Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2024 Looks Like a Great Year for the Vikings to Draft a Quarterback

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Beef Supreme

Re: 2024 Looks Like a Great Year for the Vikings to Draft a Quarterback

Post by Beef Supreme »

minnemike wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:30 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:54 am

It’s smokescreen season, so take everything with a grain of salt, but what’s the value of saying this if it’s not true. If you are sold on QB3, why float this out there? What’s the gain?
Maybe because they are only sold on a couple QBs. OR, they will take whatever, but don't want to commit and just say, we are happy with whoever. They will want to say, yes! We got the guy we really wanted all along!
Maybe. But they pick 3rd. They’re going to have a pretty good idea. Two of McCarthy, Daniels, and Maye will be there. If they like only one of them, you might have a point.

I think it’s more likely the pick is honestly for sale.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

After listening to KOC on KFAN and Pat McAfee today I would say that his preferred order is Maye, McCarthy, Daniels. He talked up both Daniels and McCarthy without saying much about Maye. He also mentioned on the PM show that accuracy can possibly be fixed depending on what you study and brought up footwork and base. It sounds like he is getting ready to do some work on footwork.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:37 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:54 am

It’s smokescreen season, so take everything with a grain of salt, but what’s the value of saying this if it’s not true. If you are sold on QB3, why float this out there? What’s the gain?
Maybe because they are only sold on a couple QBs. OR, they will take whatever, but don't want to commit and just say, we are happy with whoever. They will want to say, yes! We got the guy we really wanted all along!
Maybe. But they pick 3rd. They’re going to have a pretty good idea. Two of McCarthy, Daniels, and Maye will be there. If they like only one of them, you might have a point.

The more and more this goes on makes me think the only guy the Vikings are willing to trade up for is Maye. I think this deal would already be done if they knew they were getting him but if it’s to happen, it will be on draft night.

I keep hearing “If they get to #3 they are guaranteed someone” I don’t think they are willing to trade up for Daniels or McCarthy (At least this high).

It’s pretty obvious imo that Maye is their guy but I think what’s starting to become clear is they aren’t interested in paying a big price for what remains if Maye is drafted.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:25 pm

The more and more this goes on makes me think the only guy the Vikings are willing to trade up for is Maye. I think this deal would already be done if they knew they were getting him but if it’s to happen, it will be on draft night.

I keep hearing “If they get to #3 they are guaranteed someone” I don’t think they are willing to trade up for Daniels or McCarthy (At least this high).

It’s pretty obvious imo that Maye is their guy but I think what’s starting to become clear is they aren’t interested in paying a big price for what remains if Maye is drafted.
That makes a lot of sense.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Hard to know for sure. But if the price is steep, they have a month to try to get that price down. If NE isn’t in love with the options, it’s in their best interested to get something for the pick. It’s a lot of blanks to fill in that we just can’t fill as Froobs on the sideline. But the only urgency would be if someone else was going to move up. That could happen, but it doesn’t seem that anything is imminent. And if another team did jump in, New England would be fools not to give Minnesota a chance to beat their offer.

It also could be contingent on who is available. You could be right that we like Maye. We could have an offer agreed on if Maye is there at 3. But if Washington takes Maye 2, then we back out. So nothing might happen until draft day. All the dominos could be set behind the scenes, though.

- Isaac Asimov
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:32 pm

Hard to know for sure. But if the price is steep, they have a month to try to get that price down. If NE isn’t in love with the options, it’s in their best interested to get something for the pick. It’s a lot of blanks to fill in that we just can’t fill as Froobs on the sideline. But the only urgency would be if someone else was going to move up. That could happen, but it doesn’t seem that anything is imminent. And if another team did jump in, New England would be fools not to give Minnesota a chance to beat their offer.

It also could be contingent on who is available. You could be right that we like Maye. We could have an offer agreed on if Maye is there at 3. But if Washington takes Maye 2, then we back out. So nothing might happen until draft day. All the dominos could be set behind the scenes, though.
It could also be a 2 step trade where NE only wants to drop to 5 so MN would trade 11, 23 to LAC for #5 and then trade #5 for #3 and their 2025 1st.

I could see this happening, but would complicate the process.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:10 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:32 pm

It could also be a 2 step trade where NE only wants to drop to 5 so MN would trade 11, 23 to LAC for #5 and then trade #5 for #3 and their 2025 1st.

I could see this happening, but would complicate the process.
Possible.

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

I can’t see that being the trade NE would want.

MHJ is gone for them in that scenario and if they wanted a QB, they likely just take one at #3.

The only way them moving to #5 makes sense is if they then try to flip #5 to a QB needy team for the last guy who remains. Maybe they can snag an extra 1st rounder in that scenario but it won’t come in this years draft like the Vikings already have.

If I’m New England I want #11, #23 and a 2025 1st rounder.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:17 pm I can’t see that being the trade NE would want.

MHJ is gone for them in that scenario and if they wanted a QB, they likely just take one at #3.

The only way them moving to #5 makes sense is if they then try to flip #5 to a QB needy team for the last guy who remains. Maybe they can snag an extra 1st rounder in that scenario but it won’t come in this years draft like the Vikings already have.

Pretty nice deal for them.

If I’m Kwesi, I’m trying to get a 4th or two back if I can. Value charts (I know, I know…) suggest that we should get something back.

- Isaac Asimov
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:17 pm I can’t see that being the trade NE would want.

Unless they are wanting one of the top 3 receivers. With this scenario they get the 2nd best receiver and an extra 2025 1st round pick which will probably be fairly high when we start Darnold and a rookie QB.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:29 pm

Unless they are wanting one of the top 3 receivers. With this scenario they get the 2nd best receiver and an extra 2025 1st round pick which will probably be fairly high when we start Darnold and a rookie QB.
True. Still a few blue chippers available at that spot.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:29 pm

This is why in the Froob Mock trade I did with the Charges I did NOT include the 2025 first.

The Vikings in that trade really traded 2024 first and 2nd, 2025 2nd and 3rd, and 2026 first. If we can at least mediocrity in 2025, that pushes the trade value down significantly.

And look at the Froob mock. The Chargers to CB Terrion Arnold at #11. Nice player but he isn't going to change the world nor is the player at 23. They all could flop, just like McCarthy but the difference is they do not have the possibility of being a franchise level QB. Thats why I trade up in this draft.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

I believe that #11, #23 and 2025 1st rounder is the base-line/possibly acceptable offer to have a discussion about trading up to #3.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

William Munny wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:08 pm

I believe that #11, #23 and 2025 1st rounder is the base-line/possibly acceptable offer to have a discussion about trading up to #3.
I think there’s a chance we could get a 4 back or something in the deal. Wouldn’t be a dealbreaker for me, but I think we might be able to get it.

- Isaac Asimov
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Less than a month away and this place is abuzz! Can’t remember a draft that everyone has been this excited for.

We needed to do this with the quarterback position. We needed a new direction ever since Teddy went down. It might go back even further to when we needed to win for AP and missed at quarterback for big stretches.

Rick was shortsighted. He rarely took a first round quarterback, but when he did he went for someone falling. Teddy was probably his best pick, but when he went down everything changed on this team. We went from one broken down quarterback to the next until Kirk came.

But Kirk was another team’s cast off… and we should know today that if a team lets a quarterback get away something is not good enough about him.

If Rick was GM he would have picked up Fields and sold him to the fan base like he did with Cousins. Teams don’t let a quarterback walk if he has that special sauce.

That is what makes this so exciting! We didn’t hold onto Kirk. We finally took a leap of faith.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

cunningham wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:58 pm Less than a month away and this place is abuzz! Can’t remember a draft that everyone has been this excited for.

We needed to do this with the quarterback position. We needed a new direction ever since Teddy went down. It might go back even further to when we needed to win for AP and missed at quarterback for big stretches.

Rick was shortsighted. He rarely took a first round quarterback, but when he did he went for someone falling. Teddy was probably his best pick, but when he went down everything changed on this team. We went from one broken down quarterback to the next until Kirk came.

But Kirk was another team’s cast off… and we should know today that if a team lets a quarterback get away something is not good enough about him.

If Rick was GM he would have picked up Fields and sold him to the fan base like he did with Cousins. Teams don’t let a quarterback walk if he has that special sauce.

That is what makes this so exciting! We didn’t hold onto Kirk. We finally took a leap of faith.
When Teddy went down, Rock had the right idea in his head. Teddy was a 2014 draft pick. He did okay as a rookie and the team went 11-5 in 2015. The defense was about to peak. Maybe a healthy Teddy wasn’t good enough to get over the hump (probably not), but he couldn’t afford to draft a guy and give him two more years to develop. The defense was ready in 2016. By 2018, the defense was beginning to slide. He knew he had to get a vet. He wasn’t wrong about that. But that (correct) idea led him to reach in desperation and give up a 1 for Bradford. After that flamed out, he got lightning in a bottle with Keenum but then tried the vet fix again with Kirk to try to capitalize on what was left of the defense. But by then the timing was off, the window closed, and the thing fell apart.

The rest of his tenure was grasping at straws to put the toothpaste back in the tube.

This is why getting a rookie while the team is transitioning is exciting. Get yourself a 15 year window to get it done. Suddenly, you can play the long game and build the team right and don’t have to make panic moves to try to cram it into a small window or to try in vain to keep that window open longer.

Get it done, Kwesi!

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sack data:

Maye and Williams: okay
McCarthy: good
Daniels: not good
Nix: really good
Penix: Class by himself

- Isaac Asimov
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:06 pm
cunningham wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:58 pm Less than a month away and this place is abuzz! Can’t remember a draft that everyone has been this excited for.

When Teddy went down, Rock had the right idea in his head. Teddy was a 2014 draft pick. He did okay as a rookie and the team went 11-5 in 2015. The defense was about to peak. Maybe a healthy Teddy wasn’t good enough to get over the hump (probably not), but he couldn’t afford to draft a guy and give him two more years to develop. The defense was ready in 2016. By 2018, the defense was beginning to slide. He knew he had to get a vet. He wasn’t wrong about that. But that (correct) idea led him to reach in desperation and give up a 1 for Bradford. After that flamed out, he got lightning in a bottle with Keenum but then tried the vet fix again with Kirk to try to capitalize on what was left of the defense. But by then the timing was off, the window closed, and the thing fell apart.

The rest of his tenure was grasping at straws to put the toothpaste back in the tube.

This is why getting a rookie while the team is transitioning is exciting. Get yourself a 15 year window to get it done. Suddenly, you can play the long game and build the team right and don’t have to make panic moves to try to cram it into a small window or to try in vain to keep that window open longer.

Get it done, Kwesi!
The timing has been off forever. When Cousins came here we were peaking. The problem was that Couains wasn’t good enough to run the DeFillippo offense. Stefanski was groomed here and was the best we’ve had since Norm. The Kubiaks were washed up and Kirk got worse. Bring in KOC and Kirk plays the best football of his career. But not good enough. This year was a regression and the urgency to start over at quarterback appeared.

But Kirk is never one to miss out on a buck to be made. With Rodgers also going down with the same injury and losses not seeming his fault(as usual) he cashed in.

Cousins and his agent conned this team. It cost coaches; a GM, and many years of our lives. He was never and will never be any more than a paper tiger. Better than the bottom; but nothing really memorable.

A Kenny Loggins song.

I like Darnold a little bit and maybe he becomes our Mayfield? Let a rookie learn this complicated offense: We’ve got Hall too. Maybe something special comes out of this?
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:24 pm Sack data:

Kurt Warner talked about Penix getting the ball out quick and not getting sacked very much. I think he only got sacked like 7 times last season.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

William Munny wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:47 pm

Kurt Warner talked about Penix getting the ball out quick and not getting sacked very much. I think he only got sacked like 7 times last season.
It’s a strength of his. He processes what he sees really fast. He doesn’t have a quick release, but he does make lightning quick, and usually good, decisions.

Michigan cracked that code and got to him. I don’t know if he was actually sacked or not in the title game, but they made him more uncomfortable than I saw all year.

- Isaac Asimov
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Hold on Folks!! Maye is being challenged for front runner status.
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
witljon

Post by witljon »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:06 pm

It’s a strength of his. He processes what he sees really fast. He doesn’t have a quick release, but he does make lightning quick, and usually good, decisions.

Michigan cracked that code and got to him. I don’t know if he was actually sacked or not in the title game, but they made him more uncomfortable than I saw all year.
I felt Washington was overwhelmed by Michigans superior talent on both sides of the ball.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

witljon wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:23 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:06 pm

I felt Washington was overwhelmed by Michigans superior talent on both sides of the ball.
Agreed. But it affected Penix. Even if overwhelmed at the end of the day, he had good WRs. Enough talent to at least make a show for themselves. But they never got any rhythm or anything really going.

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

I don’t believe the Vikings have any interest in Penix.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

I wonder with Rick Spielman being in the Washington front office how that might play into the draft?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:52 am
Nice try, Kevin!

- Isaac Asimov
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

cunningham wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:15 am I wonder with Rick Spielman being in the Washington front office how that might play into the draft?
My understanding is that he is not in the front office, but was instead just part of the search committee tasked with helping them decide on a new GM.
That would be a consulting project, and once the project was over (the GM has been hired), the relationship would sever.

That’s my understanding.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:24 am

Can anybody else figure out why this guy is an EX GM? :lol:
He's just slinging that b.s. One of the dumbest tweets ever...and that's saying something!
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:28 am
Señor Trumpo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:24 am

Can anybody else figure out why this guy is an EX GM? :lol:
Oh, I understand why he wants to get rid of Kyler but I love it when they just presume that another team wants their garbage so they can make room.
When he says "trade", he means Murray and a Cardinal high pick to any team who would take him on, right? :shrug: