Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2024 Looks Like a Great Year for the Vikings to Draft a Quarterback

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Re: 2024 Looks Like a Great Year for the Vikings to Draft a Quarterback

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 pm
But I thought they loved JJ… and Maye… and Nix…. Annnd Penix

I think it’s safe to say we should all take a breather on who they want. I do however have an insider scoop on this and brought it up a month ago. A Vikings coordinator told someone I trust that they love Maye and are going to do anything they can to get him. If the report that there is one coveted is true, my money is on him.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:32 pm

I think it’s safe to say we should all take a breather on who they want. I do however have an insider scoop on this and brought it up a month ago. A Vikings coordinator told someone I trust that they love Maye and are going to do anything they can to get him. If the report that there is one coveted is true, my money is on him.
Seems like everyone assumed WAS would pick him.... but since new word has come out that they are also up for a trade, things change.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

minnemike wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 pm

Seems like everyone assumed WAS would pick him.... but since new word has come out that they are also up for a trade, things change.
I think Wash is just posturing.
They're a team like Hou that could immediately pop up if they hit on the rookie QB.
Just find your guy and don't fuck around.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 pm
minnemike wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 pm

I think Wash is just posturing.
They're a team like Hou that could immediately pop up if they hit on the rookie QB.
Just find your guy and don't fuck around.
Well, fuck those guys! They just made everyone go to his pro day and schedule visits! :lol: :lol:
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

cunningham wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:46 pm
Where are we in our competitive rebuild?

Seems like teams take quarterbacks and then build around them. It is hard to time it properly though. The Pats took Mac Jones after Brady and tried to time it. Another pick does seem early, but the free agents are crap as well.

Part of the issue is that teams are doing a poor job of grooming quarterbacks. The game is so difficult today for quarterbacks. Then injuries on top of everything.

Vikings having Hall, Darnold, and a rookie first rounder would be a nice quarterback room.

A lot of the failure in quarterbacks today falls on coaches and the NFL teams firing guys too quickly. The coaches move around too much and can’t build a competitive team.
I agree. But the owners are the ones who are to blame. Mostly. Teams can't afford to rebuild the old fashion way. Fans want instant results as do the owners. Timing is all GM's and coaches can hope for. Lets say a team like Detroit suck for years, then a good GM (A) comes in, hires a new staff and they use draft picks wisely. It could take said players 2-3 years of sucking before they actually pan out. Then Owners fire them, replace with another GM (B) and that GM has seasoned players and great draft picks. Now if that staff picks good, then they will take credit for getting that team in PO position. Timing is probably the reason our staff is in good position to not have to rebuild. But if they trade Jefferson, all bets are off.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Penix with a 36.5 vertical jump and a 4.46 40 time today. Wasn't expecting that.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 pm Penix with a 36.5 vertical jump and a 4.46 40 time today. Wasn't expecting that.
He’s a better athlete than he’s shown.

Dude is an absolute stud prospect. There are concerns, but none of them are ability or talent.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm
Hoop Dreams wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 pm Penix with a 36.5 vertical jump and a 4.46 40 time today. Wasn't expecting that.

Dude is an absolute stud prospect. There are concerns, but none of them are ability or talent.
His throwing motion is broke as fuck. I don’t trust Lefties
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

I don't think anyone is against Penix as a potential draftee QB. Its just that there are 4 better options to most teams.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Who is your top guy of tier #2 if the big 3 are gone?
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

what about only for masturbatory purposes?
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 pm

Who is your top guy of tier #2 if the big 3 are gone?
I would pick penix or Nix before McCarthy to be honest I wouldn’t drafted McCarthy at all
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

I’m perfectly fine trading up for Maye, McCarthy, or Daniels. I’d be very disappointed if they settled for Nix or Penix.
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 pm
Small Hands wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

what about only for masturbatory purposes?
I’m left handed and I yerk with the left also. I could arouse myself just fine with my right hand but getting to “Completion” well, that’s not that simple.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Beetlejuice wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 pm

I’m perfectly fine trading up for Maye, McCarthy, or Daniels. I’d be very disappointed if they settled for Nix or Penix.
My feelings on this have as much to do with what KOC is capable of vs what the individual QBs are.
If KOC is supposed to be a special offensive/QB mind, then I feel he should be able to be "successful" with his choice of Penix or Nix.

But if we're trading up serious capital for one of the others, then KOC should be expected to make that guy into a LEGIT franchise QB and TBH, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for damn near Rivers/Ryan level productivity, meaning damn near HOF level results.

Otherwise, what are we doing here?
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

My feelings on this have as much to do with what KOC is capable of vs what the individual QBs are.
If KOC is supposed to be a special offensive/QB mind, then I feel he should be able to be "successful" with his choice of Penix or Nix.

But if we're trading up serious capital for one of the others, then KOC should be expected to make that guy into a LEGIT franchise QB and TBH, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for damn near Rivers/Ryan level productivity, meaning damn near HOF level results.

This is fact. If they fuck this up they will be gone.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

I agree on the top three you mentioned. I would be ok with Penix if he KOC could actually mold him to fit the system. I think that Nix is not going to be a higher ceiling guy, so would be better elsewhere.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Williams
Maye
Daniels

McCarthy
Penix

Nix

Rattler

The rest of the scrubs

- Isaac Asimov
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 pm Williams
Maye
Daniels

McCarthy
Penix

Nix

Rattler

The rest of the scrubs
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

Agreed. And if you get HoF or near production, it’s worth 3 firsts to get it.

Kirk Cousins was “successful” by many standards. Getting better than that should be the goal. If we can get Penix or Nix to Cousins-level success, there will be a short-term benefit while he’s cheap, but as soon as we have to pay him, it’s treading water.

This franchise has never taken a bold swing up to the top. I’d like to try that. Obviously, you don’t do it just to do it. You have to believe in the guy. But if they believe in a guy, I’m comfortable with them doing what it takes to get him.

It will either hit and we’ll usher in an era of sustained success most of us have never seen or he’ll miss and Kwesi and O’Connell will be fired. And if that happens and we’re talent poor because of the trade up and miss, we trade Justin Jefferson for a haul to jump start the rebuild in 2027 or so.

- Isaac Asimov
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

So what if the cost to move-up to #3 is four 1st round picks? Would you do it?
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

William Munny wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 pm So what if the cost to move-up to #3 is four 1st round picks? Would you do it?
It shouldn’t be that much. But if I really thought the guy was the next superstar, yes.

I don’t have enough info to make that call. I’m a Froob.

But how many first round picks do think it would take to get Mahomes from KC or Burrow from Cincy or Stroud from Houston or Herbert from LAC?

You’d be lucky to get any of them for 4.

Vikings have spent 66 first round picks in their history and had one franchise quarterback. 8-)

- Isaac Asimov
D_H

Post by D_H »

Just as I thought all the McCarthy hype is coming from his camp, NFL people don’t buy it. Lolololo

Before the national championship game, JJ McCarthy was considered a second round pic. He played bad that game, and all of the sudden his stock went up. Lol riiiiiiiiight! Lol little newsflash for people - it didn’t go up in the eyes of NFL people. The hype machine from his camp was in full force.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-draft-is-p ... 16866.html

One longtime evaluator chuckled when I asked about McCarthy’s projection at No. 2 overall and shot back: “Harbaugh didn’t say he was the No. 2 quarterback. He said he was the No. 1 quarterback.” Another longtime evaluator noted, “Jim needs everything but a quarterback. So every quarterback that gets taken before [the fifth pick] is a win for him.”

While nobody suggested that Harbaugh is the source of the supposed Commanders interest at No. 2 overall, some evaluators came close.

“There definitely could be a little bit of an ulterior motive to get someone pushed to him, for sure. That would be a Harbaugh type move,” one evaluator said. “There’s a plan there, I would say. Because they’re sitting there like, all right, if top four are QBs, we get our pick of whatever the hell we want. They’re probably in the best position of any team up there, because now the first four probably are going to be quarterbacks.”
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 pm
William Munny wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 pm So what if the cost to move-up to #3 is four 1st round picks? Would you do it?
It shouldn’t be that much. But if I really thought the guy was the next superstar, yes.

But how many first round picks do think it would take to get Mahomes from KC or Burrow from Cincy or Stroud from Houston or Herbert from LAC?

Vikings have spent 66 first round picks in their history and had one franchise quarterback. 8-)
Yeah, I would agree. It should not cost that much, but if you have other teams, such as the Broncos trying to move up as well, the price could be damn high.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

William Munny wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 pm

Yeah, I would agree. It should not cost that much, but if you have other teams, such as the Broncos trying to move up as well, the price could be damn high.
Broncos have less ammo than we do.

- Isaac Asimov
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 pm

Draft picks, sure. What if they offer CB Patrick Surtain II in addition to #12 plus more?
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

William Munny wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 pm

Draft picks, sure. What if they offer CB Patrick Surtain II in addition to #12 plus more?
What if we offer WR Jordan Addison in addition to 11 and maybe 23 or something else?

Surtain is also due a massive payday. He’s worth it, but that reduces his market value vs cheap guys on rookie deals.

- Isaac Asimov
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 pm

What if we offer WR Jordan Addison in addition to 11 and maybe 23 or something else?

Surtain is also due a massive payday. He’s worth it, but that reduces his market value vs cheap guys on rookie deals.
True.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 pm

Fuck that. I’m not dealing Addison.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master