Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

RIP Brad Maxwell

A place to discuss the MN Wild
weimy froob

RIP Brad Maxwell

Post by weimy froob »

Former North Stars standout defenseman Brad Maxwell dies at 66
Maxwell played with the North Stars for nine of his 10 NHL seasons, with career highs of 19 goals and 54 assists for the Stars in 1983-84, his lone All-Star season.

Former North Stars defenseman Brad Maxwell battled former Blackhawks forward Denis Cyr in a Stadium Series Alumni game at TCF Bank Stadium in 2016. Maxwell died of lung cancer Sunday at age 66.

Brad Maxwell, a former standout defenseman for the North Stars for nine of his 10 NHL seasons, died Sunday from an aggressive form of lung cancer. He was 66.

Maxwell was the seventh overall pick by the North Stars in the 1977 NHL draft and joined the team later that year at age 20. He produced 98 goals and 270 assists in his NHL career, which also included brief stints with Quebec, Toronto, the New York Rangers and Vancouver, and had career highs of 19 goals and 54 assists for the North Stars in 1983-84, his lone All-Star season.
Hornets

Re: RIP Brad Maxwell

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:08 am Former North Stars standout defenseman Brad Maxwell dies at 66
Maxwell played with the North Stars for nine of his 10 NHL seasons, with career highs of 19 goals and 54 assists for the Stars in 1983-84, his lone All-Star season.

Former North Stars defenseman Brad Maxwell battled former Blackhawks forward Denis Cyr in a Stadium Series Alumni game at TCF Bank Stadium in 2016. Maxwell died of lung cancer Sunday at age 66.

Brad Maxwell, a former standout defenseman for the North Stars for nine of his 10 NHL seasons, died Sunday from an aggressive form of lung cancer. He was 66.

Maxwell was the seventh overall pick by the North Stars in the 1977 NHL draft and joined the team later that year at age 20. He produced 98 goals and 270 assists in his NHL career, which also included brief stints with Quebec, Toronto, the New York Rangers and Vancouver, and had career highs of 19 goals and 54 assists for the North Stars in 1983-84, his lone All-Star season.

"Maxie: was one of my favorite players back in the day. Guy had a bullet of a shot and could throw it down with the toughest guys as he had a wicked left hand punch.

Oh, and not to nitpick Weimy, but that is not Brad Maxwell in your picture!!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

you sure about that? even though it looks like tom brady it's a pic from an old timer's game in 2016 and the strib article said it was him.
Spoiler:
here's the other pic i was going to post. from his playing days.

Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:12 am you sure about that? even though it looks like tom brady it's a pic from an old timer's game in 2016 and the strib article said it was him.
Spoiler:
here's the other pic i was going to post. from his playing days.

I figured you got that from another source. Couple things....Maxie was a right handed shot so right there I knew it wasn't him. Also, I'm quite familiar with how he looked and knew that wasn't him. Finally, I deep dived into that 2016 game and watched the pregame lineup festivities....Brad Bombadier, a former Wild player was also wearing Maxie's #5 that game and he's a left handed shot, plus the helmet in your picture lined up with the helmet in the player intro's! Shame on the Star Trib for making that mistake...I'm sure the Maxwell family is NOT amused.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

you know your north stars defensemen. you should send the strib a note scolding them.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:20 pm you know your north stars defensemen. you should send the strib a note scolding them.
Somebody beat me to it! Here's what now is at the end of the article..."Correction: An incorrect photo appeared with a previous version of this story."
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Big shot, potent left hook made Brad Maxwell a North Star to remember

The Minnesota Fighting Saints folded for the second time on Jan. 20, 1977. This put Glen Sonmor back in the job market and he was hired to be general manager and coach of the Birmingham Bulls, preparing to play a second season in the World Hockey Association.

The 1977 NHL draft was held on June 14 and the North Stars took defenseman Brad Maxwell at No. 7 in the first round. Two days later, the WHA draft was held, and the Bulls selected Maxwell at No. 12, the top of the second round.

John Bassett, the high-voltage owner of the Bulls, was quick to make a generous offer, and Maxwell got on a flight from Canada to Birmingham to sign the deal.

Legend has it, Bassett had a band, civic leaders and Miss Alabama waiting for Maxwell to disembark in Birmingham.

Except the North Stars, running low on funds then but not willing to suffer this embarrassment, flew team staff to Chicago, waited for Maxwell and his companions to switch planes and matched (or surpassed) the Bulls' offer.

Which meant, rather than coaching Maxwell in the Bulls' final season of existence in 1977-78, Sonmor would wind up coaching Maxwell from early in the 1978-79 season and for several years to follow with the North Stars.

A good time was had by all there at Met Center, with Sonmor's fiery coaching, and Maxwell's fiery two-way play, and so many standouts — Dino Ciccarelli, Bobby Smith, Neal Broten, Craig Hartsburg, Tim Young, Tommy McCarthy, Steve Payne, Al MacAdam, Gordie Roberts, Steady Freddie Barrett, Curt Giles, Gilles Meloche, Donnie Beaupre …

https://www.startribune.com/brad-maxwel ... 600302267/
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

I still have a signed Brad Maxwell glossy photo from my ute.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
Rimfire

Post by Rimfire »

I ran into Brad several times at Grays Bay Dam boat landing on Lake Minnetonka during the 80's. Just a regular guy that like to fish, he always had time to talk to us kids. He was my favorite North Star during his tenure with the team.