to being the dunk of the week.
Yeah, nice dunk. But people need to chill with the hyperbole. That’s probably not even #1 on sportscenter’s top-10 plays of the day.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Lightning
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by Lightning »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:25 pm Yeah, nice dunk. But people need to chill with the hyperbole.
No, they don't. Quit policing peoples takes and fandom. It's quite unbecoming.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Lightning wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:53 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:25 pm Yeah, nice dunk. But people need to chill with the hyperbole.
No, they don't. Quit policing peoples takes and fandom. It's quite unbecoming.
:lol:

Quit policing my policing!

- Isaac Asimov
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Not sure what was going on with this - but against Denver last night, Portland had an all-rookie starting five. I don't think they are THAT beat up.

Jokic and Murray rested. The Nuggets won by 3. Nice games from Scoot and Duop Reath.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

OKC vs Milwaukee tonight. The Bucks could help us out here with a win.

My prediction: Free throws. Lots of free throws.

- Isaac Asimov
BBG

Post by BBG »

DH's 76ers are trying to close out the Clip show. It could be added cushion
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

who just signed Kenneth Lofton Jr.? He put up a 52/16/5 line in the G last night on 20-29 from the field. yikes. maybe that's the talented enforcer we should have signed - 6-6 276 lbs.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

before anyone gets too carried away with Zion's 13-14 from the floor 36 point performance today in a win over the Pistons - should be pointed out that Detroit is in full tank mode. Cade Cunningham, Isaiah Stewart, Jalen Duren, Ausar Thompson, Simone Fontecchio, Quentin Grimes - all Out. It's hard enough being a Pistons fan - that must have been a brutal loss of ticket cash, unless you went to see Zion.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Kings just got a little weaker. Kevin Huerter went down Monday with a dislocated shoulder and labral tear. No timetable for return yet, but all things considered - he's likely out for the season. 24 mpg rotational guy averaging a little over 10 ppg this year.
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

Clippers have a tough schedule coming up and are closer to 7th than they are 3rd. They may drop to 6th or even the play-in at this pace. We may see the Clippers in the first round even if we stay at 3 or move up.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:47 pm Kings just got a little weaker. Kevin Huerter went down Monday with a dislocated shoulder and labral tear. No timetable for return yet, but all things considered - he's likely out for the season. 24 mpg rotational guy averaging a little over 10 ppg this year.
this is the team i'd like to see the wolves face in the first round. even more so now.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

twolves31 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:04 pm Clippers have a tough schedule coming up and are closer to 7th than they are 3rd. They may drop to 6th or even the play-in at this pace. We may see the Clippers in the first round even if we stay at 3 or move up.
they're only a half game ahead of the pelicans right now. i don't think they're going to be able to hold them off.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Cleveland obliterated tonight by Miami in a 37 point loss. They were without Mitchell and Strus again, but had Mobley back - and Miami was without Herro, Jaquez, D Robinson, Love and Richardson. Whoa.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:31 pm
twolves31 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:04 pm Clippers have a tough schedule coming up and are closer to 7th than they are 3rd. They may drop to 6th or even the play-in at this pace. We may see the Clippers in the first round even if we stay at 3 or move up.
they're only a half game ahead of the pelicans right now. i don't think they're going to be able to hold them off.
Clipps got beat by an Embiid-less Philly tonight because they couldn't stop Cam Payne - 23 off the bench.
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

lol Celtics lose the the Hawks, first quarter was 44-22 Celtics and an 18pt lead at half. whoops.
(not laughing too hard since we play them soon, and I'm still annoyed at that early loss when we were up like 20 something mid 3rd q and lost huge)
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

And Phoenix takes a loss against a Wemby-less San Antonio.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

And Houston grabs another W. Currently .5 behind Golden State.

Biggest choke job? Draymond choking Rudy or the Warriors choking away the season.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:38 pm And Houston grabs another W. Currently .5 behind Golden State.

Biggest choke job? Draymond choking Rudy or the Warriors choking away the season.
The Warriors are just aging out. It was going to happen eventually. They need another guy to take attention away from Curry. Wiggins has fallen back this year a lot over the last couple. They moved Klay to the bench. Those are their 2 and 3 options in past couple years.

I don't think they're choking per se. It's an even tougher reality for them. They just aren't very good.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

YBBR wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:38 pm
Jimi_Thing wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:38 pm And Houston grabs another W. Currently .5 behind Golden State.

The Warriors are just aging out. It was going to happen eventually. They need another guy to take attention away from Curry. Wiggins has fallen back this year a lot over the last couple. They moved Klay to the bench. Those are their 2 and 3 options in past couple years.

I don't think they're choking per se. It's an even tougher reality for them. They just aren't very good.
Again, why I was so glad the Bulls just broke up the team after 98. Eventually, that team would have broken down too. Instead, they got to ride off into the sunset (as a collective). I would have hated to see that team get old and shitty together.

- Isaac Asimov
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:41 pm
YBBR wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:38 pm

Again, why I was so glad the Bulls just broke up the team after 98. Eventually, that team would have broken down too. Instead, they got to ride off into the sunset (as a collective). I would have hated to see that team get old and shitty together.
If Jordan still retires and they bring back everyone else. How good are the hypothetical 99 Bulls? Probably pretty good, but not a great team. With Jordan they could still compete for a championship, but yeah eventually the wheels start to fall off.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

clippers continue to fade--losing to the pacers last night 133-116 on their home court.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:23 am clippers continue to fade--losing to the pacers last night 133-116 on their home court.
Ya hate to see it! :lol:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

OKC/NO and dallas vs. sacramento tonight. no matter who wins these games it's okay for the wolves. as long as these other teams have to play each other and they split games it solidifies that third spot. the wolves take care of their business and they can still move up too.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

I was looking at the FT disparity before and after the rule change for SGA.

Games in Dec/Jan: 309 attempts
Games in Feb/Mar: 165 attempts

He had more attempts in January alone (184) than he's had in the last two months. He had 29 attempts in the last two games against us, one of which we lost by 6 when he was given 16 attempts.

That's huge.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

SHAFA wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:08 am I was looking at the FT disparity before and after the rule change for SGA.

He had more attempts in January alone (184) than he's had in the last two months. He had 29 attempts in the last two games against us, one of which we lost by 6 when he was given 16 attempts.

That's huge.
rule change? i know horton said that fouls called/FT attempts and scoring are down in the games after the all-star break. by over four points a game. four plus FTs less per game too. something like that. but he's talked about the disparity for a few games now.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:06 pm
SHAFA wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:08 am I was looking at the FT disparity before and after the rule change for SGA.

That's huge.
rule change? i know horton said that fouls called/FT attempts and scoring are down in the games after the all-star break. by over four points a game. four plus FTs less per game too. something like that. but he's talked about the disparity for a few games now.
Probably the wrong term to use, but I was referring to the memo the league sent out that they wanted there to be a bigger focus on foul hunting. I hadn't really paid attention to the effects until I got bored yesterday and SGA was the first dude that popped into my head.
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

Yeah a power ranking I read mentioned something like he’s getting 2 less fta per game lately.

Also they were up 16 or so mid 3rd and are losing to pels. Had73 pts at half and 36 pts in the 2nd with 2 min left. (Now tied) edit again, now leading. I jinxed it. 2 quick triples and a pile of Pel turnovers. 10-0 run to seal it after pels got up 112-107.

Fun games tonight. Feels like a round 1 playoff night.