Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2023-24 Season Thread

Home for Gopher Basketball
feekdogg

Re: 2023-24 Season Thread

Post by feekdogg »

Hornets wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:20 am
Hoop Dreams wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:18 pm Jamison Battle with yet another loss at Williams Arena.
Do we know why he left Dinkytown? Did he really think Ohio State was going to be a better team?
He said he didn't play as well as he thought he could last year due to the pressures of playing at "home".
But he left because of NIL money and he thought OSU would certainly be a tourney team.
Whoops.

OSU also has a kid from Totino-Grace that was really highly rated, Taison Chatman. He scored 2 points last night, his first points of the season. There's already rumblings that he might end up transferring to the U.
rtb

Post by rtb »

Yeah after last season I don't think that was too bad a conclusion to draw

Really like the way this team plays. It's not hero ball like we saw too much under Pitino, the team plays solid team defense and I really like that if someone isn't scoring someone else steps up. It feels like a sustainable type of ball as long as the talent level is competent. We saw it a bit Ben's first season when the team overachieved to start the year, but it was hard to see during the second half collapse that season and last year's disaster. Having a legit PG makes such a difference.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

feekdogg wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:34 am
Hoop Dreams wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:18 pm Jamison Battle with yet another loss at Williams Arena.
Do we know why he left Dinkytown? Did he really think Ohio State was going to be a better team?
He said he didn't play as well as he thought he could last year due to the pressures of playing at "home".
But he left because of NIL money and he thought OSU would certainly be a tourney team.
Whoops.

OSU also has a kid from Totino-Grace that was really highly rated, Taison Chatman. He scored 2 points last night, his first points of the season. There's already rumblings that he might end up transferring to the U.
That's interesting.

And a guy has to wonder what the hell this team would look like if Battle was still here.

Feeky, you have to be warming on Benjamin.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

rtb wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:58 am Yeah after last season I don't think that was too bad a conclusion to draw

Really like the way this team plays. It's not hero ball like we saw too much under Pitino, the team plays solid team defense and I really like that if someone isn't scoring someone else steps up. It feels like a sustainable type of ball as long as the talent level is competent. We saw it a bit Ben's first season when the team overachieved to start the year, but it was hard to see during the second half collapse that season and last year's disaster. Having a legit PG makes such a difference.
I've been beating the drum for years that college ball, especially at tourney time, is all about guard play. There's outliers, but a team doesn't go anywhere without a competent point guard who can settle things down when the other team goes on a run and a guy or two on the wing who can consistently hit from three. Hawkins isn't Bobby Jackson, but he's better than they've had in a long time. And that makes everyone else better.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:20 am

Whoops.

That's interesting.

And a guy has to wonder what the hell this team would look like if Battle was still here.

I'll give him credit. He's found pieces that work and got them to commit to him. That's a big hurdle for a guy with a pretty incomplete resume to clear. Unfortunately, he's got to find a way to keep those pieces here, while continuing to figure things out on the floor as well. They had problems last night when OSU pressed as well. He's got to figure out how to adjust more quickly when the other team changes things up.
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:31 am
Whoops.

That's interesting.

I'll give him credit. He's found pieces that work and got them to commit to him. That's a big hurdle for a guy with a pretty incomplete resume to clear. Unfortunately, he's got to find a way to keep those pieces here, while continuing to figure things out on the floor as well. They had problems last night when OSU pressed as well. He's got to figure out how to adjust more quickly when the other team changes things up.
That's fair.

Do you think he will keep them all?
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:25 am
rtb wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:58 am Yeah after last season I don't think that was too bad a conclusion to draw

I've been beating the drum for years that college ball, especially at tourney time, is all about guard play. There's outliers, but a team doesn't go anywhere without a competent point guard who can settle things down when the other team goes on a run and a guy or two on the wing who can consistently hit from three. Hawkins isn't Bobby Jackson, but he's better than they've had in a long time. And that makes everyone else better.
Completely factual. In fact, I have said for years the absolute worst injury we ever had was Eric Harris end of 97. I think we win the final four with a healthy Harris they year. Best defensive back court ever.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:07 am

That's interesting.

That's fair.

You've got to figure people are going to come after Christie and Payne hard. But Payne's a MN kid who's already stuck it out through a tough stretch, and Christie didn't waver either, as bad as things looked last year.
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:17 am
That's fair.

You've got to figure people are going to come after Christie and Payne hard. But Payne's a MN kid who's already stuck it out through a tough stretch, and Christie didn't waver either, as bad as things looked last year.
Fingers crossed. What's word you hear on team culture, that's good, right?
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:21 am
feekdogg wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:17 am
That's fair.

Fingers crossed. What's word you hear on team culture, that's good, right?
I'd assume fine. I don't know much about the inner workings as far as hoops go (and not nearly as much about football as I used to).
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

feekdogg wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:17 pm Early 10 point lead. Gophers wearing te 70s throwback unis again.
They keep playing well in these, we might be done with stupid white uniforms at home.
Should be those at home, maroon on the road. That's it.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Whoops.

That's interesting.

Would definitely be interesting if Battle was still here... but if he was, he'd be taking minutes from Christie and Payne... and I am fine with those guys getting bigger roles as freshman and sophomore.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:28 pm
feekdogg wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:17 pm Early 10 point lead. Gophers wearing te 70s throwback unis again.
They keep playing well in these, we might be done with stupid white uniforms at home.
Should be those at home, maroon on the road. That's it.
I'd be fine with gold in nearly every game (unless the other team wants to wear gold). They're the Golden Gophers. Fleck seems hell bent on eliminating all use of gold from the football uniforms.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

They're damn sure a lot better than I thought they'd be. Kudos to them for playing their ass off.
Let's get Tropical
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

https://www.si.com/college/minnesota/ba ... ames-ahead

This article gets into what they'll likely have to do to get in. It's not really a mystery but thought I'd v share:
The victory over Ohio State, which was convincing as Minnesota (17-9, 8-8 Big Ten) led by as many as 17 points in the second half, earned Minnesota a Quad 2 win to help bolster their NCAA Tournament resume. They still need more Quad 1 wins – or a dramatic run in the Big Ten Tournament – to lock in a spot in the NCAA Tournament and overcome the fact that they played one of the easiest non-conference schedules in the nation.   

Friday's updated NET and KenPom rankings show the Gophers on the rise. They inched up from No. 73 to No. 72 in the NET and jumped to No. 63 in KenPom, both of which are important data points for the tournament selection committee.  

The most important metric seems be quality of wins, which makes Minnesota's 1-5 record in Quad 1 games a sticking point. They'll need more Quad 1 wins and they'll get opportunities Sunday at Nebraska, next Wednesday at Illinois and then March 9 at Northwestern.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

A win tonight puts the Gophers firmly on the bubble. It's going to be tough though. Nebraska rarely loses at home.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:44 pm A win tonight puts the Gophers firmly on the bubble. It's going to be tough though. Nebraska rarely loses at home.
Nebraska’s defense is swarming the gophers
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

20 points at halftime? Yikes.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:17 pm 20 points at halftime? Yikes.
Gophers are gonna be lucky to score 45 today
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Getting completely out-hustled and out-worked
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

An absolutely putrid performance on all levels.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Not ready for prime time...
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Super disappointing performance in an important game.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

That’s a good old fashioned ass kicking
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Lots of complaints over at the Gopherhole about how bad the officiaring was.
Yeah, that's why the Gophers got thumped.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Gonna be a tough one for Rodent hoop fans tonight, both guys and gals.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

They have to win this one tonight to have any chance at the Tourney.

It’s probably a long shot anyway but at least there is still a bit to play for with a win tonight.

Can Ben get a top 25 W?
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:32 pm They have to win this one tonight to have any chance at the Tourney.

It’s probably a long shot anyway but at least there is still a bit to play for with a win tonight.

Can Ben get a top 25 W?
What happened to the old RT?
Last edited by Hornets on Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Offense is humming tonight.
Defense might not be able to stop me.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

It’s slipping away.

Need a few stops. Not sure if they can get them.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master