Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Did you play MMORPG's back in the heyday? aka 1999 and onwards

Video game themed message board
Moses Scurry

Did you play MMORPG's back in the heyday? aka 1999 and onwards

Post by Moses Scurry »

I was an Asheron's Call lifer. The game shut down 5+ years ago but a bunch of super nerds did packet captures and have rebuilt the game so I can scratch that itch as needed. (it lasted from 1999 to i think 2017 which is actually incredible with monthly updates almost for the whole life of the game)

Why I posted is I started watching Everquest videos and it looks like they have a 1999 emulator and I'm shocked that game was bigger than AC. It has it's strong points, it looks way more fantastical than AC, but it looks real bad in other ways. Makes me bitter that it was more popular.

WoW basically cratered any creativity in the industry once it exploded. All games became WoW clones in a sense which really sucks.

I dabbled in multiple MMO's over the years but nothing like your first one.
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Re: Did you play MMORPG's back in the heyday? aka 1999 and onwards

Post by Abe Froman »

I tried EverQuest but after I moved out of the dorms it was back to the old dial up for a few years. After that, I didn't have a good enough PC to run very much and kinda just went full console gamer for a couple decades
I made this!
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Abe Froman »

I did buy that final fantasy MMO that came out in the mid 2000's when I picked up an older gaming rig on eBay. The gaming rig was pretty shitty and I think I managed about 5fps while playing most things so I just gave up on it.
I made this!
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Just WoW through Burning Crusade and Wrath. Those were sort of when WoW gots to it's player peak. Sometime during Wrath I think.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Age of Conan Unchained. Was free on steam, put in a lot of hours for some reason, not great by any means but is set in Hyboria.
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

I tried Ashron’s Call but after playing on the Everquest PvP Server Vallon Zek Race War server, and having 120 person raids that sometimes lasted 14+ hours, it failed to capture me like EQ did. The community and the expansions kept you playing. When I finally stopped playing in 2004, the log said I had 375 days, 17 hours and 42 minutes played..it was an enormously large and complex game you had to play religiously to be relevant in the pvp, which was epic. Also, in 1999, you could farm fungi cloaks with 6 people, sell the drop on EBAY for about $600..
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

BuDG123 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:30 pm I tried Ashron’s Call but after playing on the Everquest PvP Server Vallon Zek Race War server, and having 120 person raids that sometimes lasted 14+ hours, it failed to capture me like EQ did. The community and the expansions kept you playing. When I finally stopped playing in 2004, the log said I had 375 days, 17 hours and 42 minutes played..it was an enormously large and complex game you had to play religiously to be relevant in the pvp, which was epic. Also, in 1999, you could farm fungi cloaks with 6 people, sell the drop on EBAY for about $600..
What's a raid? I never understood that term within these other MMO's. Dungeon crawl?

AC was a more mechanical game with slight quick twitch mechanics, it had collision physics, the arrow or spell would have to hit the player, which made it fun for 1:1 PvP though I rarely participated. The content though already really good with large month updates, really took off post 2005.
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

Yeah, the old school EQ was more about line of sight and distance control than quick twitch. It took coordinated group support dynamics, healers, tanks, spa, buffing and debuffing classes to take down big boss mobs after dungeon crawls. WoW does some of this, but not on the scale EQ did. I think the best PvP with quick twitch and collision mechanics I played in an mmo was probably Darkfall, which was also full loot.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

BuDG123 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:01 am Yeah, the old school EQ was more about line of sight and distance control than quick twitch. It took coordinated group support dynamics, healers, tanks, spa, buffing and debuffing classes to take down big boss mobs after dungeon crawls. WoW does some of this, but not on the scale EQ did. I think the best PvP with quick twitch and collision mechanics I played in an mmo was probably Darkfall, which was also full loot.
Darkfall was considered a spiritual successor to AC by many.
salamander

Post by salamander »

I tried EverQuest and couldn't get into it. Then tried WoW and had a terrible guild experience with it. Put down MMO's after that. I Did pick up FF14 last year though and I really love it. So much to do and I'm an FC (Guild) officer now for my guild that's based around teaching beginner players.

For my FC, I do a lot of social events like Bingo nights, Human Lawn Darts, Campfire Chats and stuff. All with prizes. Having a lot of fun with it. Some of the more experienced FC officers do raiding schools and stuff.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

salamander wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:04 pm I tried EverQuest and couldn't get into it. Then tried WoW and had a terrible guild experience with it. Put down MMO's after that. I Did pick up FF14 last year though and I really love it. So much to do and I'm an FC (Guild) officer now for my guild that's based around teaching beginner players.

For my FC, I do a lot of social events like Bingo nights, Human Lawn Darts, Campfire Chats and stuff. All with prizes. Having a lot of fun with it. Some of the more experienced FC officers do raiding schools and stuff.
Yep, a good MMO is a blast, but need the time to invest. Lacking that kind of time nowadays. :irked:
salamander

Post by salamander »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:25 pm
salamander wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:04 pm I tried EverQuest and couldn't get into it. Then tried WoW and had a terrible guild experience with it. Put down MMO's after that. I Did pick up FF14 last year though and I really love it. So much to do and I'm an FC (Guild) officer now for my guild that's based around teaching beginner players.

Yep, a good MMO is a blast, but need the time to invest. Lacking that kind of time nowadays. :irked:
I wish I had gotten into them earlier. Never thought it would be this fun. Sadly these days I have way too much time.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.