Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Official 23-24 Go On Record Wolves Predictions Thread***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Rusty Kuntz

***Official 23-24 Go On Record Wolves Predictions Thread***

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Every year at this time I get irrationally overly optimistic about the Wolves, but this year feels different. I think we are going to be really good. Like really good. Top 2 in the west behind Denver, and we will win the mid season tournament. I think Ant is going to take another leap to super duper star, all nba 1st team good. KAT will flourish in his Robin roll with the pressure off. Rudy will take a back seat on the offensive end, no more feeding him, but he will still get his in the dunkers spot. Fuck it, we are winning 50 games this year, let’s go!! :beer:

Side notes: Naz Reid, NAW will be a stud 3 & D guy, Shake Milton will be a fan favorite, super deep bench, WOLVES BACK!
bubu dubu.

Re: ***Official 23-24 Go On Record Wolves Predictions Thread***

Post by bubu dubu. »

79-3
MichaelRay

Post by MichaelRay »

I love reading the national publications takes away the homer element of it. Most of them have us anywhere from the 8 to 11 spot in the west ESPN has us at nine in the west.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/385 ... -odds-more

43-39
witljon

Post by witljon »

NBA champions
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

65-17
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

82-0
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Style

Post by Style »

Top 4 seed in the West. We’ll call it 47 wins.

Troy Brown Jr. proves himself to be a very good addition.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

55 w's.

Book it. Learn the game. Rookies.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

48-34
Ketchup can be nuancy
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Zambonee Guy

Post by Zambonee Guy »

46-36
T_J

Post by T_J »

MichaelRay wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:48 pm I love reading the national publications takes away the homer element of it. Most of them have us anywhere from the 8 to 11 spot in the west ESPN has us at nine in the west.

43-39
The advanced stats guys have us much better than that.
T_J

Post by T_J »

44 wins is my prediction.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

45 W's, 1st round exit, KAT exit shortly after that.

How are we watching this year? What services will have the games? I currently have YouTubeTV and they do not.
Let's get Tropical
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

jffl_commish wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:19 am 45 W's, 1st round exit, KAT exit shortly after that.

How are we watching this year? What services will have the games? I currently have YouTubeTV and they do not.
I'll be downloading Bally's this season again when I get home today. I believe that's the easiest way to watch the Wolves without watching it on some streaming service like streameast.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:45 am
jffl_commish wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:19 am 45 W's, 1st round exit, KAT exit shortly after that.

I'll be downloading Bally's this season again when I get home today. I believe that's the easiest way to watch the Wolves without watching it on some streaming service like streameast.
I'm probably going to dump YTTV in favor of Fubo. I refuse to give the single entity any money directly.
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

Anything short of 50 wins will be a disappointment. You mortgaged the future and doubled down and went all in with the recent extensions. We’re maxed out on the salary cap. This is the roster you’re betting on winning it all, time for the players to put up or shut up
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

SKOLMN wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:13 pm Anything short of 50 wins will be a disappointment. You mortgaged the future and doubled down and went all in with the recent extensions. We’re maxed out on the salary cap. This is the roster you’re betting on winning it all, time for the players to put up or shut up
I don't understand how the recent extensions of Naz, McDaniels, and NAW are part of this 'mortgaged the future' bit. Especially when nobody is being grossly overpaid to stay here.

The Wolves gave up a lot to get Gobert but let's not pretend there's going to be a complete drought of draft picks because of that. The Wolves need to make hay out of the 2nd round picks during this stretch and hopefully hit on the years that they have a fist round pick. It's nothing like when Stern stripped the Wolves of 1st round picks for 5 years. This current roster is plenty strong and young enough to overcome not having a 1st round pick every other year until for x amount of years.
shuttlesworth

Post by shuttlesworth »

51-31
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Post by ChrisPaulGeorgeHill »

Injuries will play a role this year, I feel.

Conley has an injury history. If/when he gets hurt, it will expose our lack of depth at PG.

Also, I don’t think KAT/Rudy works out either.

Ant will be ANT.

Same struggle to find a team identity.

That said, I say 34-48.

Just don’t think it works out sad to say.
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:44 pm
SKOLMN wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:13 pm Anything short of 50 wins will be a disappointment. You mortgaged the future and doubled down and went all in with the recent extensions. We’re maxed out on the salary cap. This is the roster you’re betting on winning it all, time for the players to put up or shut up
I don't understand how the recent extensions of Naz, McDaniels, and NAW are part of this 'mortgaged the future' bit. Especially when nobody is being grossly overpaid to stay here.

The Wolves gave up a lot to get Gobert but let's not pretend there's going to be a complete drought of draft picks because of that. The Wolves need to make hay out of the 2nd round picks during this stretch and hopefully hit on the years that they have a fist round pick. It's nothing like when Stern stripped the Wolves of 1st round picks for 5 years. This current roster is plenty strong and young enough to overcome not having a 1st round pick every other year until for x amount of years.
The extensions, coupled with towns and gobert’s salaries mean we can’t bring in anyone other than 2nd round picks/end of the bench guys cause we don’t have any money. And alternating years of first round picks will prolong any “rebuild” because it already takes several years for players to gain their footing in the league.

And I’m not complaining about the extensions, all of them were no brainers. It just pigeonholes us into the roster we have cause if we have to trade towns or gobert, it’ll be because the gamble didn’t work and we’ll receive diminishing returns on either of them
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

SKOLMN wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:49 pm

The extensions, coupled with towns and gobert’s salaries mean we can’t bring in anyone other than 2nd round picks/end of the bench guys cause we don’t have any money. And alternating years of first round picks will prolong any “rebuild” because it already takes several years for players to gain their footing in the league.

And I’m not complaining about the extensions, all of them were no brainers. It just pigeonholes us into the roster we have cause if we have to trade towns or gobert, it’ll be because the gamble didn’t work and we’ll receive diminishing returns on either of them
The goal is to avoid the whole 'rebuild' process though. The Towns and Gobert contracts don't go on forever and both players can be moved for assets. I agree that the Wolves will have overpaid for Gobert if they don't make a serious run at the Championship but it's not some gross overpay that will completely leave the team ruined. The team has young talent waiting to move up in the pecking order with Minnott, Leonard, and Garza. They also have some young TBD talent in Moore Jr. and Jaylen Clark. Having 1st round picks every other year for a bit of time is something they will be able to weather.
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:59 pm

The goal is to avoid the whole 'rebuild' process though. The Towns and Gobert contracts don't go on forever and both players can be moved for assets. I agree that the Wolves will have overpaid for Gobert if they don't make a serious run at the Championship but it's not some gross overpay that will completely leave the team ruined. The team has young talent waiting to move up in the pecking order with Minnott, Leonard, and Garza. They also have some young TBD talent in Moore Jr. and Jaylen Clark. Having 1st round picks every other year for a bit of time is something they will be able to weather.
Your perception is banking on the fact we have ready made talent in the wings should gobert and towns move on, and that’s wishful thinking. Garza and minnott both have played well in spurts but thinking they can be anything more than bench players is really optimistic. Clark and miller haven’t even played one minute of pro ball and already you have them as long term pieces, and Moore may not even be on the roster a year from now. The fact is our future is ant and mcdaniels. Naz can be also considered here but he’s only under control for 3 years. Towns and gobert are the wildcards and everyone else is either just filler that can easily be replaced or lottery tickets were hoping we hit on. If towns and gobert fails and we cut our losses we’re going to have to revamp our team with a lot of production that will need to be replaced
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

If Mike can maintain and we only have one instance of injury to a main player. I think we will do 53. Unless the injury is season ending.
My heart is family.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

SKOLMN wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:29 pm
Jimi_Thing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:59 pm

Your perception is banking on the fact we have ready made talent in the wings should gobert and towns move on, and that’s wishful thinking. Garza and minnott both have played well in spurts but thinking they can be anything more than bench players is really optimistic. Clark and miller haven’t even played one minute of pro ball and already you have them as long term pieces, and Moore may not even be on the roster a year from now. The fact is our future is ant and mcdaniels. Naz can be also considered here but he’s only under control for 3 years. Towns and gobert are the wildcards and everyone else is either just filler that can easily be replaced or lottery tickets were hoping we hit on. If towns and gobert fails and we cut our losses we’re going to have to revamp our team with a lot of production that will need to be replaced
I am factoring in that if we were to move on from both Gobert and Towns, the Wolves will be getting assets in return. Right now a foundation of Ant, McDaniels, and Naz is pretty solid. Continuing to bring in solid players on team friendly contracts that both play smart/solid defense and can also score is an approach I don't see Conley moving away from. Gone are the days of inconsistent players like DLo and Beasley that simply showcase their talent on offense while getting abused on defense.

I'm also of the belief that young players with experience like NAW, Shake, and Brown Jr. can't easily be replaced by a first round draft picks. I also believe there's going to be a long upcoming stretch where the Wolves' first round picks aren't gonna be lottery picks.

Anyways, as I've stated before, I believe the Wolves are gonna win it all this year. Once they accomplish that minor little task, all of this 'Kat isn't a winner' and 'We gave 2 too many 1st rounders for Gobert' talk will be put to bed.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

This team is deeper than last years team. You presumably have Towns back and producing. That should make a big difference. You get the benefits of cohesion having most of the players come back from last year. They dropped all of those games last year to the worst teams in the league and still scratched out 42 wins.

You take all of those factors into account and maybe there's enough evidence to say that if everything hits right this could be a 50 win team.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the yahoo writers aren't believers. of the four, only dan devine has them in the top eight--and that's in seventh.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

MichaelRay wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:48 pm I love reading the national publications takes away the homer element of it. Most of them have us anywhere from the 8 to 11 spot in the west ESPN has us at nine in the west.

43-39
DH's bit.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

I predict Jaden will be the new scapegoat if things don't go well. "He's not worth all that MONEY!!!"
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Jack Soo 5

Post by Jack Soo 5 »

Catalyst wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:43 pm If Mike can maintain and we only have one instance of injury to a main player. I think we will do 53. Unless the injury is season ending.
This is my thought as well, but with 51 wins

Go Wolves!!
Keep your stick on the ice