Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2024 Looks Like a Great Year for the Vikings to Draft a Quarterback

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Beef Supreme

Re: 2024 Looks Like a Great Year for the Vikings to Draft a Quarterback

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sellingguy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:16 am Im sticking with my prediction that caleb is a bust. Yes the kid is good. But there is just something about him that tells me he will create drama, esp if things don't go his way.

Now while i dont tend to follow this shit too close, the vikes seemed to be set to either shock the world or do something dumb. And the shock the world could be something dumb.
Chicago is in a good situation right now for a rookie QB. Their OL and defense are both improved over when Fields got there and his targets, Keenan Allen and DJ Moore, are light years better than the bums Fields started with.

If Williams is to bust, it’s going to be because Eberflus (HC), Waldron (OC), and Joseph (QB coach) don’t get it done. Eberflus is a defensive guy. Waldron and Joseph were in Seattle and helped salvage Geno Smith’s career.

Or maybe there just something about Chicago. IDK…

And while I don’t think Williams has any massive character concerns, he does strike me as the most likely of the top guys to refer to himself in the third person. Maybe some ego thing blows up. Who knows? You’ve got to be humble to make the jump, even if you’re as gifted as Caleb Williams. You never know and that’s what makes it fun.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Sellingguy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:16 am Im sticking with my prediction that caleb is a bust. Yes the kid is good. But there is just something about him that tells me he will create drama, esp if things don't go his way.

Now while i dont tend to follow this shit too close, the vikes seemed to be set to either shock the world or do something dumb. And the shock the world could be something dumb.
I agree that Williams seems to be a head case.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

It is now time, or perhaps past time, to stop trying to figure this out. Turn your brain off. Enjoy the ride. All will be revealed in a month.

- Isaac Asimov
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:58 pm It is now time, or perhaps past time, to stop trying to figure this out. Turn your brain off. Enjoy the ride. All will be revealed in a month.

I do actually hope this happens and I think JJ has a real shot to be a good QB in the right situation. at the very least it will shut up the majority of the crybabies on here if they trade big for Maye/Daniels instead of JJ.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

minnemike wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:07 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:58 pm It is now time, or perhaps past time, to stop trying to figure this out. Turn your brain off. Enjoy the ride. All will be revealed in a month.

I do actually hope this happens and I think JJ has a real shot to be a good QB in the right situation. at the very least it will shut up the majority of the crybabies on here if they trade big for Maye instead of JJ.
If this were true, it would be:

1 - Chi: Williams
2 - Wash: McCarthy
3 - NE: Daniels
4 - Vikes (trade up): Maye

If Arizona is in love with MHJ, it’s possible they take him and we move on 5 with the Chargers.

Who knows at this point. I’m convinced we’re drafting a QB in the top-5. Beyond that, I don’t know.

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

O’Connell making preparations for the rookie… whoever that may (Maye) be…

- Isaac Asimov
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

Double trade theory that Graziano is chirping about…

The Vikings send Nos. 11 and 23 for No. 5 [Chargers] — then send No. 5 and a 2025 first-round pick to the Patriots for No. 3.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

minnemike wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:12 pm Double trade theory that Graziano is chirping about…

The Vikings send Nos. 11 and 23 for No. 5 [Chargers] — then send No. 5 and a 2025 first-round pick to the Patriots for No. 3.
This would be if NE wants QB4.

It would spark a lot of interest in the careers of QB3 and 4 as time goes by. Was QB3 worth the extra pick? Was QB4 + the pick a better value?

- Isaac Asimov
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

minnemike wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:12 pm Double trade theory that Graziano is chirping about…

I think that is a low percentage trade scenario. I think the Vikings do a one team trade to get to #3 or #4. I am currently leaning towards #3. Gonna take at least #11, #23 2025 1st round pick and likely another 3rd round pick in 2025 to get to #3.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Personally, I like the conspiracy theory that Harbaugh is pumping JJ up like crazy so that someone trades to 4 with Arizona to get him so that MHJ falls to the chargers at 5.

Herbert to Harrison for the next decade. Not bad…

- Isaac Asimov
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:48 pm Personally, I like the conspiracy theory that Harbaugh is pumping JJ up like crazy so that someone trades to 4 with Arizona to get him so that MHJ falls to the chargers at 5.

Could be part of it. I'm sure he likes JJ and wants to hype him.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

That would be amazing
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:48 pm Personally, I like the conspiracy theory that Harbaugh is pumping JJ up like crazy so that someone trades to 4 with Arizona to get him so that MHJ falls to the chargers at 5.

Of course that is what’s going on. Also, I’m sure you can find somewhere Drake Mayes HC thinks he’s the best QB in the draft. Coaches say this all the time. It’s a Jimbo comment though so everyone has to get a boner over it though. And yes, MHJ would be complete robbery there.

I ultimately think the price to move up with AZ is going to be too high. I think they are going to want a top 3 haul for the #4 pick and will end up selecting MHJ. Then someone will trade into #5 to take JJ.

The only question I really have is if one of the top 3 is going to end up moving.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
witljon

Post by witljon »

If Harbaugh actually believed what he’s saying about McCarthy, he’d want him on the Chargers.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

witljon wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:04 pm

If Harbaugh actually believed what he’s saying about McCarthy, he’d want him on the Chargers.
He'd have to move Herbert and financially, there's just no way to do that.

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

He would have took the Commanders job and drafted him.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
WayneVikes

Post by WayneVikes »

Any chance we flip Mullens for a future draft pick during or after the draft? He would in theory become QB3 here. Perhaps we could get a day 3 pick for him
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Isn’t it crazy how some of us asked for them to just go into a season and turn most of the guys over and take a year or two of lumps.

Here we are and absolutely nothing of any significance was accomplished, we are looking at possibly down season anyway and instead of just realizing we weren’t good enough, now we are looking to trade the farm to draft a QB.

Huh. Weird. Who would have thunk it? :shrug:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:05 pm

He'd have to move Herbert and financially, there's just no way to do that.
Yep. I heard it would require the Chargers absorbing somewhere around a $160 million dollar dead cap hit to trade Herbert.
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

Can anybody else figure out why this guy is an EX GM? :lol:
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Post by Da Gas Man's Ghost »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:24 am

Oh, I understand why he wants to get rid of Kyler but I love it when they just presume that another team wants their garbage so they can make room.
Pronouns: They/him/hers

Hopeful Member of the Crique.
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:28 am

Oh, I understand why he wants to get rid of Kyler but I love it when they just presume that another team wants their garbage so they can make room.
I agree. He is out of touch with reality if he thinks that the Vikings would be willing to part with #11 for a below average QB that would be a horrible fit in KOC's system. We just got rid of a QB that was making $35MM, why would we want another one whom isn't as accurate or reliable?
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:48 am
Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:28 am

I agree. He is out of touch with reality if he thinks that the Vikings would be willing to part with #11 for a below average QB that would be a horrible fit in KOC's system. We just got rid of a QB that was making $35MM, why would we want another one whom isn't as accurate or reliable?
He also hasnt made it thru a full season without injury since 2020... that isnt a good thing when your claim to fame is your mobility.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

minnemike wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:10 am

He also hasnt made it thru a full season without injury since 2020... that isnt a good thing when your claim to fame is your mobility.
It isn't just the fact of the injury potential, it is the apparent real impact of those injuries on his performance. AS the #1 draft pick he had a decent season for a rookie QB and improved in his 2nd in 2020. But the 2021 season was a real breakout year for him. He complete 69.2% of his passes with a 7.9 yards/attempt and the Cards went to 9-5 with him as the starter.

Then in 2022 he was injured but only had a 6.1 yards/attempt, and in his shortened 2023 season were he came back at the end of the season he only had 6.7 yards/attempt.

His contract is a mess, almost Russell Wilson like. His 2024 $37 million base is fully guaranteed. His 2025 $18 million base also guaranteed 3/17/24. In addition to the guaranteed money to be paid out, the Cardinals still have about $45 million of signing and option bonus money lingering on their cap.

The route to go is retain Murrey and draft Harrison Jr. and see if they can regenerate the passing game with hime and Trey McBride. THey have huge holes to fill on both sides of the ball so they are in tough shape, but they really don't have many alternatives.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:40 am
minnemike wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:10 am

It isn't just the fact of the injury potential, it is the apparent real impact of those injuries on his performance. AS the #1 draft pick he had a decent season for a rookie QB and improved in his 2nd in 2020. But the 2021 season was a real breakout year for him. He complete 69.2% of his passes with a 7.9 yards/attempt and the Cards went to 9-5 with him as the starter.

Then in 2022 he was injured but only had a 6.1 yards/attempt, and in his shortened 2023 season were he came back at the end of the season he only had 6.7 yards/attempt.

His contract is a mess, almost Russell Wilson like. His 2024 $37 million base is fully guaranteed. His 2025 $18 million base also guaranteed 3/17/24. In addition to the guaranteed money to be paid out, the Cardinals still have about $45 million of signing and option bonus money lingering on their cap.

The route to go is retain Murrey and draft Harrison Jr. and see if they can regenerate the passing game with hime and Trey McBride. THey have huge holes to fill on both sides of the ball so they are in tough shape, but they really don't have many alternatives.
Yes. To me this underscores a point:

Swinging and missing at the top of the draft of a quarterback is a big setback. But not as big as making a massive financial commitment to the wrong one.

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

It’s smokescreen season, so take everything with a grain of salt, but what’s the value of saying this if it’s not true. If you are sold on QB3, why float this out there? What’s the gain?

- Isaac Asimov
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:54 am

It’s smokescreen season, so take everything with a grain of salt, but what’s the value of saying this if it’s not true. If you are sold on QB3, why float this out there? What’s the gain?
I believe that NE is open to trade #3. They have a lot of holes to fill and could be ok with taking a couple of years to build the team and then go for a QB. Base-line trade to get #3, to me would be #11, #23, 2025 1st round pick and likely at least another 3rd round pick.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

Maybe because they are only sold on a couple QBs. OR, they will take whatever, but don't want to commit and just say, we are happy with whoever. They will want to say, yes! We got the guy we really wanted all along!
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

They are not sold on Maye. Our JJ talk and interest is probably smoke to NE. Make them believe we are good with JJ, but we have all these picks and want to move up.

Arizona or SD seem ready to trade down. We have the ammo.

Commanders might end up trading down and taking a different quarterback than Daniels.

I like trading up with next year’s #1 for a top 3, but not 4 and beyond. KOC could groom Darnold and Nix/Penix if he sees potential. JJ at 11 would be great, but I don’t think he gets to us there. Then you have to trade up a couple of spots. Is that worth the #23? Could we get a 2nd?