Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2024 Looks Like a Great Year for the Vikings to Draft a Quarterback

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
mlhouse

Re: 2024 Looks Like a Great Year for the Vikings to Draft a Quarterback

Post by mlhouse »

minnemike wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:06 am

I do think Penix would be the fall back plan. I dont see them waiting until next year, unless they somehow get sniped so badly in multiple spots.
I have softened on my position on passing on Penix a bit. Zero chance I want to take him at 11 and I really don't want to take him at 23.

But, there could be a scenario in which the Vikings get shut out on the top 4 quarterbacks. Teams at picks 1 - 6 say no chance, we want our picks, and boom all of them are gone or an equivalent situation in which the asking price of the trade is simply too fn much. #11, #23, 2025 first, 2026 first and second, 2027 first (once the draft starts these picks can be traded). But that might be the asking price in this crazy draft cycle.

I like Turner, Verse and Latu, and Arnold and Mitchell, but not sure if any of them are true game changers, at 11.

Although some vehemently disagree, I could see selecting one of the offensive tackles at 11 if we really like them, start them out in their rookie season at LG, and then move him to RT in year 2, releasing O'Neill and freeing $15 million in cap space and saving $18 million in real salary.

Those are the 11 options.

At 23 I would consider Penix, but I would really prefer to draft him in the 2nd. I hate how Penix throws the football and that arm angle is not typically a successful NFL throwing platform, and it is a very difficult mechanical problem to correct at the NFL level.

But, one reason my position softened is Penix's pro day measurables. Way better than I assumed because he really was slow footed during games. My comp on this is Philip Rivers with his unorthodox delivery. But, 9 out of 10 of these types fail in the NFL. If we do not draft a QB at the top, while I think his results are a bit overrated, he can somehow throw the football in most situations. Maybe you consider him, but.... idk.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Small Hands wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:52 am
minnemike wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:59 am
Small Hands wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:11 am

It would indeed, but I think it’s a very good possibility. Pretty risky for a GM to draft a guy that high on a hunch. GMs get fired way quicker than they used to, so drafting a guy with no extensive film on him, is pretty risky. I think McCarthy is a great option for a team that can let him sit and continue to develop behind a good veteran QB. Like what GB did with Love. Then I could see that kid being special. Dump him on the Vikings with a bad OLine and I think he could crash and burn pretty quickly.
I think they have higher hopes for Darnold than most around here have. So I wouldnt be in shock if they sat their draft pick QB for the first year no matter who it is, unless of course Darnold is a complete dumpster fire. But I also think they even tolerate him being pretty bad for this year as they continue to retool and prep for 2025 with possibly a better draft spot. I dont think they went out and got him for 10mil just to assume he will be completely horrible.
Oh 100%. I think Darnold is the day one starter, but I think whichever rookie will be thrust in there by mid season. Darnold sees ghosts out there. I’m concerned McCarthy isn’t ready to run a NFL offense with a bunch of grown ass men and gain their respect by putting the team on his back at times. There is no evidence that he can. Don’t give me, his interviews. I’ve interviewed a lot of people in my day that could talk a great game, but was worthless when it was time to nut up.
The dumbest thing this team can do is put the guy on the field too early if Darnold stinks. This year the team isn’t going anywhere and it’s been that way for awhile. I’m hoping the new guy doesn’t see the field at all this year.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
D_H

Post by D_H »

The Minnesota Vikings are taking an extra look at Washington quarterback prospect Michael Penix Jr. after his impressive pro day last week.

“Things are heating up for Washington QB Michael Penix Jr: Sources say he had dinner with the #Giants in Seattle after his Pro Day, followed by a private workout with the #Vikings in Seattle,” Bleacher Report insider Jordan Schultz reported on April 1.

While Penix’s arm talent as a pocket passer is well-documented and scouted, the 23-year-old stunned the draft world with an impressive sub-4.6-second time in the 40-yard dash.

I would actually stay at 11 and draft Penix - the difference between him , and the other top quarterbacks - Williams, Daniels, Maye, is probably not that substantial. It’s not worth giving up probably a top 10 pick next year to get one of those guys.
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:18 pm
Señor Trumpo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:49 pm
It was said by KOC within the last two weeks that he was going to offload more of his offensive work load to the OC so that him and McCown could spend more time developing the QB room.
IF I ran a team and the head coach said this, I would have a talk to change his mind. If that didn't, I would fire him. The head coach is in charge of the whole team, not the developmental QB. If McCown is going to be in this role, and for argument's sake I will agree with it, then he isn't truly the QB coach.
"O'Connell has already initiated a few structural changes on his coaching staff to give himself more time to develop the quarterback he hopes to draft. And if they can't find a complicit team to trade with, they will still have the flexibility of the No. 23 overall pick to work with. That's the world they're living in, for at least the rest of this month."
Source https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/398 ... en-daniels
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:16 am
Señor Trumpo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:49 pm
It was said by KOC within the last two weeks that he was going to offload more of his offensive work load to the OC so that him and McCown could spend more time developing the QB room.
IF I ran a team and the head coach said this, I would have a talk to change his mind. If that didn't, I would fire him. The head coach is in charge of the whole team, not the developmental QB. If McCown is going to be in this role, and for argument's sake I will agree with it, then he isn't truly the QB coach.
"O'Connell has already initiated a few structural changes on his coaching staff to give himself more time to develop the quarterback he hopes to draft. And if they can't find a complicit team to trade with, they will still have the flexibility of the No. 23 overall pick to work with. That's the world they're living in, for at least the rest of this month."
That is not OConnell's job as the head coach. He has subordinates that he should delegate that role to under his supervision.
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:20 am

That is not OConnell's job as the head coach. He has subordinates that he should delegate that role to under his supervision.
If he is the QB whisperer that everyone is saying that he is, I have no problem with him being the one that develops the QB. Ultimately it's his ass if the QB doesn't pan out.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

He has said he hired more coaches so he personally could work with the quarterbacks. I get Zimmer vibes a little and wish these guys were more big picture, but it sounds like he feels his talents are best spent developing his quarterbacks.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:22 pm
If he is the QB whisperer that everyone is saying that he is, I have no problem with him being the one that develops the QB. Ultimately it's his ass if the QB doesn't pan out.
Then he should have stayed a QB coach. The head coach runs and prepares the entire team to play effectively and win football games, not coach up the finer footwork mechanics of the rookie 3rd string QB even if he is the future of the franchise. HE DELEGATES THIS.

Like I said, I would bring in one of the podcast guys like JT OSUllivan or Chase Daniels to work directly with McCarthy and perhaps even Jalen Hall. These guys are similar to Kevin professionally (but actually more successful) and bounced from team to team. Kevin was cut by 5 NFL teams. JT OSullivan was signed and released by 11 teams. Chase 7. But they also had a wide exposure to NFL offensive systems that they can teach young quarterbacks.

Maybe with moving O'Hara from QB coach to "passing game coordinator" and bringing Josh McCown (released by 11 NFL teams) as QB coach that is the structure of the coaching staff. But normally the QB coach works with the starter to get them ready for the game plan for the upcoming game.
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

This has to be a negotiation ploy. There is no way that Kwesi/KOC is not to select a QB this year.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Get me Jayden Daniels!

Let's get Tropical
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

I will take Jayden Daniels in a heartbreak and without any questions
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

cdr2529 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:49 pm I will take Jayden Daniels in a heartbreak and without any questions
As will NE. The only trade scenario with NE is if Washington takes Daniels.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:56 pm
cdr2529 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:49 pm I will take Jayden Daniels in a heartbreak and without any questions
As will NE. The only trade scenario with NE is if Washington takes Daniels.
Zierlein mock draft 3.0

1. Chicago - Williams
2. WA - Daniels
3. NY Giants - Maye
4. MN Vikings - JJ McCarthy Vikings give up #11 and #23 to move to #4
5. Chargers - MHJ

https://www.nfl.com/news/lance-zierlein ... -to-chiefs
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:20 pm
This has to be a negotiation ploy. There is no way that Kwesi/KOC is not to select a QB this year.
Maybe they are looking at the reality of not being able to move up. I don't know.

It sure looked like they had something preplanned when they made the move to get #23 in the draft BEFORE the draft started. Usually you make that move only if the draft falls in a way that player is special.

But sometimes you never know what these guys are thinking.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:50 am

I do think Penix would be the fall back plan. I dont see them waiting until next year, unless they somehow get sniped so badly in multiple spots.
I have softened on my position on passing on Penix a bit. Zero chance I want to take him at 11 and I really don't want to take him at 23.

But, there could be a scenario in which the Vikings get shut out on the top 4 quarterbacks. Teams at picks 1 - 6 say no chance, we want our picks, and boom all of them are gone or an equivalent situation in which the asking price of the trade is simply too fn much. #11, #23, 2025 first, 2026 first and second, 2027 first (once the draft starts these picks can be traded). But that might be the asking price in this crazy draft cycle.

I like Turner, Verse and Latu, and Arnold and Mitchell, but not sure if any of them are true game changers, at 11.

Although some vehemently disagree, I could see selecting one of the offensive tackles at 11 if we really like them, start them out in their rookie season at LG, and then move him to RT in year 2, releasing O'Neill and freeing $15 million in cap space and saving $18 million in real salary.

At 23 I would consider Penix, but I would really prefer to draft him in the 2nd. I hate how Penix throws the football and that arm angle is not typically a successful NFL throwing platform, and it is a very difficult mechanical problem to correct at the NFL level.

But, one reason my position softened is Penix's pro day measurables. Way better than I assumed because he really was slow footed during games. My comp on this is Philip Rivers with his unorthodox delivery. But, 9 out of 10 of these types fail in the NFL. If we do not draft a QB at the top, while I think his results are a bit overrated, he can somehow throw the football in most situations. Maybe you consider him, but.... idk.
way too much compensation you're proposing to move up. i'd very much doubt they'd do something like that. i'd go to 4 or 5 for the firsts this year and maybe a day two pick next year. if they were going to hold tight and take another player at 11 and looking to take a QB at 23 or thereabouts i'd take nix over penix. i can't get past the injury history and remembering that he got hurt in the championship game too.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:44 pm

way too much compensation you're proposing to move up. i'd very much doubt they'd do something like that. i'd go to 4 or 5 for the firsts this year and maybe a day two pick next year. if they were going to hold tight and take another player at 11 and looking to take a QB at 23 or thereabouts i'd take nix over penix. i can't get past the injury history and remembering that he got hurt in the championship game too.
Thats my point. What if the asking price to move up to #4 is 11, 23, 2025 first, 2026 first, 2027 first......
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:54 pm

Thats my point. What if the asking price to move up to #4 is 11, 23, 2025 first, 2026 first, 2027 first......
too steep. not going to be that much. that said, it'd be worth it if you got your starting QB for the next 10 plus years.
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

NFL rules will not allow them to trade the 2027 1st. The most you can do is 3 years so 2024-2026.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:02 pm

NFL rules will not allow them to trade the 2027 1st. The most you can do is 3 years so 2024-2026.
Once the draft starts, a subsequent year of draft assets can be traded. Before the draft, only up to 2026 picks can be traded. Once the draft commences, 2027 picks can be traded. I was just trying to make the most insane trade up request possible to demonstrate what happens if that is the price to move up? I want Marvin Harrison Jr Jr at #4, he aint gonna be available at 11, but if you give me 11, 23, 2025 first, 2026 first, 2027 first I will do it..... could be the situation.

If you are the Giants at #6 and can take a QB to replace Jones withouth trading up, what do you want for your pick? LOTS.
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:16 pm

Once the draft starts, a subsequent year of draft assets can be traded. Before the draft, only up to 2026 picks can be traded. Once the draft commences, 2027 picks can be traded. I was just trying to make the most insane trade up request possible to demonstrate what happens if that is the price to move up? I want Marvin Harrison Jr Jr at #4, he aint gonna be available at 11, but if you give me 11, 23, 2025 first, 2026 first, 2027 first I will do it..... could be the situation.

If you are the Giants at #6 and can take a QB to replace Jones withouth trading up, what do you want for your pick? LOTS.
Got it. Thanks for the clarification. My guess is that the talks are about 2 vs 3 first round picks. If they had to give up 3 #1's, I'd prefer it to be both this year and a 1 in 2026. That way when they suck in 2024 they keep their top 12 pick.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i call the cardinals bluff if they're asking for the moon. i think they want harrison. if they take him then i'd make the trade with the chargers.

this is high stakes poker/chicken. it'd sting if the giants got to four--but you can't give up four #1s to move up seven spots.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm
mlhouse wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:16 pm

Got it. Thanks for the clarification. My guess is that the talks are about 2 vs 3 first round picks. If they had to give up 3 #1's, I'd prefer it to be both this year and a 1 in 2026. That way when they suck in 2024 they keep their top 12 pick.
In our Froob draft that is the trade I made. 11, 23, and 2026 first (nets to 11, 2024 2nd, 2025 2nd, and 2026 first). That means we can draft a rookie QB and have a high level draft asset the following year to improve the team.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:02 pm
Señor Trumpo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:22 pm

Then he should have stayed a QB coach. The head coach runs and prepares the entire team to play effectively and win football games, not coach up the finer footwork mechanics of the rookie 3rd string QB even if he is the future of the franchise. HE DELEGATES THIS.

Like I said, I would bring in one of the podcast guys like JT OSUllivan or Chase Daniels to work directly with McCarthy and perhaps even Jalen Hall. These guys are similar to Kevin professionally (but actually more successful) and bounced from team to team. Kevin was cut by 5 NFL teams. JT OSullivan was signed and released by 11 teams. Chase 7. But they also had a wide exposure to NFL offensive systems that they can teach young quarterbacks.

Maybe with moving O'Hara from QB coach to "passing game coordinator" and bringing Josh McCown (released by 11 NFL teams) as QB coach that is the structure of the coaching staff. But normally the QB coach works with the starter to get them ready for the game plan for the upcoming game.
You'd have to find a way to make that job attractive though, and make it one that someone can make a career out of.
When I think of "QB Coach," I think of a shit job. I think of long hours, lots of work, moving from team to team often, shit pay, and having 3 bosses looking over you routinely.
The only reason you would put up with that is because you would want to eventually become a HC.

What O'Sullivan, Sloter, Warner, Daniels and others are doing though, is completely different.
They've built a brand entirely on their own, a brand which they own (O'Sullivan/Sloter at least), they can work however long they want to work, they don't have bosses looking over their shoulder, they're the star and they can do this for as long as they are relevant.

Why would they give that up to take a shitty QB coach job, when its very likely they have no interest to go into coaching?
Obviously if you throw enough money and perks their way they may listen, but then you have to match that proportionally as well for every position above them, because you can't have the QB coach job be better than the OC.

I get what you're saying, but as of today, they are two completely different career paths.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Oriole81 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:38 pm

You'd have to find a way to make that job attractive though, and make it one that someone can make a career out of.
When I think of "QB Coach," I think of a shit job. I think of long hours, lots of work, moving from team to team often, shit pay, and having 3 bosses looking over you routinely.
The only reason you would put up with that is because you would want to eventually become a HC.

What O'Sullivan, Sloter, Warner, Daniels and others are doing though, is completely different.
They've built a brand entirely on their own, a brand which they own (O'Sullivan/Sloter at least), they can work however long they want to work, they don't have bosses looking over their shoulder, they're the star and they can do this for as long as they are relevant.

Why would they give that up to take a shitty QB coach job, when its very likely they have no interest to go into coaching?
Obviously if you throw enough money and perks their way they may listen, but then you have to match that proportionally as well for every position above them, because you can't have the QB coach job be better than the OC.

I get what you're saying, but as of today, they are two completely different career paths.
Money. I am sure being a NFL assistant coach is more lucrative than their current jobs.

Opportunity. If you develop that guy, you will have huge opportunities.

Advancement. If you established your bona fides you could become a NFL head coach.

And for a NFL coaching gig, this would be easy gig. You are not game planning, studying tape 22 hours a day. YOu have one or two guys you are responsible for.

And your comment on "matching" above, bullshit. In some ways, the OC on the Vikings is one of the lowest positon because KOC calls the plays.

Lastly, the suggestions I made are just guys I know of. THere would be many other candidates for such a position that do not have podcasts.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:36 pm i call the cardinals bluff if they're asking for the moon. i think they want harrison. if they take him then i'd make the trade with the chargers.

this is high stakes poker/chicken. it'd sting if the giants got to four--but you can't give up four #1s to move up seven spots.
And then the Giants move up two spots to #4 and take QB #4 as mocked in my last post.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

William Munny wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:57 pm
weimy froob wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:36 pm i call the cardinals bluff if they're asking for the moon. i think they want harrison. if they take him then i'd make the trade with the chargers.

And then the Giants move up two spots to #4 and take QB #4 as mocked in my last post.
what are they giving up to get to 4?
witljon

Post by witljon »

Like the Patriots trading their pick, people keep bringing up the Giants drafting a QB, but I have my doubts. I’m betting the Patriots stay at 3 and draft their franchise QB. And I think the Giants draft offensive help for Daniel Jones.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:21 pm

what are they giving up to get to 4?
They could give up their 2nd round pick and move to #4.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

witljon wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:41 pm

Like the Patriots trading their pick, people keep bringing up the Giants drafting a QB, but I have my doubts. I’m betting the Patriots stay at 3 and draft their franchise QB. And I think the Giants draft offensive help for Daniel Jones.
You may end up being correct.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!