Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2024 Looks Like a Great Year for the Vikings to Draft a Quarterback

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
weimy froob

Re: 2024 Looks Like a Great Year for the Vikings to Draft a Quarterback

Post by weimy froob »

Vikings will keep Justin Jefferson involved in future plans at quarterback

Justin Jefferson remained consistent last season whenever anybody asked about Kirk Cousins. As much as he went out of his way to praise his quarterback every chance he got, Jefferson always stopped short of saying his future with the Vikings hinged on whether Cousins was still around.

Now that the Vikings have moved on from Cousins — or more accurately, Cousins has moved on from them — they are at a crossroads that could define the next decade for the franchise. They have to decide how aggressive they want to be in selecting a quarterback in the first round of the 2024 draft.

How exactly will the best player on the team factor into that decision? Asked that exact question at the NFL’s annual meeting, head coach Kevin O’Connell shed some light on how things could play out, noting that he wants Jefferson to feel like part of the process.

“It makes no sense for me to talk about the communication and the relationships I’ve built with all of our players and then not at least engage with our guys,” O’Connell said. “You don’t want them to feel like they’re not involved and they’re just showing up to whatever team we’ve put together.”

Though that doesn’t mean Jefferson will be the one making the decision, if the Vikings decide to pull the trigger on a quarterback next month, he likely won’t be surprised by the particular player who gets picked.

“I felt very strongly about keeping him informed,” O’Connell said. “He’s been in the loop.”

It’s unclear if the Vikings will be able to move up to the top of the draft for somebody like Jayden Daniels out of LSU, Drake Maye out of North Carolina or J.J. McCarthy out of Michigan. As of right now, journeyman Sam Darnold is set to be the starting quarterback after signing with the Vikings as a free agent this month.

Whoever is under center for the Vikings will have the luxury of Jefferson as his main target. That should make life easier on the offense regardless of who is throwing the ball.

“You watch Justin and he does things that other guys cannot do,” O’Connell said. “Whether it’s a short, an intermediate, or a long route, he has the ability to do things explosively at full speed with total control of every facet of his body as he goes to attack the ball in the air.”

The elephant in the room is the fact that Jefferson still hasn’t signed his contract extension. Not that there’s any reason to believe that it won’t get done at some point.

Let’s just say the Vikings understand how important Jefferson is and how important he will be if they decide to take a big swing in the draft.

“Nobody has had more success through the first four years of their career than Justin Jefferson at the receiver position,” O’Connell said. “That’s a fact. That’s not just my opinion. That can go a long way for a young quarterback to have a guy like that.”
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:02 am Vikings will keep Justin Jefferson involved in future plans at quarterback

Justin Jefferson remained consistent last season whenever anybody asked about Kirk Cousins. As much as he went out of his way to praise his quarterback every chance he got, Jefferson always stopped short of saying his future with the Vikings hinged on whether Cousins was still around.

Now that the Vikings have moved on from Cousins — or more accurately, Cousins has moved on from them — they are at a crossroads that could define the next decade for the franchise. They have to decide how aggressive they want to be in selecting a quarterback in the first round of the 2024 draft.

How exactly will the best player on the team factor into that decision? Asked that exact question at the NFL’s annual meeting, head coach Kevin O’Connell shed some light on how things could play out, noting that he wants Jefferson to feel like part of the process.

“It makes no sense for me to talk about the communication and the relationships I’ve built with all of our players and then not at least engage with our guys,” O’Connell said. “You don’t want them to feel like they’re not involved and they’re just showing up to whatever team we’ve put together.”

Though that doesn’t mean Jefferson will be the one making the decision, if the Vikings decide to pull the trigger on a quarterback next month, he likely won’t be surprised by the particular player who gets picked.

“I felt very strongly about keeping him informed,” O’Connell said. “He’s been in the loop.”

It’s unclear if the Vikings will be able to move up to the top of the draft for somebody like Jayden Daniels out of LSU, Drake Maye out of North Carolina or J.J. McCarthy out of Michigan. As of right now, journeyman Sam Darnold is set to be the starting quarterback after signing with the Vikings as a free agent this month.

Whoever is under center for the Vikings will have the luxury of Jefferson as his main target. That should make life easier on the offense regardless of who is throwing the ball.

“You watch Justin and he does things that other guys cannot do,” O’Connell said. “Whether it’s a short, an intermediate, or a long route, he has the ability to do things explosively at full speed with total control of every facet of his body as he goes to attack the ball in the air.”

The elephant in the room is the fact that Jefferson still hasn’t signed his contract extension. Not that there’s any reason to believe that it won’t get done at some point.

Let’s just say the Vikings understand how important Jefferson is and how important he will be if they decide to take a big swing in the draft.

“Nobody has had more success through the first four years of their career than Justin Jefferson at the receiver position,” O’Connell said. “That’s a fact. That’s not just my opinion. That can go a long way for a young quarterback to have a guy like that.”
This bothers me quite a bit. I don’t want my WRs vetoing personal decisions. There is no scenario where involving players in NFL roster decisions is a good thing. KOC and Kwesi bother me so much with this shit.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Small Hands wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:01 am
weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:02 am Vikings will keep Justin Jefferson involved in future plans at quarterback

This bothers me quite a bit. I don’t want my WRs vetoing personal decisions. There is no scenario where involving players in NFL roster decisions is a good thing. KOC and Kwesi bother me so much with this shit.
The article doesn’t say anything about Jefferson having veto power. It only says they’re keeping him in the loop about their plans. I have no problem with that whatsoever.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:00 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:52 am
Nice try, Kevin!
here's an interesting mock. is daniels fading? could the vikings play a game of high stakes chicken and stay at 11?

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-mock-draft ... 18912.html
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:05 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:00 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:52 am
Nice try, Kevin!
here's an interesting mock. is daniels fading? could the vikings play a game of high stakes chicken and stay at 11?

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-mock-draft ... 18912.html
Looks like a patriots fan did that mock.

- Isaac Asimov
R403

Post by R403 »

Hmmmmm

Vikings TO ATTEND Jayden Daniels pro day.

Skipped the JJ McCarthy pro day….. :thinking:
R403

Post by R403 »

Dan Orlosky or whatever his name on ESPN said on TV today he’s hearing Minnesota wants to get up to number two and take Daniels
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

WTF is wrong with his elbow?
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:21 am
Small Hands wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:01 am

The article doesn’t say anything about Jefferson having veto power. It only says they’re keeping him in the loop about their plans. I have no problem with that whatsoever.
Yeah, calling it a veto is a bit of an assumption. I do think if they are on the fence between two guys, JJ's input could have some weight. And I would be fine with that. Also, JJ doesnt come off as a guy that would create a deal breaking moment with any of these top end prospects. He might prefer someone, but just as a side note here.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:19 am
Yikes! Looks like some sort of AI generated image glitch.

- Isaac Asimov
D_H

Post by D_H »

Minnesota vikings to attend Daniels pro day

Interesting they skipped mccarthy pro day and are going to this one
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

D_H wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:27 am Minnesota vikings to attend Daniels pro day

Oops.

They’re doing diligence on all these guys.

- Isaac Asimov
D_H

Post by D_H »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:53 am
D_H wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:27 am Minnesota vikings to attend Daniels pro day

Oops.

They’re doing diligence on all these guys.

:thumbsup:

https://athlonsports.com/nation/bringme ... ther-teams
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

There is way more evidence they are not interested in Bo Nix than JJ. There is absolutely no steam on Bo Nix so far. Does this mean they don't like him? No but it doesn't look great and same for Penix.

JJ is getting just as much due diligence as Daniels and Maye.
R403

Post by R403 »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:07 pm There is way more evidence they are not interested in Bo Nix than JJ. There is absolutely no steam on Bo Nix so far. Does this mean they don't like him? No but it doesn't look great and same for Penix.

There is a lot of posturing going on too I think
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

R403 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:10 pm
-VikingsTw- wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:07 pm There is way more evidence they are not interested in Bo Nix than JJ. There is absolutely no steam on Bo Nix so far. Does this mean they don't like him? No but it doesn't look great and same for Penix.

Sure. And sometimes you take the guy you scout the least (at least in terms of obvious things like pro days, etc).

So maybe it’s Penix. Who knows?

- Isaac Asimov
R403

Post by R403 »

I certainly hope general managers are smart enough to stay away on how well perspective quarterbacks do in interviews, chalkboard drawings, and such it means absolutely nothing.

Guts that impressed GMs in interviews
Derek Carr, Christian ponder, Chad Henne, Joey Harrington, Sam Darnold, Matt Leinart, Josh Rosen, Brady Quinn, Rick Mirer.

Beware of a guy that comes across as a back slapper and great in classroom situations.
R403

Post by R403 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:20 pm
R403 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:10 pm

Sure. And sometimes you take the guy you scout the least (at least in terms of obvious things like pro days, etc).

So maybe it’s Penix. Who knows?

Best arm talent in draft for sure
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:24 am

I now expect Jayden Daniels to be there at 11.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:38 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:24 am

I now expect Jayden Daniels to be there at 11.
Ugly elbows. Would not draft.

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Interesting perspective/insight.

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:47 pm

Interesting perspective/insight.
I have no interest in trading to #4 without knowing what is there. Ill take a trade to #3 like RIGHT NOW though.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

No idea what to believe at this point. :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/minn ... n-daniels/
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

I will say again, I would avoid Jayden Daniels as I think he will get "broken." Maybe he is gumby in waiting, but his running will get his RG3'd really quickly if not controlled.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Matt Miller's latest mock has MN taking Drake Maye at #3 and Denver taking JJ McCarthy at #4.
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

Denver doesn't have a 2nd round pick this year, the Vikings can beat any offer they have. The only team that concerns me in beating us to 4 would be the Giants. The only way I see us doing this is if we trade with NE or LAC. I think AZ wants a WR and will pick in the top 6 to get that receiver.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:13 pm Denver doesn't have a 2nd round pick this year, the Vikings can beat any offer they have. The only team that concerns me in beating us to 4 would be the Giants. The only way I see us doing this is if we trade with NE or LAC. I think AZ wants a WR and will pick in the top 6 to get that receiver.
Quite possibly. AZ may be fine with just getting one of the top 4 WR's while picking up another 1st round pick to get another premium player. Who knows. I do think that that Vikings want Maye or McCarthy. Likely 1A and 1B respectively. I am watching "Patriots Today" on Youtube and the guy is doing a mock for the Patriots if they trade the #3 pick to the Vikings for #11, #23, #129 (4th rounder) and the 2025 first rounder. Vikings would get #3 and #137 (5th rounder). Guy has the Patriots taking:

#11 - Brock Bowers
#23 - Brian Thomas Jr.
#29 - Tyler Guyton OL after trading back into the 1st round
#56 - Spencer Rattler Qb after trading with Cleveland
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

William Munny wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:35 pm Matt Miller's latest mock has MN taking Drake Maye at #3 and Denver taking JJ McCarthy at #4.
This would not surprise me.

- Isaac Asimov
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

William Munny wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:22 pm
Señor Trumpo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:13 pm Denver doesn't have a 2nd round pick this year, the Vikings can beat any offer they have. The only team that concerns me in beating us to 4 would be the Giants. The only way I see us doing this is if we trade with NE or LAC. I think AZ wants a WR and will pick in the top 6 to get that receiver.
Quite possibly. AZ may be fine with just getting one of the top 4 WR's while picking up another 1st round pick to get another premium player. Who knows. I do think that that Vikings want Maye or McCarthy. Likely 1A and 1B respectively. I am watching "Patriots Today" on Youtube and the guy is doing a mock for the Patriots if they trade the #3 pick to the Vikings for #11, #23, #129 (4th rounder) and the 2025 first rounder. Vikings would get #3 and #137 (5th rounder). Guy has the Patriots taking:

#11 - Brock Bowers
#23 - Brian Thomas Jr.
#29 - Tyler Guyton OL after trading back into the 1st round
#56 - Spencer Rattler Qb after trading with Cleveland
Good result, but why even bother taking Rattler in that case? You'll have two first round picks next year, just anticipate using those to get your QB of the future. Even if it's a "downyear" for QBs, you'll still probably have a good chance to get someone better than Rattler, and defer the rookie scale contract.

At 56 you could still get a great defensive piece that could be a contributor for 10 years.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis