Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Thoughts on the game

Home for Gopher football topics
hategreenticemase

Thoughts on the game

Post by hategreenticemase »

1. Spann Ford is the single most over hyped and disappointing player of the last 20 years here. They do nothing and I mean NOTHING with him vertically, and whatever talent and athleticism he is over hyped with, they leverage almost nothing from it. Oh he isn't very good at catching footballs either.

2. We have two damn good backs if Evans is healthy. He and Taylor are a nice combo. Not having either last two drives was a killer.

3. AK issues are almost entirely on PJ and our QB coaching. This big kid with a live arm is damn sure talented and them refusing to use games against shitty teams to develop him and their inability to clean up footwork and polish his mechanics is fucking criminal at this point. Fleck can't compete with nil, ok, you better go find the brightest young QB whisperer you can find and find some angle on giving us an advantage on developing qb's.

4. Whoever the elderly rules official fellow the broadcast needs to go back to the home. Holy shit was that clown comical. He actually was trying to tell us that the single most obvious targeting call perhaps we have ever seen was not going to be called targeting. It was awesome - babbling some nonsense about it wasn't entirely him using his crown of his helmet, it was his face mask also which of course was ridiculous as it was completely clear he aimed his head at the dude and hit him. It was perhaps the most preposterous "analysis" I have ever heard.

5. It's incredible to me we cannot find receivers that can simply catch the goddamn ball. Even when AK mixes in putting a great ball on a guy and tries throwing them open, they can't consistently make the damn play. Crooms can go. I can't take that fucker. The only decent receiver we have, Jackson, he drops some at times. Note, not complaining about Jackson, just wish we had 3 of him.

6. Yesterday we played an entire football game and two players, yes TWO PLAYERS, caught a pass. TWO. 10 completions, 7 to Jackson and 3 to our rb. That's not completely on the QB and the QB performance isn't completely on the QB either (see bullet 3). Absolutely incredible. :lol:

7. The incredible fear that Fleck coaches with is hilarious. You usually lose a game like yesterday, PJ, and it's because games you can use as "practice" to develop your passing offense and young QB, you instead play to eke out enough points (totally wasting the opportunity for growth) and because in these games against quality opponents you coach from a place of fear. Yest you got the W as much out of benefiting from the only guy in the country more conseryabd fear based than you. :lol:
feekdogg

Re: Thoughts on the game

Post by feekdogg »

My thoughts before the game yesterday were that there was no way I could envision the Gophers getting the win.
I was right. I could have thought for centuries and never come up with 4 field goals and a punt return TD nullified by penalty as the correct winning scenario.
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

There was zero upside to the game. They could not score, Iowa has a qb that looks like a linebacker, and 5 players could not stop the punt return guy while being 5 ft from him.

Leave the pig at the state line, fire the coach and fucking start over.
hategreenticemase

Sellingguy wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:11 pm There was zero upside to the game. They could not score, Iowa has a qb that looks like a linebacker, and 5 players could not stop the punt return guy while being 5 ft from him.

Leave the pig at the state line, fire the coach and fucking start over.
Hadn't seen a fat QB in a long time. What was the KY dude many years ago, Lorenzen or something?

Dude has a pot belly. Hilarious.
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:49 am My thoughts before the game yesterday were that there was no way I could envision the Gophers getting the win.
I was right. I could have thought for centuries and never come up with 4 field goals and a punt return TD nullified by penalty as the correct winning scenario.
Well played. :lol:

It's hard to believe we can be so consistently bad at ST.
TheLokNesMonster

Post by TheLokNesMonster »

The Gophers are a mediocre program. I’m being generous because a team with their resources producing like they have for the last six decades is a dedication to mediocrity.

I’m with SG. Torch this shit. Give up and become the FCS team they’ve always been anyway. Make it official.

Boo! You suck! :thumbsdown: :gun: :doublefinger: :brick: :punch: :scooter:
rtb

Post by rtb »

My thoughts are I’ve seen enough unbelievable can’t make it up losses snatched from the jaws of victory over the years that I can enjoy it when fortune shines the other way on us. Team has issues for sure but all I’m reading is bitching from everyone here. We have Floyd and the Axe at the same time, come on people, allow yourself to enjoy it a little!
Zambonee Guy

Post by Zambonee Guy »

The defense played well. Given it was against one of the worst offenses in football, but they shut them out in the 2nd half and did what they needed to do in Iowa.

At some point PJ has got to let AK loose and let him learn and make mistakes.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

rtb wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:56 am My thoughts are I’ve seen enough unbelievable can’t make it up losses snatched from the jaws of victory over the years that I can enjoy it when fortune shines the other way on us. Team has issues for sure but all I’m reading is bitching from everyone here. We have Floyd and the Axe at the same time, come on people, allow yourself to enjoy it a little!
i was entertained--and the pig is back on the U campus. can't complain. that pic in the game day thread where they all missed that tackle though? that's pretty bad special teams play right there.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Special Teams coach should have been shitcanned years ago. Makes zero sense for it consistently be a problem, year in, year out (the kicker/punter are not the issue). Fleck uses some of his best DBs on special teams. Kick/punt coverage is shit. And the return game is an embarrassment.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

In the reply on the PR did it look like the defenders stopped playing thinking there had been a fair catch? I honestly only saw it once and it's the only likely scenario that makes sense for there not to have been a tackle.
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:21 am Special Teams coach should have been shitcanned years ago. Makes zero sense for it consistently be a problem, year in, year out (the kicker/punter are not the issue). Fleck uses some of his best DBs on special teams. Kick/punt coverage is shit. And the return game is an embarrassment.
It's incredible to me. Forget the penalty that saved our ass, how the fuck does the guy score when he is literally ON THE SIDELINE and you have 5 guys there? Preposterous.

I don't remember it it happened sat but multiple times we let punts bounce - drives me crazy. Parcells in one of those anthology shows preached at a guy, just catch the fucking ball. It should never bounce. Don't fumble, don't drop it, don't let it bounce. Give me a guy that can do those three things and we're good.

Poor coaching. Period.
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

Has anyone from the local media started asking PJ any tough questions or started calling for his removal?
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Sellingguy wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:43 am Has anyone from the local media started asking PJ any tough questions or started calling for his removal?
Does anyone realistically expect this program with its monetary constraints relative to the most of the Big Ten to be able to compete with Michigan and Ohio State?

I'm not saying PJ gets an eternal free pass, but it's going to take more than this season to get him sent packing. The program has inched closer to level of Iowa and Wisconsin and anyone expecting more than than regularly is out of their mind.

When it comes to booster $$ they're not even close to Iowa and UW for $$ and were ranked only 48th most for top booster $$ from 2005-2022. I mean neither Wisconsin nor Iowa even have a single CFP appearance between them either.

https://247sports.com/longformarticle/c ... 2/#2225305

BT only:

48. Minnesota Golden Gophers: $199 million
42. Nebraska Cornhuskers: $236 million
37. Purdue Boilermakers: $289 million
28. Indiana Hoosiers: $351 million
26. Illinois Fighting Illini: $373 million
25. Penn State Nittany Lions: $386 million
24. Wisconsin Badgers: $389 million
21. Michigan State Spartans: $439 million
16. Iowa Hawkeyes: $477 million
15. Michigan Wolverines: $493 million
11. Ohio State Buckeyes: $536 million
Zambonee Guy

Post by Zambonee Guy »

I don't think anyone thinks the Gophers should consistently win against Wisconsin and Iowa, but year after year under PJ they drop at least 1-2 games against shitty teams who they're expected to handily beat.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Well he's 3-3 so far H2H vs. UW while the previous regimes combined for 4-24 starting in 1991. Think about that for a second - the all-time series is currently tied vs. UW despite a stretch with a 20 loss deficit. That's a long stretch of absolute horseshit. Mason did some very good things, but also rarely had a legit defense, did shit in the BT and has some monumental chokes and a poor bowl record. I think PJ's teams are 4-0.

If UW and Iowa have never played in a CFP chances are they are also dropping games they should win. And Minnesota has competed against a few other BT teams that get a lot more $$ from boosters including Nebraska and Purdue.

The question comes down to what is the trade-off of replacing him now with what they can hire knowing that the school is at a big $$ disadvantage. If he goes he goes and I am 100% not arguing he's irreplaceable, but they better damn well do their diligence in finding a replacement.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Post by WannaBeProGolferGuy »

Sellingguy wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:43 am Has anyone from the local media started asking PJ any tough questions or started calling for his removal?
JFC, the local media asks PJ tough questions all the time. Most recent example is today about the "controversial invalid fair catch signal" today. Fleck answered it correctly in that it wasn't controversial and he gave a very detailed explanation of the "Poison rule" implemented years ago that you can't point to a ball but you can NOT advance the ball. The refs bleeped up and allowed this DeJean to advance the ball when it should have been blown dead.

Local media has all the right to ask for his removal. But then the UofM Administration has to ask why? He has won 9 games 3 of the last 4 seasons ( Yes I am including bowl victories). He is the best Head Football Coach the U has had since the 60's so why remove him?

Is his philosophy of run the ball 70% of the time and play defense very outdated in today's game? Yes, it is. But I also think that if he had more confidence in his QB and WR's then he would be aggressive and pass more. I suspect that was his approach this season but the QB so far has regressed and the WR's aren't NFL caliber. Thus he goes back to his "winning formula" of run, run, run, punt, play stout defense.

Let's be honest, the UofM football program will never ever ever be on the same level as OSU, Michigan, PSU, etc. The Twin Cities is a corporate town and the decision makers at these gigantic companies will be more loyal to the University they received their Undergraduate or Graduate degree from vs. the UofM. The CEO of General Mills, or 3M, or Cargill, or Target will not donate OR setup NIL deals with the UofM if they are a graduate from Michigan or Wisconsin or USC or Oklahoma
GopherGuy

Post by GopherGuy »

Slap Shot wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:58 pm
Does anyone realistically expect this program with its monetary constraints relative to the most of the Big Ten to be able to compete with Michigan and Ohio State?

I'm not saying PJ gets an eternal free pass, but it's going to take more than this season to get him sent packing. The program has inched closer to level of Iowa and Wisconsin and anyone expecting more than than regularly is out of their mind.

When it comes to booster $$ they're not even close to Iowa and UW for $$ and were ranked only 48th most for top booster $$ from 2005-2022. I mean neither Wisconsin nor Iowa even have a single CFP appearance between them either.

https://247sports.com/longformarticle/c ... 2/#2225305

BT only:

48. Minnesota Golden Gophers: $199 million
42. Nebraska Cornhuskers: $236 million
37. Purdue Boilermakers: $289 million
28. Indiana Hoosiers: $351 million
26. Illinois Fighting Illini: $373 million
25. Penn State Nittany Lions: $386 million
24. Wisconsin Badgers: $389 million
21. Michigan State Spartans: $439 million
16. Iowa Hawkeyes: $477 million
15. Michigan Wolverines: $493 million
11. Ohio State Buckeyes: $536 million
There is a freshman QB out of South Dakota that is fourth on the depth chart at Ohio State and he just posted today that he was given an Audi Q5. Didn't mention if it was a lease or not. I saw the deal with Utah's players getting trucks. Regardless how do you compete with that when you have the cash to do that for a fourth stringer? Someone on Gopherhole mentioned they work with the kid's dad and he was originally promised 60k in NIL from Washington before he flipped to Ohio State. Actually said it was a 25k drop in promised NIL. How does that side of NIL work? Everyone knows damn well it isn't a booster promising that money to the recruit. It has to be the coaches with the booster's backing.
hategreenticemase

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:54 pm
JFC, the local media asks PJ tough questions all the time. Most recent example is today about the "controversial invalid fair catch signal" today. Fleck answered it correctly in that it wasn't controversial and he gave a very detailed explanation of the "Poison rule" implemented years ago that you can't point to a ball but you can NOT advance the ball. The refs bleeped up and allowed this DeJean to advance the ball when it should have been blown dead.

Local media has all the right to ask for his removal. But then the UofM Administration has to ask why? He has won 9 games 3 of the last 4 seasons ( Yes I am including bowl victories). He is the best Head Football Coach the U has had since the 60's so why remove him?

Is his philosophy of run the ball 70% of the time and play defense very outdated in today's game? Yes, it is. But I also think that if he had more confidence in his QB and WR's then he would be aggressive and pass more. I suspect that was his approach this season but the QB so far has regressed and the WR's aren't NFL caliber. Thus he goes back to his "winning formula" of run, run, run, punt, play stout defense.

Let's be honest, the UofM football program will never ever ever be on the same level as OSU, Michigan, PSU, etc. The Twin Cities is a corporate town and the decision makers at these gigantic companies will be more loyal to the University they received their Undergraduate or Graduate degree from vs. the UofM. The CEO of General Mills, or 3M, or Cargill, or Target will not donate OR setup NIL deals with the UofM if they are a graduate from Michigan or Wisconsin or USC or Oklahoma
First of all, Lou Holtz is easily the best coach we have here in my lifetime. He would have gotten it done here. Please stop with he is best we have since 60s.

Second of all, stop alibiing on the "if he had more confidence in QB would pass more". That's complete nonsense as it's 100% on him and his staff that we are in this mess to fn begin with. We have a by all accounts really dedicated and good leader kid with big arm talent and athletic ability who has gone fucking backwards under this staff. It's absurd. We beat the fuck out of these shit opponents and throw 9 passes instead of looking at the big picture and understanding this kid is our best chance to win something in the next couple years let's take these games and develop his talent and grow his game. And clearly their day-to-day work with him on footwork and mechanics has been fucked. It's criminal what they have done with this kid. Period. It's also why we are in the midst of an underwhelming and disappointing season.

I'm not one of these guys looking to run fleck out of here. I cannot stand some of his smarmy silly shit, but I do think he has a lot of good attributes. His in game coaching leaves a lot to be desired however and his conservative bs is a limiting factor. That's just being realistic. But I'm also the guy who's always going to say well who you going to replace him with cuz I've been through this over and over and over again in my lifetime. So at this point I don't really have an answer, but I do have to say there's at least legitimate reason to question whether he should stay or question why he can't make some changes to take the next step.
Face The Facts

Post by Face The Facts »

Some of you are wanting to can the coach.
Funny stuff.

Most successful run at this institution in any of our lifetimes.

Imperfect team goes down and wins at Iowa for the first time in 24 years. Yeh, let's start over.

Yeh.. and they barely won. Now that matters.
They barely lost 3 of the last 4 times they played Iowa... and now we're going to feel bad about winning.

Some people can find disappointment in any room they walk into.
hategreenticemase

Woah, FTB, that is a blast from the past. Where you been?
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

Iowa beat Northwestern at Wrigley Field but that doesn't matter. Gophers in control of their own destiny.
Sky Spy in the Sky !
hategreenticemase

Hummdrum wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:45 pm Iowa beat Northwestern at Wrigley Field but that doesn't matter. Gophers in control of their own destiny.
Ya, well, they play OSU still so they don't control shit.