Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** 2023-24 Non-Timberwolves Game Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
weimy froob

Re: *** 2023-24 Non-Timberwolves Game Thread ***

Post by weimy froob »

twolves31 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:49 pm Solid night for the Wolves standing. Wolves win, and OKC, Clippers, and Sacramento all lose. Sacramento blew a huge lead to the Bulls. The Bulls have now made big comebacks for wins against the Wolves, New Orleans and now Sacramento. We play the Bull again at the end of the month, hopefully we don't take them lightly.
wolves couldn't ask for more from the lakers, bucks and bulls. blown leads seem to be a thing in this league. i wish i could remember the number horton said last night of the games the wolves have blown when having a 15 plus point lead. i think he said they lead the league with that number though. anyways, some of the hurt from those weekend losses goes away with that help last night. on the other hand, they could have created a little more separation with a FT here, and a correct call there. imagine having a chance of winning both those games when you're outscored in fast break points 19-0 in each of them.
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

witljon wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:15 am
twolves31 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:49 pm Solid night for the Wolves standing. Wolves win, and OKC, Clippers, and Sacramento all lose. Sacramento blew a huge lead to the Bulls. The Bulls have now made big comebacks for wins against the Wolves, New Orleans and now Sacramento. We play the Bull again at the end of the month, hopefully we don't take them lightly.
Being the top seed will be nice, but I don’t know how important it is. It is not going to be easy no matter what seed you are. The top 10 all can be pretty tough. Wolves, Den, Okl, LAC, Phx, NO, Sac, Dal, LaL, and GS.
I still think it's important come playoff time. Wolves will lock-in in the playoffs and the home court advantage will be more important. Going to be sad if OKC ends up the first or 2nd seed and loses to the Lakers in the first round. OKC seems to have no answer for Anthony Davis as the Lakers are 3-1 against them. Wolves toughest first round match up are more than likely New Orleans and Phoenix if both teams are healthy.
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

The Wolves (and all teams) blow big leads simply due to how the game is played in today's NBA...run and gun while living and dying by the 3. It's easy to build a 15-20 point lead quickly when a team gets hot and the 3's are dropping; conversely, it's also quite easy to blow that same lead when they cool off and the 3's are not falling.

It absolutely blows my mind that teams don't know how to (or are unwilling to) play with a lead. It's crazy.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

A$$MAN wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:36 am The Wolves (and all teams) blow big leads simply due to how the game is played in today's NBA...run and gun while living and dying by the 3. It's easy to build a 15-20 point lead quickly when a team gets hot and the 3's are dropping; conversely, it's also quite easy to blow that same lead when they cool off and the 3's are not falling.

It absolutely blows my mind that teams don't know how to (or are unwilling to) play with a lead. It's crazy.
yeah in those games the three point shooting reverts to the mean for both sides. but when you have a double digit lead in the 4th quarter you have to have the ability to put teams away and not squander that advantage just because the other team hits a couple of three pointers in a row. take care of the ball and don't even get into your offense until you let the time clock go down to 14 seconds. too many times they're jacking up shots early and if they miss that's as good as a turnover. why they're unwilling to play smart basketball in the last quarter is beyond me and i'm sure their coaches. the wolves didn't play smart after conley hit that three to put them up by 15 with less than five minutes to go. the lead was too much for the blazers to make a complete comeback--but to win by only five points is ridiculous. finch keeps saying that they need to know how to close these teams out. the problem is it's a players league and these guys have a difficult time listening to their coaches until it gets to be a one or two possession game. they're all ears then--but by then it sometimes is too late. you fuck around and then you find out. see the charlotte game. among others.
witljon

Post by witljon »

A$$MAN wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:36 am The Wolves (and all teams) blow big leads simply due to how the game is played in today's NBA...run and gun while living and dying by the 3. It's easy to build a 15-20 point lead quickly when a team gets hot and the 3's are dropping; conversely, it's also quite easy to blow that same lead when they cool off and the 3's are not falling.

The Celtics blew a 22 point 4th quarter lead to the Cavs tonight.
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

witljon wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:30 pm

Didn't watch a second of that game, so took a look at the 4th quarter play by play. A quick glance looks like the Celtics had 7 missed threes over 10 possessions while the Cavs were making their big run. Yep, good idea to chuck threes up 22 with 9 minutes left :roll:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

A$$MAN wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:00 pm
witljon wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:30 pm

Didn't watch a second of that game, so took a look at the 4th quarter play by play. A quick glance looks like the Celtics had 7 missed threes over 10 possessions while the Cavs were making their big run. Yep, good idea to chuck threes up 22 with 9 minutes left :roll:
it's like a disease. or an addiction.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Denver going into overtime in the desert. Would be a nice loss if Phoenix could pull this off.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:20 pm Denver going into overtime in the desert. Would be a nice loss if Phoenix could pull this off.
Durant dominant in OT. Phoenix wins by 10. Nuggets fall a full game behind the Wolves.

- Isaac Asimov
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

Thank you Phoenix
My heart is family.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:32 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:20 pm Denver going into overtime in the desert. Would be a nice loss if Phoenix could pull this off.
Durant dominant in OT. Phoenix wins by 10. Nuggets fall a full game behind the Wolves.
Nuggets 6 game win streak is done.
BBG

Post by BBG »

If the wolves would have won just 1 game over the weekend they would have a small cushion
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

I got some guff on a different board when I dared to suggest that Sengun should be right in the conversation with Wemby and Chet as one of the best young centers in the game. Last night in a win over SAS, VW went 10/11 with 7 blocks - but AS went 45/13/3 with 5 steals and a block. Not a bad line head to head against Vic in a win.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

BBG wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:13 am If the wolves would have won just 1 game over the weekend they would have a small cushion
don't look back. they need to play well on this road trip. it's going to be another good test for the team. as an aside--phoenix still makes me nervous. when do they have their next game against the suns?
BBG

Post by BBG »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:44 am
BBG wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:13 am If the wolves would have won just 1 game over the weekend they would have a small cushion
don't look back. they need to play well on this road trip. it's going to be another good test for the team. as an aside--phoenix still makes me nervous. when do they have their next game against the suns?
4/5 &
4/14 - last game of the year

Lots of matchups with the Lake show, Dubs, and Jazz coming up. I love beating these teams.

LFG
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:39 am I got some guff on a different board when I dared to suggest that Sengun should be right in the conversation with Wemby and Chet as one of the best young centers in the game. Last night in a win over SAS, VW went 10/11 with 7 blocks - but AS went 45/13/3 with 5 steals and a block. Not a bad line head to head against Vic in a win.
Sengun is amazing.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

BBG wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:48 am
weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:44 am
4/5 &
4/14 - last game of the year

Lots of matchups with the Lake show, Dubs, and Jazz coming up. I love beating these teams.

LFG
got it. thanks. it all starts with the pacers and the cavs. i'm expecting/hoping for much better execution on the offensive end on this trip.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Gotta say, I'm not terrifically impressed with the reigning champions bench. Last night, in their loss to the Suns, only four reserves got into the game - Reggie Jackson, Peyton Watson, Christian Braun and Zeke Nnaji. 6 of 19 from the field for just 16 points. And when I look at the list of guys who were DNP-CD or inactive, I don't see anything of note. No cavalry on the way. They feel really thin.
BBG

Post by BBG »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:53 am Gotta say, I'm not terrifically impressed with the reigning champions bench. Last night, in their loss to the Suns, only four reserves got into the game - Reggie Jackson, Peyton Watson, Christian Braun and Zeke Nnaji. 6 of 19 from the field for just 16 points. And when I look at the list of guys who were DNP-CD or inactive, I don't see anything of note. No cavalry on the way. They feel really thin.
Best team since the All Star break, though. They had a team meeting a few weeks back and have been rolling. I feel like the next time(s) we play Denver they are going to come at us hard to kill all that noise about how the wolves matchup with Denver

That win in November was a long time ago
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

SHAFA wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:50 am
somuchyummy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:39 am I got some guff on a different board when I dared to suggest that Sengun should be right in the conversation with Wemby and Chet as one of the best young centers in the game. Last night in a win over SAS, VW went 10/11 with 7 blocks - but AS went 45/13/3 with 5 steals and a block. Not a bad line head to head against Vic in a win.
Sengun is amazing.
Hoopla doesn't seem to faze him. Really solid head on the kid, who just goes out and plays the game. Vic had 7 blocks last night - I'll assume a bunch were on shots from Sengun. Which obviously didn't impact him in the least.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

clutch time game down in houston. clippers and rockets tied at 108. rockets have had the lead the whole game--but the clippers finally caught them. 3:22 left.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

clippers put up a 42 point 4th quarter to catch up and then pull away from the rockets. houston had a 13 point lead at the half and i don't know how much they might have extended it in the second half before the clippers made their push.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

kings win by two at home against SA. nuggets beat boston.

Celtics are the NBA's best team? Nuggets say not so fast
Boston is all but certain to finish with the league's best record, but Denver swept the season series Thursday as Nikola Jokic delivered a dominant triple-double.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

DLo goes for 44 and the lakers beat the bucks by one point. lebron didn't play.

After forcing Lillard into a miss on a driving layup in traffic, the Lakers had their chance — 23.2 seconds left, down one and in possession of the ball.

First, it was Russell, as he did all night, breaking down the Milwaukee defense and putting in a 13-footer with his left hand. With the Lakers needing one last stop, Spencer Dinwiddie, the Angeleno native making his first start for the team (in James’ place), smothered Lillard and blocked a potential game-winner in the final seconds, securing an emotional 123-122 win.

Russell finished with a season-best 44 points while making nine threes — his run of stellar play over the last two months reaching a new high.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Luka Dončić becomes 1st NBA player with 6 straight 30-point triple-doubles in Mavs' win vs. Pistons
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

SGA is good, but this is loser mentality.

- Isaac Asimov
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

Anyone see the list of names of players currently not eligible for post season awards? It's getting pretty crazy...notables include Embiid, Jimmy Butler, Kyrie Irving, Kristaps Porzingis, Julius Randle and Bradley Beal. Towns and Trae Young about to join it as well.

I for one am loving this and think it's really magnifying the amount of games some of these fools miss each season. I also can't believe there are still arguments for Embiid to be MVP. How can a player play less than half of a season, yet people still think they are deserving of an award? That's crazy!

About time that players who actually play games get recognized! No more relying on reputation or name recognition or what you have done in the past.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

A$$MAN wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:12 am Anyone see the list of names of players currently not eligible for post season awards? It's getting pretty crazy...notables include Embiid, Jimmy Butler, Kyrie Irving, Kristaps Porzingis, Julius Randle and Bradley Beal. Towns and Trae Young about to join it as well.

I for one am loving this and think it's really magnifying the amount of games some of these fools miss each season. I also can't believe there are still arguments for Embiid to be MVP. How can a player play less than half of a season, yet people still think they are deserving of an award? That's crazy!

About time that players who actually play games get recognized! No more relying on reputation or name recognition or what you have done in the past.
I like it but also agree with another Rube that suggested that there should be some form of injury designation where a proper injury doesn't strip a play from qualifying for these awards. For example, let's say Rudy had KAT's knee surgery and it took him out of commission for 4 weeks. Does he not still deserve DPOY especially if his time recovering magnifies the greatness he brings?
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:31 am SGA is good, but this is loser mentality.

The winning team running up the score when the shot clock is off is an obvious immature/dick move. The losing team going for an easy bucket when the shot clock is off to get their team past 100 points or to pad their stats is equally dickish. Hopefully the basketball Gods were watching and frown upon him.
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:22 am
A$$MAN wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:12 am Anyone see the list of names of players currently not eligible for post season awards? It's getting pretty crazy...notables include Embiid, Jimmy Butler, Kyrie Irving, Kristaps Porzingis, Julius Randle and Bradley Beal. Towns and Trae Young about to join it as well.

I like it but also agree with another Rube that suggested that there should be some form of injury designation where a proper injury doesn't strip a play from qualifying for these awards. For example, let's say Rudy had KAT's knee surgery and it took him out of commission for 4 weeks. Does he not still deserve DPOY especially if his time recovering magnifies the greatness he brings?
Jimi, that was me who proposed that idea...I can't remember exactly what I said, but it was basically using an NFL IR list or baseball disabled list. Basically, if you are really injured you go on whatever the list is and those games don't count against games missed for awards. However, if you are on that list, you are guaranteed to miss X number of games/days. Then change the number of non designated injury (i.e. rest/load management) missed games to a lesser amount to be eligible for awards.